PDA

View Full Version : 625 points High Elves vs Orcs

Radioactive Bob
25-08-2007, 19:24
We were playing a mighty empire game, so with halved revenue we got 125 extra from 500.

His army:

Mage- Lv 2
Spells(Law of Shadows):
Pit of Shades
Steed of Shadows

10 High Elf Archers

10 High Elf Spear Men

Bolt Thrower

My Army

Orc Shaman
Lv 2

Spells(Big Waaagh!):
Fists of Gork
Gaze of Mork

Nibbla's Itty Ring
Warboss Umm's Best Boss At

20 Orc Boys Add. Choppa, F. Command

5 Spider Riders, Bows

7 Squig Hoppers

2 Trolls

Spear Chukka w. Bully

Set Up

There were two hills on oppostie edges (my right), and two rocky out crops opoosite each other further in.

He deployed his entire force on one hill, whilst I had the boyz and the hoppers on 12" lign, with the troll. The Mage was behind them. The spider riders were on the right flank and the spear chukka on the left hill.

Turn 1

He chose first turn, but didn't move. He failed to cast Shades, but his bolt thrower killed two crewmen on the Chukka and took a wound off the the machine. his archers were out of range. The Crew fled and were an inch onto the table.

My turn, animosity, the boyz rolled a 1 and stayed put, the Spiders rolled a 6 and went 6 inches. The crew fled off the board, but the trolls passed stupidity and hurtled towards the spearmen. The spider got the the flank of the archers and wheeled. The Squig Hoppers went 5", but I was cautious and moved them behind some rocks. i was out of range with any magic. The spider riders did no damage with shooting.

Turn 2

He wheeled his archers to face the spiders, but that was it for movement. He couldn't cast shades again. The archers did no damage on the spiders (wow!!)but the bolt thrower took a wound off the trolls.

Animosity- Boyz passed, spiders passed. Charges- Spiders into archers, stand and shoot but I was within 7". The trolls passed stupidity and ended up 1" away from the spearmen. The Squig Hoppers went 7", but I was again cautious with them, although they emerged from the rocks. The Mage went forwards a bit. Magic- again out of range. Combat- The spiders killed two elves, and so did their riders. He did nothing back. He lost by three and fled, I went straight over his unit into the flank of the spear men.

Turn 3

His mage moved from behind the spearmen to behind the spider riders, but that was all. Again, he couldn't cast shades. Shooting- The bolt thrower hit the trolls and did another wound. Combat- the spider riders killed three spearmen but they held.

The Boyz moved another 8", but the shaman stayed put. The trolls went into the spearmen. The spiders moved a measly 4" towards the mage. Nothing to target with magic. No shooting. Combat- trolls killed 4. spider riders killed nothing. The spearmen killed two spider riders, but break and flee, and the trolls go into the bolt thrower crew.

Turn 4

He didn't cast shades again!!!!:D:p, but did miscast and lose a wound. ;). He moved 8" away from the squigs. Combat- the bolt thrower crew were wiped out, the trolls off the board.

The squigs go a dynamic 17", taking them into the mage. They killed him with their razor sharp teeth.

To summarise

We'd both been playing for the smae amount of time, but he was unlucky with magic. i only lost a spider rider and the bolt thrower, so a massacre to me

Woohoo

Glorfindel
30-08-2007, 14:58
bad choice of elven troops imo, 10 spearmen? this way you can't even use your "fighting in 3 ranks" bonus

Buckero0
30-08-2007, 18:42
there is no good choice of high elves at that point cost. All the elves cost so much, that taking them in a small point game is a folly to begin with. Taking a mage in small games is also counterproductive. I would assume that both players were new to the game and that's why they were playing such a small point game. I hope they had fun, because that's what leads to having larger, more balanced and fun games.
Trying to get pit of shades to go off with a level 2 mage is really hard. You only do it 1/4 of the time unless they had the silver wand (whatever makes him able to cast with one extra die)

Omegakai
31-08-2007, 02:40
Lies. at that point cost SILVER HELMS are totally orsm.
i would have taken a unit of silver helms
a hero with a magic x3x5 bow
2 units of archers and a bolt thrower.
it would have been carnage for the orcs and g.

lastly you never took a fear test as far as i can see

Tutore
31-08-2007, 12:34
Lies. at that point cost SILVER HELMS are totally orsm.
i would have taken a unit of silver helms
a hero with a magic x3x5 bow
2 units of archers and a bolt thrower.
it would have been carnage for the orcs and g.

lastly you never took a fear test as far as i can see

Good point. I would have taken: 1 commander on barded steed with no magic item (less than 100 points), then 2 units of silver helms (95x2), 1 unit of ellyrion reavers with musician (97 p.), 1 great eagle, 1 tiranoc chariot, 10 archers. Just an example.

In the first turn you played wrong the bolt thrower: if the unit of the spear chucka is hit, the crew OR the machine is hit. Then again, if the crew due to random (5-6) is hit, only 1 goblin/bully may die. The bolt thrower rules apply only in ranked units, which the spear chucka is not.

EvC
31-08-2007, 21:01
...or it just fired six shots, meaning it's perfectly possible to kill the crew and damage the machine...

Tutore
01-09-2007, 12:33
...or it just fired six shots, meaning it's perfectly possible to kill the crew and damage the machine...

I'm lame. You are right.

Radioactive Bob
01-09-2007, 18:12
I only needed to take one for the spiders, which I passed.

Little Aaad
01-09-2007, 22:47
Alex!!!! It Is U!!!!

Radioactive Bob
02-09-2007, 17:40
:) For anyone who though that was random, we both play in the same campaign. Rather coincidental. :D

Anyway, in the conclusion of the campaign all players had a big slog for the crown. in the end the elves won, but only just with Orcs second and Chaos third. it was annoying, 1st place got 15 worth of stuff, second got a big fat nothing.

Dragon Prince of Caledor
03-09-2007, 20:15
I think that seaguard and characters would have done him better. They cover archers and the bolt thrower. Take two units of 15 and try to squeeze in a character.
Or two units of like 6 silver helms witha character

superduperkoopatrooper
21-09-2007, 10:15
Just thought i'd point out that war machines don't take panic tests for loss of crew. Spear chukkas don't stand a chance of hanging around without this!

Radioactive Bob
21-09-2007, 17:28
Oh. Don't they!!!! That meant I could have won by a bit more!

Tutore
21-09-2007, 20:29
They do take panic tests for losing crew.

superduperkoopatrooper
21-09-2007, 23:19
No they don't, check the rules for shooting at war machines. p85 of the mini BFSP rulebook.

skott4991
01-10-2007, 16:02
No they don't, check the rules for shooting at war machines. p85 of the mini BFSP rulebook.

This is true.

Nice bat rep anyway ;)

Dark_Mage99
06-10-2007, 16:18
Nice read :D