PDA

View Full Version : HH book series....INTO A MOVIE SERIES

Homemaster
25-08-2007, 20:03
Is this a possibility in the future? Is this the means through which a 40k movie could finally be made? I've read the first 5 books in the series, and while I'm not sure how many are left, I am definitely inspired.

The books are very vivid and give a good description of events, with many themes and emotions being played throughout (obviously, a major one is betrayal). I have decided that in the future I will want to write up a script for a Horus Heresy Trilogy. The first film, I'm thinking at this point in time, would consist of the first three books, and perhaps a little bit of the 4th, ending with the Istvaan III battle.

First of all there are some things I (but not necessarily me, anyone who actually gets legal rights to the movie/books) probably have to do. Read ALL of the Index Astartes, pour over the HH books in detail and cut chapters from them, work on dialogue (seriously), and work out the best succession of events. An epic task for anyone. In fact, the simple fact that these books would be the most epic undertaking is reason enough to try. The imagery I get from reading them would translate so well to film, and what better story from 40k to portray to the world. This is going to be a private project of mine, only seen by myself, but I'm so inspired by the books I'm going to give it a go.

Thoughts on anything, especially the idea of these books becomign film footage.

HH FTW!

Crazy Tom
25-08-2007, 20:50
Find actors large enough to play the central roles and you've got yourself a movie. ;)

Homemaster
25-08-2007, 21:16
Find actors large enough to play the central roles and you've got yourself a movie. ;)

yeah animation is a possibility of the future!

Sergeant Uriel Ventris
25-08-2007, 21:33
Aw, no Tom Cruise as Horus? BWA HA HAA!

aximand
25-08-2007, 21:37
It's been discussed again before with half the forum believing it is possible and the other half not...
I say it can be done,think of a hardcore version of starwars ep 2 and 3.
If ILM can do full cg clone troopers and cg full scale wars it can be done...(though 40k is all full scale war so it would be much more expensive)
With a good budget and a better production team i see us drooling our mothers milk all over the theaters(LOL)
Anyway cg animation is the only way it can be done.
My 2 cents.
Cheers!

kaimarion
25-08-2007, 21:56
This will probably not happen but I would LOVE to see HH movies plus they could make some people stop thinking the hobby is nerdy even though it is ;) .

Sergeant Uriel Ventris
25-08-2007, 22:07
I'm sure when they first proposed a Lord of the Rings movie, there were a lot of naysayers and can't-be-done-ers, but that thing turned out pretty darn well. Of course there are a lot of hard-core fans who were not pleased with the movies and never will be, but that's bound to happen. I think even if they did it live-action, using some tricks like the tiny hobbits in LoTR, it could come out pretty incredible. I was actually thinking that Inquisitor would probably be the best way to intoduce the rest of the world to the Warhammer 40K universe. Mostly human, small groups, a Space Marine here or there, intruigue...EISENHORN!!

That being said, I'd also love to see the Horus Heresey done. They COULD do it, if done by the right people (and not like that terrible Dungeons and Dragons movie...) it would be fantastic, and I think it would be a huge boon to GW and it's gaming community. Plus, yes, there would be the semen staining from the loyal fanboys in the theater, myself included.

Homemaster
25-08-2007, 22:08
The point of thsi thread actually revolves around the idea of UNDERTAKING such a project as writing a script for a movie. Let's concentrate on seeing if a community could be built to further this great cause :P

I'm deadly serious.

Kage2020
25-08-2007, 22:43
Good luck with it. I just think the practical realities make it difficult at best to achieve.

Kage

Homemaster
25-08-2007, 22:50
Harder things, such as getting man on the moon, have been achieved.

No?

Luthien
25-08-2007, 22:53
This is totally possible, however there isn't a large enough market for it, it would be a very niche(sp) movie and wouldn't justify the massive budget needed to make it, make it well that is

McNuggets
25-08-2007, 22:54
I think that the Eisenhorn series would make much better films as the Horus Herey requires some previous knowledge of 40k where as some of my non gaming freinds have read Eisenhorn and found it great

CELS
25-08-2007, 22:55
Harder things, such as getting man on the moon, have been achieved.

No?

Yes, but I'm pretty sure that didn't start out as a chat between a few people who lived in their parents' basement, unlike most of these threads ;)

Anyway, I realise this thread is not about whether it can be done, but rather about how it could be done. With that in mind, I agree that the novels are a good start.

PS: Be careful with how far you take this planning though. Before you know it, your script will be banned by GW :p

Homemaster
25-08-2007, 23:18
Yes, but I'm pretty sure that didn't start out as a chat between a few people who lived in their parents' basement, unlike most of these threads ;)

Anyway, I realise this thread is not about whether it can be done, but rather about how it could be done. With that in mind, I agree that the novels are a good start.

PS: Be careful with how far you take this planning though. Before you know it, your script will be banned by GW :p

I agree, quite possibly there are legal implications, but it could just relate to actual production of a film, rather than a script. Anyone have any clues on this?

Oh and you really don't need to know the Universe for this story, I think it happens to contain quite universal themes, and awesome story line.

Kage2020
25-08-2007, 23:23
On the bright side, plagiarism wouldn't be that much of a problem. The dialogue would have to be significantly improved... ;)

Kage

Crazy Tom
26-08-2007, 01:03
Improved? More like 'replaced'... with words an actual human would actually say.

Yes, I know they aren't human. That's not the point.

TheMartyr451
26-08-2007, 02:47
Wow...I thought I was the only one who thought this.

Personally, if done right, I think the Horus Heresy Series would be the most epic set of filmas of all time. But only if done right.

I vote Patrick Stewart as Horus XD

Tehkonrad
26-08-2007, 04:39
i vote antonio banderas as fulgrim WOOOO LATINO HEAT!!!!!!

aside ferom that jim carrey as the big E come on clumsyily hilaroius canadians! !

Brother Siccarius
26-08-2007, 04:55

He's a little too insane, Horus was sane, intelligent and deep once you know.

The pestilent 1
26-08-2007, 08:53
This is totally possible, however there isn't a large enough market for it, it would be a very niche(sp) movie and wouldn't justify the massive budget needed to make it, make it well that is

You know, they said that about Transformers.

Last week it announced $600,000 in box office sales in America and Europe.
On a $100,000 Budget, no less.

Arcanus
26-08-2007, 09:02
You know, they said that about Transformers.

Last week it announced $600,000 in box office sales in America and Europe.
On a $100,000 Budget, no less.

All I know is that if it was made into a movie I'd go see it. My question is what kind of accent would you think they have in the future? Do you think the 40k characters have British accents because GW is based in Britain.

Homemaster
26-08-2007, 09:41

Yeah, the Transformers figures are a good example of how a "niche market" can appeal to a lot of people. If a 40k movie came out, a lot of people would just think it was another science fiction movie and go see it (with proper advertising and a sweet trailer,of course).

The problem is those who did know what it was about but didn't play it could spread mean things about it. Damn jocks!

Really though, it would appeal to teenage boys, and males in general.

Flame Boy
26-08-2007, 09:54

Surely He would be better cast as Aximand? He seems more of a "Little Horus" to me. :p

Okay, lame jokes aside, I think the film would require a lot of streamlining to make it approachable to the wider market. Having to explain why every computer is called a cogitator is just one of the little pieces of jargon that help to seperate the 31st millenium from our time, but could quite easily cause confusion to joe public. As already said, these kind of alterations would probably make quite a few hardcore fans rather discontent as a result.

Beesterdo
26-08-2007, 10:25
Definitely, the streamlining would be absolutely essential. The amount of Jargon in this game is huge and all us regulars take it for granted. Although as I hardcore fan myself, I would happily put up with these little things in order to see it on the big screen.

I could see this as a possibility. The way the books are written, they read like a movie rather than a novel, if you know what I mean. Given the recent success of Transformers and even Lord of the Rings, not to mention the massive influx of Super Hero movies, I think a Horus Heresy movie would be very well received due to its rich universe and great plot.

ryng_sting
26-08-2007, 12:04
Possible, but unlikely.

'They said that about Transformers': which already had one film made, has been a mainstay of popular culture for over twenty years, and had Steven Spielberg lobbying for it. Not so for 40k.

'They said about Lord of the Rings' - again, already had one film made, and enjoyed a global cult following decades before a film trilogy had even pitched to the studios.

The Heresy is too big for anything less than a LOTR-sized trilogy. No studio now will put up the kind of money needed to film it. If they're having big trouble financing The Hobbit, and the next part of a proven hit like the Terminator series, what makes you think they're going to fund one film, based on a tabletop game that isn't hugely popular in North America, let alone three?

A 40k film should be epic, but also have a stand-alone quality. (The 2nd War for Armageddon, to my mind, would be a strong candidate.)

Accents: American, sadly. If it a 40k film ever happens it'll be financed with US dollars and so will be aimed squarely at the US market.

mick005usa
26-08-2007, 13:47
I've been thinking the Horus Heresy series would make a great movie. The books themselves seem like they can be condensed down fairly well into a "talky."

The nice thing about HH is that it requires very little knowledge of 40k to understand...don't you think? It's a very anthropocentric view of 40k. Humans, or at least marines, which can be identified with by the average movie-goer, are the clear protagonists. The antagonists, chaos mainly, are simply altered human beings, which would make HH generally sort of a "man vs. himself" story.

I think you could condense down the series into three pieces, with Istvaan III being the begining...sort of the fall from grace. The second film could cover, say, Istvaan III and the wars that followed, up to the invasion of Terra. Then, naturally, the final film would cover the war on Terra, which certainly merits it's own film. Anyhow, i only know general events from this period, so i'm certainly not able to divvy it up the way it deserves. It certainly could be done though.

They've made movies from sci-fi and fantasy novels, comic books, video games and role playing games. Why not mega-geek tabletop gaming! Cazart!

Luthien
26-08-2007, 14:32
Yeah and you could explain the great crusade through flashbacks

BlackLegion
28-08-2007, 06:32
Really if this is going to be a trilogy the first movie has to be the first three novels of the HH series (thats a lot of stuff to squeeze into only one movie, but it has to be done). The second could be the dropside massacre and the last one the siege of terra.

Kage2020
28-08-2007, 12:23
Film trilogies aren't doing too well at the moment... ;)

Kage

ArtificerArmour
28-08-2007, 13:01
I'm thinking it would end up like starship troopers - Power armours just too difficult to convincingly pull off.

Kage2020
28-08-2007, 13:55
..Especially how portrayed in the novels. :eyebrows:

Kage

Arcanus
28-08-2007, 14:00
Accents: American, sadly. If it a 40k film ever happens it'll be financed with US dollars and so will be aimed squarely at the US market.

What's wrong with American accents and also I think it would be better if it was made in United States of America because we have a superior "movie business." Also I think the movie would have to be done like 300 filmed in front of a green screen. The actors in the movie would have to be tall and then their bodies would be augemented on film to make them look larger (If they were marines). I have another question would their be people with darker skin tones in the movie because GW represents the game with no people of hispanic or african descent.

Kage2020
28-08-2007, 14:11
In the "grim, dark universe" of the 40k universe, do we really care about being politically correct? Of course not. It's not hard to put biological variation into the 40k universe, but at the same time it's not even a part of the theme of that universe. After all, who gives a damn that someone has a slightly different tone of skin to you when - hell! - most people from different worlds are going to have a different colour skin. Again, who is going to give a damn that the spacing between two bones of the face is going to be slightly different to people from another world when - damn! - people from the other world happen to be 9' tall.

Ye gadz, in a universe that tries to play out moral absolutism as a means of distinction, let us leave biological relativism in it's backward place.

Edit: Based on the BL novels, it would be probably best if actors only had a passing familiarity with their art. At least that way they would be able to get beyond the dialogue.

Kage

Arcanus
28-08-2007, 14:20
In the "grim, dark universe" of the 40k universe, do we really care about being politically correct? Of course not. It's not hard to put biological variation into the 40k universe, but at the same time it's not even a part of the theme of that universe. After all, who gives a damn that someone has a slightly different tone of skin to you when - hell! - most people from different worlds are going to have a different colour skin. Again, who is going to give a damn that the spacing between two bones of the face is going to be slightly different to people from another world when - damn! - people from the other world happen to be 9' tall.

Ye gadz, in a universe that tries to play out moral absolutism as a means of distinction, let us leave biological relativism in it's backward place.

Edit: Based on the BL novels, it would be probably best if actors only had a passing familiarity with their art. At least that way they would be able to get beyond the dialogue.

Kage

Well the dialogue would have to be rewritten because it in most cases it's horrible. I say that you just keep the same characters and plot but you just rewrite the dialogue.

BrotherMoses
28-08-2007, 14:44
I'd go see it

Arcanus
28-08-2007, 15:26
I'd go see it

Well, I'd go out and a limb and say most of the Warseer Community would go see it.

freelancer
28-08-2007, 16:21
This would be a massive, MASSIVE undertaking. Much bigger then loter, or even transformers is go see it.

Also if people see it and get all antcy about political correctness then i think people will start to make their own inquisition, no one questions the emperor\

freelancer

Drogmir
28-08-2007, 17:00
How are they going to get SM to be 9ft tall?

Computer Generated looks really fake today and about 10 years from now people are going to sneer at it.

what happened to the 1970-80's movie era where people took the time to make good looking costumes (Star Wars, Aliens etc.)

FunkyCommissar
28-08-2007, 17:05
OMG... guys not everything cool needs to become a movie...
40k, merchandise wise, has comic books, novels, and books of nothing but "history" of a geeky sci-fi universe- is a movie really necessary

Arcanus
28-08-2007, 17:55
How are they going to get SM to be 9ft tall?

Computer Generated looks really fake today and about 10 years from now people are going to sneer at it.

what happened to the 1970-80's movie era where people took the time to make good looking costumes (Star Wars, Aliens etc.)

SM are closer to 7 and 1/2 feet tall that 9 feet tall . and I can be done if they made people look 3 feet tall in Lord of the Rings.

Homemaster
29-08-2007, 10:30
Yes I do think the hardest part would be working out the best way to ACTUALLY film it, animation or a mix of animation and real time.

Overall, it is a near impossible task to ever see on the big screen, but hey, why not dream?

ArtificerArmour
29-08-2007, 11:41
If they made it using the type of animation from the beginning of dawn of war, it may work. But not too many people would go see it.

Arcanus
If they made it using the type of animation from the beginning of dawn of war, it may work. But not too many people would go see it.

Yeah but human actors would add a whole new dimension to the film.

The Guy
I think it's a great idea I've always wanted to see space marines on the big screen :D and it could also introduce a lot more people into the game. BUT. making a film series like this is a huge gamble it would be expensive and unless it was done perfectly would probably be a really cheesy series that would be criticised more than necrons.

Phoebus
I don't really think the subject matter is an obstacle--at least not in the way that most people think. The real crux of the matter is that, for 40K to be depicted realistically, we're talking about material (questionable views and depictions of religion, systematic oppression, very hardcore violence, and even genocide--all perpetrated by the "heroes") that very easily earns an "R" rating while also challenging the mindset of the audience that generally provides 40-50% (easily) of movie earnings.

And that's not to say anything about other, international audiences, who might shirk at the material for their own reasons.

CGI would form the meat of the movie, and it would thus be a very expensive proposition. The third Shrek movie cost something along the lines of $160 million to make, and you better believe that an HH movie would cost even more.

On the plus side, the complete lack of need for major actor names would bring the budget to a more realistic level.

A Horus Heresy movie could potentially attract enough US customers to ensure that, world-wide, it recouped its cost. I'm not sure that it would make enough to merit the risk, though, despite the fact that I'm sure the right people could make of it an amazing spectacle.

Formarion
29-08-2007, 21:18
I think it could easily be pulled off, if given enough funding, but I wouldn't like to see it happen. I always get horrible flashbacks of Final Fantasy: Spirits Within when I think of Gaming-Movie crossovers, which lost Squaresoft around 100 million dollars along with forcing them to merge with Enix and look how popular the Final Fantasy/Squaresoft company was.

I would really love to see it done, but it would never be worth the risk and would fundamentally raise up the prices of the hobby, or even ruin it alltogether.

Quentin
29-08-2007, 21:55
I think it could easily be pulled off, if given enough funding, but I wouldn't like to see it happen. I always get horrible flashbacks of Final Fantasy: Spirits Within when I think of Gaming-Movie crossovers, which lost Squaresoft around 100 million dollars along with forcing them to merge with Enix and look how popular the Final Fantasy/Squaresoft company was.

I would really love to see it done, but it would never be worth the risk and would fundamentally raise up the prices of the hobby, or even ruin it alltogether.

Interesting. What did you think of Advent Children?

What do people think about a Japanese animated 40k trilogy with CG? I think that would be the best medium for a 40k film.

Also, I wouldn't trust modern Hollywood with a film this big. It'll likely be cursed with a crap director (I'm looking at you Micheal Bay). There'll be mischaracterisation galour with Imperial Guardsmen and Marines acting like US Army/USMC respectively, Eldar prancing around like Elves... The established Hollywood actors portraying our heroes of the Imperium will be half-hearted and bored in thier performance. Oh yeah, and no doubt a hot Adeptus Sororitas will be having a star-crossed affair with Horus or something. Because stupid love interests are apparently mandatory in Hollywood...

I'm sorry, I'm just very dissappointed with recent films about some of my favourite games/shows i.e Transformers, Tomb Raider... The last two James Bonds sucked as well...

Basically I am becoming increasingly despondant about the state of Hollywood as of late and it's ability to not crap up films concerning franchises I like. I fear a 40k film would be doomed if left to them.

Arcanus
29-08-2007, 23:18

What do people think about a Japanese animated 40k trilogy with CG? I think that would be the best medium for a 40k film.

Also, I wouldn't trust modern Hollywood with a film this big. It'll likely be cursed with a crap director (I'm looking at you Micheal Bay). There'll be mischaracterisation galour with Imperial Guardsmen and Marines acting like US Army/USMC respectively, Eldar prancing around like Elves... The established Hollywood actors portraying our heroes of the Imperium will be half-hearted and bored in thier performance. Oh yeah, and no doubt a hot Adeptus Sororitas will be having a star-crossed affair with Horus or something. Because stupid love interests are apparently mandatory in Hollywood...

I'm sorry, I'm just very dissappointed with recent films about some of my favourite games/shows i.e Transformers, Tomb Raider... The last two James Bonds sucked as well...

Basically I am becoming increasingly despondant about the state of Hollywood as of late and it's ability to not crap up films concerning franchises I like. I fear a 40k film would be doomed if left to them.

Why would you think that would happen? If GW took control of the project they could pick a director and oversee the films productions. Also, I'm still for using Human actors over a green-screen. Look at 300 it only took 60 million to make. And as previously stated the Human element would add another dimension to the film the CG just doesn't have. CG would make it look like a really beatiful cutscene from DoW. That's it.

Quentin
29-08-2007, 23:26
Why would you think that would happen? If GW took control of the project they could pick a director and oversee the films productions. Also, I'm still for using Human actors over a green-screen. Look at 300 it only took 60 million to make. And as previously stated the Human element would add another dimension to the film the CG just doesn't have. CG would make it look like a really beatiful cutscene from DoW. That's it.

Meh. My despondancy with Hollywood has recently leapt to new heights after what Micheal Bay did to Transformers...

I just can't help but think that somehow they'll screw up a 40K trilogy.

That's why I'm willing to let the Japanese have a go. I certainly wouldn't mind a 40K anime film trilogy w/CG.

BTW Arcanus. Who would you personally cast for the Emperor and Horus?

Arcanus
30-08-2007, 00:01
Meh. My despondancy with Hollywood has recently leapt to new heights after what Micheal Bay did to Transformers...

I just can't help but think that somehow they'll screw up a 40K trilogy.

That's why I'm willing to let the Japanese have a go. I certainly wouldn't mind a 40K anime film trilogy w/CG.

BTW Arcanus. Who would you personally cast for the Emperor and Horus?

I would cast myself as the Emperor and some random powerlifter from Estonia as Horus. That's as serious of anwser you'll get from me. No matter what is done with CG a can't take it seriously as a film alone. And for Marines I think their are two options. One teach some Eastern European Powerlifters to act or teach actor how to powerlift. That's the only way I think you will actors with marine bodies. Some actors who would fit the bill after power-lifting for a bit would be Tyler Mane(Michael Myers), Michael Duncan (John Cofefy), Glen Jacobs (Kane from the WWF), and Mark Calaway (The Undertaker from the WWF)

Edit:Also, some reasons GW would do this over CG is that one it's cheaper and two it's cheaper

CHOOBER SNIPES
30-08-2007, 00:18
just so you all know (says me sneakily) those were real hobbits in LotR...

Anyway, i think they could do it, i mean, someone mentioned Starship Troopers, they're like imperial guard shock troops with autoguns. huge numbers, large ineffectiveness (no offense), and sparse but cool looking armor. give em starwars projectile like lasguns, that look like lasguns, and you've got imp. guard. Space marines could be sparse or only seen mainly in battle, when you'd have to do some animating for lasguns and enormous epic monstrosities of battles. look at the previously mentioned clone troopers, they're awesome, why not make em a little bit taller and more well armoured, i.e. 7.5 ft. tall, and with power armor. bugs in starship troopers were good, make em smaller and less deadly, a little more numerous, and throw in a carnifex. there's another team for you. you could make first hive fleet repulsion, imp guard and SM vs. nids. i understand it would be a huge undertaking, and it would have to be all or nothing, cus if you make an awesome movie, good for ya, if ya dont, whatever, but if you make it in the middle, you're just gonna **** ppl off and lose money. i think that its a great genre, and you'd get a lot of customers, just you gotta make it good.

Arcanus
30-08-2007, 00:24
just so you all know (says me sneakily) those were real hobbits in LotR...

Anyway, i think they could do it, i mean, someone mentioned Starship Troopers, they're like imperial guard shock troops with autoguns. huge numbers, large ineffectiveness (no offense), and sparse but cool looking armor. give em starwars projectile like lasguns, that look like lasguns, and you've got imp. guard. Space marines could be sparse or only seen mainly in battle, when you'd have to do some animating for lasguns and enormous epic monstrosities of battles. look at the previously mentioned clone troopers, they're awesome, why not make em a little bit taller and more well armoured, i.e. 7.5 ft. tall, and with power armor. bugs in starship troopers were good, make em smaller and less deadly, a little more numerous, and throw in a carnifex. there's another team for you. you could make first hive fleet repulsion, imp guard and SM vs. nids. i understand it would be a huge undertaking, and it would have to be all or nothing, cus if you make an awesome movie, good for ya, if ya dont, whatever, but if you make it in the middle, you're just gonna **** ppl off and lose money. i think that its a great genre, and you'd get a lot of customers, just you gotta make it good.

Well that would be a 40k movie but not a Horus Heresy movie. And i agree with the marine idea though. But you would need some powerlifters or people who look like powerlifters to play space marines. Either that or get really skinny I mean really skinny people to play the IG so the Space Marines look bigger by comparision.

Wolfsbane
30-08-2007, 06:02
I think this would be better as a HBO series. You need more than 9 hours for the Horus Heresy. I'd say let it run a season or two, Horus didn't just change into a bad guy...it took a while.

I wouldn't want to see the story rushed, it should be long and drawn out like the books.

Arcanus
30-08-2007, 06:17
I think this would be better as a HBO series. You need more than 9 hours for the Horus Heresy. I'd say let it run a season or two, Horus didn't just change into a bad guy...it took a while.

I wouldn't want to see the story rushed, it should be long and drawn out like the books.

Screw HBO, Warhammer 40k should get it's own subscription based channel. With shows based on all the Black Library publications. And shows with painting tips from Golden Daemon winners and all that. But seriously they could make the HH series into as many movies as they want why limit it to three? But I think if GW was to make a movie they'd first do a test movie that would be based on a Warhammer 40k book with mass-appeal rather than making a multipart film that would lose funding halfway through the fifth installment.

Formarion
30-08-2007, 19:33
-snip-

I thought Advent Children was well done, but that was bound to be a success as it had all of the main characters of FFVII in it (obviously ^^) and would be a sure fire hit, it could be a critics worst movie and hundreds of thousands of people would still go to see it.

If you could get the same guarenteed response from 40k fans over a movie, then they would certainly take a gamble on it, but we are a fickle lot at times and I doubt it would be able to garner much support from the more casual moviegoing market, unless you throw some major names into it.

Nerak
30-08-2007, 20:54
Alright, I'll be honest. I havn't read most of the posts here (though did read the first ones) but I think that there is something that should be brought to everyones attention:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=77TpMvRZ_LQ <--sorry for it to be in german, but it's definately worth noticing that the attempt hase been tried. Here's the link to the movies homepage:
http://www.damnatus.com/

In addition, notice this:
"Since outrage about Games Workshop's ban of all fan films in general and of DAMNATUS in specific has emerged throughout the whole community, we now decided to put up an online petition, where you can sign and make clear that you do not support Games Workshop's wrong policy and condemn it"
This is written on the homepage of Damnatus. So even if somone hade the balls to make a(nother) 40k movie I don't really think that GW would allow it.

Homemaster
31-08-2007, 09:45
Anime TV series, I like that thinking, I like it a lot. It would also give the HH time to unravel and explore the books properly.

So many options!

Fourth Captain Tycon
31-08-2007, 14:32
I think it would probably serve better as an anime series. You see all the stuff that has been released, especially the Japanese stuff like Akira or Ghost in the Shell, and you see a lot of potential that the Warhammer 40000 setting would be perfect.

One suggestion could be to do a fan based virtual series. Basically, you would write the scripts, and people would read them. I'm currently on the staff of a project called Stargate Horizon, which is a fan made virtual series based in the Stargate Universe. It's quite popular, and has a spot on the largest fan forum, Gateworld.

I've toyed around lately since also reading the books into doing something like this, along with stuff for the Gaunts Ghosts. If you ever need help, i've gotten pretty skilled at writing scripts. Give me a bell.

Arcanus
31-08-2007, 17:24
I think it would probably serve better as an anime series. You see all the stuff that has been released, especially the Japanese stuff like Akira or Ghost in the Shell, and you see a lot of potential that the Warhammer 40000 setting would be perfect.

One suggestion could be to do a fan based virtual series. Basically, you would write the scripts, and people would read them. I'm currently on the staff of a project called Stargate Horizon, which is a fan made virtual series based in the Stargate Universe. It's quite popular, and has a spot on the largest fan forum, Gateworld.

I've toyed around lately since also reading the books into doing something like this, along with stuff for the Gaunts Ghosts. If you ever need help, i've gotten pretty skilled at writing scripts. Give me a bell.

The thing is that I couldn't take a cartoon seriously and I would be embarassed to be seen walking into a movie theater to see a cartoon and I think all the older 40k players would agree. That's why I say human actors would be the best choice also it would be cheaper.

Fourth Captain Tycon
31-08-2007, 17:35
I would tend to agree for faces and interactions: there simply isn't any better way to convey that. The only problem I would see is the considerable differences in size. Astartes are supposed to be extremely tall when compared to humans, so it might be a hard job trying to show that in live action without making the actor/actress look awkward doing the action.

The background and setting would be better shown in an anime though. Plus there is differences, at least in my opinion, between a cartoon and anime. Cartoons are more childlike, whereas anime is more adult orientated (again, I refer to Akira and the like).

saying that, CGI and greenscreening seem to be getting better and better as the years go on.

Arcanus
31-08-2007, 17:41
I would tend to agree for faces and interactions: there simply isn't any better way to convey that. The only problem I would see is the considerable differences in size. Astartes are supposed to be extremely tall when compared to humans, so it might be a hard job trying to show that in live action without making the actor/actress look awkward doing the action.

The background and setting would be better shown in an anime though. Plus there is differences, at least in my opinion, between a cartoon and anime. Cartoons are more childlike, whereas anime is more adult orientated (again, I refer to Akira and the like).

saying that, CGI and greenscreening seem to be getting better and better as the years go on.

Yeah I know even though adults would look ridiculous walking into a theater to see an animated movie. Remember there are a lot of adults playing 40k. Also, in LOTR they made shorter people look like hobbits. So I bet they could make taller people turn into Space Marine. All you have to do is find tall actors who are wide in girth but not fat like powerlifters.

Fourth Captain Tycon
31-08-2007, 17:48
Ah, that's actually a good idea, never thought of using that as a method. I think it was a mizture between CGI techniques and perspective.

I guess being only 20 i'm still into anime and manga stuff, but I can see what you mean about the older veterans of the hobby prefering a live action rather than animated.

Seeing it as a movie series would be good, movies mean extra budget, but I would worry that there wouldn't be enough time to cover all the storylines, of which are all important to lead up to the Siege of Terra. This is where a TV series would be good, because it can dedicate more time to it, but there is always the problem of budget, unless you're an America TV series of course :p

Arcanus
31-08-2007, 17:59
Ah, that's actually a good idea, never thought of using that as a method. I think it was a mizture between CGI techniques and perspective.

I guess being only 20 i'm still into anime and manga stuff, but I can see what you mean about the older veterans of the hobby prefering a live action rather than animated.

Seeing it as a movie series would be good, movies mean extra budget, but I would worry that there wouldn't be enough time to cover all the storylines, of which are all important to lead up to the Siege of Terra. This is where a TV series would be good, because it can dedicate more time to it, but there is always the problem of budget, unless you're an America TV series of course :p

Yeah, but a movie would generate more money if it was good then a TV series. Or maybe GW could make a TV series about the Emperor coming into power as a gateway into the 40k universe and to gauge interest.

Alessander
31-08-2007, 18:12
wont' happen, at least with GW's current sales model.

GW's target audience is young teens (see their investor summaries for proof). GW is too violent to have a realistic film that you can rate for kids. You either will have a watered down, no-blood version of 40K that kiddies can watch (think the Street Fighter film), or you have a realistic sci-fi film with tonnes of violence but 90% of the people that GW is trying to market to can't see it.

CG is out the window. CG is only successful for children-aimed comedy films like Shrek etc. Sci fi CGI films flopped and lost a LOT of money. GW canned their Bloodquest CGI film because of the cataclymic financial failure of the Final Fantasy film. And FF had waaaay more recognition than 40K ever will.

License-based films have one goal: to advertise their license. If a 40K film ever does come out, don't expect all the great fluff we're used to, with little twists about the Emperor, the Phoenix Lords, the Space Wolves canine DNA helix etc. It'll just be a film about large-scale sci-fi wars, because in essence THAT is what 40K is all about. Why would GW fund a multi-million dollar project that just ups the sales of one or two character models?

Arcanus
31-08-2007, 18:36
wont' happen, at least with GW's current sales model.

GW's target audience is young teens (see their investor summaries for proof). GW is too violent to have a realistic film that you can rate for kids. You either will have a watered down, no-blood version of 40K that kiddies can watch (think the Street Fighter film), or you have a realistic sci-fi film with tonnes of violence but 90% of the people that GW is trying to market to can't see it.

CG is out the window. CG is only successful for children-aimed comedy films like Shrek etc. Sci fi CGI films flopped and lost a LOT of money. GW canned their Bloodquest CGI film because of the cataclymic financial failure of the Final Fantasy film. And FF had waaaay more recognition than 40K ever will.

License-based films have one goal: to advertise their license. If a 40K film ever does come out, don't expect all the great fluff we're used to, with little twists about the Emperor, the Phoenix Lords, the Space Wolves canine DNA helix etc. It'll just be a film about large-scale sci-fi wars, because in essence THAT is what 40K is all about. Why would GW fund a multi-million dollar project that just ups the sales of one or two character models?

Yeah that is true because GW thinks about money and movies tend not to make money usually they lose money or break even give or take a couple thousand.

Dalenator
31-08-2007, 18:43
I think they should start small maybe get a big game hit on a console (Xbox 360, PS3) instead of just PC. which will increase their recognition. The profit will also help.
A TV series would be great as a leg-up for the film.

Bubbatron
01-09-2007, 00:24
i take it everyone bad mouthing how a film based on a tabletop game wont be done knows that Mutant Chronicles is due for release soon ?

http://www.mutantchroniclesthemovie.com/

jhon
01-09-2007, 04:05
as far as i know GW had already sell the movie right to some movie company .

and here is the problem , is a common for a movie company to add some rule like : in 1x years no other company can make the movie of xoxoxxo, with out paying the fine to my company . or no other moive company can make the movie until i make the movie first . and this is how most of the movie company reape all the poor but telent writer during 90s .

Captain Stern
01-09-2007, 04:37
How about the guy who plays Mohinder Suresh in Heroes as Sanguinius?

Alessander
01-09-2007, 06:04
as far as i know GW had already sell the movie right to some movie company .

and here is the problem , is a common for a movie company to add some rule like : in 1x years no other company can make the movie of xoxoxxo, with out paying the fine to my company . or no other moive company can make the movie until i make the movie first . and this is how most of the movie company reape all the poor but telent writer during 90s .

It's called "optioning". Generally, almost all the good movie settings/worlds have been optioned out to some studio or another. Once the option expires without an actual production cycle, someone else snatches it up.

jhon
07-09-2007, 09:24
It's called "optioning". Generally, almost all the good movie settings/worlds have been optioned out to some studio or another. Once the option expires without an actual production cycle, someone else snatches it up.

yea , but the problem is the right is most likly not expire yet , even GW want to buy back the right is not likely they can . :o and usesualy is way more than 10 year ..

Russell's teapot
07-09-2007, 15:09
The thing is that I couldn't take a cartoon seriously and I would be embarassed to be seen walking into a movie theater to see a cartoon and I think all the older 40k players would agree. That's why I say human actors would be the best choice also it would be cheaper.

Dude, you play with toy soldiers! Why do you care what anyone else thinks anyway?

I agree that I wouldn't want to see a 40k movie, if there was a movie recipie book it would be found under 'disaster'.

Arcanus
07-09-2007, 18:52
Dude, you play with toy soldiers! Why do you care what anyone else thinks anyway?

I agree that I wouldn't want to see a 40k movie, if there was a movie recipie book it would be found under 'disaster'.

Warhammer 40k does not have anything to do with toy soldiers. Warhammer models are models not toys. Also, playing with toy soldiers has no structure but Warhammer has structure. While, Warhammer 40k may not be the most difficult game, it is a whole lot more complicated than toy soldiers. Also, if I go to a movie theater to see an animated Warhammer 40k movie and I am seen by co-workers I would never be taken seriously.

Russell's teapot
07-09-2007, 21:13
Models not toys....riiiiight:eyebrows::rolleyes:

Must be tricky leading your double life... are you a spy?

Anyway, my point still stands, a 40k movie will probably be terrible, and even if its not, it will either alienate us lot, or alienate the rest of the paying public. Who do you think they'll not mind shafting?

Little Geek
07-09-2007, 21:47
As much as i would love a 40k movie i cant help but think that it may end up something like "dead or alive" an absolute joke.
I think the best way to go would be animation, either tv series or film.

Arcanus
07-09-2007, 22:00
Models not toys....riiiiight:eyebrows::rolleyes:

Must be tricky leading your double life... are you a spy?

Anyway, my point still stands, a 40k movie will probably be terrible, and even if its not, it will either alienate us lot, or alienate the rest of the paying public. Who do you think they'll not mind shafting?

Well the thing is GW really wouldn't have any say in how the movie turns out. If the rights to a 40k movie are sold to a studio the studio would have more say in the movie's direction than GW. Also, I doubt a director would want to stiff all the 40k fanbase. It would make the director look bad.

FarseerMatt
07-09-2007, 23:25
Don't know if this has been mentioned already, but there is already a 40K film in existance - it's called Damnatus (www.damnatus.com - it's in German, though I imagine subtitles would be included for UK release) but they're having trouble with GW's lawyers letting them release it. I imagine anyone who tried to make a HH film would run into the same problem :cries:

Trailers:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=77TpMvRZ_LQ
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5eh0VmsQhwM

Not bad considering :D

El Torro
08-09-2007, 13:44
I can't really see a 40k film being made any time soon. Even if one was made I'm not sure if a series about the Horus Heresy would be the best place to start. Maybe something a bit smaller scale. Necropolis from Dan Abnett's Gaunt's Ghosts series would make a great stand alone film I think.

A (relatively) big budget 40k film might not be as far fetched as some might think though. After all Dawn of War was a huge success. A couple more big hitters in the video game world might make movie publishers take notice. Who knows, the 40k MMORPG that is currently in development might end up being a smash hit in which case anything might happen.

Of course the chances of the film satisfying most of the fan base are even slimmer...

Coasty
08-09-2007, 15:32
So long as there are titans, orks, European accents (sorry, but US films and TV mean I can't take yanks seriously in any role anymore) and orks I'll be happy. The HH would have to be flashback. It's too big to put in anything less than 6 films and doesn't have enough orks.

Did I mention I'd like orks?

Oh, and not Anime, pleeease. If you'd be embarrassed to go and watch a traditional animated film (which are usually actually quite popular with adults) think how embarrassed you'd be going in see what most people seem to regard as 'pervy Japanese cartoons with schoolgirls' (not my words, by the way).

Drasriath
08-09-2007, 21:37
Space Marines are boring...

No one wants to see a movie about dour, invincible walking tanks wandering around and laying waste to everything with no sense of danger whatsoever, since GW would never let them kill off a Space Marine in a movie...

Guard would be a different story altogether, with them you could get a good group of colorful characters that would actually be fun to watch.

Hive Mind 33
09-09-2007, 01:45
Here in the states you can write a script and GW can't do anything because it is your own ip. So you can do it

Arcanus
09-09-2007, 03:58
Here in the states you can write a script and GW can't do anything because it is your own ip. So you can do it

I'm not sure if that's true but if so, unless your a billionare you can't afford to single-handedly fund a film. And if you didn't have a minimum of 70 million dollars the film would be horrible.

FarseerMatt
09-09-2007, 09:54

That's the trouble though - GW originally endorsed Damnatus but then found out German copyright law gives the film makers rather than them ownership of the project, and since then their lawyers have done their level best to prevent the release of the film :mad:

Lavadude360
09-09-2007, 14:39
if it were to be done it would have to have a budget the size that has never been seen before, action action action! and at the same time have a deeper meaning in the roles played by the actors.

in short it could be great but then again it could be horrific.

jhon
10-09-2007, 03:03
Space Marines are boring...

No one wants to see a movie about dour, invincible walking tanks wandering around and laying waste to everything with no sense of danger whatsoever, since GW would never let them kill off a Space Marine in a movie...

Guard would be a different story altogether, with them you could get a good group of colorful characters that would actually be fun to watch.

if space marine is boring , than guard will be worse . if i want to watch some WWII solider running around i will watch saving pervert raymond instead..
ELDER vs tau will be a bleast .

FarseerMatt
10-09-2007, 09:27
Ah but Private Ryan wasn't toting a laser rifle and facing down inhuman monstrosities from the Warp ;)

Shadow_Wing
10-09-2007, 15:34
HH book series.....INTO A MOVIE SERIES

OMFG YOU'RE RIGHT!!!! You're a genius good sir, A FRAGGING GENIUS!!!

[/End blatant sarcasm]

I doubt GW are ever going to make a movie. Ever.

Thanks for reading another thread on a GW movie.

jhon
11-09-2007, 02:42
Ah but Private Ryan wasn't toting a laser rifle and facing down inhuman monstrosities from the Warp ;)

yea, but their not too much of differance between a WWII solider running around with his M5 ,and a WWII solider running around with a flash light

Brother Fenix
30-10-2007, 07:03
I looked through the posts and didn't see that anyone has mentioned this but...I think when I last registered Dawn of War Platinum, or after I bought something from the GW website, it asked me if I would like to take a survey and I did. One (or maybe it was a series of three) of the questions on the survey asked about Warhammer or 40K movies. So based upon that it would indicate that they are considering getting into the film industry...and since they partnered up with New Line Cinema as part of the release of the Lord of the Rings products, I could see where there is potential, especially if New Line put some promotional weight behind it.

Kveld-Ulf
30-10-2007, 07:19

Sadly I couldn't finish reading even the first page as I saw this choice bit.

Of course Tom Cruise couldn't be Horus, it's well known that Horus could read.

DivineVisitor
30-10-2007, 10:08
Personally i think anime (movie or series) would be the best way of being able to represent the 40k universe. It would mean it would get away with being as violent as it is supposed to be, avoid the aftermentioned Space Marine, Sister of Battle screen romance or other such nonsence, have all the jargon you want (with time to explain it if it was a series), avoid bad actors (lets face it if it did happen and they did get some WWE twit to play a major character i would probably have to resort to physical violence on some poor sap next to me in the cinema), you would be able to represent the scale easily enough with the right talent and have everything the correct sizes.

If people want to complain that they would be "embarressed" going in to see a 'cartoon' then they need to... well, grow up ironically. And realise that animation is not just for kids, nor is anime strictly "pervy Japanese cartoons with schoolgirls", be open minded.

Biomass Denial
30-10-2007, 11:16
Final fantasy movies animation would work.

The_Patriot
30-10-2007, 14:24

You might want to read the actual copyright law concerning this since you're not only wrong, but flat out wrong.

§ 106. Exclusive rights in copyrighted works36

Subject to sections 107 through 122, the owner of copyright under this title has the exclusive rights to do and to authorize any of the following:

(1) to reproduce the copyrighted work in copies or phonorecords;

(2) to prepare derivative works based upon the copyrighted work;

(3) to distribute copies or phonorecords of the copyrighted work to the public by sale or other transfer of ownership, or by rental, lease, or lending;

(4) in the case of literary, musical, dramatic, and choreographic works, pantomimes, and motion pictures and other audiovisual works, to perform the copyrighted work publicly;

(5) in the case of literary, musical, dramatic, and choreographic works, pantomimes, and pictorial, graphic, or sculptural works, including the individual images of a motion picture or other audiovisual work, to display the copyrighted work publicly; and

(6) in the case of sound recordings, to perform the copyrighted work publicly by means of a digital audio transmission.

§ 501. Infringement of copyright3

(a) Anyone who violates any of the exclusive rights of the copyright owner as provided by sections 106 through 122 or of the author as provided in section 106A(a), or who imports copies or phonorecords into the United States in violation of section 602, is an infringer of the copyright or right of the author, as the case may be. For purposes of this chapter (other than section 506), any reference to copyright shall be deemed to include the rights conferred by section 106A(a). As used in this subsection, the term "anyone" includes any State, any instrumentality of a State, and any officer or employee of a State or instrumentality of a State acting in his or h

You cannot use someone else's copyrighted works to create something new based off of that work without their consent. If you do expect to face a hefty fine and possibly jail time since this clearly falls under the category of a derivative work. My recommendation is to seek first the license from GW to write a script before you actually write one up and publish it. Also failure to comply with federal copyright laws and the Bern Convention will consign you to being on a black list of producers/studios for failing to comply. Just so we're clear on what is a derivative work here is the definition from the actual Copyright Law.

A “derivative work” is a work based upon one or more preexisting works, such as a translation, musical arrangement, dramatization, fictionalization, motion picture version, sound recording, art reproduction, abridgment, condensation, or any other form in which a work may be recast, transformed, or adapted. A work consisting of editorial revisions, annotations, elaborations, or other modifications, which, as a whole, represent an original work of authorship, is a “derivative work”.

possessed
30-10-2007, 17:44
I would really love to see a warhammer or 40k movie. Just look at the better cinematics they make now for the warhammer videogames, those look amazing imo. I second the idea of a smaller scale 40k movie. Have marines be in it but scarcely so they'll look more imposing and have a bigger visual impact.
I like the idea of an inquisitor stumbling upon a massive chaos conspiracy of some kind and then having to rush to get the marines to come in to fend of the tide of incoming chaos on some backwater planet housing an important artifact of somekind...

krag123
30-10-2007, 17:59
I would love to see this as well, but after reading alot of the posts people want to combine books into 1 movie, thats just horrible. Hell book 1 could almost be 2 movies on its own. Or Each act could be its own movie. First movie could be the battle and subjigation of 63-19, with an end leading into the war on "Murder" ending with the discoverty and battle with the Interex.

I would hate to see people combine to many books and then cut out parts in editing to save time. The development of the characters is critical, and the only way to develop the characters is to make multiple movies, to develop their history and explain why they rebeled.

FlashGordon
30-10-2007, 18:14
Arnold Swarshzenegger As The Emperor And The Rock As Horus! Hell Yeah½!

Colonel Stagler
30-10-2007, 18:14
thers like 7 books and they arent even fully half way through the heresy, i would be delighted if they made the books into films but i dont think its feasable

kurt helborg
07-11-2007, 16:48
a film wold work if there was a brief explanation at the start of the setting and brief snapshots of the emperor and primarchs and victores in the great crusade. At could start at that battle whcih unfortuantly i cant remember where Horus and the Emperor were fighting Orcs and Horus saves the Emperor and after the victory the Emperor announces he will return to Terra. And no romance just pure warfare like Saving Private Ryan or the Longest Day

TheMartyr451
07-11-2007, 18:01
I'd say, since Lord of the Rings was made into 3 movies (and look how in depth Tolkien's world is, I would say even more so than the 40k universe is), They could make the HH series into movies. One movie for each book, and since there is so many books, they don't have to make them ALL into movies. Books like Descent of Angels and Legion don't seem to be critical to the Heresy, they are just side stories. Then again I haven't read either of them, so I could be wrong.

Brother Siccarius
07-11-2007, 19:09
if space marine is boring , than guard will be worse . if i want to watch some WWII solider running around i will watch saving pervert raymond instead..
ELDER vs tau will be a bleast .

Looking at the Final (http://youtube.com/watch?v=lIAr2NdetIs) Liberation (http://youtube.com/watch?v=FmE2ASXn-1I) live (http://youtube.com/watch?v=TMXmLbyPeNw)-action (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O9GtuWzQLMM) cut (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YpbKTrgjPSI) scenes (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YVW_F8yCrZk&NR=1) on you-tube, I can tell that not only is it possible for them to do a good 40k movie, but that they've essentially done everything but the script before!

Finn
07-11-2007, 19:28
I've noticed a lot of concern about the size of Astartes and so forth compared to normal humans.

While it's not feasible to make an Astartes all that much larger than a normal human using cinematic tricks (CGI, perspective, whatever...), it's not necessary. As long as you don't have any small actors in any of the Astartes roles, you'll be fine. I think the best solution would be to green-screen it a la 300, for most things. That way you can make the Astartes look bulkier and the normal humans different...But on top of that, Primarchs are supposed to be larger than an Astartes by the same proportion that an Astartes is larger than a human. So the Primarchs would have be to ~8 feet tall. Rather difficult, but then again most of the people seeing the movie won't mind if they appeared to be only 7 feet or so. They just have to be a head taller, really. And even then, I can't imagine hardly anyone having a problem with it - if the cinematic depiction of it is done well enough, it won't matter what little details are fudged in the process.

My thoughts:

I'd love an HBO series (Rome, anyone?) of the Heresy. There's too much material for even three movies. In a pinch, you could do it in one super-long movie (2.5 to 3 hours) that culminates with the beginning of the Siege of Terra, and cover a lot of the plot with flashbacks. Unfortunately, that's complex and potential confusion resulting from that might ruin the film. Because of that, and that multiple-part features aren't doing so hot anymore, I think an HBO (or similar) series would be the best place to start - just look at Rome. 40K films covering different subject matter could come later.

Keep in mind that things like accents and skin tone don't matter. Think of how diverse we are here with just one planet, and there are countless worlds in the Imperium. Even with such a focused set of people (the main characters in the Heresy, mostly Astartes) you're going to see a lot of variation because they're recruited from different worlds, and so on.

Personal casting choices, if I had the luxury of big names:
Patrick Stewart as Horus (I really liked that from before...)
The Rock definitely fits as an Astartes - possibly Loken or Tarvitz
Sean Bean as an Astartes, possibly Lucius
Hugo Weaving as Abaddon
James Earl Jones as Sindermann
Robert Patrick as Little Horus
David Wenham (played Faramir) would be a good Sanguinius
Karl Urban as Erebus
Brad Pitt would make an excellent Astartes
Mila Jovovich as Euphrati Keeler (not the biggest fan of her, but I think she'd make it work...not to mention gather some fan appeal of her own to the film :P)

All in all, I think it's a great idea. Anything can be done - and for this to be done well, the people doing the doing would need that sort attitude, as well as an unmatched enthusiasm for the material. I would recommend checking with GW first on whether making a script would be acceptable. If a script were ever finished, I'd also probably check with them afterwards to see if you were legally restricted on where you could take it, and after that to any studios or anything similar...

I've got some creative talent, I'd love to help contribute to such an awesome project.