PDA

View Full Version : Bloodbowl 40K

Soldierboy
25-08-2007, 22:09
I did a quick search and found nothing about this so I will throw out the question. Any tried doing a 40k version of bloodbowl? Using the same rules but changing the team to match the 40k Armies? I don't think it would be difficult to convert the statlines for most of the armies, some might take a little creativity. It would be fun to see a Space Marine team square off against a Tau team.

ANy thoughts?

HarkonGreywolf
26-08-2007, 10:56
You could just substitute models/teams for the Fantasy equivalents, for the most part.
Obviously some measure of adjustment would be needed for the Power Armour options as a Space Marine or Chaos Space Marine team in full power armour would be virtually impossible to stop in a "realistic" version of Blood Bowl 40k.

This though has occurred to me in the past but I dismissed it as I had no interest in BB at that time. Now I'm a BB player, it might be worth revisiting at some time.

HG

Deng Ham
26-08-2007, 11:35
The easyes thing to do is da a "count as". But other than that. You might figure out a way to convert. The game of Blood Bowl obviously fitt into the 40K universe as well

Tennboy
30-08-2007, 16:43
On all the BB forums I've been on this topic always comes up and always gets shot down for being a horrible idea. Which it is IMO. Stop trying to make everything into 40K.

Heres your stat line for SM

SM Scout
M6 S4 A4 ARM8

SM
M7 S5 A4 ARM10

Please, for the sake of the good name of BB, do not waste any more time pursuing this topic.

shartmatau
30-08-2007, 18:46
I don't see why its a bad idea. You shouldn't make any new rules though. If you do it you should just rename the teams with the 40K races. It may not be the fullest fluff since a space marine is really tough and has high armor and is very agile but its the only way to do it without making up your own rules and unbalancing the game.

I would make this:
SM=Humans
CSM= Chaos or Nurgle
Orks=Orks
Guard=Norse maybe
Inquisition=Goblins maybe, because of all the crazy weapons
Eldar=Elves
Dark Eldar=Dark Elves
Necrons=Necromantic or Undead
Tau=Amazons or Lizardmen (Stealth suits could be Suarus)
Sisters of battle= could be amazons
Squats=could be Dwarves
Or Dwarves could be specific army units, like Ork Nobs or something else with heavy armor
Ogryns could be Ogres

There are lots of ways to do it, all you have to do is come up with what replaces what and rewrite those pages of the rulebook so its in black and white.
Just don't write new rules.

Armydillo978
31-08-2007, 03:21
I would imagine it would be a rather interesting game between a team of tyranids and IG.

We have some in our LGS who would frown on this, but that's ok, they don't have to play now do they?

Bombadiers could be Grenadiers, and such.

Deng Ham
31-08-2007, 10:07
I would make this:
SM=Humans
CSM= Chaos or Nurgle
Orks=Orks
Guard=Norse maybe
Inquisition=Goblins maybe, because of all the crazy weapons
Eldar=Elves
Dark Eldar=Dark Elves
Necrons=Necromantic or Undead
Tau=Amazons or Lizardmen (Stealth suits could be Suarus)
Sisters of battle= could be amazons
Squats=could be Dwarves
Or Dwarves could be specific army units, like Ork Nobs or something else with heavy armor
Ogryns=could be Ogres

It's a nice list you have made here. But I would switch the two marketd in bold.

So it's:
SM = Norse (everybody have guard, and that's a SM trait more than IG)
IG = Humans.

HarkonGreywolf
31-08-2007, 20:01
"Please, for the sake of the good name of BB, do not waste any more time pursuing this topic."
What a short-sighted and limited view you must have of our hobby! I feel sorry for you, really.

OK, to subject, the list as amended for Norse=SM seems reasonable and of course there's no need to change the Rules, well, no more than the Living Rule Book will do in it's natural course of being!! :D
After all we are trying to make this a "better game" and it will evolve slowly over time.
And there again, if you don't like the latest version, play the game you like and know!
It's all about choice and fun after all.

Personally BB is the only connection I have with the Fantasy hobby world. I'm a Sci-fi nut and the Fantasy scene just doesn't grab me at all! (Hobby-wise at any rate! LOL) I have, however, come to appreciate the appeal of BB and will continue to play it whatever teams are on the field, be they Fantasy or 40k, it'll make no difference as it's the game that's fun not the teams per se.

However, I could easily go with a 40k Ork team to match my BB Orc team that I currently play!

HG

Darkson
31-08-2007, 21:47
There should be a 40K sports-style game, but it shouldn't be blood Bowl!
I'd much rather see a futuristic-type game, such as those that appeared in early issues of 2000AD (Aeroball, Inferno, Mean Arena...).

Darkson
31-08-2007, 21:49
SM = Norse (everybody have guard, and that's a SM trait more than IG)

I'm guessing Guard there is a mistype for Block. Any team with every player getting Guard as a starting skill is overpowered.

HarkonGreywolf
31-08-2007, 23:55
OK now that's a good idea!
We have BB why not another game for 40K?
Now, what to choose?
It would have to be a team game with a pitch or gaming arena. And that would limit the options a bit.

This is going to take quite some thought (which is why it probably hasn't been done before by GW who PAY people to think for them! ;) )

HG

LordSnotball
05-09-2007, 09:12
well, why not use Necromunda stats instead of WH40k? part of the fun of BB is the chance of failing, and most 40k stats are excessive for the format...

or you would have to play on 3-5 levels with flying etc, and shooting around buildings etc... more like necromunda and dungeon bowl combined...

dcikgyurt
09-09-2007, 20:39
If you're going to build a list of rules for 40K Blood bowl, Can I suggest you buy or borrow a copy of Unreal Tournament 2003 and play the Bombing Run missions. It is basically futuristic Blood Bowl (complete with guns) and will help you get some ideas together. After all, what would be the point of playing if you SM didn't have their bolters any more.

Night Bearer
18-09-2007, 06:06
Back in the day I "designed" a 40k ice hockey game using the blood bowl pitch and makeshift nets.

IIRC, my sole motivation was the idea of a special character named "Ghazghkull mag uruk Gretzky"! :)

Monticus
16-11-2008, 03:03
I have been thinking about this lately and would like to see a 40K version of the game. The main difference I see between 40K BB and normal BB is the teams. I think this would be more of an underhive style game, with the more Hardcore races of 40K not being involved (ie SM). I also see the pitch not being used and more of a Dungeon Bowl style setup. After talking to a few people we came up with the idea of modifying the DB rules and running the games in a Space Hulk this would allow hard hitting and good paced games. The underhive version was going to be used with gantries etc so it is played on multi levels. Just what we thought of but I'm sure there maybe some other ideas avalible from here as well.

Machinehead
16-11-2008, 05:24
If it were Rogue Trader we're talking about, sure a Blood Bowl equivalent would work. But GW's spent so much time making 40k Grim and Dark that any spin off just seems silly or emo.

Plus I"m just tired of 40k and it's continued imbalance, but thats just my opinion

Monticus
16-11-2008, 05:40
I was thinking with staying more inline with Necromunda, as it is BB is set aside from the GW Fantasy world so I could see fluff fitting in for a 40K version. Think of it as a space hulk full of booze, fun and a crazy sport like BB, the future cant be all grim now can it, or the suicide rate would exceed the birth rate, lol.

StefDa
16-11-2008, 08:54
I would like to se a UK2003 Bombing Run style game. Each player would have a re-spawn square, and when one of his models died, it would immediately return there, alive. I think this is necessary, as Bombing Run demands fire arms, but it would quickly eradicate less armoured teams.

spevna
17-11-2008, 15:09
In the military the different branches are known to compete against each other in different sports so how about doing it based on the Imp Guard as a start? It could be a kind of regimental league. As they are human they would all get the same starting stats but then have different starting skills depending on their homeworld and regiment. Catachan teams could all start with block beause they are built like brick shithouses, DKOK could get Daunltess as they arent afraid of overwhelming odds, and those headhunter guys (name escapes me) could get frenzy. Using this as a starting block you could work in ways of getting xenos in there somehow. The game itself could be a cross between any team games (Rugby, football, Aussie rules, Gaelic rules, lacrosse or a totally new one.

Giganthrax
17-11-2008, 22:06
IMO, hockey or football (soccer, for you americans) 40k game would be something I'd buy as soon as it became available.

Binabik15
21-11-2008, 18:47
Iīve also thought of it in the last years, especially while reading the Cain novels (again and again). He refers to him playing "scrumball" several times and confuses a Khorne Berserker by shouting the name of one team.

He states that the pricky commissar cadet was always tackled and the schola girls (Sororita) were more likely to hurt somebody than to score a point.

If that doesnīt sound like BloodBowl in space...

Iīd do Guard as humans, but my brother wants SM and thatīs where it getīs very "count as".

I thought something like this:

Guard = humans

(Chaos) SM = chaos team, with SM being the warriors and scouts as beastment, Termis being ogres/minos

Sororitas = Norse

Kroot = lizzard men

(Dark )Eldar could be amazons or elves, depending on what you want them to do

jp22102000
29-11-2008, 16:54
Somewhere on the net, (it is on one of the main BB websites) there are rules for a basketball-style game based on Necromunda.

Monticus
02-12-2008, 07:03
Here's the link for the Basketball style game: http://www.blood-bowl.net/Variants/BB_BBall.html

Giganthrax
02-12-2008, 11:07
These days I'm playing with the idea of buying a bunch of necrons and converting them into an Undead blood bowl team.

Regular necrons could be skeletons/zombies (with different colors to signify which is which), them armored necrons (I'm not sure what their name is) could be wights, and flayed ones could be ghouls. I just don't know what models I could use to represent mummies, wraiths seem too big for blood bowl (they'd take two squares when lying down).