PDA

View Full Version : Howling Griffons?

Vesica
26-08-2007, 13:28
Ok guys with my newly founded dislike of the Red Scorpians chapter i have been looking for another chapter to plan on taking up after i finish my Obsidian sons chapter, And my interest has been taken by the Howling Griffons. they seem to have the type of beliefs that are in line with my thinking and i have a sort of painting guide for them (WD309 uk).

So what i want is some more info on them, i know they have a hatred of the Deamon prince Periclitor, that they where at the Badab war, and also have/had a large force at cadia, is there any thing else about them i need? like chapter masters names and such.

thanks guys.

Vesica
27-08-2007, 18:25
I also found out that they dont have Company's denoted by shoulder trim colour, but other than that are a codex chapter.

Also i have seen two different colour schemes for them, one with a white chest eagle and one with a black. I prefer the black look but wanted to know which is right?

thanks guys.

i am changing my profile pic to the one i made on the B&C site to show you what it is like, the one i ended up posting was my serg/commander idea.

Light of the Emperor
27-08-2007, 20:25
You should pick up the most recent Soul Drinker novel by Ben Counter called "Chapter War". The Howling Griffons make an extended appearance and name quite a few characters.

Vesica
28-08-2007, 12:24
I have read it, forgot they where in it.

Kage2020
28-08-2007, 12:30
And you could also check out Philip Sibbering's (http://www.philipsibbering.net) concept page. I believe he has a reinterpretation of the Howling Griffons?

Kage

Leftenant Gashrog
28-08-2007, 12:34
Also i have seen two different colour schemes for them, one with a white chest eagle and one with a black. I prefer the black look but wanted to know which is right?

Codex: Eye of Terror and How to Paint Space Marines both depict them with silver chest eagles, Insignium Astartes depicts them with light grey which could well represent silver. That said chest eagle colour isnt something GW is all that picky about so feel free to pick whichever you prefer (Blood Angels for instance had gold chest eagles on their 3e codex cover, yet all the marines inside had yellow or black chest eagles)

I bigger decision is whether to go with the current single-quartered uniform, or the original Rogue Trader uniform that was double-quartered (the shoulderpads match the upper legs, whilst the torso halves & relevant arms match the lower legs), if i ever get round to doing some regular* Howling Griffons I definately plan on using the original scheme as it just looks genuinely better (and its not really much harder than single quartered in my opinion, as the hard part is halving the torso and helmet).

* they also had a rather good camoflage scheme back in RT which i would love to replicate, alas i havent a clue how.

Rossco
28-08-2007, 12:59
I believe the current chapter master of the Howling griffons is called Commander Alvaro and that his personnal battle barge is the Force of destiny, and thats my knowlege on the subject all dried up !

Vesica
29-08-2007, 11:41
Codex: Eye of Terror and How to Paint Space Marines both depict them with silver chest eagles, Insignium Astartes depicts them with light grey which could well represent silver. That said chest eagle colour isnt something GW is all that picky about so feel free to pick whichever you prefer (Blood Angels for instance had gold chest eagles on their 3e codex cover, yet all the marines inside had yellow or black chest eagles)

I bigger decision is whether to go with the current single-quartered uniform, or the original Rogue Trader uniform that was double-quartered (the shoulderpads match the upper legs, whilst the torso halves & relevant arms match the lower legs), if i ever get round to doing some regular* Howling Griffons I definately plan on using the original scheme as it just looks genuinely better (and its not really much harder than single quartered in my opinion, as the hard part is halving the torso and helmet).

* they also had a rather good camoflage scheme back in RT which i would love to replicate, alas i havent a clue how.

Im going to use the current colours ala my avatar.

I have to agree with the camo scheme being pretty cool.