PDA

View Full Version : Why aren't there marauder characters?

mooze
26-08-2007, 14:36
It seems that every army, with a couple of exceptions, has a cheaper character or two. Empire has captains, Bretts have Paladins, O&G have many cheap characters, etc. For those who like to field a marauder heavy list, it would be nice to have inexpensive marauder characters and bring back the chariot as well. I know that there was a lord level character in a white dwarf a while ago but he was way too expensive for his usefulness.(As pricey as a chaos lord but with worse stats.) A long, long time ago there were chaos thugs, forerunner of marauders, and they even had a bow option! I would love marauders with bows. When the sea battle rules from the general's compendium came out, I made a pair of norse longships crewed by marauders. I modeled a couple of those with bows and they looked great. (goblin archer bows/arms scale well to a marauder body) I have a couple of the 2000 (or 2002) special edition marauder models (epitome of evil) as well as an old citadel conan looking sort that would make great characters. Not everyone wants chaos aspiring champs at 100 points, some people use no warriors and might like lesser characters. Bows would be nice too.

theunwantedbeing
26-08-2007, 14:45
Marauders become chaos warriors when they gain power,simple as that.
So there are marauder character's...its just they are indistinguishable from normal mortal character's.
The closest thing would be an aspiring champion.

Marauders with bows would be nice,although im sure plenty of people would have a fit at the thought of such a thing...despite it being perfectly fluffy.(not as if marauders getting bows means chaos warriors get gatling guns is it?)

Sabbad
26-08-2007, 14:50
Theunwantedbeing is right. The Gods award their Champions of Chaos with Chaos Armour. Why wouldn't they?

Marauders (ie. folks not blessed enough to get Chaos armour) simply never reach Hero/Lord levels. Sorry.

Neknoh
26-08-2007, 15:01
A Marauder chieftan (powerful one) can easely be represented by the stats of an Aspiring Champion, you don't have to model Chaos Armour all over him if you don't want to, you can have him in a chainmail bikini if that's what you'd like, heck, you can have him nude. Warhammer isn't goverend as strongly by WYSIWYG as other games, just point out "He's an aspiring champion" to your opponent as he asks about the bikiniclad sailor bubba leading your marauders.

sephiroth87
26-08-2007, 15:09
80 points is dirt cheap for what the aspiring champ does, and he's around the same cost as a black orc boss or a vampire thrall. Considering that the lord choice is 210 points, it's pretty good if you ask me...

Baindread
26-08-2007, 15:47
Marauders with bows would be nice,although im sure plenty of people would have a fit at the thought of such a thing...despite it being perfectly fluffy.(not as if marauders getting bows means chaos warriors get gatling guns is it?)

I see no real reason why Chaos shouldn't get some shooting. Itīs their OTT combat which is the problem :p

Sabbad
26-08-2007, 15:56
I guess Chaos has no shooting to differentiate their in-game playing style.

Stella Cadente
27-08-2007, 18:00
you could just use the marauder lords and heroes from WD, not sure on issue number

mooze
27-08-2007, 18:16
As to playing style...
Occasionally I use DOW crossbowmen and a cannon in my chaos. I played once with a prewritten list at a store. My opponent wanted to know what I was playing and when I told him "chaos" proceeded to tweak the hell out of his list. He took a lot of fast cav. (yeomen) with his bretts, thinking to march block my infantry while he set up flank charges.I hadn't taken out my army yet (always a smart move when you play with people that adjust their lists to overcome yours). When we deployed, boy did he whine! I happily destroyed him and when he snivelled that chaos should have no shooting, I reminded him that is is also terribly unsporting to adjust a list after you know your opponent's army. Additionally, those DOW crossbows and cannon are available to most armies (though not the haughty bretts), so much for assumptions on how an army is supposed to play. I often use DOW pikes also, it's not good to be predictable.

mistformsquirrel
27-08-2007, 18:48
I guess the simple answer is that Chaos Warriors (and by the same token, the Champions and Lord) ARE Marauders.

Or at least, some of them are; once a Marauder ascends to a certain level of prestige in the eyes of Chaos, he's granted physical power and rewards of various types. Everything from magical equipment to physical mutation. Thus a Marauder Lord could certainly be an Exalted Champion, whilst a Marauder Hero could be an Aspiring Champion. A Marauder of IMMENSE power (just like any mortal devoted to chaos who has enough prestige) could be a Chaos Lord.

Course that's already pretty much been said, but yah; that's the gist I took from the book.

(The only thing that distinguishes a Chaos Warrior from a Marauder is skill, experience, and devotion. Most Warriors don't even have Chaos Armor yet - only the Chosen receive such favor. So its just a hierarchy really)

mav1971
28-08-2007, 11:02
Actually chaos used to have missle weapons.

Frep
28-08-2007, 11:12
I don't play Chaos so I don't understant aspiring champions or any Chaos characters very well but I do agree with the point that there should be a cheap colorful maruder character and at least some kind of range chaos unit (Maradours with bows or maybe the never ending hail of axes from Mark of Chaos)

W0lf
28-08-2007, 11:29
use chaos character or beast character statlines and model it as a marauder. done.

tbh if they did make marauder chieftans id see them being almost identical to wargors.

Makaber
29-08-2007, 12:41
This is outlined in the Hordes of Chaos book, on page 10:

"In the eyes of the Northmen there is a natural and progressive distinction between the mass of roving warriors, those few favoured by the gods, and the very few whose extraordinary gifts mark them out as the leaders and most powerful of their tribe. It's their enemies, rather than the Northmen, who draw a distinction between the youngest unmarked warriors, whom they call Marauders because of their raiding and roving lifestyle, the Chaos Warriors, whose superior armour and status make them easily recognisable, and Champions of Chaos, the leaders and greatest of all."

ZomboCom
White dwarf published rules for Skeggi Marauder characters a couple of years ago.

Voltaire
Every marauder who is a dedicate of Chaos is aspiring to become a champion, thus a marauder cheiftain would be ...you guessed it...an Aspiring Champion.

Stella Cadente
White dwarf published rules for Skeggi Marauder characters a couple of years ago.

do you know what issue it was, I've been trying to find it but can't, I'm sure is was around the Lustria period

Stella Cadente
The rules for marauder heros can be found in WD issue 309.

cheers, looks like I might be tempted to do a Marauder force now

Abduction
do you know what issue it was, I've been trying to find it but can't, I'm sure is was around the Lustria period
The rules for marauder heros can be found in WD issue 309.

Buckero0
I don't play Chaos so I don't understant aspiring champions or any Chaos characters very well but I do agree with the point that there should be a cheap colorful maruder character and at least some kind of range chaos unit (Maradours with bows or maybe the never ending hail of axes from Mark of Chaos)

not to be harsh in any way, but Chaos (despite being one of the oldest army books) has both. An aspiring champion is cheap and colorful and is an marauder in armor (read the army book). Chaos armies have ranged weapons. They have throwing axes on their marauder horsemen (great fast cav by the way) and on their centigors and don't need any other ranged weapons. They can also take horrors and flamers which count as ranged in my opinion or lore of Tzeentch which is also a ranged weapon (albeit expensive pointwise) in my opinion.

Read the books. You don't have to know everything, but it helps a little before making a statement about it.