4 Fell Bats @ 80 Pts

4 Spirit Hosts @ 260 Pts

6 Black Knights @ 240 Pts
Barding; Lance; Heavy Armour; Shield; full command
The Drakenhof Banner [50]

Casting Pool: 4

Dispel Pool: 3

Models in Army: 89

rather than smash with knights this army plans to grind with levy, not sure about the sprit hosts as have never really used them could easily be convined to drop them for a black coach or more levy.

the wolf form thrall will prolly stay with the infatry the form being as much of a threat as anything.

not sure wht to give my lord, that was a first go, very new to AOS

WraithKnight
27-08-2005, 13:53
Units under 20 generally have a hard time "grinding" other infantry units down, simply because they won't often get the outnumbering bonus against other core infantry. Perhaps join the 3 units into 2 larger ones?

Megilain
27-08-2005, 16:31
I would propably try to sneak at least another scroll to the count as your magic defence is quite lame and almost all of your support units are very vulnerable to magic missiles. Perhaps you could even trade the periapt and the summon wolves for two scrolls.

I do agree with WraithKnight on the too small size of the levys. Without support or summoning the units just arenīt up to the task and I wouldnīt count on the markers to beef them up at this low magic level...

backslide
27-08-2005, 23:51
I'm farly confident tht the grave markers will beef them up before the crunch, against all but the most magic heavy armys, in which case if I don't kill the wizards quick I'm stuffed anyway.

in part the sprirt hosts are there to have a big "blast me with magic" sign to give the rest of the army a chance.

will sit down and have a tinker with it, might find room for a bannshee and another unit of bats, no coments on the thralls?

gorenut
28-08-2005, 04:12
Very neat. Just make sure you try to summon those wolves near the Drakenhof banner.

Personally, I'd give the Levy spears over the Halberds, and if anything.. I'd always use their hand weapon and shield over the spear. Generally, they're just there to give you CR.. rarely do they really do that much damage... so longevity seems to be more important.

backslide
28-08-2005, 08:35
I don't think the halberds will get much use either, I plan to do a mix.

backslide
05-09-2005, 02:12
managed to use the list yesterday, and very pleased with the diffrent feel to it used ruffly:

Von Carstein Vampire Count @ 341 Pts on foot
Von Carstein; General; Grave Marker; Magic Level 2; Great Weapon
Summon Wolves [25]
Ring of the Night [30]
Wolf Lord [10]
Book of Archan [25]

1 * Von Carstein Vampire Thrall @ 125 Pts
Von Carstein; Great Weapon; Heavy Armour; Shield
Barded nightmare
Summon Wolves [25]

1 * Von Carstein Vampire Thrall @ 135 Pts
Wolf Form [20]
Summon Wolves [25]

1 * Von Carstein Vampire Thrall @ 135 Pts
Wolf Form [20]
Summon Wolves [25]

Core

16 * Sylvanian Levy @ 143 Pts
Halberd; Light Armour; Shield; Standard; Musician

5 Dire Wolves @ 50 Pts

5 Dire Wolves @ 50 Pts

9 Dire Wolves @ 110 Pts
1 Doom Wolf

5 Dire Wolves @ 55 Pts Scout

3 Fell Bats @ 60 Pts

2 Spirit Hosts @ 130 Pts

9 Black Knights @ 315 Pts
Barding; Lance; Heavy Armour; Shield; full command
The Drakenhof Banner [50]

Banshee

Casting Pool: 4

Dispel Pool: 3

works out at about 2030, played a mixed slannish force with 3 level 2's and no lord choice, his furys where annoying but my 290 wolves that I summoned put him on the back foot form the get go, my levy units all finnished the game around 30 models and I summoned 3 other units.

I will admit my magic phases where lucky casting curse of years each and every phase cuting down the warriors to where my thrall lead wolves broke them.

only one unit in his army wasn't immune to fear, and when I won the combat I didn't outnumber, but fat zombie units in the flank are nasty..

In future i will try not to forget my banshee untill turn 4...

DrkAp0stle
05-09-2005, 14:07
[QUOTE=Megilain]I would propably try to sneak at least another scroll to the count as your magic defence is quite lame and almost all of your support units are very vulnerable to magic missiles. Perhaps you could even trade the periapt and the summon wolves for two scrolls.

Yeahm 3 Dispel Dice isnt going to get you anywhere, also with no scrolls. As Megilain has said, drop the periapt and the summon wolves and throw in 2 scrolls, it might not be much but it could always help.

-Ap0stle

Forgotten_Hero
06-09-2005, 14:45
I have been playing with the Syvainians for some time now. The points I would make to you are:

The Vampire general is totally key, he is the magic phase, vital in the movement phase and if he dies the whole army dies.

For all of these reasons I have found the Vampire lord the better option for Sylvanias, he gives you a much better offensive magic phase with the extra P.D, spell and the ability to roll 4 dice at harder spells like CoY, or IoN. The extra D.D is always useful in an army with such little magic defense. For these reasons alone i think the upgrade is justified but with the extra wound, attack, and weapon skill it is a no Brinier. The lord is significantly harder to kill and than the count and provided he stays alive it is very hard to suffer a large defeat. The physiological presence of a Lord level Vampire often scares alot of opponents into keeping their characters away. As it is so important to keep him alive I find keeping him in a large hard to kill unit is very effective as it serves as a massive points denial and keeps the Character alive, Gravegaurd are ideal for this purpose.

Other points about your list that strike me are that you have ethereal, NEVER a good idea in an army with such little magic defense, you are just handing V.P to your opponents as you can't stoop all the magic missiles hitting them. I also think that the 4 Summon Wolfs is excessive, it is far more than I can see being useful. If you took the vampire lord you would be left with 3 summon Wolfs which you should find sufficient.

backslide
07-09-2005, 05:38
all good points, the army list is very much in progress and I have only played one game with it thus far, I agree a lord does seem a better opption but i want to have a few games with a count before making the switch.

Forgotten_Hero
07-09-2005, 11:38
Just for the record my list looks like this:

Vampie Lord: Lvl 3, Cursed Book, Book of Arkhan, Summon Wolfs, 2*H-wep.

Vampire Thrall: Wolf Form, Summon Wolfs, Great Weapon, H-Armour, shield.

Vampire Thrall: Wolf Form, Summon Wolfs, Great Weapon, H-Armour, shield.

10 Levy, Banner

10 Levy Banner

5 Wolfs

5 Wolfs (Scout)

3 Bats

3 Bats

6 Black Knighs: Barding

2 Black Coach

24 Grave Gaurd: Full Comand, Drakenhoff Banner, Shileds.

It basicly works by having a massive pionts denial in the grave gaurd and Vamps (some times the Coaches too) and then boggin down the enemy then hitting them in the flanck, it has a high ability to kill Auxilary troops so only focuses on main units after this is done. It plays for the Long game holding off threats with summond wolfs and levy until i am ready to fight them.

backslide
07-09-2005, 22:37
certailly looks mean!! but no Drakenhoff guard?

and no ward save on the vamp? it's bold I'll give you that

Golradir
08-09-2005, 08:08
When I run Sylvania I prefer to use a Vampire Lord wearing the Crown of the Damned for a nice ward save, black periapt for an extra power or dispel dice depending on which phase you need help in, dispel scroll to give a fairly decent magic defense (5 dd when saving, 1 scroll, and mr 2 on 1 unit). He also carries summon wolves for a total of 2, which I find is plenty. One thrall is flayed hauberk+wolf form, and the other wolf form+summon wolves, both with great weapons.

I'm still considering a way to try to fit the book of arkhan or possibly the cursed book into the list, both are extremely useful times that I would really like to have around. I just don't feel good sacrificing the lord's ward, or taking out my one hard thrall's armor, in case I want him to run around solo.

backslide
11-09-2005, 10:35
used the lads today droped the hosts and scout wolves for a couch.

played a very good skaven player, I managed to break though the center in the end after a rash charge from him and levy with some vamp help smashing his clan rats.

highlight of the game was the unit of 45 crossbows raised with the help of 2 grave markers in 3 turns...

the only made 2 units of slaves panic and run with shooting but it was fun.

I had a solid win then discovered he was using 2250 not 2k, which made me feel even better!!

shadowprince
11-09-2005, 18:40
Also especially in a sylvanian list you really need a lord for the casteing power another dispel and magic dice. Becuase without some more casteing power first few turns all your bound spells are gone. Or maby give somone the sword of power.

backslide
11-09-2005, 21:24
Also especially in a sylvanian list you really need a lord for the casteing power another dispel and magic dice. Becuase without some more casteing power first few turns all your bound spells are gone.

I'm not cmpletely convinced of that one yet, the fexablity of 3 thralls is nice I haven't played any umber magic armys yet so may get back to you.

I will use a lord just havng fun with thralls for a while.

Or maby give somone the sword of power

NO!! it sucks badly.

shadowprince
11-09-2005, 22:13
not really. Its not the wow kill that thing. Its the hit a few smal units of guys such as scouts or skirmishes, win combat you get about 2 powerdice and kill a unit.

backslide
13-09-2005, 07:44
I can see your point, but I need my vapires to have summon wolves all of them!!! so I can't justify it's points cost not to mention it's general naffness

Debaser
03-11-2005, 13:26
i realize this is thread necromancy (but what better a thread to do so?), but im starting VC, and am torn between a sylvanian list and a standard list.

Why i like von carstein VC:
-necromancers. lots of magic flying around.

Why i like AoS:
-fell bats core. means i can have more knights.
-summoned skeletons with crossbows. very cool. seems like pulling up 10 or so shooting units anywhere on the board (virtually) is good. but is it better then summoning regular skellies and charging with them? is trading combat power for tactical power good in this case?
-skellies with halberds. i like S4 regenerative units.

in any case, i posted this here, as it seemed to be one of few past threads with useful AoS information.

your advice?

fubukii
03-11-2005, 16:10
You may want to throw a scroll in somewhere man, also maybe that magic resistance bloodline power. Other then that the 2nd list looks quite nice, should beef your levy up to 20 though.

TAU AIR CASTE
06-11-2005, 23:34
i realize this is thread necromancy (but what better a thread to do so?), but im starting VC, and am torn between a sylvanian list and a standard list.

Why i like von carstein VC:
-necromancers. lots of magic flying around.

Why i like AoS:
-fell bats core. means i can have more knights.
-summoned skeletons with crossbows. very cool. seems like pulling up 10 or so shooting units anywhere on the board (virtually) is good. but is it better then summoning regular skellies and charging with them? is trading combat power for tactical power good in this case?
-skellies with halberds. i like S4 regenerative units.

in any case, i posted this here, as it seemed to be one of few past threads with useful AoS information.

your advice?

It's not the halberds on skellies ect that makes them good it's the 4+ sv on levy in H2H that amkes them good, 2 coachs and 3/4 bound spells every turn. Also it's worth pointing out that the fack fell bats are core will not give you more knights as the knights are a 0-1 rare choice.

BLACKSIDE you might want to consider taking the black coachs (2 if possible) as the ability to take 2 of them is one of the best things about the list and the fact they are cheaper. 1 is hard to kill but 2 :eek: and bear in mind you should have no problems with cannons due to you summon wolfs and fell bats. Also I have seen FORGOTTEN-HERO'S list in action and I have to admit the lord seems like a better choice then the count (harder much harder, more PD more DD).

Debaser
07-11-2005, 02:02
so lets talk about levy vs militia. is there any reason not to take levy, when you get LA, shield+HW? at all?

and do you guys take spears for the defense, or halberds for the offense (only on militia)? i understand shields/hw is good in a long combat, but say ive got a hellish vigoured charging unit w/champ. thats 6 RR 4S hits! seems good....

ive never heard anyone speak good of black coaches. is that just because of the pts cost? is that why youre suggesting 2 in a sylvanian list?

additionally, id like to see some lord kits pls. i just dont know which items i like best on mine.

TAU AIR CASTE
07-11-2005, 02:20
so lets talk about levy vs militia. is there any reason not to take levy, when you get LA, shield+HW? at all?

and do you guys take spears for the defense, or halberds for the offense (only on militia)? i understand shields/hw is good in a long combat, but say ive got a hellish vigoured charging unit w/champ. thats 6 RR 4S hits! seems good....

ive never heard anyone speak good of black coaches. is that just because of the pts cost? is that why youre suggesting 2 in a sylvanian list?

additionally, id like to see some lord kits pls. i just dont know which items i like best on mine.

well black coachs are great but they tend to be 200 free victory points for any enemy with cannons but in the S.L. they cost less, you can take 2 and you shouldn't have to worry about cannons as you summon stuff from their board edge if you want.

Debaser
07-11-2005, 02:43

TAU AIR CASTE
07-11-2005, 02:53
Hey Dude Why Did You Post The Same Post Again? :eyebrows:
If you look at the lists on page 1 and 2 you'll see a couple of lord's.

backslide
06-09-2008, 14:21
thread necromancy !!!! (insert evil laugh)

was this even warseer in 2005? or still portent?