PDA

View Full Version : A Lesson in COURAGE

Crazy Harborc
27-08-2005, 01:59
I am watching a documentary "Inside 9/11"

A man, a survivor who managed to get down the stairwell and out. On one stairwell landing, he was eyeball to eyeball with a NYC Fireman going up the stairs. The survivor said (very firmly, with strong conviction in his voice) that fireman knew where he was going and he didn't miss a damn step. He knew he was going to die.

THAT is what courage is ALL about. Doing it (whatever "it" is) in the face of what will likely be death.

This isn't about terrorists, war in Iraq Bush being wrong or right. It's about men and women who did their duty, who disregarded their own safety. They went into a burning hell because they might save someone. No one could save them, the police officers and the firemen are gone.

It's also about the passengers in flight 93(?). The plane that went down into a field, nose down rather than risk being the forth plane to hit a target that day.

Maybe I'll post more of my views about the Pentagon that day. I've had it for now.

EDIT TIME..........Lets not turn this into a P & R flamer about Bush and Iraq.

Xisor
27-08-2005, 03:33
I think Mr Winston Smith has it reasonably well in "1984", that when it comes to times of crisis it's not your enemy, or the situation that is your biggest problem, it is your body and your mind itself. Whilst freezing up in the face of terror is a terrible thing, it is not wholey 'wrong', as it happens. Rather the courage and such comes from people able to overcome such things. All that said, I really have my suscpicions that the firemen of NY 11/09/01 'knew' they were going to die. Sure they may have suspected it, but thats what makes firemen/women(are there?) properly 'wow' in the eyes of everyday people, but then again alot of other people do this too. Again, I'll likely regret this, but it is quite sensationalist to get all up about how we must salute our heroes. Surely it is best to be thankful for unsung heroes, rather than repeat the hymns for those that are already acknowledged?

All that said, I believe comedian Dara O'Brien put the 'terrorist monstrosity' into a good light at his recent show when he made a(rather tasteful[not tasteless]) joke about the London bombings. to paraphrase:

"I very much respect and admire how Londoners handled the bombings...'Oh blimey! There's been a bomb on the Picadilly line! We'd best go via Victoria...'".

Basically, it's nice to show respect for courage, but if courage is totally hailed above all else, it becomes 'devalued' in an aspect, probably best simply to look on it and accept it humbly, rather than shout and praise about it...but then this could be just me, again like Dara says..."Let's not get all American Patriot about it..."

Xisor

C. Langana
27-08-2005, 03:37
To avoid the moe risque of topics. courage exists today as it has always done, I am pleased that it does. Amen.

Lord Lucifer
27-08-2005, 04:02
The man who can most truly be accounted brave is he who knows the meaning of what is sweet in life and what is terrible, and then goes out undeterred to meet what is to come
-Pericles

There's courage in a lot of things.
Police officers going about their duty knowing the next sod they meet might be armed, Firefighters knowing the next blaze they fight could collapse on them, surgeons realising a risky procedure could kill their patient and living with that guilt even while they continue their practise...

Lots of things amount to courage. Firefighters are one example

TitusAndronicus
27-08-2005, 04:22
I'm watching this as well. I knew two of the men who died in the Pentagon that day, and I've lost a number of pals since. I don't want to bust your bubble or nothin, but when it's gone all screwed up and things are bad, you generally aren't thinking of being tough or couragous. You just sort of focus on doing the next thing and refuse to think about it. Those guys weren't being fearless, or showing courage (least I dont think so, and I've done similar things and paid for it as well) they were simply so damned focused on doing their duty that the idea of dieing was unimportant, somehow. I don't know how to describe the actual state of being, but you can be scared as hell and find some sort of refuge in just doing the job, you know? I have stood in the middle of a road arguing over a map with tracers cutting holes in the damned map, and just not cared. We're funny animals that way.

I'm sorry. I am suddenly finding that I don't know how to talk about this. But I hope you can sort of get it. I have an awful lot of awards for courage and suchlike for stupid things that never really mattered. But I'll tell you, the men who went up those stairs will be my heros till the day I die. Their deaths completely humble me. Their lives on that long day found more value than all I have done or will ever do. I'm grateful I never had to make that sacrifice, but humbled by those who did.