PDA

View Full Version : Black Coach....yes or no

Templar_Of_The_Night
29-08-2007, 20:28
I've just started a vampire counts army and i tried out the stores black coach in one of my games and found it very handy me the game but alot of ppl in the store recomended i not buy one because they cost 2 many points ....looking at its sats its got the equiptment to even out its cost, but against an army with a few cannons its a fish in a can, any1 got any helpful suggestions?

badgeraddict
29-08-2007, 20:50
It is a beautiful model!

Its not as useful as its profile or special rules would suggest.

However I have witnessed it being a total chariot of utter doom, crushing all.

Not when I use it!

bluesky322
29-08-2007, 20:57
id say yes if you dont fight oppenents that have strength 7 attacks

i stoped taking mine because i keep having to fight a lizard with s7 and he moves 20 or something with magic item or i have to fight ogres or i have to fight cannons

explorator
29-08-2007, 20:59
I love the Black Coach. Yes, against cannons you will suffer, but do not forget the ward save. The high toughness, decent armor save, and passable ward save make the coach very durable against most armies, plus terror and high unit strength to break ranks. Yes please!

pcgamer72
30-08-2007, 02:54
It can cause a lot of havoc against some armies. If you were to bring it to a tournament, then most players would probably love that you brought it out, because the majority of lists don't include one.

Sure, there are some armies that it is going to suffer against, but if those cases, you can always try to hide it as much as possible until you do something about those parts of the army.

Templar_Of_The_Night
30-08-2007, 09:48
Right, thanks all 4 the help looks like its a big yes from u guys so thanks alot ;), the model is very nice and it would be nice 2 use it in a tournament, just 4 the purpose of how it looks, as u lot have explained, it looks like i'm just going 2 have 2 keep my eyes open 4 those strenth 7 attacks and avoid them where i can but its high movment means if i do hide it, i will be able 2 bring it into the battle where i need it pretty quickly once the coast is clear :skull:

Makaber
30-08-2007, 11:50
Dude, you got to stop using numbers in your text. It's a pain to read, especially in a context that often includes digits for numerical reasons.

Go with the Black Coach. It's a good chariot, causes Terror, and even it's a little overpriced, it's still a good chariot so you're not exactly throwing money out the window.

Fredmans
30-08-2007, 12:56
I love the model, but as the other posters have said, be beware. Do not use it against Empire or Dwarves. I have faced it as an O&G player in 6th, before S5 lords and it was nasty. Used right, it is a good option, although a little expensive in points.

/Fredmans

sephiroth87
30-08-2007, 17:54
Run it up a flank, on the other side of where the cannons are...

It's possible to use it well. It doesn't have to sit inside your 12'' march range and has a huge charge range. Your best bet is to run it up a side and hit some light troops with it, because you need those extra wounds. Also, you don't want it to ever sit in combat by itself, because its regular attacks are terrible.

The wraith has 1 strength 4 attack and the horses give you 2 strength 3 attacks. Ugh... Always hit light armored units or flank with it, canceling ranks. Never, never, never hit the front of a ranked unit.

Goldenwolf
30-08-2007, 19:31
It can be very useful, but you'll probably need to screen it with Doom Wolves and terrain. It's up to you, I have one and use it in 2000+ point games, but have also had it hammered by a Cannon on turn 1.

Von Wibble
30-08-2007, 20:48
Run it up a flank, on the other side of where the cannons are...

It's possible to use it well. It doesn't have to sit inside your 12'' march range and has a huge charge range. Your best bet is to run it up a side and hit some light troops with it, because you need those extra wounds. Also, you don't want it to ever sit in combat by itself, because its regular attacks are terrible.

The wraith has 1 strength 4 attack and the horses give you 2 strength 3 attacks. Ugh... Always hit light armored units or flank with it, canceling ranks. Never, never, never hit the front of a ranked unit.

I thuoght the Wraith had 2 attacks (doesn't change the sentiment of your post though). My opponent never misses or fails to wound with them. Ever.

My empire find the coach easy and my wood elves can generally dodge it. But my high elves and tomb kings otoh struggle against it. I have found that if the coach doesn't get bogged down vs high CR units (which is the case as long as its supported), and avoids S7 its fine. But since a coach plus support costs about the same as a well tooled combat unit it has to be used well. Also Banshees are great!

The one game I didn't nail the coach early it took out half my army. He was only a few vps off a draw despite losing his general (Manfred von Carstein) early.

sephiroth87
30-08-2007, 20:58
You're right. It does have 2 attacks. My bad.

Templar_Of_The_Night
31-08-2007, 09:43
ok so i think i've got my system. Keep it on the least protected flank along with 5 wolves while my knights are on the other, keep my opponent pressed on both sides. Thnks again for all the replies they really helped with my decision :cool:

fearchanges
01-09-2007, 10:13
Great model, can be useful, but a waste of points against Empire and Dwarf Players. The 5+ wardsave ain't that good enough

eleveninches
05-09-2007, 11:15
As long as you can take out cannons (either dance macabre the black knights to get them into combat, or raise a unit of zombies in front of the cannon), then it can work VERY well. I've had games where it ended up with over 25 wounds on it

sralialo
16-09-2007, 12:17
I allways use it in my 2000 pts all-commers list. It's a great center piece model, and used right, it can be very dangerous.

Sure, it's going to meet a few canon balls and great weapons and die, but it's also going to win you lots of combats when it gets a supporting side-charge against blocks of infantry. Just don't get it stuck in prolonged close combats, and you'll do fine.

And did I say it was a great model? I guess I did, but it's worth mentioning more than once...

Good luck!