PDA

View Full Version : Starting LOTR

MAD MAN-A-TRON
29-08-2007, 21:44
Hello, I've recently purchased a force to begin playing LOTR, here's the list I'm planning to use. I have a fetish for gribbly monsters and I think his list fits into that well. What do you think?

Spider Queen

4 Giant Spiders

1 Bat Swarm

Dragon with Fly

Total: 495

Kroot Lord
30-08-2007, 14:37
Definatly looks like a fun army. You don't have any numbers though whichi s a very big problem. Most scenarios you will not do well in except in pitched battle, but there your Giant Spiders will die quickly resulting in force broken and then your Dragon will more likely then not run back to the mountains where it came from, recon and storm the camp.

A Dragon at 500 points really isn't too great, but if you still wish to go for it take one with tough hide and fly and then spend 150 points on fast stuff like Warg Riders led by Sharku or a captain on warg to keep up with it.

MAD MAN-A-TRON
03-09-2007, 19:00
Yeah, after playing a game with the army, I realized the more models on the table, the better. I've decided to use the dwellers from below list in Khazad-Dum supplement with the dragon as an ally. Basically, I replace the spider queen, her spiders and the bat swarm for 32 goblins and a goblin Captain. 11 goblins have shields, 11 have spears and ten have bows, the captain has a shield.

ghost hunter
03-09-2007, 19:40
Im thinking of starting too so what would be a good starting force for gondor??

Pertinax
05-09-2007, 19:02
For Gondor, you can't really go wrong with a box of Minas Tirith Warriors, and a command blister. Then, you might want to add some knights, or some rangers. Personally, I'd go for rangers there...

Follow that up by a character or two, and you have a pretty solid starting force.

Kroot Lord
06-09-2007, 14:42
Are you giving the Dragon any upgrades?
I'd give it Fly as standard, you need something fast in the otherwise slow Goblin army.

ghost hunter, I'd make your own topic if you want more replies along without hi-jacking this thread which is about an army including a monsterous thingy.

MAD MAN-A-TRON
07-09-2007, 14:55
Yeah, it has fly, and in higher point games, I think I'll give it breath fire, or the one that adds two wounds and two to its defense. I'm not sure which one I'll pick though.

Kroot Lord
07-09-2007, 19:18
Breath fire ISN'T worth it!
You NEED the will to pass your courage tests.

Tough hide (+2 to defence and wounds) is definatly worth it. Not for the wounds but for the defence.

Wyrmtongue is pretty good aswell but hey,; you're a dragon, why would you need to transfix somebody for example?

I think he has drain courage, and if he does it is pretty good becaus eoyu just keep draining the enemy heroes their courage and they won't be able to charge you!