PDA

View Full Version : Unit champion special rules

heldane
29-08-2007, 22:12
Hey.

Whats the situation if a unit champion has a special rule that his unit doesnt have?
For example, a bretonnian knight errants force can have errant units with a grail knight leader who has immune to psychology.

Now, I know that Knights errants units in a errantry war list are immune to psychology on the charge, but what about if they're charged? Would the above unit be able to use the units chamion special rule?

Dan

theunwantedbeing
29-08-2007, 22:34
If you look towards the psychology section of the rulebook and read through it a few times your questions should be answered.

If not,return here with page references to bits you dont understand.

ZomboCom
29-08-2007, 23:06
Or to summarise, a character with immunity to psychology does NOT pass that ability on to his unit. Ditto for champions.

heldane
29-08-2007, 23:12
Or to summarise, a character with immunity to psychology does NOT pass that ability on to his unit. Ditto for champions.

Thankyou.

An easy and concise answer as opposed to being asked to go and look for an ambigous rule that isnt dealt with in the rulebook as far as I can see.

Many thanks Zombocom

Dan

Festus
30-08-2007, 06:29
Hi

The rule is explicitly dealt with in the rulebook. ItP Characters lose their ItP if they join a unit without it.

Characters and Psychology, BRB

Festus

Masque
30-08-2007, 07:56
The rule is explicitly dealt with in the rulebook. ItP Characters lose their ItP if they join a unit without it.

Characters and Psychology, BRB

Not all that explicitly as we're talking about a champion rather than a character. I would apply the character rule to a champion as well though.

warlord hack'a
30-08-2007, 08:35
which is why it says 'champions follow all the rules for characters with the following exceptions' (or something with a similar meaning) ;-)

Masque
30-08-2007, 09:08
which is why it says 'champions follow all the rules for characters with the following exceptions' (or something with a similar meaning) ;-)

Actually that's backwards. It says champions count as characters in the following cases. None of which have anything to do with psychology.

heldane
30-08-2007, 13:44

Actually, according to the little red book it says (not a perfect quote, but enough to give an idea)

Even though they are rank and file models rather than characters, champions are subject to the following rules that govern characters (se page.....)
-Champs move within unit as characters
-Accept and issue challenges
-Look out sir

It has nothing there about the psychology, hence me asking this question on here.

Dan

T10
30-08-2007, 14:02
Which also explains how this failed to answer your question:

If you look towards the psychology section of the rulebook and read through it a few times your questions should be answered.

If not,return here with page references to bits you dont understand.

You are correct in that the BRB does not adress the issue. However, non-homogenous rank-and-file are the exception rather than the rule, so it is necessary to apply a bit of creativity.

The simplest solution is to treat the way the champion affects unit psychology similar to that of a fully fledged character.

In that case it just means that the champion's immunity to psychology does not carry over to the unit, and the unit is still compelled to make their Ld tests to refrain from charging.

-T10

warlord hack'a
30-08-2007, 18:56
that indeed seems the logical thing to do, the other option being that the champs psychology rules do rub of on the unit, which makes the champ have more influence on his unit than the army general which I can only assume is not the intention of the GW writers..

ZomboCom
31-08-2007, 12:59
Given that the only situation where this can happen is in a Storm of Chaos list, be thankful that's the largest rules issue with the list. Several of the SoC lists don't work at all in 7th.

The Middenheim list refers to Knights of the White Wolf, which no longer exist.

The Black Orc list has a character with a spell cast on him that makes him worse, and is now very confusing about character slots.

If you're gonna play a SoC list you need to play with a little leeway anyway, so just play this one the way it's clearly supposed to be, i.e the grail knight loses his immunity while in a unit.