PDA

View Full Version : Can Skinks still use short bows?

PrinnySquad
30-08-2007, 12:25
I've just got an old Warhammer Fanstay Starter set off eBay, Lizardmen and Brettonnians. The models are old(which is a problem). However, all the skinks have shortbows, and I'm wondering if I'll just have to do counts as, or if they can use(I could wait until Monday when I'm getting the army book, but I'm just wondering)

Mad Doc Grotsnik
30-08-2007, 12:29
They can in a Southlands list. If not, just count as Blow Pipes.

sephiroth87
30-08-2007, 18:36
Goddamnit. I tried to buy that a week or two ago and I was outbid....

Glad you got it.:D

As far as real information goes, there is an army list called "Southlands" in the back of the book which is completely official and doesn't need your opponent's permission to use. It's what my Lizard army is. The skinks are allowed to use shortbows, but you have pretty severe restrictions on different units (like you're limited to one scar-vet saurus character, he counts as a lord choice, and you have to take him to be able to take 1 unit of Saurus infantry). The list is deceptively good, but only if you don't take the fun stuff in the list, like skink infantry blocks. The list, when strongest, is shooty as hell with lots of skinks, salamanders, some kroxigors, and 5 skink priests.

If you want to use them in a regular list, you have no shortbows, but it's very simple to buy some metal tubing from a hobby shop. Just cut off the bows and put the tubing in their hand. Voila!!! Blowpipe skinks at a quarter of the cost.

Abduction
30-08-2007, 19:08
I miss shortbows, it would've been nice to have them, at least as an option costin like +1pt/model or something.

PrinnySquad
30-08-2007, 19:26
Goddamnit. I tried to buy that a week or two ago and I was outbid....

Glad you got it.:D

As far as real information goes, there is an army list called "Southlands" in the back of the book which is completely official and doesn't need your opponent's permission to use. It's what my Lizard army is. The skinks are allowed to use shortbows, but you have pretty severe restrictions on different units (like you're limited to one scar-vet saurus character, he counts as a lord choice, and you have to take him to be able to take 1 unit of Saurus infantry). The list is deceptively good, but only if you don't take the fun stuff in the list, like skink infantry blocks. The list, when strongest, is shooty as hell with lots of skinks, salamanders, some kroxigors, and 5 skink priests.

If you want to use them in a regular list, you have no shortbows, but it's very simple to buy some metal tubing from a hobby shop. Just cut off the bows and put the tubing in their hand. Voila!!! Blowpipe skinks at a quarter of the cost.

Cutting of the bows may be quite difficult- they hold right up against their side.
EDIT:
THe bases for the Saurus are smaller as well- will this matter?

Crazy Harborc
31-08-2007, 03:04
I got some paper clips. I snipped off the bows on my old skinks, used a small pin vice/drill for the holes. I got several suitable length "blowpipes" from each paperclip after I "straightened" them out.

sephiroth87
31-08-2007, 19:33
I cut off the bows from 30 of my shortbow skinks and did it. The bows are pretty easy to get off if you take a sharp hobby knife to the model. The bottoms of the bows are attached, but you can either cut them down, cover them with bitz (the hip pouches that kroot come with are great), or just leave them.

The saurus warriors need to be on 25mm bases. If you do not have 25mm bases I'd get some. It makes a difference in the game.