PDA

View Full Version : New DoW units (long post)

taer
11-04-2005, 19:06
Hi y'all. This is a set of rules for some new generic DoW units. The idea behind them is 1: make all the generic warmachines available to players, similar to what the General's compendium; and 2: introduce a couple units that make it easier for those who have leanings toward historical/semi-historical armies, but want to find an opponent (since WAB is played by next to no-one)

1: Dogs of War Human infantry
M-4 WS-3 BS-3 S-3 T-3 W-1 I-3 A-1 Ld-7 pts/model: 4
Equipment: Hand weapon
Options: May be given shields (+1pt/model), Light armor (+1 pt/model), and spears (+1 pt/model), or may be given bows (+3 pt/model) Command may be bought at the same price as infantry command in the DoW list.
Unit size: 10+
May be hired as a core unit in Dow armies, or as a rare unit in other armies that are allowed DoW

2: Dogs of War Light chariots
M WS BS S T W I A Ld Sv. Pts/model 35
Chariot - - - 4 4 3 - - - 5+
Rider - 3 3 3 - - 3 1 7 -
Horse 8 3 - 3 - - 3 1 - -
Equipment: The crew are armed with spears and bows
Options: May take the same command options as cavalry, at the points listed. (note, the champion gains +1 attack instead of BS, even though he has a bow)
Special rules: Light chariot: d3 impact hits, ranked unit, character hit by shooting attacks on 5+, only adds +1 AS to characters riding in one
Unit size: 3-12
May be hired as a special choice in DoW armies, or as a rare choice in other armies that may hire DoW.

3:Dogs of War Heavy Chariot
M WS BS S T W I A Ld Sv. Pts/model 80
Chariot - - - 5 4 4 - - - 5+
Rider - 3 3 3 - - 3 1 7 -
Horse 8 3 - 3 - - 3 1 - -
Equipment: The crew are armed with spears and bows, the chariot has scythed wheels
Follow all the normal rules for chariots
May be hired as special choice in DoW armies, or as a rare choice in other armies that may hire DoW. 1-2 chariots may be chosen as a single choice

4: Bolt Thrower
Crew M-4 WS-3 BS-3 S-3 T-3 W-1 I-3 A-1 LD-7 Pts/model 50
Uses the profile for bolt throwers in the WHFBRB
May be hired as special choice in DoW armies, or as a rare choice in other armies that may hire DoW. 1-2 Bolt throwers may be chosen as a single choice

5: Stone Thrower
Crew M-4 WS-3 BS-3 S-3 T-3 W-1 I-3 A-1 LD-7 Pts/model 100
Uses the profile for Stone Throwers in the WHFBRB
May be hired as rare choice in DoW armies, or as a rare choice in other armies that may hire DoW.

And finally 6:
New character mount options: A mercenary general, Wizard lord, or Captain may ride in a light chariot (35 points, displacing a crew man) or a heavy chariot chosen as a special choice, displaing one of the crew.

Edit: Having cruised through Foundry a bit more (the ultimate in historical wargames miniatures), I have found it necessary to add one further addition

7:Light cavalry may be given light armor for free, but no longer count as fast cavalry if they choose to do this. All other options for the unit remain unchanged.

nurgle_boy
12-04-2005, 09:59
sounds verry cool. the lack of human infantary in the main official list is a bit crap, but this fills it in nicely. the chariot idea is verry cool, and model-wise, wouldnt be hard to convert. the only problem is you havnt put if the steeds have barding or not. do they?
the stone thrower and bolt throwr are cool, but i cant see any background for humans thet use them (correct me if im wrong, i only just woke up)

otherwise, verry cool, and if i start a DoW army, i may be willing to playtest, though it seems theyed work fine

taer
12-04-2005, 15:47
No, the steeds are not barded on either chariot.

Reabe
28-04-2005, 19:54
Dogs of War also need the General to have a great weapon choice.

Hideous Loon
04-05-2005, 08:12
Good initiative, taer. I believe the Dogs were in need of some new generic units.

And now...the nitpickiness! :skull:
If (and that's a big if) those new units get accepted, aren't you afraid that players will use them to be cheesy? For instance, Dwarf armies having a units of 9 Light Chariots? Or are generic players so honourable that they won't?

taer
01-06-2005, 19:33
I kinda fail to see how 9 light chariots would be "cheesy", let alone more "cheesy" than the ability to take Asarnil the dragonlord in a 1000pt. Game in an empire army with a cannon and some handgunners.

Angelripper
13-06-2005, 20:57
Sounds great to me, especially if you want to field a themed Army. I personally could use my Roman Legions in WHFB. The Stone and Boltthrower are a nice addition, and quite reasonable because not all Humans life in the allmighty blackpowder Empire. The Brets for example use the Trebuchet.
I would place the origin of my Army in the rough wilderness like Estalia or the uncivilized parts of Tilea.
As for the possible Chariot :cheese: , I never saw Tomb King Light Chariots doing anything worse than occupy space and draw fire. Just flank and spank'em, shouldn't be that difficult. I definitley playtest the new Units.

Btw. does anybody play WAB but me? Never saw a WAB player in my region.
I'd use foundry Romans as Infantry & Cavalry, some Germans or Celts (as Marauders) and some Gladiators (as Duellists) for example.
Oh and Blacktreedesign has some real cool Warmaschines such as the
Roman 120lb Onager and the Roman 60lb Ballista. Bought them and they look really impressive. Just the crew looks funny.