PDA

View Full Version : what would fit the best in a 40k movie?

Nerak
30-08-2007, 21:27
Hello everyone. One thing Iv'e been thinking about is which of the 40k characters and/or battles that should be made into a movie. I know that we have a HH-movie-thread but still. My first option would be the famous "Battle for maccrage" where the Ultramarines defeated the Tyranid hive fleet behmoth. After all, is there anyone who wouldn't like to se a full chapter of space marines, accompenied by a few guard regiments and a few titans, take on an entire hive fleet? Where talking The hardest of the hardest here.

Also, another thing that would fit very well would be the "heroic" commisar Cain. Seriously, is there any other character in 40k that would fit better? The books are almost written for it to be a movie. Also, he's lain back attitude is something everyone can relate to.

Lastly I think that the first war for Armageddon would be very fitting. Mostly because there's no real books about Commisar Yarrick (or have I missed something here?). That would give the Movie-makers kind of free-hands to do it how they would like it. What doyou guys think?

The Guy
30-08-2007, 21:31
Personally i think that it should be either HH or 13th black crusade. But a film with nids or necrons would make a great horror movie IMO :D

Drogmir
30-08-2007, 21:56
It's all money and time for these things.

I would love to see Medusa V for just for the hell of it!

Reflex
30-08-2007, 22:48
not to be a ball buster, but this topic has been discussed so many times i would be so sure that if you did a search it would make even NASA's computers freeze up...

empireguard
30-08-2007, 23:12
Well if they did make a movie I think the whole thing should be in CGI. You Just couldn't get the whole Heroic Scale the mini's have with real people.

I think they should do Eye of terror or some other GW campaign just because I would be cool to think that we as the gaming community helped shape the story.

[SD] Bob Plisskin
31-08-2007, 02:08
I think the first Ragnor Blackmane book would make a good movie, it would be easier for other people to get into because you don't have to know what a spacemarine is as the book deals with the creation of spacemarines from the local population. Also by not being an all out sci-fi film the first half being more of a character piece set in a viking style world. Since the first book would make a good standalone introduction to all things 40k it then opens up the possibility to have other films exploring other areas - eg eisenhorn etc, once the universe has been layed out in these you could go back and do a prequel of sorts with the HH.

I agree with the majority of posters in the HH thread that it would be best handled by the japanese and completely animated.

However I think GW will always be too busy to ever get round to doing a film, the only way it would work is if they had one of their long time developers advising and they're too valuable due to the constant codex releases etc.

Arcanus
31-08-2007, 02:27
Bob Plisskin;1866007']I think the first Ragnor Blackmane book would make a good movie, it would be easier for other people to get into because you don't have to know what a spacemarine is as the book deals with the creation of spacemarines from the local population. Also by not being an all out sci-fi film the first half being more of a character piece set in a viking style world. Since the first book would make a good standalone introduction to all things 40k it then opens up the possibility to have other films exploring other areas - eg eisenhorn etc, once the universe has been layed out in these you could go back and do a prequel of sorts with the HH.

I agree with the majority of posters in the HH thread that it would be best handled by the japanese and completely animated.

However I think GW will always be too busy to ever get round to doing a film, the only way it would work is if they had one of their long time developers advising and they're too valuable due to the constant codex releases etc.

Why not make a movie about the Emperor becoming the Emperor. When the Emperor unifies Earth and all that. That would be a good introduction into the 40k universe.

Freethinker
01-09-2007, 14:44
Honestly? The Eisenhorn Trilogy.

Ktotwf
01-09-2007, 16:22
It would probably have to be the Horus Heresy.

Dalenator
01-09-2007, 16:56
The Gaunts ghosts novels. with a "Saving Private Ryan" kinda atmosphere.

Arcanus
01-09-2007, 20:01
It would probably have to be the Horus Heresy.

That would only appeal to 40k fans. They should start at the begining with the Emperor uniting Earth and all that.

Noceo
01-09-2007, 21:11
I for one would love to see a movie done about the Glorious Conquests of Lord Commander Solar Macharius. From the opening conclave of Mount Alamath on Gathamalamor to his mysterious death in the Halo of Stars. To not have the bland oh my were being invaded by aliens, mutants, and flying carpets with men wielding sickles and knives from outer space feel to it instead it would be a story of the Imperial Guard crushing the enemies of the Emperor on enemies own soil.

The Guy
01-09-2007, 21:52
Why not make a movie about the Emperor becoming the Emperor. When the Emperor unifies Earth and all that. That would be a good introduction into the 40k universe.

Wouldn't that be a bit dull though? Warhammer is about action and giant wars. Yea it would be a good introduction. Maybe it could be just a promo movie to see how it goes?

Chilltouch
01-09-2007, 22:11
That kind of movie is what you would release after the original product is out to reveal the earlier stages of the universe. For example - KoToR, the Silma-whateveritis and so on.

Personally, I think it would be best if it came from the point of view of a non-Imperial human empire on the fringes of the galaxy, only really inhabiting one or two systems. A mainly secular, multi-cultural, democratic society very similar to our own that was seperated from the rest of mankind during the Age of Strife and had forgotten all of its past. We see things from the point of view of this inter-stellar nation as they finally come in contact with the big cheeses of 40K.

The kind of "It doesn't matter who wins, we die" scenario as they have to choose sides to decide what would be best for themselves. And through that, the audience discovers the intricate parts of 40K. What's a Space Marine, the Imperium, etc.

Kage2020
01-09-2007, 22:34
My god, it's the movie Doom waiting to happen... :S

Kage

Marstfu
02-09-2007, 00:19
Lastly I think that the first war for Armageddon would be very fitting. Mostly because there's no real books about Commisar Yarrick (or have I missed something here?). That would give the Movie-makers kind of free-hands to do it how they would like it. What doyou guys think?

First war was Chaos.

Arcanus
02-09-2007, 00:27
Wouldn't that be a bit dull though? Warhammer is about action and giant wars. Yea it would be a good introduction. Maybe it could be just a promo movie to see how it goes?

There was action, giant wars, and a massive ritual suicide what else would you want.

Kandarin
02-09-2007, 01:58
The way I see it, the big question in terms of movie potential is "How much do you have to explain?" A movie would have to be profitable, and there aren't enough serious 40K fans to make a big-budget, CGI-gorgeous feature film turn a profit. To pull it off, the filmmakers would have to appeal to non-40kers, which means it wouldn't do for them to be left thinking "Okay, what's that other alien race? And why is that guy mutating?"

I think this means that Medusa V, most of the novels, and the HH aren't really plausible. There's simply too much going on and too many major players that the audience has to be introduced to. A movie about a war between the Imperium and *one* enemy would be doable.

Devil-Tears
02-09-2007, 02:37
Personally i think that it should be either HH or 13th black crusade. But a film with nids or necrons would make a great horror movie IMO :D

Ya, but we have "Aliens":skull: and "Terminator":chrome: (respectively) for that.

Agreed. It would seem like one of those "Rise of Hitler" (pardon the comparison) movies, where it talks about what events happened where, who and what were involved, politics, etc. rather than on the wars.

Arcanus
02-09-2007, 02:55
Ya, but we have "Aliens":skull: and "Terminator":chrome: (respectively) for that.

Agreed. It would seem like one of those "Rise of Hitler" (pardon the comparison) movies, where it talks about what events happened where, who and what were involved, politics, etc. rather than on the wars.

The movie would be nothing like that. It'd start out following one of the Head Shamen going to the congregation about Earth's Future. Then the Shamen talk and decide the only way to save the Earth is for them to commit ritual suicide so all their souls can combine and go into one body. Then it follows around the Emperor. The movie would end right after the Age of Strife when the Emperor united mankind and The Emperor wouldutter something about a disturbance in the warp a.k.a. the Fall of the Eldar and the Birth of Slaanesh. That's how I'd string together the movie and it would be very eventful. I mean a ritual suicide in the first five minutes what else could you want.

Kage2020
02-09-2007, 03:26
...and there aren't enough serious 40K fans to make a big-budget, CGI-gorgeous feature film turn a profit.
Are there enough "serious 40k ['fluff'] fans" out there to persuade GW to produce pure background books without the wargame overtones? Hell, regardless of the wargame, to sort out so many of the issues?

Sure, they've got a captive market, but is that the same thing? I'm not entirely sure...

Kage

Devil-Tears
02-09-2007, 04:57
The movie would be nothing like that. It'd start out following one of the Head Shamen going to the congregation about Earth's Future. Then the Shamen talk and decide the only way to save the Earth is for them to commit ritual suicide so all their souls can combine and go into one body. Then it follows around the Emperor. The movie would end right after the Age of Strife when the Emperor united mankind and The Emperor wouldutter something about a disturbance in the warp a.k.a. the Fall of the Eldar and the Birth of Slaanesh. That's how I'd string together the movie and it would be very eventful. I mean a ritual suicide in the first five minutes what else could you want.

Dunno if you really want to see a bunch of people dying in the first 5 mins of a movie, kinda deviates from the intenseness of the rest of the movie.:D

On a serious note though, writing a movie on the Emperor's past may conflict with the ambiguity that GW has always presented the Emperor in, which is one of the big things in 40k. Don't get me wrong, I don't oppose at having a movie, but the topic of the movie would have to be carefully chosen with regards to the 40k franchise as a whole.

Arcanus
02-09-2007, 05:03
Dunno if you really want to see a bunch of people dying in the first 5 mins of a movie, kinda deviates from the intenseness of the rest of the movie.:D

On a serious note though, writing a movie on the Emperor's past may conflict with the ambiguity that GW has always presented the Emperor in, which is one of the big things in 40k. Don't get me wrong, I don't oppose at having a movie, but the topic of the movie would have to be carefully chosen with regards to the 40k franchise as a whole.

Well if they didn't make it an introduction many people wouldn't understand what's going on.

Stella Cadente
02-09-2007, 08:52
what would fit the best in a 40k movie you say.....hmm, anything with Guard and Orks, BUT NO SPACE MARINES, there already everywhere I look, I don't want a ******* movie about them

Arcanus
02-09-2007, 16:31
what would fit the best in a 40k movie you say.....hmm, anything with Guard and Orks, BUT NO SPACE MARINES, there already everywhere I look, I don't want a ******* movie about them

That's like saying I want a new bond movie. Espionage, High-tech gadgetry but, no bond everytime I look he's on screen.

Comrade Wraith
02-09-2007, 16:42
Personally i'd go for the horus heresy, as it is one of the most important things for any gamer to know about

Stella Cadente
02-09-2007, 16:45
That's like saying I want a new bond movie. Espionage, High-tech gadgetry but, no bond everytime I look he's on screen.

no its nothing like that at all, James Bond is about James Bond, 40k is NOT about nothing but Space marines

Nerak
02-09-2007, 17:28
-I posted this on the HH-film thread but it still fits. There's actually a Warhammer 40k movie named "Damnatus". check the threads-
I think that there is something that should be brought to everyones attention:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=77TpMvRZ_LQ <--sorry for it to be in german, but it's definately worth noticing that the attempt hase been tried. Here's the link to the movies homepage:
http://www.damnatus.com/

In addition, notice this:
"Since outrage about Games Workshop's ban of all fan films in general and of DAMNATUS in specific has emerged throughout the whole community, we now decided to put up an online petition, where you can sign and make clear that you do not support Games Workshop's wrong policy and condemn it"
This is written on the homepage of Damnatus. So even if somone hade the balls to make a(nother) 40K movie I don't really think that GW would allow it.

Chilltouch
02-09-2007, 17:36
Nerak, we're not talking about actually making a 40K film - and dare I say, Damnatus looks terrible - but rather, IF there was a 40K film, what would fit best in it.

And I still stick with my view that it should be about the attention of some of the forces in the galaxy turning their gaze on to a system of the very edge of the galaxy that lives in peaceful, democratic happiness until the big cheeses come along.

Arcanus
02-09-2007, 17:54
no its nothing like that at all, James Bond is about James Bond, 40k is NOT about nothing but Space marines

In most cases 40k is Space Marines. Without Space Marines there is no Imperium of Man.

Savior Angel
02-09-2007, 17:57
I'd think the HH would fit the best 40k movie, as this would be an important event that changed the 40k Universe.

Kandarin
02-09-2007, 18:47
-I posted this on the HH-film thread but it still fits. There's actually a Warhammer 40k movie named "Damnatus". check the threads-
I think that there is something that should be brought to everyones attention:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=77TpMvRZ_LQ <--sorry for it to be in german, but it's definately worth noticing that the attempt hase been tried. Here's the link to the movies homepage:
http://www.damnatus.com/

Uwe? Uwe, is that you in there?

Stella Cadente
03-09-2007, 04:20
In most cases 40k is Space Marines. Without Space Marines there is no Imperium of Man.

when I think of 40k the first thing in my head is Grim hardened guardsmen veterans, fighting off hordes of Xenos scumbags, the last thing I think of is boring plain cretinous marines, since there not the mainstay of the Imperium, the main fighting force is guard.

also if you watch a film with marines, I doubt anyone who's heard of warhammer would even connect to the characters, they'd just think there blue spacemen with an upside down U on there shoulder, but guardsmen are Human, easy to connect to.

in a movie marines are a big no no, and I would avoid such a movie if it was made, marines need to get off there high horse.

BDJV
03-09-2007, 04:39
I would hope if they do a movie they would create a new Chapter of Space Marines and leave the Chapters of legend out.

QFT

in a movie marines are a big no no, and I would avoid such a movie if it was made, marines need to get off there high horse.

Well if a movie ever happens you can bet your **** Space Marines will be in it; they are 40K's bread and butter. So you'll just have to miss out on the fun.

Arcanus
03-09-2007, 05:15
I would hope if they do a movie they would create a new Chapter of Space Marines and leave the Chapters of legend out.

QFT

Well if a movie ever happens you can bet your **** Space Marines will be in it; they are 40K's bread and butter. So you'll just have to miss out on the fun.

I completely argee with you. If Space Marines weren't in a Warhammer 40k movie it wouldn't make sense or be an accurate depiction of the 40k universe.

Revlid
03-09-2007, 05:41
I completely argee with you. If Space Marines weren't in a Warhammer 40k movie it wouldn't make sense or be an accurate depiction of the 40k universe.

It wouldn't make sense, but it would be an accurate depiction, given that there are what, a thousand chapters with a thousand marines? One million elite soldiers, spread across a galaxy of trillions and trillions, aren't exactly likely to be seen.

Personally, I'd like to see an adaptation of Gaunt's Ghosts or Eisenhorn. Maybe stick a Space Marine poster somewhere in the background, or on a vid-screen.

Stella Cadente
03-09-2007, 05:47
Great GW has succeeded in brainwashing people into thinking 40k is marines and marines are 40k

Devil-Tears
03-09-2007, 06:01
Great GW has succeeded in brainwashing people into thinking 40k is marines and marines are 40k

They never truly needed brainwashing, since most people are introduced into 40k through SM. The SM are GW's icon, and their favorite.

In a movie though, SM wouldn't be very interesting, since there wouldn't be much emotion, thoughts, nor humanity. I mean, the SM's answer to everything is: "For the Emperor!!"

Arcanus
03-09-2007, 06:05

No but the Space Marines are an important army in the Imperium of Man and since most if not all of the books GW puts out are in the perspective of the Imperial soldiers. It would have to include Space Marines to be accurate.

BDJV
03-09-2007, 06:10

It's not brainwashing as much as Space Marines are GW's 40K money maker. The movie doesn't have to focus on them but they will be there I am certain of it. I would be very surprised if the SM's didn't at least have a cameo in a 40K movie.

LexxBomb
03-09-2007, 06:21
I still wished they had finished the blood quest movie.
any movie should be CG and it could also even be a warhammer movie

Biomass Denial
03-09-2007, 09:02
You could do the movie from a guard perspevtive. But i think the history or flashback thing at the start like lor of the rings would be awesome. Even if it was just scenes of marines and guard killing xenos while going on about the grim darkness of the future and so on and so forth. Then go to the actual movie with gaurdsmen and saving private ryan but with lasguns.

Crazy Tom
03-09-2007, 09:53
Xenos would work the best, because it has a decent plot (compared to the shoot-em-ups that are the plots of pretty much every other BL piece) and doesn't rely on inhuman characters too much. It has the opportunity for some nice action set-pieces, good character interaction with Gregor, Alizibeth and Aemos (sp?) and also some mystery / opportunity for a future sequel with Cherubael's interference and odd relationship with the Inquisitor.

People seem to be ignoring what you actually need to make a movie, which is believeable characters. Try as you might, it's just not possible to make a movie focussing on Marines - they aren't human. It'd be like a movie about a tank, it wouldn't work. It's a weapon, pure and simple. Now, a movie about a tank crew would work, because it's humans in the driving seat. And that's why Xenos would be good, because it's a human (albiet a psyker) in the spotlight.

Giladis
03-09-2007, 11:41
Well I believe that a good 40K movie would be an Imperial farming world invaded by Tyranids and Necron at the same time. Non stop kick ass action with no corny dialgues just nasty, ugly, heartless aliens butchering humans and each other.

zekrish
03-09-2007, 12:37
It is clear that the best movie would be:
''THE BATTLE FOR THE EMPERORS PALACE:
This summer the galaxy burns!

Aegolius Honoris
03-09-2007, 12:40
HH movie series all the way.

Omg. Imagine the Ullanor Triumph! Legions of Space Marines, Millions of Army troopers, dozens of titans, all bowing to the Emperor and the Primarchs! Yes, even the Titans bowing, with their heads bowed, and guns raised as they knelt in homage to the champions of mankind. :D

Forget the Lord of the Rings, in fact, times that by four trillion and then you'd get the awesomeness of Warhammer 40,000: The Horus Heresy and beyond, directed by all concieveably good directors; steven spielberg, peter jackson, etc.

Anyway, thats my 42 cents.

Cheers.

Rockerfella
03-09-2007, 12:51
Yeah, i'd go with a Horus Heresy plot line for sure.

War in heaven would be quirky and cool too. For some. :P

Cheers!

The pestilent 1
03-09-2007, 13:47
That would only appeal to 40k fans. They should start at the begining with the Emperor uniting Earth and all that.

I said it before and I'll say it again.

You underestimate just what the general public like, for Twenty three years "It would appeal only to fans" was said about transformers.
Its taken Six hundred million at last count several weeks ago.

Personally I'd prefere a TV series myself, a set of TV movies perhaps.
Maybe an episode per book (Albeit hacked up a bit, but I can live with that)

Gdolkin
03-09-2007, 16:28
Ravenor series, for all the same reasons as the Eisenhorn series.

LexxBomb
04-09-2007, 08:03
the third war for armegeddon - you know when Tyco was killed (anyway whats he doing in the current codex and if he is alive why isn't he death company)

RedWolf
04-09-2007, 08:08
Whatever future movie they make, it must appeal to a mass audience in order to be a lucrative investment. While at the same time appeal to a new generation, and transform them into fanboys =)

So, in order to appeal to the newcomers, as well as the long time fans, it would be wise to adapt the Horus Heresy novels, as a set of films.

LexxBomb
04-09-2007, 08:12
so it would be warhammer 30k

whats 10,000 years in a title :)