PDA

View Full Version : local game workshops??????

tarvitz36
30-08-2007, 22:31
more and more i read strange things about the games workshops stores in the uk, so what ive decided to do is ask everyone to tell me what your local games workshop is like, bad things about the store and good things about the store, and strange things you think are not quite right or are really amazing and you would like to see in other games workshop stores that are local to you...

lets see, lets hear your stories

forthegloryofkazadekrund
31-08-2007, 09:19
not to say any names coughnorwichcough

over enthusiastic puppy like staff members who like to promote how good the new items are and how the wd has not got worse it has got more focused with comments like, "you dont have to have a detailed battle report, you can go online and read thousands"

lack of stock like affordable blister packs (not the higher end 10 + ones) and just general lack of box sets altogether

colmarekblack
31-08-2007, 12:23
Birmingham I find is the complete opposite they dont persue people across the shop, they just ask if they can help them if no then the staff go back to what their doing.

kairous
31-08-2007, 12:27
epsom
its local to me and abit out of the way of other shops, so only people who are interested or do the hobby come in.
The staff our great, a real good laugh, they run some nice campaigns and things too, there quite imaginative.

Some guy (UK)
31-08-2007, 13:40
Liverpool: the usual as far as I can see.

Staff are friendly, sometimes very pushy, over times not at all.
Sometimes they are manning the tills, others you have to call them over.
A core of similar 10-14 year olds that hang around the painting table.
Many people passing in and out just there to buy things.
I've seen a lot of dads taking sons in to try an intro, some being put off when they hear prices, or getting out of it by saying "We'll see".
One of the staff gives off a horrific odour.
Usually a good number of older people there.
Very well stocked.
Seem to run some interesting stuff in store.
Gamming room upstairs I think.
Okay location.

floyd pinkerton
31-08-2007, 13:55
Hull

Great staff. Friendly, funny, and good at what they do. Sometimes try to drive a hard sale with non-regulars.

Good location, decent size. Nice boards.

A wide range of regulars, though at the moment there seem to be more older players then young. Could have something to do with the change of managers.

Of course, this is all coming from the PoV of a regular...

Stella Cadente
31-08-2007, 17:33
Wolverhampton

Decent players, decent staff, a little bit of powergaming, but not enough to ruin a game, just make it a challenge, the staff will not push you into buying the new crap that nobody wants, and if you buy summit they don't question your purchase and push more on you.

Shrewsbury

hmmmm, well its mainly Fantasy gamers from what I see, and product pushy staff, and manager who I've only ever seen once, big store mind, lots of gaming tables and large painting area, but not a very nice attitude to the place, the staff question your orders and don't seem to trust anybody

starlight
31-08-2007, 17:36
Victoria, BC, Canada.

Great staff, excellent management (three in a row now), no high pressure sales. The only downside is that it's too small to really serve the community. :(

Keep up what they're doing and Retail should do well. :)

the1stpip
31-08-2007, 17:55
Lincoln

Cynical old gamers.

A bit unfair, but they don't prance around trying to sell you lotR stuff. If you look lost, they will ask if you want help, and they are a funny bunch to talk to.

I have had no problems with my local staff.

nurgle_boy
31-08-2007, 20:18
I have said in various threads about the quality of Bath GW, just check out the forums. I have onjly ever had minor problems, and these were mainly down to staffing problems (which we have had more of our fair share of!).

I dont have much experience of other stores, but that which I do have of the other wouthwest stores, is nothing hugely negative, other than the size of the premesis', and size is what bristol and Cribbs store lacks in.

Bath store has nigh on all available stock in at all times, and good staff (finaly a worthwhile manager as well!) The staff are enthusiastic (as they are paid to be) but not overly so. they rarely persue a customer unneccesarily, and if they do, it is to lech over a **** (yes I'm talking about you, James, James (now bristol staff), Dan, and in some cases, Alan. you all pounce!)

On the other hand, they are all lovely and cynical (except maybe for Alan, who is the most devout hobbyist EVER), and are good fun to be around, and to gripe about things with. It means that even on a slow day, it is difficult to get bored.

The average age group on regulars seems to be early teens (some of the older regulars, including myself have either had other things to do, or are drifting towards non GW gaming more), and the majority of them are more mature than it would seem. there are one or two exceptions. One boy, who calls himself 'Frenchy', can only be described as a four letter word, beggining with C, andding in T, with the second letter of U, and I am not talking about a cult... He may seem ok at first, but all he does is whinge about things, cheat during games, and act a ponce. All stores have one perswon to avoid, I'm sure...

Anyway, Bath is a good store, with nice staff, a good gaming community, and is an overall nice place to be!

NB.

Damien 1427
31-08-2007, 20:39
Lakeside, Thurrock is pretty good. The staff are knowledgeable and are usually very helpful. Southend is around the same, with Chelmsford being the only "meh" shop and that's mostly because I went in during the summer holidays and I could see in the staffers eyes he wanted to die.

So pretty good around here.

UltimateNagash
31-08-2007, 21:06
Yes, I know they're slightly far apart, but when you're moving ;)

Hemel (Hemptstead): It's bigger than the one below, and the one I go to the most. Never had the staff be pushy, but found the staff slightly more helpful down below.

Watford: I don't go there as much, but it's got good staff. It's crowded though... Helpful staff

Oxford: Well, only been there twice, but it'll be my new local soon... It's a good size and the staff (and regulars) seemed nice...
Shame I'm missing the Chaos release... :( Still, there's always Apocalypse, High Elves, Orks :evilgrin:)

scarletsquig
31-08-2007, 22:11
not to say any names coughnorwichcough

I've found the Norwich store to be pretty damn good... fun "showmen-style" staff that don't take stuff too seriously, and just try to get as much laughter happening in the store as possible - to be honest, they've probably heard pretty much every complaint about GW imaginable, so I think it's got to the point where they'll just jokily give the default official response in an obscenely overenthusiastic manner just for the irony more than anything else.
Taking the official line to an extreme level is one of the few ways to cope with complaints that you can't do anything to counter.

So, that's why you'll get your crazy "No! White Dwarf is awesome and amazing and made of kittens and rainbows and chocolate!" responses.. turning it into a joke is just a way of remaining happy when faced with "27th customer this week that's complaining about something that you can't fix".

Anyone that's worked in retail will have a similar idea of how to deal with crap parts of the job that aren't going to change anytime soon. Humour is one of the better ways.

lack of stock like affordable blister packs (not the higher end 10 + ones) and just general lack of box sets altogether
Well, the store is really tiny.. not going to change anytime soon unless the italian restaurant next door closes down.

The Guy
31-08-2007, 23:21
I also go to norwich from time to time [ the rare occasion that I'm actually IN norwich as I live in Brandon which is a long way from..well..anywhere :(] But I've found that although the store is rather small the emplyees are helpful and good for a laugh. Wish they'd open a GW in thetford :( but that would probably get vandalised by all the losers.

rivers3162
01-09-2007, 00:42
Carlisle:
My old local, still pop back in from time to time. Friendly staff, not too pushy. Even had an in depth discussion with one staffer today about dislike for the new Chaos codex. Can get full of kids sometimes but staff always make time to come and chat about life in general and not to push me into buying new stuff. Also has a veterans gaming room upstairs which means older players can play games and paint in peace.

The only downside is that its next to the bus station so there's usually a crowd of surly looking chavs outside who sometimes shout abuse or just look like *****. Been in a couple of times when they've thrown stuff at the windows.

Glasgow City Centre:
Not been in that much but staff are very helpful and are happy to discuss all aspects of the game and give advice on modelling and conversions. Never been pushed into a sale yet.

Glasgow Braehead:
Creche. Tiny shop which gets packed with kids while their parents go shopping. Staff can sometimes seem a bit moody but I suppose this may be due to the aforementioned kids.

bungeeboy
02-09-2007, 10:57
portsmouth:
the only GW i actually go to, the staff aren't pushy, nor do they powergame too much,

whenever i come in with a mate, they always try and get a game going, unless they are doing a campaign/megabattle.

usually stocked, and if not, a direct order form is swiftly offered.

age range is usually young teens, but older people are usually by the painting table :)

one downiside is the size, when there's a game going on, it makes it very tricky to manouver around the shop :(

still. my rating is 8/10

chunk
02-09-2007, 13:13
I'll second that Pompey's a good store; although I'll probably go back there and find out they've not changed the cabinet displays (still) :)

Angelwing
02-09-2007, 14:15
Peterborough.

I go in for vet's night, and very occasional week day visits.
Staff are great, vet gamers are great.
It falls down slightly with a lack of push for camapigns. Eg Medusa v and Nemesis crown. Nothing in store at all bar the promo posters.

RevEv
03-09-2007, 22:40
Until recently I've been using Darlington and York. Both are excellent stores where I've got to know the staff very well - useful when I'm overseas and my wife wants to buy me a present to send in a welfare parcel.

The York guys even make me a cuppa when I go in, so I can truly feel at home.

Being well known means they also don't try the hard sell on me.

My nearest store now (ten minutes walk from the office) is Colchester. They are very good, but one of the staff needs to ease off the hard sell (I am not in the least interested in purchasing a huge box of tanks for apocalypse, especially having just brought the terrain set for WHFB).

As for Norwich - last time I visited I thought the staff were great and very welcoming of a complete stranger. They also had the nouse to not try the hard sell when they realised I was a vet.

The Dark One
03-09-2007, 23:17
Eastbournes great
regulars and staff are both great
sorry but i can't think of anything better to say at the moment, i'll proberly come back and add to this later

pookie
04-09-2007, 14:51
Leeds

great store ( like the newer one better than the last) staff aint too pushy, ive known a lot of them for years so i suppose they no me well enough not to try and sell me the 'latest shiny thing' dont do much gaming in there at the mo, but the tables are great, loads of spare scenery for your games avialable and the store painted minis are some of the best ive seen.

vargojones
04-09-2007, 20:16
Salisbury store is fantastic, not pushy at all. Great guys to talk to, always as k how i am what's going on, how my work is etc. The old store manager was a bit too pushy "ooh you must buy this". Sam on the other hand is an all round decent guy.

Swindon, bigger store, nice guys, but seem slightly less bothered "about me", probably cos i dont go in as much. But equally not pushy, except the store manager, but thats almost to be expected.

heldane
04-09-2007, 22:33
Eastbournes great
regulars and staff are both great
sorry but i can't think of anything better to say at the moment, i'll proberly come back and add to this later

Eastbourne is an ok store I suppose.

One of teh full timers has always seemed completely uselss to me, but thats my opinion.

As for gaming night, well I dont go, simply because it seems such a closed group of gamers and rather unwelcoming in my eyes. I have to pay travel to get there and I'd normally end up playing one of my own gaming group from home, so may as well save my money and play at home on a tuesday to be honest.

Just my opinions though.

Dan

skott4991
04-09-2007, 22:39
I like GW birmingham, good staff, good vet and a good time ;)

DarthSte
05-09-2007, 07:23
The York guys even make me a cuppa when I go in, so I can truly feel at home.

I concurr, The guys in York are excellent. I don't get a hard sell n there I get a comfortable chat and always seem to walk out with free stuff. But then I did bring them a stack of free stuff from "Free Comic Book Day" a few months ago.

They've never made me a cup of tea though...

BigRob
05-09-2007, 13:53
Salisbury was indeed a good store when I played there a few years ago. Friendly helpful staff, most of whom had been gaming there before they became staff.
Big fun battles, I remember one giant 40K game where people were confused by the row of basalisks facing of the table. They were actually shelling the table in another store, with details being telephoned back and forth.
The small children were a pain, but then, I was one of them once. They were encouraged by the staff because one of the mums was fine, all the staff enjoyed her visits to buy things for her kids especialy when she bent over the counter to sign the recipt. ;)
Most importantly though, McDs was just across the street :)

UltimateNagash
05-09-2007, 14:01
Same with Hemel, and Watford has one 2 mins away...

Mind you, Oxford has a pub and a cinema 1 minute away :D It's alllll gud ;)

Frodo34x
05-09-2007, 14:52
how the wd has not got worse it has got more focused with comments like, "you dont have to have a detailed battle report, you can go online and read thousands"
Things like these make me glad I have neither bought a WD nor stepped inside a GW store in a long time.

Art Is Resistance
07-09-2007, 20:53
I like GW birmingham, good staff, good vet and a good time ;)

Unless all the staff have been removed and replaced in the last six months I find this hard to believe - I've never met a bunch of more arrogant, self serving elitist berks in my life.

WhW - there's a group of staff who know what to do - knowledgable, likeable, sense of humour, bloody good painters and decent chaps to have a drink with.

Burton's a close second - the guys are always happy to have a chat and a game.

But Birmingham? meh.

colmarekblack
07-09-2007, 20:56
Unless all the staff have been removed and replaced in the last six months I find this hard to believe - I've never met a bunch of more arrogant, self serving elitist berks in my life.

Thats exactly what happened, John's gone (thank *** for that). And the new staff are very nice.

Thoth62
07-09-2007, 22:12
Winnipeg, Manitoba, Canada.

Great store, great staff. The original location, which closed about 1 month ago was a little lacking in space, but obviously the powers that be at Canada HQ decided that the store was a goodun. How do I know this? In 1 weeks time it is re-opening as a Battle-Bunker in a nearby location. Much more room, same staff.

I haven't been given any sales pitches in the last while, but I'll pin that to the fact that I'm a long time regular at the store, and am actually quite good friends with several of the staff. But from what I can tell, they aren't pushy, and they just seem genuinely excited about the hobby, which is what I think enables them to do so well. It doesn't hurt, of course, that Winnipeg has a thriving gaming community.

RevEv
07-09-2007, 22:26
They've never made me a cup of tea though...

Just turn up in a dog collar after leading a service at the Minster!!!

More tea vicar?

Hagraz
10-09-2007, 22:22
Swansea.

Great staff, not to pushy.
generaly well mannered, great to talk to
brilliant painters and terrain makers
a great knowledge of the hobby :)

Kulgur
11-09-2007, 03:57
Bedford's good, could do with a bit more space on vets night though, good knowledgable staff, excellent boards an painting

DarthSte
11-09-2007, 10:10
Just turn up in a dog collar after leading a service at the Minster!!!

More tea vicar?

I guess I could try the dog collar, think I may struggle being allowed to lead a service in the Minster... May have to look into that! :confused::D

Madfool2
11-09-2007, 17:30
Oxford, The staff are cool, so are the people that come down to game, I normally go down on a sunday. But it's all good.

GideonRavenor
11-09-2007, 19:31
My local store (Reading) is great - the staff are helpful without being too patronising and one can usually get a decent game of 40K or Fantasy (LOTR isn't often played, it seems).

The manager occasionally tries to sell me new products (and always White Dwarf, which I have a subscription to), but apart from that it's fine.

Eldarion
11-09-2007, 19:56
Kingston Upon Thames: Awesome store! friendly staff. but they keep changing which sucks. Also loads of new stupid rules which force gamers to buy products.

kyussinchains
11-09-2007, 20:21
leicester is never consistent, sometimes they'll talk your ear off, and show you some new bits (one guy let me have a look through his empire box set before it was released) other times they'll stare blankly at you, and other times ask a question, then just ignore your answer or wander off

moody sums it up

RevEv
11-09-2007, 20:24
I guess I could try the dog collar, think I may struggle being allowed to lead a service in the Minster... May have to look into that! :confused::D

All you need is 3 years training, 5 years in a parish, 7 months in a hot, dusty, dangerous location, and a bit of luck and maybe that will work.:angel:

Huw_Dawson
11-09-2007, 20:31
Preston is a good store, although I've only been in twice, and one was the 30th Anniversary which was packed and which I ticked off the manager in by being over enthusiastic...

- Huw

only joking...
11-09-2007, 20:36
Gmaes workshop Brent Cross is really a good store, although even though i am a regular the staff are still trying to sell me a white dwarf subscription or whatever, apart from that i like it. :)

W0lf
11-09-2007, 20:47
Hemel (Hemptstead): It's bigger than the one below, and the one I go to the most. Never had the staff be pushy, but found the staff slightly more helpful down below.

wow. who are you???

And yes my local is Hemel hempsetad.

ALL our store regulars/vets and staff are all great guys (exept one kid who just annoys everyone)

Really is a very good store.

St albans and watford are both close aswell but the staff at both seem over excited (from my experience) and the stores are like 1/3 the size. (watford is ridiculasly small)

Oh and every store in Hertfordshire hates st albans.. all their vets are 'not-very-cool-people'

chainer7
11-09-2007, 21:22
salisbury store is my local and the staff are friendly and helpful not to pushy sam is a great guy, althou they change staff quite alot and the store is a bit too small. I plan on getting into 40k while I am slowly building up my warhammer chaos fantasy army i shall be getting the new chaos space marines models so I can start going to vets night and the local club again both of which are very good :cool: while I build up my fantasy army :).

jimbobodoll
11-09-2007, 22:17
Oxford, The staff are cool, so are the people that come down to game, I normally go down on a sunday. But it's all good.

Really? The one time i went, there were some right tools in there and consequently i've never been back... Plus the manager seemed a bit strange and i think his wife was working there with him as well! :confused:

Compared to Bath GW, it sucked. Bath GW was a right laugh apart from a couple of odd types.... (wash that man for the love of gooooood!)

UltimateNagash
11-09-2007, 23:23
wow. who are you???
I'm Will :p You probably won't know me, as I don't go down often anyway (what with used to working on a Saturday) and now with me moving to Oxford on Sunday...
I collected Tyranids while there, and yes, Watford is ridiculously small... :eyebrows:
I might see you around sometime in October/November (my friend lives in Hemel, for now anyway...)
Catch ya later

MarksmanCypher
12-09-2007, 02:18
Miranda, NSW, Australia.

Been going there for years. There's your typical people - the older guys, me and my friends (aged 15-22) and the crowd of under 14s; the staff are really good and really friendly. If they see someone come into the store they'll go and talk to them. Hell, I've been in the hobby for 6 years and they STILL offer me advice on my painting and stuff, instead of just saying "you should know."

Only problem is our lack of 6'x4' tables - we have four 4'x4' tables but it's no good for playing larger games. Other than that - good store, good staff, and excellent lighting at the painting table!

DarthSte
12-09-2007, 08:40
All you need is 3 years training, 5 years in a parish, 7 months in a hot, dusty, dangerous location, and a bit of luck and maybe that will work.:angel:

Maybe I'll manage without that cup of tea then! Well done on your dedication to getting a good hot beverage for free though.. :D

ghost21
12-09-2007, 14:13
Birmingham I find is the complete opposite they dont persue people across the shop, they just ask if they can help them if no then the staff go back to what their doing.

but i have to say that they have litraly nothing im after, and somtimes i do get followed around the store by eager staff members, not all of them just the odd 1 (only if hes new tho tbh)

ive been in many times to buy specific figures only to come out having bought nothing , tbh i feel gw is lousing sight of who they were, birmingham is also pokey compared to there old store. ooh were in the bullring .

too small and no stock is my answer to this question

colmarekblack
12-09-2007, 19:38
but i have to say that they have litraly nothing im after, and somtimes i do get followed around the store by eager staff members, not all of them just the odd 1 (only if hes new tho tbh)

ive been in many times to buy specific figures only to come out having bought nothing , tbh i feel gw is lousing sight of who they were, birmingham is also pokey compared to there old store. ooh were in the bullring .

too small and no stock is my answer to this question

They had changed the layout of the shelves last time I was there. They have very few blisters, with boxed sets taking up most of the room.

Although on the plus side they have two tables ready for gaming rather than having three for intros and one with a Skaven vs Chaos game.

skott4991
14-09-2007, 09:28
Thats exactly what happened, John's gone (thank *** for that). And the new staff are very nice.

Its true the only staff member from back them would be Brett.

I liked John.

leeoaks
18-09-2007, 19:37
what is exeter like??

Rossco
18-09-2007, 21:12
My local is Torquay, despite being fairly small they usually have quite a good mix of everything as stock goes, the staff are excellent, the manager Richard has even on occasion raided his own bits box to help me out ! I have had cups of tea lovingly prepared for me (ta Marcus !) and there's generally a good atmosphere.
I used to use pompey alot and agree that it is a good store too, are Dan and Ed still about ? top blokes !

Dragonlover
19-09-2007, 00:15
Southends pretty good, the staff there are decent although the manager takes the whole thing a bit too seriously I feel. The guys on a Tursday night are welcoming as well, I only just started playing again so I've only been down twice, but there's no elitism or anything.

Since I always get my BL stuff from there I sometimes get books a week early if I go in when it's quiet and they've turned up, and the staff are nearly always up for a chat, especially if you go in there late in the day once they've done all the work.

Dragonlover

Mudir Nahya
20-09-2007, 22:24
Gloucester's good. Staff are nice and friendly, allways ready for a chat, and I haven't been offered an intro game by an over-enthusiastic key-staffer for about 6 months! Good quality of painting and converting too.

IJW
21-09-2007, 00:41
what is exeter like??
A lot of the staff (including the manager) changed recently, so it's going through a few upheavals. But on the whole, pretty good.
Vet's night (now on a Tuesday and ends at 9pm) tends to be packed out, with 1-2 WFB games and 4-6 40k games at any one time.

colmarekblack
21-09-2007, 02:53
Its true the only staff member from back them would be Brett.

I liked John.

Good god last time I saw Brett was at Nottingham, at a tourney.

Don't think John liked me anyways

*Pines for the days of Big shoes and Tappers (former Birmingham staff members)*

Aelyn
21-09-2007, 11:51
Frankly I'm kinda glad John's gone; he was an OK guy and I imagine he'd make an excellent player for a pizza-and-gaming day, but he was rather elitist - he seemed to like it when people acted the way he did, and hated people challenging anything.

He was an OK guy, but not someone who made great staff (in my opinion)

By the way, guys, I'm down there tomorrow (finally!) so what's going on?

freddythebig
22-09-2007, 13:04
Over the past 12 months or so I have actually been put off giong into my local GW due to over pushy sales guys trying to talk me into buying stuff that I do not want.
I am a 40+ old guy who knows his own mind when it comes to what I want to buy and I take offence at the patronising way that I am told that I 'need' the latest flavour of the month.
Therefore I have started to avoid my local shop and look on t'internet now instead.

Wyatt
22-09-2007, 15:34
Wolverhampton

-I don't go in much, but the staff are uber friendly (though one guy (John?) has now moved to Merry Hill I think). There always seems to be kids. Lots of kids. Not that that's a bad thing...

Merry Hill

-The guys here are uber friendly (a little too friendly, one of them wouldn't let my sis' go without signing up for a newcomers game thing :))... John (I think) from Wolvo moved there (I presume, he served me at the tills the other week), and my sister's boyfriend works there now.

andyfair
24-09-2007, 15:01
My son got me into the hobby earlier this year after much resistance from myself and I am now one of the 40 year old nooobs to the hobby. I wish a lot of the other parents weren't so boring and realised what an excellent and escapist hobby this is. Anyway, we (as a family) have done a bit of a tour of GW stores this year and hope to count off a few more before the year is out.

Local store is Reading. A sizeable and interesting team full of characters. Always sure of a good story and chat when in the store. However if anything they've not grabbed me enough. I am an enthusiastic new hobbyist with a reasonable disposable income but struggling to find people over 15 to play with and coach me through the game. They could have had hundreds of out of me so far, so I couldn't say they were too pushy.

Other stores visited this year ;

Blackpool – What a great (but small store). The guy who works there with the bright orange hair is great fun as are the local kids that hang out in there.

Newport – Most recently visited. Wow – they have a hidden games bunker! Staff were a little over pushy sales wise but good fun nonetheless.

Basingstoke – Very small but quite busy when we went. Maybe the least engaging of all the staff but not bad.

Windsor – Had a brilliant Sunday afternoon there a couple of months ago chatting to the manager. However he has now moved to Oxford St, London so not sure of what the store will be like now as he was definitely the biggest personality there.

Warhammer World – A great store within the HQ. Staff were happy to chat about their gaming exploits & had a great day there.

That's it so far, I am sure more to come!

CasperTheGhost
24-09-2007, 19:58
My local store is Sutton Coldfield and when i started going there it was great, fun, i made loads of new friends and the staff were nice and never tried to sell anything to me that i didn't like. They even gave me sneak peeks of the up coming models and books that were soon to be released. Now after 2 years the staff has changed, the rules have got worst and it turned it lets let the little kids run about and forget the regulars. I have lost intrest because of the way the store has, the staff in general (it doesn't help that i want to beat the hell out of one of the staff) and all manner of things. GW has nearly driven me out of their own hobby and so i'm not there best friend at the moment.

The thing is the amount of money i have spent over my years i think that i should be treated with more respect by the company i was very loyal to. I mean i could always take my money else where.

Rant over

CasperTheFriendlyGhost