PDA

View Full Version : Ork and Nids to the death??

123DeMaere
31-08-2007, 03:00
In the Tyranid codex it clearly states the Nids and Ork only recently discovered each other and they have loved killing each other since. The Orks loving tyranids for not being very shooting-based (more boys get into the fight) and the Tyranids fighting a race of almost nothing but bio-mass(to create new Tyranids). My question is how should this change their fluff?? Codex:Orks is coming out in Jan. and (from the rumours at least) I think the new rules reflex battling Nids.

New all mega-powered armour, power-fist squad(Hive tyrants and cari. hunters)

Loss of choppa but F.C U.S.R ( you'll new be faster then a genestealer or slower then a cari so you should make sure you at least hit them right)

Orks going down in base cost(fewer battle with millions dying to long range artillery so more get to the enemy)

Many of the changes are just because they needed alittle boost but ANYWAY, the point of this thread is to ask how do you think the Orks and Nids battles should be shown in the Ork Or the Tyranid codex? Personally I think they should have the perfered enemy U.S.R, it's better for the Orks (and I even play Nids). I just think it makes to much sense fluff-wise (they ARE each others perfered enemy). Thoughts??

Horus38
31-08-2007, 04:30
Uh, I think you need to read a little more of the codex:

"In the Tyranid codex it clearly states the Nids and Ork only recently discovered each other and they have loved killing each other since."

The first part isn't really true: I'm sure orks have encountered Tyranid splinter fleets from earlier hive fleets. Also the Tyranid codex refers only to a large spur of the encroaching hive fleet (can't remember which one) being diverted by Inquisitor Kryptmans efforts into one of the Ork Empires in that quadrant.

This has led to the truth of your statement as they certainly love killing each other. However, it should be made very clear that although this is a sizable ork empire (made up of several systems I believe) it is still only a fraction of a fraction of the entire Ork Empire which sprawls from one end of the galaxy to the other in its own green orky way.

Your suggestions of a themed ork codex around this event is somewhat presumptuous as neither the ork or the Tyranid race has all their chips in on this war. There are many other ork waaghs and hive fleets which will be unaffected by the battles being fought between the two in this area.

Furthermore the fluff really doens't affect how the army is changing in a rules/mechanics sense for any 40k or fantasy army (I'm sure there are individual examples of this being true, but it is by no means an apparant rule of thumb).

However, I would say if you wanted to make a themed army around this concept more power to you. I too noticed the fluff you mentioned and it sounded very exciting as the Tyranids absorb tons of Ork biomass and assault creatures (aka carnifexes and the like) are being seen of unprecedented size. This will be an interesting fluff vein that I hope GW continues to elaborate upon.

Drogmir
31-08-2007, 05:07
I think the Orks love to fight Guard cause they're sorta matched to each other's opposite.

You have millions of guys running around half of them are trying to shoot down the other half running at them.

But that's just MHO

Dalenator
31-08-2007, 11:31
I heard that (from somewhere on this forum) Tyranids are not to good at using harvested biomass from orks as after the 4th re-use of the Biomass the Ork DNA re-instates itself and makes some Orks in the middle of a hive ship.

As for the Tyranids attacking the Ork empire. There are only three possible out comes. 1) Tyranids win, New Ork-augmented Tyranids.
2) Orks win, The Orks learn new tricks to kill Tyranids.
3) At the last moment an Exterminatus is applied to the planet and Orks and Tyranids lose.

Horus38
31-08-2007, 13:59
I heard that (from somewhere on this forum) Tyranids are not to good at using harvested biomass from orks as after the 4th re-use of the Biomass the Ork DNA re-instates itself and makes some Orks in the middle of a hive ship.

I have never heard of anything like this before (definatly not in any codex to be sure) and I'm pretty sure it's false.

"I think the Orks love to fight Guard cause they're sorta matched to each other's opposite."

Orks actually consider most human opponents weak and inferior. One of the notable exceptions is Ghazghulls respect for Yarricks prowess. From what I've seen the Orks preferred opponent is Space Marines as they are preceived as the best the Imperium can offer them for a challenge.

Easy E
31-08-2007, 15:51

I think you are taking Genestealer reproduction from 1st edition and applying it to all Tyranids.

In 1st edition, a genestealer would infect the host race. That infected person will reproduce and create a hybrid, when the Hybrid reproduced it would create a hybrid that looked more like the original alien, when that one reproduced it would creeate a hybrid that looked like the original species, and when that hybrid reproduced they would raise a purebred genestealer.

Now days it is up for debate whether genestealers still have this capacity, if certain vanguard stealers do, or they all do. An additional concern is how genestealers genetic infetion affects non-human DNA, especially the heavily fungal ork.

Ktotwf
31-08-2007, 16:04
I hope, when it is all said and done, that the Orks win the battle ongoing between the 'Nids and Orks, because the Orks are in dire need of some real street cred at this point.

That, and I am tired of only the Tyranids and Necrons getting any hype.

Khaine's Messenger
31-08-2007, 17:04
My question is how should this change their fluff??

I doubt it will "change" their background. However, I would like very much for the conflict between the Orks and Hive Fleet Leviathan to not be swept under the rug as an isolated, regional affair; initial Imperial investigations suggested that the Hive Fleets entering Ork space could cause mass migrations of Orks into Imperial space, causing more widespread anarchy and chaos. For the Imperium, pretty much every solution is a lose/lose scenario, and the short term losses of Kryptmann's gambit should be made clear.

Also important to remember is the Green Krusade (or was it Croosade? Orks aren't the best spellers)...the conquest of the forge world re-christened "Moredakka" may just as well have an impact on the background...or not.

New all mega-powered armour, power-fist squad(Hive tyrants and cari. hunters)

The pessimist might say that this is more a port from Dawn of War than a background development.

the point of this thread is to ask how do you think the Orks and Nids battles should be shown in the Ork Or the Tyranid codex?

A shakeup in their special characters list would be sufficient, I think.

fritsk
31-08-2007, 17:13
You must admit that there is some orkishness to this biovore:
http://uk.games-workshop.com/storefront/store.uk?do=Individual&code=99060106036&orignav=9

Ktotwf
31-08-2007, 17:14
I would bust a nut over this whole idea simply to have SOME plotline going where it isn't just "X Alien Race attacks the Imperium and is defeated"

A sort of galaxy wide war of extermination between the Nids and Orks would be frikkin sweet.