PDA

View Full Version : Best guitarist of all time (poll)

jimbob78
27-08-2005, 12:01
Who do you think is or was the greatest rock guitarist of all time?

vforvenator
27-08-2005, 14:27
I voted Jimi Hendrix, becuase there is no Other category - Joey Santiago from the Pixies is my one favourite ever guitarist.
Why has no-one posted here either? Odd.
Oop - just saw the thread below.

Sojourner
27-08-2005, 14:57
I saw the Pixies last night.

I'd never heard them before, but they rock.

Dirty Fingers
27-08-2005, 18:39
How in God's name is Yngwie J. Malmsteen, innovator of the neo-classical guitar, not on this list, and yet somehow the technical virtuoso that is Slash makes it on?

My vote goes to Yngwie, even though he's not on this poll. Unleash the Fury!

BorisGT
27-08-2005, 19:44
How in God's name is Yngwie J. Malmsteen, innovator of the neo-classical guitar, not on this list, and yet somehow the technical virtuoso that is Slash makes it on?

My vote goes to Yngwie, even though he's not on this poll. Unleash the Fury!

Quoted for truth.

And to those who voted Hendrix:

He was influencial, not good.

Brother Smith
27-08-2005, 20:16
There needs to be waaay more options on that poll before I vote...

Strangelove
27-08-2005, 21:04
This isn't a poll of the best guitarists of all time, it's a poll of guitarists you like.

Doing some research on the subject before posting makes you look like less of a jackass.

I'd vote for either Robbie Krieger or (more likely) Les Paul, but you somehow excluded both from your list.

Xinithorp
27-08-2005, 21:55
There have been way too many to have one be called the best. They're all good in their own way.
Jimi Hendrix is good, but you people need to expand your horizons. Don't just pick him because Rolling Stone (or whoever) chose him.

Why isn't B.B. King on here?

This is why this cannot be a poll. There are simply too many and it's hard to choose one.

I don't intend to vote.

Wiseman
28-08-2005, 13:52
satriani, i just love his music

Vanus
28-08-2005, 19:36
Honestly, can't vote in the poll. Too many really good guitarists left out. BB King, as was mentioned, Jimmy Page (Led Zepplin), Twiggy Remeriaz, to name a few.

Also, I don't think there really can be one single "best" player of all time. To say so would mean that person can play every single style of guitar there is (which there's quite a lot) better than anyone else, which, is probably impossible for any mortal.

Wiseman
29-08-2005, 04:26
well to learn every single style of guitar would take 15 years, if you spent 1 second on each one!!!! so yeh it is a bit hard to name just one

rammo_73
30-08-2005, 13:40
I think that Eddie VanHallen is definatly the best ever, hands down. Hendrix was good though. People who voted Hendrix (I belive) just jump on the stoner band wagon for a ride.

Turst me, I've seen Eddie in acion. I went to a reunion concert last year and he did a45 min guitar solo that blew my mind. He even played the guitar with a power drill...AN F-ING POWER DRILL!!! If you think that isn't greatness please kill yourself now.

jimbob78
31-08-2005, 16:11
Sorry for the lack of options guys. There are only 10 possible choices. I also kicked myself for not including page.

IAMPHONE
31-08-2005, 16:18
Hendrix is probably the best, but my favourite is probably Pete Townshend mainly for his style, although in technical ability he probably isn't the best. Jeff Beck should probably also have been included.