PDA

View Full Version : What writers does GW draw from?

scratchbuilt
31-08-2007, 10:46
Well, what writers and books does GW get their ideas for the background from, because I want to read them.

I've nearly finished the Micheal Moorcock novel 'Dancers at the end of time' but frankly don't see how it relates, and not that blown away, its soso but just soso.

Chilltouch
31-08-2007, 12:14
Everywhere.
Everything.

Starship Troopers.
The Dune Series.
The Bible.

Wherever you look, GW has taken some information or concepts and incorperated them in its background.

Crazy Tom
31-08-2007, 12:16
Also interesting to read is 'Exultant' by Stephen Baxter. Although he did actually write stuff for GW so I guess that doesn't count so much. Still, it's interesting to see the similarities between his humanity and WH40K humanity.

Kage2020
31-08-2007, 12:41
Everywhere.
Everything.
Pretty much.

/Kage

Jim
31-08-2007, 13:12
Everywhere.
Everything.

Starship Troopers.
The Dune Series.
The Bible.

Wherever you look, GW has taken some information or concepts and incorperated them in its background.

Imperial Guard and Tyranids were around before Starship Troopers....;)

Jim

TheLionReturns
31-08-2007, 13:25
The Dune Series influences the notion of the God Emperor and the great crusade. They are also a seriously good read and well worth the time and effort, if a bit heavy at times. As has been said though, GW draws inspiration from so many sources, it seems almost any sci-fi or fantasy book I read I can find some similarities to the GW universes.

de Selby
31-08-2007, 13:27
I imagine that Chilltouch was thinking of the Heinlein novel, not the film.

Here's one I haven't seen mentioned: The mote in God's eye by Larry Niven and Jerry Pournelle.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Mote_in_God's_Eye

I read it recently, and the small empire of caste-based high tech aliens with short lifespans and a grim secret history of internecine warfare are dead ringers for the tau. The human empire has certain similarities to the Imperium too.

precinctomega
31-08-2007, 13:45
Imperial Guard and Tyranids were around before Starship Troopers....

Really? In 1959? When Games workshop was only founded in 1975? That's clever...

The Morcock influence came mostly from the Elrik novels that were among the first to see "Chaos" as the force against which humanity struggles, rather than "evil". Although Dancers and its sister novels do seem to have latterly had an influence on the development of the Eldar.

R.

Jedi152
31-08-2007, 14:14
Damn. I wanted to be first to comment on that!

The majority of races were ported from fantasy when 40k was invented, and the background developed from there. And films are as much influences as books as well.

scratchbuilt
31-08-2007, 16:02
Well obviously Alien = Genestealers, Arnold = Necrons, but basically I was thinking about chaos, space marines, inquisition and the imperium, which I consider the deepest and most interesting parts of GW's background (though the dark future stuff thats been ditched was good too). I can sort of see the Necron - Cathulu link, but its badly done and doesn't really compare to lovecraft.

I'm scared of Dune, it looks like it's made up of a gazillion really thick books.

Will order some of the books mentioned.

Stella Cadente
31-08-2007, 16:10
i think a better question would be what writers DON'T they draw from

I think most 40k stuff, was nicked...errr Influenced, by Judge dread comics and similar

Ktotwf
31-08-2007, 16:15
I think Dune and Micheal Moorcock are probably the two biggest influences of all.

Dune was really finishing up its main run at about the time WH40k started, and you can just feel its influence dripping over every aspect of 40k.

The Space Marines are very much like the Mobile Infantry of Heinlein's book.

ryng_sting
31-08-2007, 18:22
Well, what writers and books does GW get their ideas for the background from, because I want to read them.

I've nearly finished the Micheal Moorcock novel 'Dancers at the end of time' but frankly don't see how it relates, and not that blown away, its soso but just soso.

Everything from Njal's Saga to Judge Dredd.

Supremearchmarshal
31-08-2007, 19:54
Another bit they almost exactly copied from Dune is the Navigators.
Land Speeders come from Judge Dredd.
Space Marines are knights first and foremost - even their original profile was the same as that of a fantasy knight. But yeah, some of their tactics are like Starship Trooper mobile infantry.
The Bloodthirster is heavily influenced by the Balrog. The way Orks speak is also obviously based on LotR.
The Horus Heresy is the classic war in heaven common to most mythologies and religions.
The 2nd war for armageddon is based on Hitler's invasion of the USSR (the old Ghazghkull even had a swastika-like symbol on his banner).
The C'tan are based on the Cthulhu mythos (even the name Star Vampire is used). The Genestealer Cult is based on Deep One cults. Also Squiggoth is likely a pun on Shoggoth.
The old Sensei were based on Jedi.
Also a big inspiration for the old 40k stuff was Mad Max (the Rogue Trader rulebook illustrations in particular, especially the Squats).
Geiger's artwork is also an obvious influence on GW artwork (particularly the pics of various AdMech people)
etc. etc. - yep it's pretty hard to find something that didn't make it into 40k!