PDA

View Full Version : Horus' hair

Captain Stern
31-08-2007, 15:36
Was Horus always bald? Every picture of him I've seen have been of him post heresy, and in these he's always depicted with no hair. Did he have hair before he rebelled? I've read the first 4 HH books and I don't recall the issue being addressed.

Idaan
31-08-2007, 15:45
Well, Marines from his Legion were supposed to be very similar-looking to him, and I recall some of them with hair. And Abaddon surely has a very excessive hairdress for one. ;)

Rockerfella
31-08-2007, 15:49
As far as the Heresy books are concerend, Horus wears his hair in a frankly ludicrous top knott. So, he's shaved all round the backs and the sides, and has hair at the top of his skull braided and topnotted.

Apparently.

Captain Stern
31-08-2007, 15:53
I don't remember that from the first 4 books. Was that mentioned in the subsequent one/s?

Are you sure you haven't got him confused with Abaddon?

Messiah
31-08-2007, 15:56
Yes, thats Abaddon, Horus has long, blonde hair according to "False Gods".

(Though I seem to remember he had long dark hair in the previous book, but I probably remember wrong..)

Rockerfella
31-08-2007, 16:02
Naaah, i'm pretty sure it was Horus. I don't remember him having long blonde hair. Abaddon has a top knott, but so does Aximand because he looks so much like him.

Am i UTTERLY wrong here? If so, that means each time i've been picturing Horus in my mind, its been completley wrong. Hahahhahahaaa!!!

Astner
31-08-2007, 16:27
Horus is the guy to the left I think :P

http://library.galciv2.com/mvlib/ss/Fullview_emperor-horus.jpg

Rockerfella
31-08-2007, 16:31
I would say thats an accurate statement. *nods* :P

Having said that, in the heresy book, Sanguinius has BLACK hair. Now that I AM sure of.

Captain Stern
31-08-2007, 16:39
Yeh I noticed that too. I think I might even prefer Sanguinius with black hair now that I think about it. If it was up to me I think I'd have Horus with long black hair too like his brother. I like the idea that they looked similar.

Ktotwf
31-08-2007, 16:41
It always strikes me how much taller Horus was than the Emperor in that picture.

Rockerfella
31-08-2007, 16:45
I think they're stood on slightly different levels. The Emperor is at his full height, but on the fourth step from the top, his leg extended to show this.

Horus is stood both feet on the middle 'landing' as such.

Captain Stern
31-08-2007, 16:49
:eyebrows:

Ktotwf
31-08-2007, 16:50
I think he still would barely come up to Horus' shoulder.

Rockerfella
31-08-2007, 16:52
That dosen't tell us much really, as Horus's own head dosen't come up to his OWN shoulder.....

The pic is terribly out of proportion.

Supremearchmarshal
31-08-2007, 20:19
That dosen't tell us much really, as Horus's own head dosen't come up to his OWN shoulder.....

Erm... take a look at a Terminator model and you'll see that they're the same...

Anyway, the original Bill King story described as Sanguinius having blond hair, while Dorn's was black. Nothing about Horus. I do think though that the Emperor originally had white armour.

Mechanicus
31-08-2007, 20:22
Sanguinius' black hair could easily have been in mourning for his lost men - if you remember there were attendants trying to put make up of mourning on him at the time - maybe they had already dyed his hair.

Just thinking out loud.

The Guy
31-08-2007, 20:29
Maybe he had dreadlocks? :p or a tash? :p But the stress of having the 4 major powers inside him made him lose it all? Oh well never read any of the novels so I can't really comment. But I think long Black hair would have suited him the best. Nothing fancy like abadon because that looks plain silly :rolleyes:

ThousandPlateaus
31-08-2007, 22:01
Really bizarre thread!

Captain Stern
31-08-2007, 22:20
I wanted to know because I've been drawing a picture of him. I ended up giving him long black hair after all (but that could change). I drew one of Magnus last week and gave him a kind of half circle shaped hair-style. I think it looks good but I'm worried people will automatically think "Centari!" :(

dr.oetk3r
31-08-2007, 22:21
lol, it took Abbaddon 10,000 years to grow his hair to where it is today. I think he should become a demon prince just for that achievement.

The_Patriot
31-08-2007, 22:52
lol, it took Abbaddon 10,000 years to grow his hair to where it is today. I think he should become a demon prince just for that achievement.

He used Rogain...

Quentin
31-08-2007, 23:30
Forgive my ignorance, but why do Horus and Sanguinus have those red "Eye" ornaments on thier armour? Are they supposed to be symbols of a Primarch?

And are all of those other Marines Horus's?

Ward.
01-09-2007, 02:18
Well I don't know exactly, but if you look at Sanguinus, you'll notice that one end of the "eye" is smaller then the other.
like the blood angels chapter symbol and Horus's is the same all the way, sort of like the eye of terror, while the timeline doesn't add up, the artist could have just thrown them in there because they look good.

Wazzahamma
01-09-2007, 06:47
From the novels, I gather that:

Horus: Shaven bald, though probably dark haired like most of his 'sons'
Angron: Shaven bald
Vulkan: Shaven bald
Ferrus: Shaven bald
Dorn: White
Fulgrim: White
Sanguinnius: Black
Corax: Black

Unsure about Mortarion.

ThousandPlateaus
01-09-2007, 09:49
I'd always though Sanginius was blonde and thoroughly Aryan - like a classic Byzantine Angel: in fact, I'm sure he is in the Emperor vs. Horus tale in The Lost and the Damned.

Brother Enok
01-09-2007, 09:51
Quentin, that eye is the all seeing eye of the Emporer. The sighted eagle also puts emphasis on the eye as it symbolisis looking to the future with a critical and scientific mind.

Rockerfella
01-09-2007, 14:10
From the novels, I gather that:

Horus: Shaven bald, though probably dark haired like most of his 'sons'
Angron: Shaven bald
Vulkan: Shaven bald
Ferrus: Shaven bald
Dorn: White
Fulgrim: White
Sanguinnius: Black
Corax: Black

Unsure about Mortarion.

Mortarion has very closely cropped or shaved hair if i remember rightly, and after readign Fulgrim, Ferrus is described as having short, black hair. *nods*

reds8n
01-09-2007, 14:22
Forgive my ignorance, but why do Horus and Sanguinus have those red "Eye" ornaments on thier armour? Are they supposed to be symbols of a Primarch?

And are all of those other Marines Horus's?

I think the symbol on Sanguinus is supposed to be a ,slightly, modified version of the Blood Angels Legion symbol.

RedStompa
01-09-2007, 15:17
Well I don't know exactly, but if you look at Sanguinus, you'll notice that one end of the "eye" is smaller then the other.
like the blood angels chapter symbol and Horus's is the same all the way, sort of like the eye of terror, while the timeline doesn't add up, the artist could have just thrown them in there because they look good

NO.

Its a blooddrop on Sanguinus. He was the Primarch of the Blood angels.

Horus was essentially the Primarch of the Luna Wolves, which had a wolf symbol, he changed his chapter name and iconograpy to 'Sea Green, with an Eye"

and his chapter was named "Sons of Horus" due to their similarity to him.

of course that name was changed again to the Black Legion with the sys of Horus in the front and the 8 pointed star in the back.

reds8n
01-09-2007, 15:29
I think the renaming was more an honorific act in recognition of their and Horus' achievements rather than "because they looked like him" ;).

The visions series puts forth the idea the Eye symbol that they adopted was originally a symbol from the Serpent lodge on Davin where he was saved/damned forever, and Horus adopted it as a sign of acknowledgement of both their efforts and his new allegiances.

I figure it kind of represents his new vision of things, as in tis is where his eyes where opened to the truth.

khorne666
01-09-2007, 20:12
I seem to remember that pre heresy he and the emporer both had, shoulder length, blonde hair (like sangius in the photo) and post heresy it was somehow black and cool.

kryptt
09-09-2007, 04:01
Horus is the guy to the left I think :P

http://library.galciv2.com/mvlib/ss/Fullview_emperor-horus.jpg

Is there a place I can find this pic without the writing on the lower left hand?

Vashanesh
09-09-2007, 04:34
its in the horus heresy artbooks and i think they made a poster of it too

Ward.
09-09-2007, 08:44
@kryptt: Grab yourself photo shop and use the "healing brush" tool to remove it.

kryptt
10-09-2007, 12:30
@kryptt: Grab yourself photo shop and use the "healing brush" tool to remove it.

Thanks I'll try that.:)

Nazguire
11-09-2007, 02:22
The 'Eye' symbol that everyone is talking about was originally the 'Eye of Terra', the symbol of the Emperor forever watching over them. Horus adopted it in to his Sons of Horus iconography, calling it the 'Eye of Horus'.

bobert the great clen one
17-09-2007, 13:06
going back to the 'fight' picture of horus vs the big E what legion are those marines

Hellbore
17-09-2007, 13:17
i think they're meant to be custodes as per the eagle and know real chapter badge
could just as easily be non-marines/super-marines, whatever

Sephiroth
17-09-2007, 13:18
I think he still would barely come up to Horus' shoulder.

Horus is wearing Terminator armour. The Emperor is in power armour.

Nazguire
17-09-2007, 13:30
going back to the 'fight' picture of horus vs the big E what legion are those marines

On the left are the Sons of Horus. On the right are Legio Custodes.

Erebus26
17-09-2007, 13:31
i think they're meant to be custodes as per the eagle and know real chapter badge
could just as easily be non-marines/super-marines, whatever

The guys with the Emperor are the Custodes as they followed the Emperor everywhere. The guys with Horus are his bodyguard.

bobert the great clen one
17-09-2007, 13:38
i thought custodies wear gold armour and carry bolter halberds ?

Admiral Koppenflak
17-09-2007, 13:48
I hate to go all Catholic here...

But, Purely for the sake of common sense... Let us momentarily consider that it's been 2000 years since Christ died. We still really have no freaking idea what the heck Jesus looked like - we have the popular theory of the white gentile with long, soft brown hair and a well trimmed beard... But we still don't exactly have a photo of the man!

Now I point out that as of the "present time" in 40k, it's been *10,000 years* since the heresy, and on top of that, the Imperium is in the biggest dark age of all history. Is any one *really* surprised that there is contradiction on what the primarchs looked like? Hell, most people in the imperium don't even know what the Emperor looks like, as only the Legio Custodes are permitted to be in his presence!

Again, I profusely apologise for using a religous example (I am a devout Catholic and all...) and hope I've not inadvertantly offended anyone. but historically, the idea that they simply "got it wrong" is not without precedent.