PDA

View Full Version : 1000 Point Chaos Undivided

Nargrakhan
31-08-2007, 15:55
I'm looking for a bit of advice on a new army I'm planning to begin purchase and assembly of this weekend. The army is set for 1000 points with no plans for expansion (it will be my main army for that point range). Ordinarily I play 2000 point battles and use heavily themed forces for the sheer fluff - my Chaos main has almost 60 daemonettes, my Wood Elf alternate has has 80 dryads but this is being more tailored for "realistic" play... i.e. win more than lose. :p

However my bias and habits from playing "unique" formations probably clouds my judgment. Hence asking for advise. :)

997 of 1000 points 50 models 3 power dice 3 dispel dice

1 Exalted Champion (138 points)
- Sword of Battle
- Shield and Chaos Steed

1 Chaos Sorcerer (110 points)
- Dispel Scroll

4 Chosen Chaos Knights (255 points)
- Full Command
- War Banner
+ accompanied by Exalted Champion

14 Chaos Warriors (254 points)
- Halberds
- Full Command
+ accompanied by Chaos Sorcerer

15 Chaos Marauders (120 points)
- Light Armour, Shields
- Chieftan, Musician

15 Chaos Marauders (120 points)
- Light Armour, Shields
- Chieftan, Musician

Here's my reasoning for the selection: Champion and Knights w/ War Banner for a deadly mobile offense. The Sorcerer and Warriors are the core of my army for when the forces collide, with the twin Marauder units as meat grinder auxiliaries. Halberds are for making maximum use of the warrior's higher than normal strength and initiative. Shields and light armour on the Marauders to give them survivability; no standard bearer due to the potential points if it's captured. Sorcerer is for anti-wiz purpose - using Lore of Fire, so Fireball seems most likely; but getting the Flaming Sword would be pure gravy.

So does it sound worthy? There's always the option of dropping the halberds and getting shields for the warriors so they have better defenses... and perhaps using the points gained to get standard bearers for the marauders after all.

I'm also thinking that 1 dispel scroll and 3 dispel dice should be enough to handle an enemy wizard until the Knights can somehow handle it.

RipFlag
01-09-2007, 00:54
I have had some struggles with my 1000 pts chaos army as well, i have this penchant for putting in an Exalted daemon..... any ways,

I think that you might want to increase your marauders up to units of 20, this may come at the cost of not having chosen knights, or less warriors, but i think you will find that the 2 extra CR's points worth it. If you have 20, you will have that extra rank and usually outnumber.
Also if you do play against any armies with cannons, your knights will in all likely hood suffer quite a bit, i would almost throw in a unit of dogs for screening, in those situations, or as flankers.

Holy Crap! Manticores!
01-09-2007, 15:01
The Chosen and Exalted seem a bit excessive at 1000 pts. Regular Knights and an Aspiring Champ would be so much more points-effective. You could spend the points to buff up your Marauder units.

Nargrakhan
01-09-2007, 19:24
Thanks for the suggestions guys: I really appreciate it. :)

I'll go ahead and demote the general to an Aspiring and remove the Chosen status from the Knights for the units of 20 Marauders as told.

Gonna leave for the store and get those 40 Marauders - and probably some more paint too. :p

Nargrakhan
22-09-2007, 02:31
Having assembled said army, and playing through a few trails at the local hobby store, I wanna give thanks once again for the help. The beefier Marauder units were waaaaay more helpful than the Chaos Warriors. In fact, I retailored the army to do without them, because of how useless they tended to be in most encounters. :)

999 of 1000 points – 50 models – 4 power dice – 4 dispel dice

1 Aspiring Champion (116 points)
- Sword of Battle
- Chaos Steed

1 Chaos Sorcerer (85 points)

1 Chaos Sorcerer (85 points)

4 Chaos Knights (182 points)
- Full Command
+ accompanied by Aspiring Champion

5 Chaos Knights (215 points)
- Full Command

19 Chaos Marauders (158 points)
- Light Armour, Shields
- Full Command

- Light Armour, Shields
- Full Command

Only problem is... I have all these half painted Chaos Warriors I don't need anymore. :p

Putty
22-09-2007, 03:33
oh, dun chuck away your warriors.

not only the models rock, but keep them just in case when the army book gets a revamp, they get better ;)

I got 65 warriors myself... and i intend to proxy them as marauders until i get the real thing xD

bigbear bailey
22-09-2007, 08:25
Look even if the warriors "suck" (as everyone else says) I would keep them in the list. I am so sick of seeing everyone chaos list looking the same... It's always 2 blocks of Marauders and then two units of knights and a beast man screen.... BORING!!!

Try Marauder horse men w/ flails as they will do the same thing as chaos warriors when they hit the flank and they have better movement. Use the chaos warriors in a unit of 3 ranks of 5 with hand weapon and shield... Then the bsb to join them with the war banner in the unit... This unit makes a great anvil unit for the marauder horsemen and the marauder blocks...

Something to think about other then just trashing the bad ass warriors...

T'char the mighty
22-09-2007, 10:37
In my opinion, the extra 20 points for the exalted champ is worth it, so i wud remove 4 marauders from each of the 2 units, to upgrade to an exalted, and to switch blade of battle for blade of blood, because of the chance to get 4 wounds on a hero, meaning it shoudl last a little longer.

Nargrakhan
04-01-2008, 18:20
It's been a long while since I made this post, but I thought I'd update it to show how my current 1000 point army looks these days... if only to reveal the evolution of everything due to the battles I've faced and certain personal biases for units.

And of course side advice is always good. ;)

995 of 1000 points – 55 models – 4 power dice – 3 dispel dice

1 Exalted Champion (131 points)
- Great Weapon, Shield
- Helm of Many Eyes

1 Aspiring Champion (138 points)
- Shield
- Rending Sword
- Chaos Steed

1 Chaos Sorcerer (120 points)
- Level 2 Upgrade

4 Chosen Chaos Knights (230 points)
- Full Command
+ accompanied by Aspiring Champion

- Light Armour, Shields
- Full Command
+ accompanied by Exalted Champion

- Light Armour, Shields
- Full Command

5 Chaos Warhounds (30 points)

5 Chaos Warhounds (30 points)

The new High Elves "forced" me into taking a Great Weapon + Helm of Many Eyes combo. I must admit though... its awesome to smash chariot charges before they even happen. :p

bigbear bailey
04-01-2008, 19:31
The rending sword isn't going to get the job done man. Take the plus one swing sword and let him eat them up... This is unless you plan on making him attack mainly monsters with lots of wounds...

And Tzar the whatever... Both those bits of advice you gave are pretty much usless... If anyone ever tries to kill some your hero (wizards are a diffrent story all together) in combat with theirs, then you have already won. Chrs are everyones point sinks, so if you keep yours cheap and make it where they can take a hit then you will win alot more games. Remember that the more men you have with chaos, the better chance you will have of winning...

Nargrakhan
04-01-2008, 21:23
I mainly used the Rending Sword for challenges: pretty much guaranteed killing of the other guy, along with overkill. However I'm always tweaking to get the most mileage outta my forces, and will use your advice for this weekend. The handful of extra points gives me some possible options too. :)