PDA

View Full Version : High Elves army help

Abduction
31-08-2007, 17:54
I've got the following models and would like some help with making a good lis out of them. So this is what I've got:
1 Mage on foot
1 BSB on foot
1 Mounted Commander

2 units of 20 Spearelves with FC
10 Archers
7 Silverhelms
10 Swordmasters
6 Shadow Warriors
1 Chariot
2 Bolt Throwers

01-09-2007, 03:01
You're off to a good start and you could almost make a list out from this as is.

Those 10 Swordmasters need at least 5 -10 reinforcements and even then they're vulnerable to shooting and magic. Better just to use 2 blocks of spear elves in mutual support and wait for the new Army Book when these become more resilient and deadly.

Also, forget the BSB, especially on foot. He's just too vulnerable and Elves don't really need the leadership boost as badly as they need other support.

What you REALLY need with this list are:

a) At least one more mage for 2000 pts battles, maybe 2 more if you're going magic heavy in 2250 games. (Lvl 4, Lvl 2, Lvl2 + Commander on barded steed)

b) 2 Eagles - with that much infantry and shooting, you need these to march block and redirect to give you more time to a) shoot, b) zap and c) maneover
your forces for charges.

c) One more unit of cav - either another Silver Helms or Dragon Princes. DP's are more expensive in points and money, but when you slap the Banner of Sorcery on them, they give your magic phase a boost. (If you can't splash for these models, beef up Swordmasters and stick BoS with them.) Plus, 18" charge gives your opponents pause. I always take them.

c) Another chariot (drop Shadow Warriors for now)- best used in two's. They can stick together for a double charge or each one can support a cav unit (chariot front charge and cave flank to deny ranks)

With that, you'll have the classic "list of two's" - 2 RBT, 2 Eagles, 2 Chariots, 2 Cav, 2 Spears (If you play 2250, you could probably keep the Shadow Warriors in there.) It's a nice balanced list.

Some tips - At least 2 mages, give them Ring of Corin and Ring of Fury. Forces you opponent to squander dispel dice or pay a price.

For the Commander, forget fancy weapons, just lance + shield + Helm of Fortune for 1+ rerollable. Better to have him survive. Be mindful of keeping him on the flank that might take a charge. His saves will protect the unit.

Either keep the 2 spear blocks in the middle for mutual support (in front of RBT's on hill in your deployment zone if possible) Split cav and chariots on either flank or throw all on one flank for a refused flank sweep.

Play as many games as you can with this list until the new Army Book comes out. It will make you a better player when HE's get their boost.

Good luck, alte Schwede.

01-09-2007, 16:02
one more tip (I know this will be very hard to do) just wait about two moths to finalize your army list...because the new book is out in November. and things may change big.

but I do agree mostly with Avatar another chariot (lion ones come out in Nov.) and eagles are deffinatly needed also more swordmasters. I personally like the shadow warriors and would get a few more (but thats me)

the BSB on foot I use often not for leadership bonus but for the banner with +d6 CR or when facing a magic heavy armor the one that wont allow any magic to affect it.

01-09-2007, 21:09
one more tip (I know this will be very hard to do) just wait about two moths to finalize your army list...because the new book is out in November. and things may change big.

but I do agree mostly with Avatar another chariot (lion ones come out in Nov.) and eagles are deffinatly needed also more swordmasters. I personally like the shadow warriors and would get a few more (but thats me)

the BSB on foot I use often not for leadership bonus but for the banner with +d6 CR or when facing a magic heavy armor the one that wont allow any magic to affect it.

I don't disagree with 505, you might want to just sit tight for 2 months if you have another army to play with. The new chariot is beautiful, not to mention the lion option. So maybe you keep the 10 SM's as a flanker for one of the spear blocks in lieu of the second chariot for now. This also save you from doling out cash for Dragon Princes, for a while, just to get the Banner of Sorcery.

But you absolutely MUST get yourself some Great Eagles. The current models are looking rather dated. I might suggest getting one from the new Wood Elf line and one mail order from LotR (Gwahir). They're both bigger models and the Gwahir is a better platform for a commander model. (Here you might use kneeling archer legs instead of cavalry legs. But that's off topic.

505, isn't that BSB a bit vulnerable with only a 5+ save? That's a boatload of points with the Battle Banner. (Bitchin kewl, but a points hog.) Not to mention he's around 260 vp's if he ends up the general with IoC. That's the reason I never put a commander on foot. He'll get challenged every day of the week of that unit gets in combat and with luck, a unit champion could take him down.

Anyway, back to advice - if you're new to HE, play as many games as you can get in before the new rules come out. It will make you a better player. HE is not for novice players as I discovered to my frustration. But, I've stuck with them and it's teaching me a lot about manover and postioning.

Cheers!

Abduction
04-09-2007, 13:30
Thanks for the answes!
I don't think I will buy any new models until the new ones arrive, maybe jas a mage and another chariot. When the new book comes I will field an L.4 archmage and hopefully som Phoenix Guards. I will get myself 2 eagles then too and go with 2 RBT and 2 eagles as rare choices.
The BSBs purpose is to carry the Banner of Sorcery untill I get something else who can do that. Like som Phoenix Guards or something.

I've been playing with the HE for about a year, and have had great succses with them:D

05-09-2007, 04:34
Thanks for the answes!
I don't think I will buy any new models until the new ones arrive, maybe jas a mage and another chariot. When the new book comes I will field an L.4 archmage and hopefully som Phoenix Guards. I will get myself 2 eagles then too and go with 2 RBT and 2 eagles as rare choices.
The BSBs purpose is to carry the Banner of Sorcery untill I get something else who can do that. Like som Phoenix Guards or something.

I've been playing with the HE for about a year, and have had great succses with them:D

Good on you. But I'd advise to buy the eagles first. They are dirt cheap, points wise, and you can either stick them in his face in the first turn or two (place them just in front of the front corner, at an angle - away from the center of battle - so that he cannot wheel away from you in the other direction. Then he must either turn and charge you, which you can flee and pull him out of alignment (and hopefully in charge range of your cav).

You put the Banner of Sorcery, without using a BSB, in with the Swordmasters. Same 5+ save on a SM standard bearer without sinking points into a more expensive commander. But they're so few they could get hammered by shooting and magic.

Don't be quick to buy a bunch of Phoenix Guard models. No one uses them today for good reasons. It's not clear whether they'll be worth the points in the new book either.

Good luck!

PS - Get some eagles!

05-09-2007, 06:03
but they (PG) sure look coooool

when I do my dow army Im going to use some PG for pikemen, and dragon princes for heavy cav. (Im also going to use black guard as pikemen and knights of the white wolf on Bret horses...a conglomeration of some of my fav models :) )

yes that bsb commander is expensive but with D-6 to CR he ussually works real well. unit champ always accepts the first challange and I ussually start with +5-10cr before battle begins. ussually enough to turn the tide. if tha champ dies and I lose combat...yeah Im hurting..a risk I take I guess:D