PDA

View Full Version : Dreads, Forgeworld and Wants

Greatoliver
31-08-2007, 19:31
Hey y'all!

Recently, I was looking at the FW site and marvelling at all it's glory etc.etc. and I decided that having a Dread army with all the lovely Mortis guns and 2 Close Combat Weaponed Dreads. Basically, I have fallen for Forgeworld.

So, I was wondering how to do this. Upon reading the script next to the Mortis weapons, I noticed that they could only be used by DA or their sucessors. Now, this provided a bit of a problem as they cannot have very many Dreads.

My question is thus: What is the most effective and hassle-free way of getting lots of Dreads into an army that can also utilise the glorious extras that Forgeworld supplies?

Cheers for help (and money),

L192837465
31-08-2007, 19:34
use vanilla marines and take the trait that allows you to take 6 dreads.

they can't be mortis, but twin autocannon and rocket launcher does the job nicely.

Frep
31-08-2007, 19:51
Isn't there a way to fiddle with traits and get 8 dreadies two venerable HQ, 3 elite and three tank hunting, furious charge Heavy support ones. For all accounts I've heard its a colorful army that looks good but dies horribly

Greatoliver
31-08-2007, 19:53
I think SW might be able to do the above..... Could anyone verify this?

yukisaiko
31-08-2007, 19:53
Play Apoc. You own it, use it... :o

Greatoliver
31-08-2007, 21:37
...But I wouldn't mind being able to play games without using the Apoc rules.

Two Q's:

1) Can SW have a all-Dread army or how close can they get?

2) Can Mortis Dreads be used in Chapters other than DA?

==Me==
31-08-2007, 21:39
Only DA get Mortis Dreads, so there :D

The most Dreads you can legally fit in a non-Apoc army is 6 Dreads using "Heed the Wisdom of the Ancients" in a Codex:SM army.

Greatoliver
31-08-2007, 22:00
Only DA get Mortis Dreads, so there :D

The most Dreads you can legally fit in a non-Apoc army is 6 Dreads using "Heed the Wisdom of the Ancients" in a Codex:SM army.

Hmm... Could I do a DA sucessor Chapter that revolves around Dreads... i.e. Using "HtWotA"?

Sneaky, but meh.

==Me==
31-08-2007, 22:22
That's under the realm of mixing rules. Either you use Codex:SM and get 6 Dreads or use Codex:DA and get 3 Mortis.

Greatoliver
31-08-2007, 22:46
That's under the realm of mixing rules. Either you use Codex:SM and get 6 Dreads or use Codex:DA and get 3 Mortis.

Ah well... Worth a try! :D

Cheers for your help.

freebooter
31-08-2007, 23:10
SW can only have a max of 4 dreads.

3 in your elites slot and your ven dread in HQ. Although this is normally a bad choice because you want wolf scouts for one of your elite slots.

Surely 6 dreads is more than enough for you?
Or as they said before, there is always Apocalypse,

Feor
31-08-2007, 23:11
1) Can SW have a all-Dread army or how close can they get?

SW can have an HQ or Elite venerable dreadnought, but it's 0-1, with no non-venerable dreadnoughts in the list.

so Space Wolves can take a grand total of... 1 dreadnought.

Greatoliver
31-08-2007, 23:14
SW can have an HQ or Elite venerable dreadnought, but it's 0-1, with no non-venerable dreadnoughts in the list.

:D

Great. That's them out of the question then!

Crassus
31-08-2007, 23:17
just create your own DA sucessor chapter to use the mortis dreadnoughts. for non-tourney battles, you could always ask your opponent to see if you can have special dreadnought army

p.s if your getting any FW dreadnoughts, then be care ful when sticking the legs to the feet

Feor
31-08-2007, 23:19
Anctually, I noticed after I posted that they can take regular SM dreadnoughts as elites, so they get 4. Still no Motises (Morti?) and still only 4, so you're still better to go with HtWotA codex army, or Dark Angels.

Greatoliver
31-08-2007, 23:25
Well, I think that's the bets way to go.

I'll probably also take the other IF Trait where you can use a Tech Marine as an HQ. I'll plonk mine on a bike and he'll go around fixing things. Then , Dreads all the way! (Apart fromt the 10 Scouts with Bolters)

freebooter
01-09-2007, 02:19

Sorry mate :D

You're wrong :P

If you look in the dex above the Wolf Guard entry there is an option to take dreads from codex space marines. It's the same in fast attack with us able to take Land Speeders and from heavy support Whirlwinds etc but they aren't actually in the dex.

In fact...
If you look in the 4th ed rule book there is an army spot light of a wolf army with 4 dreads. I win :)

Feor
01-09-2007, 02:32
And if you kept reading, you'd see I already realized my mistake and corrected myself. :p

freebooter
01-09-2007, 02:59
Oops....

Sorry.

I'm a tad out of it.

Greatoliver
01-09-2007, 17:13
Cheers for all the help.

One last question: Am I right in thinking that the Plasma Cannon and the other right-arm weapons on the Forgeworld site can be used by any Chapters, even DIY ones?