PDA

View Full Version : Do you bite the bait, or your tongue?

Kiro
27-08-2005, 16:37
Further to my last thread "moronic debaters" (http://www.warseer.net/forums/showthread.php?t=9190) I decided to strike up a new thread to determine the mettle of you folks.

Generally speaking, if you happen on a debate and you see that there is a fair amount of BS getting thrown around, or your name dragged through the mud, do you fight back, or can you resist?

This applies to the rest of your life too. I'm sure we're all familiar with those people who need to always "have the last word".

Personally, I find it extremely difficult to resist, I don't know what it is, I just have a compulsion to speak out against BS, or defend my name. Naturally, this can lead to some heated debates, and even fisticuffs! I don't care though, I absolutely cannot abide it when someone is spouting a load of rubbish, or trying to diss me.

Obviously I realise that some people simply do not know what they are talking about, and will gladly allow you to correct them, but there are some people out there who talk BS even though they know it isn't true.

So, do you bite, or do you ignore it?

starlight
27-08-2005, 16:43
In order to respond to trolling I'd have to:

A) care about the subject

and

b) respect the poster.

Since I don't respect trolls, and have better things to do with my time, I generally leave.

Why would I care what someone I've never met, who has no invluence over my life, thinks about what I have to say? I mean, really people, this is the Internet, if you take people seriously, you'll never get out alive.

Kiro
27-08-2005, 16:44
Ah, but I'm referring to the rest of your life too, what about friends? family?

LordPomposity
27-08-2005, 16:46
I'm thoroughly incapable of suffering fools. I argue back, although usually in a passive-aggressive/sarcastic way rather than openly.

Luke
27-08-2005, 16:54
i go off on one usually, i have aggression problems that quite often leave me in tricky situations (like outside nightclubs etc)

i dont have much to my name, but when i see someone crapping on what little i do have, it just sets me off. i cant help it.

Charax
27-08-2005, 17:01
Well, online I usually respond, unless I find that I can't do so without hurling around some form of insult or slur, in which case I type out the reply, get it out of my system and then delete it.

In real life I'll always bite. Even if the people in question won't reign the BS in when confronted by the truth, people around will soon realise how full of it they are, and that's enough to shut them up, I find.

So, I'm a biter ;)

starlight
27-08-2005, 17:06
In life, it's the same. If I respect you, I'll debate you, if not - you don't get my time.

I don't associate with idiots.

Rabid Bunny 666
27-08-2005, 17:11
it depends on the subject, troll, and other people involved

Nazerth
27-08-2005, 18:05
For the most part, in real life, anyone can say anything about me, what I like, what I believe in, whatever, and I won't care. However, say something to or about one of my friends and I'll make you regret it. I'm very protective of the people I care about.

Though, online I really don't care. It's not like I'll ever see the person in reality for anything they said to make any difference.

Karhedron
27-08-2005, 18:30
For the most part I don't get drawn into arguments. However like anyone I have certain topics that I cannot resist getting involved with. I someone spouting (what I see as) BS about one of these I find it very hard not to respond.

Everyone has topics that push their buttons.

Nazguire
27-08-2005, 22:52
As Karhedron said, if it is a topic that I don't have a passing interest in, I laugh and move on. Not that important. If Johnny Three Year Old or Forty Something Virgin have nothing better to do then argue over trivial topics they know nothing about, so be it.

If however it is a conversation that I was involved in which was previously a well-structured and open minded conversation, I'll defend it by tooth and nail until it becomes pointless.

If all else fails, initiate Goodwin's Law: "You're a Nazi"

That ends any discussion.

tzeentchgiant
27-08-2005, 23:57
I myself am moronic enough to be dragged down to their level, or as the case may be, up to it ;) :cool: .

So, despite the fact that I rarely get the inclusion in an arguement, when i do I fight tooth and nail to defend myself, on the interweb anyway :p .

TG

Yodhrin
28-08-2005, 00:29
Most of the time I can restrain myself online, I find I have to or else I just end up feeling enraged. At least if you get into an argument with a total ***** who insults everything about you in real life you can just stick a fist in his face.

Some things though, I just cant help it. Religious nutters in particular(note: I do not believe all religious people are nutters), the types who want Intelligent Design taught in schools as a "scientific" theory, the type who would be driving around with the actual crucified Jesus on the roof of their car if they could to show off their religion.(at this point, I would ask that anyone who's interested in the Intelligent Design debate visits www.venganza.org/, and prepare to laugh yourself senseless).

I know that it's a futile exersise, because their dogma-addled brains will just repeat over and over, or quote Bible passages at you as if that ends the debate without question, but it's just so entertaining to go at it, and then goad them into apoplectic rage when things go downhill, as they always do :D

Nazguire
28-08-2005, 01:22
Question: What exactly is Intelligent Design? Just a God creating the world or?

Anyhow that venganza.org was hilarious, so tongue in cheek and provocative. I liked the letters that were given.

Coffee transubstantiating into blood... :D

starlight
28-08-2005, 01:25
I just remember that they are doing the best that they can........ :angel:

Son of Morkai
28-08-2005, 02:04
Online, I just let them know I think they are fools and disappear for a while.

In person, I either do the same or trick them into swinging first. Then I introduce them to my steel-toed boots.

Kiro
28-08-2005, 02:20
at this point, I would ask that anyone who's interested in the Intelligent Design debate visits www.venganza.org/, and prepare to laugh yourself senseless

I want that Michaelangelo and Noodly appendage painting as my desktop! :eek:

Nazguire
28-08-2005, 02:35
I want that Michaelangelo and Noodly appendage painting as my desktop! :eek:

Well do it? :wtf:

Yodhrin
28-08-2005, 08:59
Question: What exactly is Intelligent Design? Just a God creating the world or?

It's a hilarious pseudo-science created by the religious right in an attempt to put a "presentable" face on Creationism so they can force it into schools. Seriously, FSMism uses the exact same arguments they do(ie, they bring up two totally unrelated things such as Pirates and Global Warming, and then try to link them with "logic").

Eldacar
28-08-2005, 09:06
If I have an interest in the subject, then I'll go after it. I just can't resist. But if it isn't something I'm really interested in, then I don't bother replying.

Kiro
28-08-2005, 12:32
Well do it? :wtf:

I can't!
I either can't access the page, or find a picture big enough! :cries:

Wiseman
28-08-2005, 12:42
i dont argue i stab them

useless
28-08-2005, 14:44
i dont argue i stab them
how subtle :p

Shadowheart
28-08-2005, 15:20
When someone's sprouting nonsense and falsehood and everyone knows it, I don't tend to get involved. There's no educating those who deliberately refuse education. However, if there are people around who are actually being fooled, then I might step in to make sure that doesn't happen. I enjoy the occasional heated arguement or all-out fight, but there's got to be something to gain.

Likewise I'm not overly bothered by insults so long as they come from people who don't know what they're on about. Insults coming from people who actually know who or what they're insulting are a different matter, and if they're wrong it tends to come to nasty conflicts. But when someone who knows you says something bad about you, they're quite often right too.

Anyway, I'm not concerned with protecting my honour or anyone else's, if it's not under any threat worth mentioning. I'm not going to waste effort on someone who's not even capable of a decent provocation. But of course there's only so far you can push anyone.

Wiseman
29-08-2005, 04:33
how subtle :p
i thought so, it deals with the problem brilliantly as well :evilgrin: