PDA

View Full Version : ogres formation

TownCryer
27-08-2005, 16:49
ok, so what is better, having ogres four wide or three?

and not just in general for the army, but for each unit

fracas
27-08-2005, 16:57
i would say 2x2 actually, for the smaller frontage and the unit size.
I believe this is permissable under the current rules.

TownCryer
27-08-2005, 17:51
ok, I usually run my bulls and Iron guts 3 wide and 2-3 deep, and my lead belchers 4 wide no deep. I want to get as amny BR's in, but still have a rank. it make for good coverage.
also I was thinking of making my own movement trays, any advice on what to do, I was thinking of balsa wood

Trunks
27-08-2005, 18:33
I would personally go four wide, I haven't used ogres but I've used minotaurs and trolls (similar troops on the same size base).

This maximizes your attacks against most troops out there (if the enemy is a 5 wide 20mm regiment or a 4 wide 25mm regiment you can get all four of your ogres in base contact) and doesn't make maneuvering the regiment all that much worse than three wide.

Negafex
27-08-2005, 18:58
i usually use 3 wide and 2 deep for bulls, 4wide and 2 deep for my one unit of ironguts.
this works very well for me as i still get a rank bonus and many attacks. also even though some people say it isnt i find a full comand for bulls to be worth it

Runt Nosher
27-08-2005, 19:11
I like to mix it up quite a bit. I use two units of 4 bulls backed by two of 3 to screen my 3 units of 3 Ironguts. Sometimes I take 5 ogre units to fit my Tyrant into but I've been playing lizzies a lot lately so my army has changed drastically...

skavenguy13
27-08-2005, 23:39
I will have mostly units of 5-6 and will deploy them 4-wide unless I need more place (minimum of 3-wide). Most elite units have a frontage of 6 (5 for bigger bases) so 4 ogres should be in contact against elites. Against weaker units (less-wide units) then I simply lose the contact for 1 ogre. I don't think it matters though, as I wouldn't have a rank anyway. But I don't want to put them in 1 huge rank because they'll block other units.