PDA

View Full Version : Who is/ Was the best bassist of all time?

Marty D
27-08-2005, 16:56
ok - so we have a greatest guitarist ever thread - i thought us bass players should get a go too

i reckon my top 3 are:

Les Claypool, John Paul Jones and Jaco Pastorius

in no particular order, how about you guys?

oh yea - i have the album zooma by john paul jones, thats why he's in my top 3, because theres some pretty insane playing in that there album

Crube
27-08-2005, 17:16
I'll probably get shot down here, but I reckon Steve Harris from Maiden should get a look in.

His playing is the backbone of most Maiden tracks, often the most memorable part. Also he is Maiden IMO.

Some of the bass playing on the X Factor Album was amazing

As an alternative, Joey Di Maio (sp) from Man O War rocks too...

Adlan
27-08-2005, 17:20
Victor Wooten does some pretty hot stuff.

And my personal favourtie bassist is fred hollis. Because A. He is so good the goverment buys his basses. and B. he plays so ******* well.

Harlequin'sDance
27-08-2005, 17:50
If we get three, then I name Victor Wooten, Jaco Pastorius, and Les Claypool. If I have to choose just one though, Jaco Pastorius.

Brother Smith
27-08-2005, 18:07
Hmmm the best bassist alive is Steve Di'gorgio and the Testament bassist (I know his name what is it :S)

Odin
27-08-2005, 18:27
I reackon Paul McCartney is rather underrated as a bassist - he's written and played some of the best basslines ever. Of course if you're talking about technical ability then I'd have to go with Les Claypool and Jaco Pastorius (the usual suspects). Personally I prefer bassists who play only what's needed, rather than take every opportunity to show how clever they are, so I'd go for Macca, Robert Sledge (Ben Folds Five) and Donald Duck Dunn.

Dirty Fingers
27-08-2005, 18:37
Les Claypool, Steve DiGorgio, and....i don't know Cliff Burton? Jason Newsted? Ryan Martinie (i realize he's in a nu metal band...)

Marty D
27-08-2005, 18:58
the arguement often comes up that Les Claypool plays to technical purely to show off:-

i think this is a good thing, the sheer wow factor at some bass fills/ solo's by the guy clearly show he's a top notch player

its always fun to try and jam to a Claypool song only to be utterly demoralised at the onset of a chorus by an insane bass onslaught, at first you hate the guy for concieving such a fill - then you love him for bringing such wonderous playing to your ears

BorisGT
27-08-2005, 19:50
I had the chance to listen to Les Claypool the other night and I must say... I was very imrpessed. I'm not sure on best ever status... but he's damn good. I like Jaco too.... It's tought to say.

Brandir
27-08-2005, 20:19
Why has nobody mentioned Mark King from Level 42? Superb bass player, in my opinion.

marv335
27-08-2005, 20:51
flea from RHCP is my favorite

Strangelove
27-08-2005, 21:09
http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/thumb/0/0f/Jackbruce.JPG/180px-Jackbruce.JPG

Jack Bruce.

Bassist. Lyricist. Cancer survivor. All around aweseome guy.

Odin
27-08-2005, 21:50
"the arguement often comes up that Les Claypool plays to technical purely to show off:-

i think this is a good thing, the sheer wow factor at some bass fills/ solo's by the guy clearly show he's a top notch player

its always fun to try and jam to a Claypool song only to be utterly demoralised at the onset of a chorus by an insane bass onslaught, at first you hate the guy for concieving such a fill - then you love him for bringing such wonderous playing to your ears"

Don't get me wrong, I like a bit of Primus actually (well, I've only got Tales from the Punchbowl). It's just that while I like his stuff (and am jealous at the same time!), I really prefer the bassist who give a song a groove or add melodic layers, rather than just dominate the song as Claypool often does.... perhaps it is just that I'm jealous then... ;)

And I have to agree with Strangelove - Jack Bruce is one of the all-time greats. Probably my favourite bit of music is the "solo" in Cream's version of Crossroads - I put the word solo in inverted commas cos really it's all three of them just going off on one, and it's fan-bloody-tastic.

Cade
27-08-2005, 22:00
Nobody's mentioned Lemmy!!!!!

My top three are Steve Harris (Maiden), Lemmy (Motorhead) and Marco Hietala (Nightwish).

Not just bassists, these three are songwriters and singers too!

strv
27-08-2005, 22:12
well uhm can you be good at playing bass? didn't know that, Any ways here:
Gene Simmons , he just got cool make up
Nikki Sixx, he actuly been dead, how cool isn't that?
then Lemmy, he is a good bass player, good him.

redemptionist15
27-08-2005, 23:08
Jaco Pastorius for his amazing innovation on the electric bass must always be considered, Portrait of Tracy is absolute genius!

Steve Harris is a rather good bass player, so many triplets so fast, he also is an amazing song-writer what with him writing a boatload of Maidens best songs.

My 2 favourite bass players personally are Ryan Martinie of Mudvayne and Timmy C of RATM/Audioslave, Martinie has a technical skill which is up their with the best, his bass lines are fast,complex but fitting to the music which for me is what a great bass player needs to be. Timmy C on the other hand has made some of the most memorable and fantastic bass lines this past 2 decades, he is such a solid player and amazing live.

James Jamerson is another great, played on so many influential records in his time as a session musician. Stuart Zender is another awesome player, with some great funk lines.

One bass player i feel is over-rated is Flea.

Hippy In Peril
28-08-2005, 16:22
Being a real simple guy when it comes to music, when it comes to bass, I've always been partial to "Mutt" Lange (Def Leppard) and John Paul Jones (Zeppelin).

PSD
28-08-2005, 17:21
Jeff Walker (Carcass)

Alex Webster (Cannibal Corpse)

Jonas Björler (At The Gates)

Legends all.

Cpt. Drill
28-08-2005, 19:13
I would have to say either me.... or les claypool.....

admittedly Les does have slap down to a tea and can play as technically as he likes... but I have that fresh begginers sound if you know what I mean!

If you want to hear some good primus I suggest Frizzel Fry to anyone who has heard other primus stuff and liked it or Antipop for people who havent heard or didnt like other primus styff this is a little more musically tunefull!

(Evil)Ash
29-08-2005, 00:08
David Ellefson (Megadeth)