PDA

View Full Version : What is the best Army (looks and battle wise)

Blood God
01-09-2007, 09:21
I know this is a bit of a noob question but what is the best Army (looks and battle wise)?

Support your answer with reasons and facts.

- Blood God

fearchanges
01-09-2007, 10:12
It depends on how you play them, I don't think that there's an army which is overpowerd, compared with 5th generation Lizzies and Brets.

the brewer
01-09-2007, 10:30
my brothers think the slayer army of karak kadrin is over powered :)

Hywel
01-09-2007, 15:36
Define "best". :eyebrows:

Lost_Heretic
01-09-2007, 15:37
Chaos Dwarfs

sephiroth87
01-09-2007, 16:47
This question really isn't worth answering, because it's different to everybody. I suggest you look at the army books, playtest a few games or borrow an army, and see what YOU like. If you get all your opinions from the anonymous denizens of teh intarwebz, you'll find yourself disappointed.

If you want to be specific, ask questions like "what is the best infantry based army?" Or "What heavy-magic army is the most powerful?" Just asking which is best doesn't work because all the armies excel at different tasks.

RipFlag
01-09-2007, 16:58
I personally think that the DE's have the best model range, and therefore look very good on the battle field, as to their efficiency at beating the enemy, well thats a different story.
I am not a big fan of O&G models, but having a huge greenskin hoard on the table is really cool to look at.

I mean all of the armies have good models, and most of them are relatively good if played right. So what ever you think looks cool, can do good on the battle field, well usually

Nargrakhan
01-09-2007, 22:31
Sometimes an army that looks good, doesn't mean it plays good.

For example there was this 2000 point Khorne Beast army that I had the pleasure of seeing, that included nothing but Beast Herds, Bestigors, Bloodletters and Centigors. It was beautiful, since the "horned creature" theme was just pleasing to the eyes. However that same army was utterly crushed because it was made for looks over use.

I myself have a theme army that consists of almost purely daemonettes. Looks great... loses badly. :p

mistformsquirrel
01-09-2007, 23:18
Sometimes an army that looks good, doesn't mean it plays good.

For example there was this 2000 point Khorne Beast army that I had the pleasure of seeing, that included nothing but Beast Herds, Bestigors, Bloodletters and Centigors. It was beautiful, since the "horned creature" theme was just pleasing to the eyes. However that same army was utterly crushed because it was made for looks over use.

I myself have a theme army that consists of almost purely daemonettes. Looks great... loses badly. :p

It can't lose. It has boobs, and boobs win. >.> Thus you always win a moral victory.

<.< >.>

In seriousness, I can't say a word gameplay wise, but Chaos has definitely got me on the looks side. >.>b FOR THE DARK GODS!

Nagathi
01-09-2007, 23:53
According to the latest GTs and bigger events, Bretonnia and Wood Elves seem to be pulling top three most of all races. If that makes them "best" as per your definition I don't know.

I personally don't like the Dual Treeman Wood Elf lists that are used on the GTs. I prefer the good-lloking elf models instead.

~ Nag

catbarf
02-09-2007, 00:51
Chaos Dwarfs. They have everything- think Dwarfs, only they get access to O&G troops, 2pt Hobgoblins (basically a man with less I and Ld), and both light and heavy cavalry. In other words, they have everything.

theunwantedbeing
02-09-2007, 01:16
The best looking army?
All of them,if all painted to the same perfect standard they would all look equally good.

The best army battlewise?
Depends if you want to win,or want a fun game.
Win..Brets and WE have some pretty abusive lists you can make,not fun but they do tend to win a lot.
If you want a fun game....any list,it depends more on tactics and what you roll during the game than what you actually choose as soon as you take a "decent" list,and all armies have that.(even dark elves....well sortof)

Finnigan2004
02-09-2007, 03:15
I agree pretty much with unwanted being, although no matter how well painted the Nurgle army is painted those pustules are seriously gross. In summary then, all armies when painted well-- 1st place. Nurgle army painted well (not sure how you could tell) 2nd place. I would say though that in terms of winning, you can make abusive lists with lots of (probably most) army lists (wood elves and Brettonians seem to be a pretty popular choice for people that do this though, as noted).

manickze
02-09-2007, 03:30
looks wise bretonnian armies (so much canvas to paint) and Chaos (so many conversion opportunities). When they are done right they look so *******' amazing. I mean all the other armies have a lot of conversion opportunities and can be themed and painted well, but nothing gives you so much opportunity than a chaos or bretonnian force. This is even why I have both a Chaos and Bret army.

Play wise - Brets/Wood elves are the new black.

gerrymander61
04-09-2007, 13:06
I'd say Bretonnian's look really good because there's just so much that can be done. You could easily do a colourful, yet unified, paint scheme. And the whole Arthurian thing is pretty cool.

Best, well, i really don't know. The same army when played by two different people becomes two different armies, imo, so, you really can't find a 'best' army. Although some would seem hard to beat or downright unfun to play against, everyone is beatable and there is no 'ultimate' army.

forgottenlor
04-09-2007, 14:59
Brettonians are easy to play. You run across the table with knights and hit people before they hit you. I suppose that makes it not bad for newbies. The model range is pretty good too.
I started with lizard men, they are a well balanced army, were relative cheap to assembe, and I have in general found them easy to play as well as offering possibilities for different styles of play.
Wood elves can be easily abused, as has been stated here. Im not sure this kind of army is particularly fun though and it does require some knowledge of the game.
Empire is also a well balanced, flexable and relatively successful tournament army, but I for one do not like the figures. I also think it could be mastered relatively quickly by a new player.

Napoleon Blownapart
04-09-2007, 19:53
AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAGH

Every game I have ever played I see this come up, especially on forums. Unlike "what army should I play", this question should not be asked if the game is worth playing. Lots of people think lots of different things, and only your opinion matters in this case!

Tau_Pathfinder
08-09-2007, 01:28
High elves imo are the army. They look "pure" and "clean" not to mention the many ways they can be fielded they give you a powerful, versitile force.

Kerill
08-09-2007, 02:14
I would say chaos. Firstly your name is blood god (Khorne). Second chaos means you basically have three armies in one and you can mix and match between the three. Finally they have by far the best modelling potential and any model you mess up becomes a spawn :) Mortals are also very cheap to collect.

For effectiveness they are low to mid tier at present but still feel dead hard and may get better with their army book next year.

Voodoo Boyz
08-09-2007, 04:03
Bretonians.

They can look AMAZING, but take a lot of skill to paint well.
They are an incredibly, stupidly, strong army list that can steamroll so many opponents it's not even funny.

Urgat
08-09-2007, 08:50
"glares at title"
Mine. It's the best looking army of the world, nobody under the heavens would dare question that, and its got ogreslayer gobs and bloodletterslayer snotlings.
What the hell of a question is that?

serious answers (to avoid being a complete troll)?
1) beauty is in the eye of the beholder (unfortunately, fantasy beholders have many eyes), so you look at armies, and you decide for yourself which one looks best, you don't decide upon an army because RandomPoster2417 told you this one looked best.
2) go to the general fantasy forum, there's already many threads about which army is the best one, I'm pretty sure there's still a couple on the first page.

T10
08-09-2007, 09:55
I know this is a bit of a noob question but what is the best Army (looks and battle wise)?

Support your answer with reasons and facts.

- Blood God

The best looking army is the High Elves. They are simply the prettiest. No way around it. Sure. You can coax a few lookers out of virtually any army, but the High Elves are like the frickin' cat-walk of Warhammer Armies.

The best army is the Lizardman army. It isn't very exiting, but it is excels in reliability due to its special Leadership rule. That reliabilty will typically mean that if things go reallybad for you in a battle you will most likely get a draw.

-T10

Edit: Why do I bother answering these threads? "Support your answers with reason and facts." Pah. What are you? My grammar school teacher?

jpwic
08-09-2007, 14:18
Its all about Slaanesh Daemon Legions for best looks!!!

Killgore
08-09-2007, 14:43
Vampire Counts

nothing screams Fantasy more then legions of the walking dead out to eat the brains of the living, you can realy go to town converting zombies and skelletons and they are pretty lethal on the battlefield

captaincortez
10-09-2007, 17:44
Not Chaos.

Empire and O&G are what Warhammer Fantasy is all about.

W0lf
10-09-2007, 18:26
Surely the army we all collect will be the 'best' in our oppinion.

As we dont all play the same army the answer is rather undefinative.

Bernardinatti
11-09-2007, 12:50
As said previously, it all comes down to personal taste.

I have noticed that some people have mentioned "broken" or "abusive" army lists. Esp in the form of WE and Brets.

I have a minor, slightly off-topic question of my own. How on earth can an army list be "abusive"?

Its either a legal or illegal army? Can someone please give an example of an abusive army? Is it a Brettonian army with only knights?? (Heavens forbid..).

Again, sorry if anyone is irritated by the seeming off-topicness of this.

P.S. Personally i love the High Elves, my first army and still my favourite, for its look and its playablity.

sephiroth87
12-09-2007, 01:42
I think you should play Space Marines. They're the w11nzor in fantasy. And give them Rail Guns. It'll take care of those pesky bolt throwers.