PDA

View Full Version : drop poding space marines

samuel
02-09-2007, 12:01
hey guys i was just wondering if there any space marine chapter (pre or post heresy) that uses drop pods more then the other chapter?

thanks
samuel

Comrade Wraith
02-09-2007, 12:04
Well I'm not sure about this because i'm not looking at my SM codex but i should think that one of the fast shock chapters might such as raven guard ( i think thats the name) or blood ravens (well infiltrating is sort of a shock attack) but dont take my word for it this is just opinion

samuel
02-09-2007, 12:12
hey thanks for the quick reply
i just think there should be at least one chapter out there that drop pods are a main battle plan for (fluff wise).
and yer a fast army like them maybe.

so any one else have any idea as well?

thanks
samuel

samuel
02-09-2007, 12:19
wow i found a chapter that like to use drop pods the soul drinkers
http://wh40k.lexicanum.com/wiki/Soul_Drinkers
this is were i found it out
but if theres any more chapters i would still like to no

thanks
samuel

Comrade Wraith
02-09-2007, 12:35
Well now that i think about it blood ravens are supposed to be mainly infantry and dreddy armies so thts one

DantesInferno
02-09-2007, 12:39
hey thanks for the quick reply
i just think there should be at least one chapter out there that drop pods are a main battle plan for (fluff wise).
and yer a fast army like them maybe.

so any one else have any idea as well?

thanks
samuel

Just to be perfectly clear about this: Drop pods are a main battle plan for all Marine Chapters - they're all going to use them where appropriate in deploying from space.

It's a bit like asking if there's a Chapter which has a lot of Tactical Marines.

HiveFleetEzekial
02-09-2007, 12:46
Well, the Space Wolves are widly known for their use in pods. They never teleport anything in.. something about they don't like the idea of having their atoms torn apart then put back together someplace else. ala Lt. Brockly(Broccoli).. err Barkly from ST:TNG.

Leftenant Gashrog
02-09-2007, 15:59
As DantesInferno says: all chapters will use Drop Pod assaults if the Codex Astartes says that the situation merits it (in addition to uniforms and organisations, the codex also covers "fighting by numbers"), however i believe the Raven Guard have been expressly noted as favouring Drop Pod assaults even when the Codex would suggest other tactics.

I dont believe the Blood Ravens really favour drop pods, at least not in a tactical sense, they seem to favour sneaking the bulk of their force into position.

samuel
02-09-2007, 17:59
hey guys thanks alot for your help

but i think im am going to do my own chapter now called the death scorpions, using the forgeworld red scorpions bits and i will make some fluff up why they like to use drop pods and the weapons i have choosen.

i did want to do a chapter useing the salamander symbol but gw dont sell the should pads any more. so im using the red srocpions

so what you guys think of the idea?

thanks
samuel

Comrade Wraith
02-09-2007, 18:33
Well i take my hat off to you for wanting to buy drop pod models (i assume you are....?) and its a good idea, perhaps you should make a BFG fleet to go with it to play connected scenarios

Leftenant Gashrog
02-09-2007, 18:45
hmm, how about something like:
"Created as part of the *data lost* Founding, the *data missing* chapters first major deployment was part of a xenocidal campaign in the vicinity of the Eta Scorpio nebula, the foul *data missing* laid claim to some two dozen worlds, the vast majority of which were defended by extensive deep-site meson(1) batteries that were immune to orbital bombardment, in the opening engagements the *data missing* chapter suffered significant losses amongst its Thunderhawks and Planetary Landers, which were too slow moving to avoid the intense fire, Drop Pods proved to be the only reliable way of getting troops planetside without significant losses, with Thunderhawks and Landers mostly being deployed only to recover marine ground forces after they had knocked out the meson batteries.

The campaign lasted some 15 long years and claimed some two-dozen worlds from the foul xenos which inhabited them, by which time the chapter had become so expert in drop pod assaults that it frequently chose them even when the vaunted Codex Astartes recommended some other course of action, recognising the impact that the campaign had had on the chapter, the chapter master formally adopted the Scorpio crusades campaign badge (a scorpion) as its chapter badge, and renamed the chapter the Death Scorpions."

(1) a meson is a type of particle which doesnt interract with physical matter however it is unstable and quickly degrades into more damaging particles, some science fiction settings (particularly Traveller, which was once published under license by GW) have meson weaponry, which works by firing mesons at the target using complex handwavium that causes the mesons to degrade into damaging particles only after having passed through the targets armour, it also has the benefit that you can build them within asteroids or underground.