PDA

View Full Version : gw -hasbro

iseeleadpeople
02-09-2007, 14:00
i have heard a rumor about a buy out,

hasbro are looking to buy major shares in gw. in my own words not a good sign.

Damien 1427
02-09-2007, 14:02
Of course you did.

It's a hypothetical thrown out by doom-merchants in the Slag GW Off (Sorry, the Other GW Discussion ;)) subforum. I don't see it happening unless GW go practically bankrupt.

Brimstone
02-09-2007, 14:04
As this is not 40K specific I'm moving it to other GW discussion.

revford
02-09-2007, 14:04
Hasbro are the most likely people to go after GW, to add to the Wizards stable of games, but I'd not heard about it actually happening.

Could be good, could be bad.

Wizards did a good job with D&D, maybe they can with the GW games too.

Cartographer
02-09-2007, 14:06
Come now, who doesn't want their miniatures pre-painted in a Chinese sweat-shop, packaged randomly and subject to ever changing and horrendously over-simplified rules that every tournament invalidate a whole set of figures?

Crube
02-09-2007, 14:08
Oooohhh memememememe..

Oh hang on, no.

I'll reserve judgement if this does turn out to be true, but lets just say that I wont be disposing of any of my current edition minis quite so readily...

Latro_
02-09-2007, 14:22
wasnt this an april fools joke one year?

old guard
02-09-2007, 14:38
Mr Horus potato head just added to the Christmas list,:rolleyes:

revford
02-09-2007, 14:43
Come now, who doesn't want their miniatures pre-painted in a Chinese sweat-shop, packaged randomly and subject to ever changing and horrendously over-simplified rules that every tournament invalidate a whole set of figures?

Well, we don't have the random pre-painted models yet.... :)

Is there a link to a news story on this, or something like that? Or is it a word of mouth type rumour?

Putty
02-09-2007, 14:51
buhaahhaa.... we will pay $25 for a SM tactical marine box with randomly inserted sprues HAHAHAHAHAH! xD xD

Biggles
02-09-2007, 16:30
Would Hasbro wait until all the stores had closed, or would they try to keep them open?

Oliver Twist
02-09-2007, 17:01
Federal Regulators may not like that in the US... just a thought. I hope it doesnt happen, although, seeing as I've got some shares...maybe I do hope it happens!

NallTWD
02-09-2007, 17:09
Again, this was an April Fools day joke from FOUR YEARS AGO.

I think Wizards is a terrible company, and GW is doing a dandy job of closing GW stores on its own.

BTW- Atlanta Games Day just got the axe, in addition to 35 stores worldwide.

Micro
02-09-2007, 18:10
does gw close stores in your country? i just see stores and hobby centres spreading like cancer in our cities. couldn't imagine GW running low on cash anyway....

sheck2
02-09-2007, 18:33
Rumor...joke...conspiracy...

Assume that it was true...

Why does everyone imagine Hasbro would gut the product, completely change teh sales model (to pre-painted), etc.?

GW's problems as of late are not because its products suck. It's how its management has run the company (and in some ways marketed its products).

Hasbro would buy GW because of its products...not inspite of them (which is where they woudl dramatically altered, changed, dis-contnued, etc.).

NallTWD
02-09-2007, 18:47
And yes, NYC is down to one store, Boston is down to one store... The'yre cutting and running in hopes to rebuild someday, but this was the second round they were here. Chances are, the regions which lose GWs now won't have them ever again. The upper management has this vision for GW that worked perfectly in England, but doesn't work here.

Their first major mistake was determining all the part time employees didn't care and couldn't have the same amount of training that full timers had, so they fired all of them. The next bad decision was making sure all the middle management of the individual regions were on par with Ed or they we're fired/forced to quit/were given more responsibilities without more pay.

Though I'm pissed as hell GW's killing itself from the inside, they go through 5-year periods of greatness and crap. I was lucky enough to start up in 2003, the second year of an ascension. I'm sure the stockholders will be fed up with Ed and Jervis' BS new management plans and crappy, bland codecies and in 2011, we'll be back in full force.

In the meanwhile, enjoy the Horus Heresy novel series? Those are perfect.

Oh, and the rumor mill is grinding. I've overheard the "reason GW is doing so poorly now is the mistakes made two years ago.: This includes the 'part timers being crap' and 'LoTR not being promoted enough.' So yes folks, the reason GW is failing is because LoTR is a game no one plays. Bra-vo guys, bravo.

Bookwrak
02-09-2007, 18:54
Which might make sense, were LotR in fact a game no one plays.

Some guy (UK)
02-09-2007, 18:59
does gw close stores in your country? i just see stores and hobby centres spreading like cancer in our cities. couldn't imagine GW running low on cash anyway....

I presume you are in the UK, possibly Europe? What you describe is down to the UK's compact size, meaning they can get a strangle-hold on the wargamming market here. The US, a bigger fish entirely. It is just not possible to have that sort of dominance over there in the US in terms of retail outlets.

Valo
02-09-2007, 19:40
I have yet to see anyone play LOTR....EVER.....here,When the game was first released a few years back the shop brought some stuff in.....its be there ever since.

Mad Doc Grotsnik
02-09-2007, 19:56
Sorry folks, but LotR is indeed somewhat profitable.

Originally, the License was with New Line, to produce games of the films. The cost of the License was projected to be recouped by the release of Return of the King.

In actual fact, it was recouped half way through it's first year.

Tokein Estates then offered GW to procure the License to the rest of the works, and this was obviously snapped up.

Not exactly the failure many would have you believe, is it? Especially as sales are still healthy enough....

As for Hasbro. They apparently did look into once, and then ran away shrieking like Homer when they saw the company running costs. Sure, they could cut them, but the Stores are the reason for GWs success thus far.

ChrisAsmadi
02-09-2007, 20:58
Sorry folks, but LotR is indeed somewhat profitable.

Originally, the License was with New Line, to produce games of the films. The cost of the License was projected to be recouped by the release of Return of the King.

Tokein Estates then offered GW to procure the License to the rest of the works, and this was obviously snapped up.

No, no, no. If it were the rest of his works, I'd play it, because it'd have the awesomeness of the Silmarillion.

Coasty
02-09-2007, 21:57
Meh. I like Transformers and the last few runs of Star Wars figures have been more than cool. Hasbro ain't so bad...

cpl_hicks
02-09-2007, 23:55

No, no, no. If it were the rest of his works, I'd play it, because it'd have the awesomeness of the Silmarillion.

Games Workshop own the Licence for the Lord Of The Rings - originally the fillms and then the books- the Silmarillion is a differant book to the Lord Of The Rings.

lord_blackfang
02-09-2007, 23:58
Hasbro killed X-Com. They can never be forgiven.

Apocalypse
03-09-2007, 01:22
guys, hasbro is actually cool... we all worried about this when us aD&D fans heard about the buyout from Wzards of the Coast... We were sorry ready to call it quits when they immediatly rolled out a new version with what we saw as a whole new set of expesive, simplified rulebooks.... Then it turns out that it was the best thing ever! it really did bring it back to life. I wouldn' flinch or twitch at Hasbro buying out Games Workshop- I think that things can't really get any worse than tey are now... models are unbeleivably expensive, the rulebooks are sloow in coming, and the worst move I think is this new direction they seem to be taking 40k into, where the rules are over-simplified and being catered to a beginner crowd. Maybe they should release a 40K advanced for us older players...

Frodo34x
03-09-2007, 01:33
guys, hasbro is actually cool... we all worried about this when us aD&D fans heard about the buyout from Wzards of the Coast... We were sorry ready to call it quits when they immediatly rolled out a new version with what we saw as a whole new set of expesive, simplified rulebooks.... Then it turns out that it was the best thing ever! it really did bring it back to life. I wouldn' flinch or twitch at Hasbro buying out Games Workshop- I think that things can't really get any worse than tey are now... models are unbeleivably expensive, the rulebooks are sloow in coming, and the worst move I think is this new direction they seem to be taking 40k into, where the rules are over-simplified and being catered to a beginner crowd. Maybe they should release a 40K advanced for us older players...
Thing is, apparently hasbro are now killing D&D by making 4ed "World of Warcraft on paper".

VetSgtNamaan
03-09-2007, 05:07
The only thing more comman than people proclaiming the demise of GW are people saying the next edition of Dnd will kill off the game. While I have not being playing warhammer very long I have been playing dnd since the very early 80's and with each new edition people say the same thing. It is alot like the complaints about GW except Hasbro produces products very quickly at a consistant level of quality.

As for the prepainted mini's well I have no idea why people are so convinced that is what would happen if Hasbro did(and a big IF) take over. They are a large company and has a history of making things quick and streamlined. If things do not work they do not let it drag on for years hoping things will turn around they make changes immediately so stuff will sell. As for the supposed British feel? Well if you guys want to have a poorly run and managed company with little connect tot hier customer base as your national identity then hey have at it.

NallTWD
03-09-2007, 05:29
Again, Hasbro is not buying, nor will it ever buy GW. EVER.

But LoTR is an extremely playable game. The best way to play is in Battle Companies, but it was never really supported all that much. They were EXTREMELY fun, but no one could get by the 25 moria goblin all hero archers list... And was dropped.

Chaplain Mortez
03-09-2007, 06:09
I seriously doubt Hasbro will buy up GW--Hasbro wants money makers. It bought up Pokemon because they wanted their slice of the cake. The only way Hasbro would ever buy up GW is if GW tanks. In that case, I will applaud Hasbro for saving my hobby, to tell the truth. But according to all this shenanigans on the internet about poor GW sales, I don't think Hasbro wants the burden of GW.

I think those who saw Hasbro buying D&D are correct--they managed to save the game (although I do not play).

But what about Star Wars? Before, the pen and paper RPG was on the edge of dying. I didn't even know it existed. Then Wizards got a hold of it. To be honest, it's one of my favorite games to play (when I can). They fleshed it out (Knights of the Old Republic is based off the system used in the pen and paper version). They revitalized it. They gave so much back to the game. They made me buy it.

Don't even get me started on Magic. All I can say is: "wow." Weekly articles straight from the head designer and development teams? Coverage of every organized event? And despite all the nay-sayers about how terrible bannings are, Wizards ALWAYS gives justified and reasoned explanations. Why just this week, a card was banned and received a good 200 words on why (it should be noted that bannings only occur when cards become UNFUN, not when they are broken or the best). Generally, all this is free.

I guess what I'm getting at is that I want GW to be independent, but should take a look at other companies to see why they have become successful. Hasbro would be a prime example.

Back to an earlier argument on pre-painted minis with Hasbro. Theoretically speaking, if Hasbro did buy out GW, them switching to pre-painted and dials would be like if they took D&D and turned it into a card game. It would just be terrible and would lose a lot of people. No matter where GW goes, the hobby aspect of the game will always be there--two beautifully painted armies sitting on a table of hours upon hours of work put into terrain with a grudge to settle between two players as egos are on the line since so much blood, sweat, and tears went into making it all.

Then again, I still have faith in GW. Sooner or later, they might get it. Here in the States, it's innocent until proven guilty.

sebster
03-09-2007, 06:18
When D&D was bought, Hasbro were paying for brand recognition and intellectual property. This was a good deal for Hasbro as they already had their own distribution network they could move the D&D product through.

If Hasbro bought GW they’d be paying for brand recognition and intellectual property, but they’d also have to pay out for the expansive distribution network GW has built for itself. There isn’t the same synergy there for Hasbro and I doubt they’d be interested in running a section of their company as retail stores selling one single line of their games.

The Hasbro buyout makes for a good ghost story for geeks to tell each other on the internet. It doesn’t make sense as a commercial venture for Hasbro.

grickherder
03-09-2007, 10:56
It might make more sense for Hasbro once GW streamlines its distribution system and becomes profitable again. Or rather when GW fails to streamline and keeps losing money until they can get it at a price where they don't have to pay for the parts they don't want :D

Bookwrak
03-09-2007, 11:31
The Hasbro buyout makes for a good ghost story for geeks to tell each other on the internet.
Also, GW will completely eliminate its bitz service in the 1st quarter next year. You need an extra head, or certain type of arm? Going to have to buy an entire box to get it. :angel:

sebster
03-09-2007, 11:34
Also, GW will completely eliminate its bitz service in the 1st quarter next year. You need an extra head, or certain type of arm? Going to have to buy an entire box to get it. :angel:

Sorry, I've missed something. What's that got to do with my post?

scratchbuilt
03-09-2007, 11:39
Thing is, apparently hasbro are now killing D&D by making 4ed "World of Warcraft on paper".

Unless you have some amazing insider info, beyond the official website, then I don't see how you've come to this conclusion. Everything they've said so far sounds promising.

Bookwrak
03-09-2007, 11:45
Sorry, I've missed something. What's that got to do with my post?

The Hasbro buyout makes for a good ghost story for geeks to tell each other on the internet.

It's another good ghost story. IIRC, a couple days ago there were people panicking and flailing their arms in the air because someone brought this up elsewhere on the forum.

*edit* I also might be imagining a conversation had with myself in my head, because I can't find that aforementioned thread now.

Frodo34x
03-09-2007, 13:44
Unless you have some amazing insider info, beyond the official website, then I don't see how you've come to this conclusion. Everything they've said so far sounds promising.
That's merely the general feeling you get from visiting DnD websites. Everyone complaining about the new edition, when they don't actually know anything about it.

Three Headed Monkey
03-09-2007, 14:29
That's merely the general feeling you get from visiting DnD websites. Everyone complaining about the new edition, when they don't actually know anything about it.

That is the habit of all gamers. Just read all the rumour threads on this forum to get a good idea of how prevalent that is.

scratchbuilt
03-09-2007, 22:07

Ok, my sarcasm sensors failed, sorry:(.
Maybe I'm spoiled by mtg, with new cards coming out so often, but I like the idea of dnd 4th edition.

Hasbro would pump more money into GW. I think GW long passed the made by fans phase. But I also enjoy hollywood sitcoms too:)

RevEv
03-09-2007, 22:22
I heard this rumour seven years ago - nothing new here then.

As for LoTR - I've seen it played many times in GW stores (including the last time I was in one last week). It is a popular game, even if many Warseers don't want to accept it. The models are spectacular, even though I don't play I still have my favourite limited release models.

Lets get over this LoTR hatred - it is here to stay.

Frodo34x
03-09-2007, 23:16
Ok, my sarcasm sensors failed, sorry:(.
Maybe I'm spoiled by mtg, with new cards coming out so often, but I like the idea of dnd 4th edition.

Hasbro would pump more money into GW. I think GW long passed the made by fans phase. But I also enjoy hollywood sitcoms too:)
On an unrelated matter, have you seen the Planeswalker rules? Pretty awesome, eh?

simonr1978
04-09-2007, 00:07

I first heard that GW was being taken over by Milton Bradley about Winter 1992/93, this seems to be one of those persistent rumours that changes in nature from from time to time (MB becomes WotC or Hasbro), but keeps the same general theme (Big, well known company is taking over GW). I'll believe this one when it happens, not before.

The Phazer
04-09-2007, 00:54
Thankfully this is nonsense, because Hasbro's management are institutionally incompetent on a level that makes GW look like Google.

Phazer

baphomael
04-09-2007, 02:20

As for LoTR - I've seen it played many times in GW stores (including the last time I was in one last week). It is a popular game, even if many Warseers don't want to accept it. The models are spectacular, even though I don't play I still have my favourite limited release models.

Lets get over this LoTR hatred - it is here to stay.

I'd like to actually play it, for a change, but even in Nottingham, spiritual home of GW, I havnt ever played a game of it since the initial Fellowship release. I know people who have LoTR minis, but no one ever plays a game.

sebster
04-09-2007, 03:18
It's another good ghost story. IIRC, a couple days ago there were people panicking and flailing their arms in the air because someone brought this up elsewhere on the forum.

*edit* I also might be imagining a conversation had with myself in my head, because I can't find that aforementioned thread now.

Ah, I see now. I didn’t realize that was another ghost story, stupid me.

Templar Ben
06-09-2007, 12:30
I first heard that GW was being taken over by Milton Bradley about Winter 1992/93, this seems to be one of those persistent rumours that changes in nature from from time to time (MB becomes WotC or Hasbro), but keeps the same general theme (Big, well known company is taking over GW). I'll believe this one when it happens, not before.

Funny. Both MB and WotC are owned by Hasbro now.

synapse
06-09-2007, 12:46
hasbro buying out GW can only be a good thing.

hasbro games have great online content, and contact with customers seems to be a big thing to them, which is great.

and im pretty sure they wont change the forumula of GW games and go for prepainted crap minis. theyre not idiots.

Damien 1427
06-09-2007, 16:46
Thankfully this is nonsense, because Hasbro's management are institutionally incompetent on a level that makes GW look like Google.

Phazer

Well, their UK wing is. One doesn't become one of, if not the, top toy manufacturers in the world by being staffed by incompetents. :p

Templar Ben
07-09-2007, 03:15
hasbro buying out GW can only be a good thing.

hasbro games have great online content, and contact with customers seems to be a big thing to them, which is great.

and im pretty sure they wont change the forumula of GW games and go for prepainted crap minis. theyre not idiots.

Well, I see them keeping GW stuff away from the Prepainted but I don't see them dropping their prepainted. They have 2 seperate lines going now (WotC minis and HeroScape) so I don't think they will add another. They may well do a reshuffle of product lines though (like having BL books and the RPGs fall under WotC and having some other lines fall under GW's brand).

Well, their UK wing is. One doesn't become one of, if not the, top toy manufacturers in the world by being staffed by incompetents. :p

They may become number one as Mattel has had a lot of issues around lead barbies. Barbies and Hot Wheels are what keeps Mattel at the top.

Zazz
07-09-2007, 05:32

from what i read in this very forum, GW did become the top wargame mini manufacturer in the world by being staffed by incompetents. :wtf:

grickherder
07-09-2007, 06:18
from what i read in this very forum, GW did become the top wargame mini manufacturer in the world by being staffed by incompetents. :wtf:

There was a distinct change in their approach after they became large. They might have been very competent at growing the business, but I question the current management's competence at running profitably and sustainably at their current size.

synapse
07-09-2007, 08:06
Well, I see them keeping GW stuff away from the Prepainted but I don't see them dropping their prepainted.

i agree with you. maybe theyll brand them all under the same banner, but im pretty sure they wouldnt dare try prepaint gW minis, besides the cost of completely redoing everything would be quite a lot i imagine!