PDA

View Full Version : Glade Guard on Sneak Peek!

Dr Death
11-04-2005, 18:32
Behold the first official picture of the new wood elves- Glade Guard (http://uk.games-workshop.com/sneakpeeks/warhammer/default.htm)

taer
11-04-2005, 18:37
Beautiful, except those damned half-helms. But since we have hooded heads to use anyway, I don't care anymore.

Though, since the arms aren't seperate, or don't appear to be anyway, this kills the idea that glade guard can also have spears. I suppose that all those old spear-elves can be used for the new eternal guard.

Ethereal Alpaca
11-04-2005, 18:42
Looks pretty nice, though they look a little "robin hoody". Anyway, shouldn't this be in rumors. *cue for Brimstone*

Sylass
11-04-2005, 18:48
Well, it's not really a rumour anymore, or is it?

I just closed the duplicate post in the Rumour forums...will add a link to this one, so that further discussion can take place here. :)

*edit*
[fantasy expert]

After thinking about this again, it might be worth it to move the thread...to collect the pics/discussions at one place. And seeing that the book isn't out yet, most discussions developing from this preview would fit nicely into the rumours section...

Fasten your seatbelts! We are MOOOOOOVING!!

[/fantasy expert] :p
*/edit*

---------

I really like the look of the miniatures and look forward to seeing more of the range.

A cookie for anyone who could tell me a bit more about the new book or supply me with more pics ;)

StugMeister
11-04-2005, 19:05
They look cool. oh, and they look a lot more 'Wood Elfy' too.

Brimstone
11-04-2005, 19:09
Looks pretty nice, though they look a little "robin hoody". Anyway, shouldn't this be in rumors. *cue for Brimstone*

Well I would have moved it but Sylass is the fantasy expert and I'll defer to him on this one.

Bit far away for a sneak peak aren't they?

Inquisitor Engel
11-04-2005, 19:30
Looking much better in green obviously. :)

Narandil
11-04-2005, 19:35
WOW, I agree Inquisitor Eagle

Inquisitor Engel
11-04-2005, 20:03
WOW, I agree Inquisitor Eagle
That's Engel. ;)

Rohirrim
11-04-2005, 20:35
Is it just me, or is that banner obscenely tall. It makes pikes seem short.

boogle
11-04-2005, 20:36
yet we can't even see the Carnie yet?, seems the financial results may speed up official pictures, so the desire can return

so I see Glade Guard are the new name for Archers?, makes sense

Odin
11-04-2005, 20:46
"Looks pretty nice, though they look a little "robin hoody"."

Not as "robin hoody" as the old models. I think they've done a pretty decent job of giving them a new style, separate from historical or fantasy precedents.

Ohman
11-04-2005, 21:00
Wasn't the new Wood Elves suppose to be very different from the old ones? More dark and primitive almost feral. The models look alright, although it's hard to tell on the picture, but they don't look that much better than say the Dark Elf or High Elf plastic.

I was hoping they would either choose to do the new Elves either more "barbaric" or perhaps more "fairy-like". This looks like neither, just some generic elves which could easily be fitted in to either the DE or HE range.

Ofcourse you can't judge the whole range by just one plastic set so I'm hoping the rest of the models will stand up better to the rumours I've heard.

By the way, does GW have someone working for them plowing through the internet 24/7? As soon as some new pictures pop up they end up as a sneak peek within a day.

boogle
11-04-2005, 21:05
well I suppose its to stop the 'poor quality' fan pics appearing all over the 'net

risK
11-04-2005, 21:17
After showing them on slides in the seminar and even some real minis it ain't that difficult to asume, that the pics will pop up in the internet somewhere soon... And hoping, that they would be ignored due to their superior photographing quality (can you fit more elves in a tinier space of the pic?) of their very own sneak peaks, is a part of rumour control.
Where is the manufacturer's proudness? Show them in a decent way!

Brushmonkey
11-04-2005, 21:18
Mmmmmm, loving it.

New Cult King
11-04-2005, 21:22
Very pretty indeed. I can see where they took a few cues from the LoTR line.

JerekKruger
11-04-2005, 21:31
That is enough for me to collect WE, I even think the half masks look quite cool, they add a certain sinister edge to the elves and give a distinct look.

Tom

BullBuchanan
11-04-2005, 21:42
These guys are just the glade guard don't forget. I think they look pretty wild and barbaric for archers. The half helms, some body paint, I can see them looking pretty sweet. The main models to look out for will be the wardancers IMO, they were the ones that had this characteristic the most in the last edition, and look for them to be even more so. I mean how dark can you make a model look without it looking evil? I think these are definitely more fearsome than DE and they're suppossed to be the real badboys of the Elf kingdom.

Not a big fan of the huge braids though, but I'll get over it.

lord_blackfang
11-04-2005, 21:55
That's Engel. ;)

Not Engle?

redemptionist15
11-04-2005, 22:53
Not Engle?

Im sure its engle! Thats what Guido tells me.:P

The new woodies look fantastic, i do wonder if the box comes with spears too. The only bad thing about seeing them is that it really makes me wanna collect them now!

Cypher
11-04-2005, 22:59
First up: how can anyone see anything in that picture, the models are tiny!

Second: I am liking this new range, seems to be a really cool design they've devised.

geto
12-04-2005, 00:34
Brilliant, simply brilliant. I guess my years of waiting and playing with my old wood elves have finaly paid off. Oh its been so many years :( . But theyre here now :D .

Lord Lucifer
12-04-2005, 02:00
No longer than the period between Empire army book releases :p

Detail?
Decent.
Concept?
The Phantom of the Opera idea is questionable, but otherwise good.

Mono-pose?
God DAMN IT!
Why must Space Marines be the only ones to enjoy full poseability?

Dargon
12-04-2005, 02:08
On Asur.org, there are some additional blurry pics from the seminar presentation...

They show that the Plastic Regiment can be assembled as either Glade Guard... or Scouts (same with hooded heads). :eek:

Looks like Glade Guard no longer get spears.
Also looks like Scouts are Core.

http://www.mopreme.com/we1.jpg
http://www.mopreme.com/we2.jpg
http://www.mopreme.com/we3.jpg

Just a thought...

EDIT: Ooops, missed them in the rumour round-up.

risK
12-04-2005, 06:39
http://svg02.hgkz.ch/WE/WEsneak01.jpg
A kind of close up here.
I fear that due to monopose (attached arm?) it may be rather difficult to add spears in the box... so is this opton gone or do we have to convert?
Or is the only elven option to field Winter/Eternal Guard (since most players did not used more than on block of them)?

I don't know, if this monopose thing really makes the hobby more attractive to youngsters and the assambly-lames... but hey, it's the conversion and paint junkies, that are a main force to keep this hobby alive, even if they don't buy the most, they simply generate more players with their work on excellent minis.

Jedi152
12-04-2005, 07:09
Thaks for posting the pic risK. For some reason, i see glade guard on the sneak peak frontpage, but when i open the window i still get Tenehuain! :mad:

thalamus
12-04-2005, 07:22
Could believe, they saw the not so good painted ones here on portent.net and decided that it is time to make things clear. i like them but does anybody know where historically we could find those halfmasks (north-eastern-european-tribes called Slav maybe)??

Jester
12-04-2005, 07:43
This SO means that I'll be spending a few hundred on toy soldiers this summer. Oh yeah, and probably also on some Warhammer Chronicles and Dwarfs with tactic hints - have to do my research if I want to return to the hobby after a few years' break, won't I?

Damn those Woodies, damn 'em all!

cheers, Jes

Nazguire
12-04-2005, 08:04
They look very good...not as feral as I thought they'd be, but that's probably due to the picture, not being able to see that much of them...

Either the way the WE seem to be coming along quite nicely...wait until I see the treemen to be convinced.

NetGuru
12-04-2005, 08:32
Thaks for posting the pic risK. For some reason, i see glade guard on the sneak peak frontpage, but when i open the window i still get Tenehuain! :mad:

For some reason the UK hasn't got pictures of them anymore, but you can go to the American website and they still have the pictures up.

shroud
12-04-2005, 08:43
I'm starring at them at the moment and I'm completely STOKED!! THESE ...MODELS ARE BEAUTIFUL (restrained from saying 'guys' :p)

Good work Games Workshop, even though I ain't a WE player, the wait has been worth it!!

risK
12-04-2005, 08:57
Hopefully the mourning here and elsewhere on the net on the quality of their sneak peak picture has caught some attention and they are going to take a closer, more decent pic. If so, thanks GW and hats off for reacting so promt, if not... I'd feel really unhappy with their customer relations.

Dr Death
12-04-2005, 09:42
(Going to post my thoughts now cos i didnt have time in the "rumour rush" to give my thoughts)

I quite like the new models but like many i feel somewhat cheated by the monopose models, it seems that GW are throwing away everything they worked so hard to acheive over practically all of my gaming career. Ive noticed the trouble with this as far as the beastmen plastics go, where you can only ever really acheive one pose, which remains "waiting for a bus".

The models themselves are quite cool, they are certainly more feral for the "elven hood "men" in tights" look they previously had, but without the tights they have all this bare exposed flesh which separates their "little green dress" from big leather boots, and, i have to say, reminds me terribly of Link from 'The Legend of Zelda'. Not a good look. :rolleyes:

All said and done though they are hugely more effective than the old models and help with the whole new look GW are trying to acheive to stop them being picked on for plagurising other peoples ideas. Unfourtunatly Warhammer FB doesnt quite have the fluff hook that 40k does and so i'll just content myself with playing the game.

Cant wait to see the sprues

Dr Death

Skelmgurn
12-04-2005, 11:34
How do you know they are are single posed arms and bodies? I dont see that in the pictures. The rank and file are all in traditional archer poses but the command all have their bows at different angles, very much like the arms are poseable in my opinion. I dont think these pictures on their own imply that there wont be spears. Does anyone know otherwise?
Also, really like the models.

Misfratz
12-04-2005, 11:44
They look great. I'd be interested to get a closer look at what they've done with the cloaks.

As to the 'monopose' debate. I can't tell you how annoying I find it to put together so many separate pieces for what are rank and file troops. I can appreciate that it makes it harder for conversions, but, due to them being plastic it isn't that hard to cut them up if you want to. Easier then with metal models. Plus they are hardly 'monopose' in the way that my old plastic halberdiers are.

Lord Lucifer
12-04-2005, 12:17
Skelm, there are other shots of the new Wood Elves out at the moment, not painted by the 'Eavy Metal team, but you can find them on a few forums, there's undoubtedly links here

They very much look monopose.

Misfratz, there are hardly overwhelming amounts of seperate pieces to put together in most sets
Empire troops, goblins, Dwarfs, Orcs, High Elves, Dark Elves, all have the same thing in common.
Two arms, a torso, and a head.
Cross reference this with the mono-pose Chaos Warriors who have two arms, a torso, and a head
Or the Saurus who have two arms, a leg, and a head
The Beastmen save on a few gluings, but that's it.
How many pieces do the Ogre Kingdoms figures come in?

And how godawful are those uniform regiments of Gnoblars?
*shudders*

It doesn't save you on gluing. It just screws you over if you want to cross different kits/pieces without having to re-sculpt limbs and other details out of the original plastic (you have to hack away a LOT of Chaos Warrior to get to that arm...)

Either multi-pose convertables or mono-piece convenience, don't pussyfoot around screwing over both camps

The boyz
12-04-2005, 12:45
I like them.Hopefully they are not just, one pose minatures but can have spears as an option.

Jedi152
12-04-2005, 13:32
From what weve seen so far i don't think GG get spears anymore.

From the box i presume you can make GG, which are the standard core troops, and have bows (and hence replace the 'archers' unit) or scouts, which have bows and hoods etc.

The eternal/winter guard take the position of the old GG.

Avian
12-04-2005, 13:52
How many pieces do the Ogre Kingdoms figures come in?
Nine (body, 2x shoes, head, gut plate, 2x arms, 2x hands) for a typical bull.

You're a bit off on some of the others, though. Most models are 5 parts (legs, torso, head, 2x arms), while some of the newer ones are four, having torso and legs sculpted as a single part. I guess the woodsies will be 5 part as well, I can't believe their bodies come in a single part with those cloaks.

At the moment it seems that two high priorities for the sculptors is to make sure the models rank up properly and that they look good as a unit, ease of converting seems to be quite low on the list (you can convert ogres, but it's a lot of greenstuffing).

Kul
12-04-2005, 13:59
I like them.. a bit more feral :D
Those other colors make a big difference..
Although I don't like hem being ranked up :(

Rohirrim
12-04-2005, 17:49
I plan on picking up at least two boxes almost just for conversion purposes.

Imbroglio
12-04-2005, 19:22
They're looking pretty snazzy to me... maybe an army to do in a year or so, once the hype is over and I have some money again! :)

-- Imbroglio

Sir_Glonojad
12-04-2005, 20:06
I am afraid I won't say anything new, but... they look much better painted in greens :D.

One question, though - how are Scouts going to differ from Glade Guard? By hooded heads only? This would be hardly enough, especially when I think about a previous such a casus (ie, Knights Errant).

Stouty
12-04-2005, 20:28
Not much really, which in some ways is good and very fluffy,in others a bit poo but its not that bad.
My main worry is the rules that they give them; they'll either be really beardy due to fearing for their lives after numerous threats from WE players, or really crap like all other elves have been so far.

BullBuchanan
12-04-2005, 20:53
Nine (body, 2x shoes, head, gut plate, 2x arms, 2x hands) for a typical bull.

You're a bit off on some of the others, though. Most models are 5 parts (legs, torso, head, 2x arms), while some of the newer ones are four, having torso and legs sculpted as a single part. I guess the woodsies will be 5 part as well, I can't believe their bodies come in a single part with those cloaks.

At the moment it seems that two high priorities for the sculptors is to make sure the models rank up properly and that they look good as a unit, ease of converting seems to be quite low on the list (you can convert ogres, but it's a lot of greenstuffing).

I consider being able to rank up a higher priority than poseability. My Ironbreakers are Monopose AND they don't rank up well. Hows that for ineffectiveness?

risK
12-04-2005, 22:17
From Static Tyrant on TMP (http://theminiaturespage.com/boards/msg.mv?id=41702)

I just saw the plastic sprues for the new Wood Elf army (which will come, in the usual way, as spearmen and archers in two seperate boxes) the other day - I had meant to make my own post about the figures, as they are really beautiful (I would be tempted to say 'best plastics yet') but then, this board isn't very GW-friendly and mightn't have appreciated the news.

With the almost-standard 16 figures per box, and at the usual GW price, these will be an excellent buy even if they don't include a command sprue - they may well, I just didn't see one and didn't think to ask at the time.

I would describe them as 'massively multipose'; everything is seperate (each fig 2 x arms, 1 x legs, 1 x torsos, 1 x head with a choice of helmeted, hooded, bare-headed etc, and that's before any "accessories" or other weapons) plus the box includes a plethora of 'bits' including seperate robes, sashes, quivers and what can only be described as large lettuce-like leaves that I think will act as an outer layer clothing (from the painted minis they had on the poster, this looks much better than it sounds - basically allowing for a lot of 'layering' of clothing that you couldn't achieve with a single casting due to not being able to use undercuts, etc).

The sprues include even more extras than usual - I noticed some small fairy-like creatures which may be a seperate 'swarm' type unit, or just for base decoration - the frames were literally packed to capacity unlike some of the more 'disappointing' releases I've seen where there seems to be a lot of unused space on the sprue.

Because the figs are not 'tied' to their cloaks/robes/etc they will be very easy to pose in any way you like and still have the appropriate flowing / hanging / windblown look. They will also be very easy to 'detach from their robes', if you decide you want a plainer look or even, gasp, want to use them in a historical or other fantasy army (I know I will be!).

Although I didn't have a model with me to compare sizes, they looked to have a slighter build which reminded me very much of the fine detail on the LOTR plastics. However, they seem taller than eg. the LOTR Elves so they will stil no doubt seem 'right' next to an Empire or Brettonian soldier - but my point is you could also use them alongside LOTR or any other 25mm figures without any real problems. Very versatile figures - you can put me down for several boxes just for conversion projects alone.

The release date is sometime in September, which seems a painfully long time away, but such are the drawbacks of such lovely sneak previews ahead of time.

IF this is true... OMG, OMG...
August come closer, now!

After inspiring the big pics (brownies from LAGD), the multipart cloak and the seperate head is for sure, seperate torso and arm could be, stringholding arm is more on the doubtable side though...

But a fully fleshed out sprue! OMG, OMG...

DrCamf
12-04-2005, 22:51
that does indeed sound very cool, always hoped that the WE would have lot of bits that would make the figures and any terrain for the army more intresting, really looking forward for this army.

Lord Lucifer
12-04-2005, 22:58
Multi-pose Wood Elf archers?

Sweet Jesus, I'm collecting a new army :D
Goodbye bank balance...
it makes me very, very happy... VERY happy

Avian, the Bretonnian Men at Arms/Bowmen may be less gluing, I forgot about them
However, for Chaos Warriors and Saurus Warriors, there's just as much gluing (the five I mentioned, 2x Arms, 1x Torso/Leg join, 1x Head on most standard sets)
Same number of arms, same number of heads, and one further attachment to the torso (that being the Lizzy's other leg, and the front of the Chaos Warrior torso to the back of the Chaos Warrior torso)
There's no real great difference in the number of parts you need to glue together on most of the kits, and ranking up is simple if you spend 5 seconds thinking about it
Just say to yourself "Right arm forward, left arm back, close to the body... hey look, it fits!" you'll have just as much ranking as the Chaos Warriors, just as easily, with the option of doing an arm swap/body swap quite easily of you want to

But on Woodies... I'm getting me some. Even if I don't collect the army, I'm getting me some now :D

Crisis
12-04-2005, 23:02
If such a high quality is consistent throughout the Wood Elves range, then I wait to see the Waywatcher models.

risK
12-04-2005, 23:03
OK, after studying the sneak peak biggerazation, even the stringholding, arrowgrabbing arm could be the same. So this post by the Static Tyrant seems to be indeed very relieable...
And then there won't be doubts left if it is the best ever GW plastic minis...
The waiting will be highly rewarded.

So even the two boxes for the same unit make sense (light armour and lot of space on the sprue to fill up with other goodies).

August come!

Dargon
13-04-2005, 00:22
From Static Tyrant on TMP (http://theminiaturespage.com/boards/msg.mv?id=41702) The parts description sounds very accurate with the models (such as "lettuce leaf" description of clothing)...

But, according to the pictures of GW's own presentation, the plastic regiment sets are...
1. Glade Guard (as either Glade Guard or Scouts)
2. Glade Riders
3. Dryads

There is no mention of another seperate set for Wood Elf Spearmen, so I would be wary of believing the rest of the information.

Just a thought...

risK
13-04-2005, 05:48
Glade Guard was mentioned once, yes, but since bows and spears seem to be both viable options for them with staying still as one unit... it could be still possible. I first didn't believe the multipose part either, but after closer inspection...
And since the sprues must be definately crowded with bits, space for spears and shields is getting rare, light armour wouldn't be WYSIWYG and people would be still able to convert armoured archer and unarmoured spearmen by mixing contents of the box. So to me it could, rather should be that way.

Renki
13-04-2005, 08:22
I think that when Static Tyrant saw the gladeguard-sprue, he just presumed that there will be separate box for spears, 'cause there wasn't any on the GG-sprue.

I hope I'm wrong, thought...

Avian
13-04-2005, 11:29
There is no mention of another seperate set for Wood Elf Spearmen, so I would be wary of believing the rest of the information.
Well, we know that there won't be a separate spearman box, so if this guy is correct there aren't any normal spearmen at all in the WE army. My guess is that he didn't see any spearmen, but just assumed that they would be a separate box, since the sprues contained no spears.

and ranking up is simple if you spend 5 seconds thinking about it
It's a LOT easier with newer sets than with the old ones. I own a set of the original Chaos Warriors and they do not look like a unit, even when ranked up. I managed to get my new gobbos to rank up by using some left over night goblin arms, for example. Otherwise the shields get in the way.

risK
13-04-2005, 11:37
Could, but shouldn't be that way round.
The models I'd like to see most are Wardancers... they've been always my favourites (well topnots, not the glamrockhair)

Lord Lucifer
13-04-2005, 14:16
It's a LOT easier with newer sets than with the old ones. I own a set of the original Chaos Warriors and they do not look like a unit, even when ranked up. I managed to get my new gobbos to rank up by using some left over night goblin arms, for example. Otherwise the shields get in the way.
If the new Chaos Warriors were sculpted with the same dimensions as the old Chaos Warriors, they wouldn't rank up
It's not because of posability. It's because the old ones were crap.
Hideous aesthetics, poor design, poor proportioning

The new Chaos Warriors, if posable, would be every inch as easy to rank as they are as mono-pose figures

Bubble Ghost
13-04-2005, 14:39
The minis are nice enough but I'm moderately annoyed they're still called "Glade Guards", which always seemed to me to be far too martial, not to mention a bit cuddly-sounding, for wood elves. I was crossing my fingers that the "Kithband Warrior" career from the new WFRP book was taken from the new-skool WFB wood elves, but apparently not. Oh well.

Brandir
13-04-2005, 18:06
I'm looking forward to ordering the Battalion box set as soon as it is available for advance order.

Anyone else think that these minis are heavily influenced by the LOTR Rangers of the North?

Alderhan
13-04-2005, 18:24
Wow, nice.
I hope I can resist the temptation of starting a woodie list.

Slyracoon
13-04-2005, 18:32
Well it looks like, after years of those God awful clones, Wood Elves are finally getting the plastics they deserve. I just hope Static Tyrant got it right, because it would be pretty pointless to make new plastics that retain the main problem of the old ones.

As for the lack of spears, to be honest if there wasn't a plastic unit with them as an option I for one wouldn't mourn the loss. I mean, how many WE players actually used more than one unit of the old Glade Guard? I didn't even use one, and isn't there rumour of a new elite infantry unit armed with spears? Eternal somethingorother?

oatish
14-04-2005, 06:34
What evr the case is, I am buying the new Wood Elves! If every army's next gen plastiks look that good... it'll be a good time to be a gamer.

oatish

Nazguire
14-04-2005, 07:29
I think that the Wood Elves are looking great, but it still far too early to decide whether they will be worth collecting or not.
Also, GW are in a bit of a predicament at the moment. The models will have to be near-perfect in order to appease the hordes or ravening WE fans that have had to wait.
The Dryads and Treemen will be the deciding factor for me whether the army is a viable collecting force.

Brandir
14-04-2005, 07:56
If the new Treemen models are poor, then I will use either my Treebeard models or the old Treemen models.

Thundergod
14-04-2005, 14:40
Does anyone remember Ral Partha's high elf line from 8 or so years back? The new Welvis faces seem to be remarkably similar. Overall I'm pretty pleased with the few pics of the new guys, not a fan of the half helm, but that may grow on me. only time will tell if I should have painted up the RP figs and called it good. . .