View Full Version : Nightwish, Lacuna Coil and Within Temptation

Rabid Bunny 666
27-08-2005, 21:08
so, any fans here?

just got into Lacuna Coil and Within Temptation today :D

Crube
27-08-2005, 21:22
Nightwish !!!!!!!!!!

Seen them every time they've been to the Uk so far...

Fave album has to be Oceanborn, but i love nearly all their songs,

In all honesty, I think they've overtaken Maiden as my favorite band...

Kaze
27-08-2005, 21:32
The 3 bands I discovered last year. I really enjoyed a song that passed sometimes in radio, but I didn't know what was the name and from which group it was. So a friend told me to get some albums either by Nightwish, Lacuna Coil or Within Temptation. Conclusion: the song was Running Up That Hill by WT.

However I became a huge fan of Nightwish after hearing all their albums. Tarja's voice is stunning and the drums in their music simply fabulous. It was funny because I never really liked "heavier" music like Metal and so on. But these three groups have changed that.

Pity I had to miss a concert this summer with WT and Nightwish. Let's hope they come to Lisbon sometime in the future.

Thoume
27-08-2005, 21:38
I've got Nightwish's first and last albums. As soon as I listened to the last few seconds of Nemo on Kerrang I though it was worth getting the album. I've slowly lost interest in the albums though.

Haven't heard of the other two though. The albums I'm waiting to get are Death on the Road by Maiden and anything by Blind Guardian and Hammerfall.

Gaebriel
27-08-2005, 21:39
Nightwish is brilliant. It's not my kind of music originally, but after a friend pushed his album collection into me, well... My favourite album is Century Child.

Archaon
27-08-2005, 21:55
Uhm.. just a little warning.

Never approach a true Metalhead claiming that either of these bands plays metal music. Might be better for your health :D

Cade
27-08-2005, 21:57
I am a huge fan of Nightwish.
I have all of their albums and DVDs, the best of which is Century Child, followed closely by Once.

Within Temptation are coming on in leaps and bounds, their latest album The Silent Force being one of the best albums of last year. Sure, they have a more commercial sound now but they can still rock out!

Lacuna Coil have been touring Comalies for 347 years now and it would be nice to get a new album. Soon.
Otherwise I'm going to get bored of hearing nothing but Heaven's A Lie.
In fact, I have.

Rabid Bunny 666
27-08-2005, 22:08
Lacuna Coil have been touring Comalies for 347 years now .

!

10 letter thingy

Arnizipal
27-08-2005, 22:29
Love Nightwish (saw them just last week at a festival) and Within Temptation.
My favorite Nightwish cd is Once, closely followed by Oceanborn. I don't own Century Child, but it's on my wishlist :)

Rabid Bunny 666
27-08-2005, 22:31
my mate lent me once, its awesome, i first heard of them on a Kerrang! cd, field of screams, and downloaded some tracks as a "taster" like i usually do for bands i want to try out

Baggers
27-08-2005, 22:33
I got into Within Temptation before Nightwish, I really must get round to getting into Luna Coil.

Kaze
27-08-2005, 22:36
Cade, have you listened to In a Reverie? It's a pretty good album, but not with the Comalies' style. The best thing is that Lacuna Coil's best song, IMO, is there: Falling Again.

Forgot to mention my favourite albums: Mother Earth from Within Temptation, Comalies from Lacuna Coil, Oceanborn from Nightwish (I just have to give in to Sacrament of Wilderness - the song is amazing). But I love all Nightwish' albums, so...

devolutionary
27-08-2005, 23:03
Lacuna Coil is nice, but Nightwish just rules. There are some fantastic metal riffs, though I wouldn't call it metal by any means. Great vocals, wonderful production - what is there to NOT like? :D

VanDoo
27-08-2005, 23:29
I just recently discovered Nightwish, and had to go buy 3 of their albums. Still looking for Ocean Born. :mad:

Sgt John Keel
28-08-2005, 00:10
Yes, bunny, yes.

By some strange reason they together with Metallica take up most of the space on my iPod mini.

As all apparently are listing their favourite Nighwish albums, I have to say I can't. I'd rather tell you which songs I like the most:

Beauty and the Beast, Bless the Childe (what, I haven't read that much Vampire), The Phantom of the Opera, Beauty of the Beast, Devil and the Deep Dark Ocean, Nightquest, Nemo, Romanticide, She is my Sin, Bare Grace Misery. There. ;)

Anyway, anyone know of other 'orchestral' metal bands? I need some new music.

As a side note, I like the Vampire the Masquerade soundtrack.

/Adrian

Cade
28-08-2005, 04:00
Try Tristania or Leaves Eyes.

Baggers
28-08-2005, 07:54
Thanks for the tip Cade

Kaaijer
28-08-2005, 08:43
I liked most studio albums produced by Within Temptation. They sound horrible live, though...

Arnizipal
28-08-2005, 09:05
I liked most studio albums produced by Within Temptation. They sound horrible live, though...
They're ok live. Sharon just get's a bit out of breath near the end of the set. :)

Kaaijer
28-08-2005, 09:30
They're ok live. Sharon just get's a bit out of breath near the end of the set. :)
Yeah I can image that. They also had technical difficulties during the performance I saw (Bospop 2005).
Plus there were 20.000 'unsupportive' Maiden fans present, wich must have been distracting... :D

Kaze
28-08-2005, 10:32
I think Sharon screws a bit in the songs of Silent Force, but she sings very well all of the songs in Mother Earth, specially Ice Queen.

devolutionary
28-08-2005, 11:11
Dammit, I need to track down some Leave Eyes. Ever since I got Nymphetamine, I've been meaning to listen to some of it =/

White Tiger
28-08-2005, 14:34
I have all but one of nightwish's cds.
Sooner or later I'll have that one too.

Venomizer
28-08-2005, 15:20
currently in the process of acquiring all the CD's for these bands..........Within Temptation being the latest of these I've developed a liking to

Cade
28-08-2005, 16:07
On the subject of Nightwish, I have a pair of tickets to their one and only UK show this year in London on 25th Sept.

I need to get rid of them cuz the friends that were going to come with me have decided to go to Games Day instead.

Idiots.

I'm asking face value (£17.50 each).

highmarshaldave
28-08-2005, 18:23
Spoons! This'll save you! (http://www.rathergood.com/spoonguard/)

Anywho. . . I really, REALLY, like Nightwish. Favourite album is gotta be Once. As some dude on amazon said "it was inevitable really, Nigthwish's budget being upped enough that they could hire a small orchestra." Haven't got any Lacuna Coil or Within Temptation yet. Embarking on a quest. . . now.

Dave out.

Yog Sogoth
28-08-2005, 21:04
I don't like metal at all. Nightwish and Iron Maiden are my only exceptions.

Cade
28-08-2005, 23:29
You don't like Metal but you like Iron Maiden?

You sound rather confused!

Flame Boy
29-08-2005, 21:33
Yes, bunny, yes.

By some strange reason they together with Metallica take up most of the space on my iPod mini.
/Adrian

I'm in the same boat there. I have most of the Nightwish tracks due to the 1997-2001 compilation, Nemo and Century Child and the Bless the Child single.

I bought a Lacuna Coil album this weekend, Unleashed memories, and co-incidentally I'm listening to it now.

Both seem to have their unique sound that I enjoy, but I've grown rather fond of Statix-X and Coal Chamber recently...

Oh, and for anyone that can be bothered, try google for "ten masked men"... They are a band that wreck songs I never liked anyway, It's hilarious... it sounds like some of the monsters from sesame street trying to sing... it's worth listening to for a few seconds just for a laugh.

Anyway, bringing my ramble back on topic, I think my favourite Nightwish albums are Century Child and Nemo, and Ocean Soul is probably one of my favourite songs. However, I have a soft spot for "ElvenBath", it's truly great when an unusual accent gives you a really wierd mental image... I'm imagining an Elf kinda surfing through a forest in a bathtub kicking ****... it's not my fault! :rolleyes:

anarchistica
01-09-2005, 23:11
I've been listening to Nightwish for a couple of years, they're definitely one of the more interesting bands out there. I like their Phantom of the Opera alot, as well as Ocean Soul, Bare Grace Misery, Dead Boy's Poem, Eclipse, Angels Fall First and 10th Man Down.

Within Temptation i know from their first album (Enter). They were the obvious reaction to the succes of The Gathering, there's always some bands following directly in the wake of the pioneers, thereby also sort of becoming pioneers. Their music was ok, though nowhere near the same level. Their second full album (let's not mention the EP) was a bit too Disney (In Perfect Harmony could've been from the Pocahontas Soundtrack :p) and somehow this helped them become really succesful. I'm not sure, but i don't think many Dutchies know they did a remake of their Ice Queen video with Revolver (http://www.revolver.se/download.html), who also did the two first Lacuna Coil vids. Their latest album thankfully shows that they're more interested in music than in money and it's alot more enjoyable than Mother Earth. I hope they'll continue this line.

Lacuna Coil was the first band i blindly bought all albums of. I started back in '98 with the self-titled EP and when In A Reverie was released i got it too, after which i decided i couldn't go wrong with them (it wasn't the nudity, i swear! :p). They're one of my favourite bands and though i do think Lacuna Coil was their best album, i like all of their work, they don't have any below-average songs (perhaps the Unleashed Memories version of Senzafine). I really hope they can keep up the good work and especially that they'll be doing more Italian songs. These (Trance Awake/Senzafine, Comalies) are my favourites along with Falling/Falling Again (the original i like better though the In A Reverie version has grown on me), When A Dead Man Walks, This Is My Dream, Humane, Reverie, Veins Of Glass, Cold Heritage, Distant Sun, A Current Obsession, Stars, Entwined and The Secret (it took me quite some effort to reduce the list to about 1/3rd of their songs :p).

If you like these bands you should love The Gathering. They started out 16 years ago as a Death Metal band and gradually they've moved to Atmospheric Rock, pretty much inventing Gothic Metal (with female vocals) along the way. Their older stuff is ok, if you like melodic-ish Death Metal with keyboards. New fans should stay clear of anything released before 1995, especially Almost A Dance (Niels Duffhues... :eyebrows: ). Mandylion and Nighttime Birds (the first albums with Anneke Van Giersbergen, their current vocalist) are most similar to Nightwish, Within Temptation, etc. How To Measure A Planet? and If_Then_Else are way more pop-ish (in a good way), more experimental (along the lines of Pink Floyd) than metal. Black Light District and Souvenirs take them into the direction of Mogwai and all those bands with really long names and songs. These guys are just musical evolution in progress, they're only getting better and more creative. They did two live albums too. Superheat was the first one, the first time i heard it i thought it was a studio album, the recordings are excellent. Sleepy Buildings was a semi-acoustic thing, like MTV Unplugged only with artistic freedom (they were afraid Staind would not work in the environment, for feths sake). It's brilliant, every technical detail is right and hearing those old songs sung instead of grunted is amazing. I just got their latest release, a Century Media compilation (they left the label a while ago) with b-sides, live gigs, demos and such. It could work as an introduction for those who are new to The Gathering, it's got alot of their post '94 work.

Other bands that you probably should try out are After Forever (Decipher/Prison Of Desire), Epica, Cranes, Autumn, Orphanage (By Time Alone especially), SiebenbŁrgen, Decoryah, Coph Nia, Opera IX, Icarus, Therion, Ayreon, Darkseed, My Dying Bride, Theatre Of Tragedy, Opeth, etc.

Koraath
02-09-2005, 10:02
Any nightwish is good as well as: lacuna coil, within temptation, epica, the gathering, draconian and nemesea

That whole group of bands just rock

x-esiv-4c
02-09-2005, 15:20
Pretty big Nightwish fan I suppose, the vocals are great.

Johnny Bravo
02-09-2005, 19:51
I do enjoy the occasional Nightwish, but for some reason I can't stand their male vocalist. No idea why. Ever Dream and Ocean Soul are probably my favorites from them.

Gonna have to investigate a couple of the bands I've seen mentioned here. Help me prioritize the search, which ones have female lead vocalists?

Heph
02-09-2005, 20:00
Me = uber huge fan of nightwish. Went to see them in febuary earlier this year. Got all of their albums aswell as the end of innocence dvd, which made them soo much better.

Favourite album has to be either Oceanborn, Wishmaster or Once... can't make up mind. All sooo good.

anarchistica
02-09-2005, 20:56
I do enjoy the occasional Nightwish, but for some reason I can't stand their male vocalist. No idea why. Ever Dream and Ocean Soul are probably my favorites from them.

Gonna have to investigate a couple of the bands I've seen mentioned here. Help me prioritize the search, which ones have female lead vocalists?
The Gathering, After Forever, Epica. I could send you some if you want.

Wez
02-09-2005, 21:13
I like lacuna coil and nightwish.:)

I saw lacuna coil live last year, but being honest they weren't anything special live. The recorded stuff is better imo.

-Wez

Sgt John Keel
02-09-2005, 21:18
I do enjoy the occasional Nightwish, but for some reason I can't stand their male vocalist. No idea why.

I'm still curious why they seem to be changing their male vocalists all the time. IMO, the guy from Beauty of the Beast (Christabel, see sig*) is the best, but the Finnish accent in Beauty and the Beast is funny to listen to... And the intro to Planet Hell almost make me laugh. Though maybe it's the same guy all along?

*I guess the sig should have answered the question all along.:p

/Adrian

Crube
02-09-2005, 21:23
I'm still curious why they seem to be changing their male vocalists all the time. IMO, the guy from Beauty of the Beast (Christabel, see sig*) is the best, but the Finnish accent in Beauty and the Beast is funny to listen to... And the intro to Planet Hell almost make me laugh. Though maybe it's the same guy all along?

*I guess the sig should have answered the question all along.:p

/Adrian

I think they sometimes use a guest vocalist ( like in the Beauty and the Beast and Pharoah Sails to Orion) but then use their bassist in stuf flike Planent Hell)

In their live shows, they tend to use Marco (therir bassist) unless hey have a 'special guest'...

Either way - I reckon they rock....

Arnizipal
02-09-2005, 21:55
Actually Nightwish switched bassists in 2001.
It's mentioned in the historyfile (http://www.nightwish.com/english/history.html) on Nightwish' website:

According to his own words, Tuomas wanted to end the band due to prolonged disagreements within the band.

Luckily, that didn`t happen. But something happened, a lot in fact. Sami Všnskš, who'd been with them since Oceanborn, had to leave. Marco Hietala, known from Tarot and Sinergy, promised to step in as a replacement for the next album and tour.

I think Sami used to be the male vocalist, until he left (or was kicked out of) the band. This would explain the difference in voice.

Cade
03-09-2005, 11:18
The band used guest male vocalists because Sami can't sing for ****!

Marco, however, is a perfectly good male singer and he's been used as the male vocal ever since he joined in 2001.

As you'll know if you've ever been to a Nightwish gig, Marco steps in to sing a few songs when Tarja is having her breaks.
And he's got a decent set of lung-pipes!

der_lex
24-03-2006, 10:15
Sorry for digging up fossils with this thread, but fans of these bands might want to check out the bands Leave's Eyes and Stream of Passion.

I completely second checking out After Forever... They have the same roots musically as Within Temptation, but haven't taken the blatantly commercial path, like WT did. (I absolutely hate the Silent Force... talk about dumbing down your music for the masses. A Dutch reviewer called it 'slick Hobbit-rock', and I don't think I could agree more)
Epica has always sounded like After Forever's little sister... they play the same genre, but just aren't as good lyrics- or vocal-wise.

Am looking forward to the Graspop festival here in Belgium next summer... The have The Gathering, Leave's Eyes and Lacuna Coil playing on the same day.
Happiness is mine.

Gae'Mot
24-03-2006, 11:01
Some of their tracks are pretty good, but most of the time it's pop-gothic.

Within temptation started too look too 'nu-metal' to me (for example: "stand my ground" can easily be confused with evanescence, wich is basicly the most blatant commercial rape of gothic rock) and Nightwish has become scandinavia's biggest export-product besides abba and ikea. Besides Within Temptation isn't the best dutch gothic-band: I suggest you try After Forever, they are (in my humble opinion^^) a lot better.

But then again, I'm more into things like The strokes/Millionaire/Arctic monkeys etc...

edit: + I agree with der_lex^^

der_lex
24-03-2006, 11:38
Did you go see After Forever when they played in Hof ter Loo a few months ago, Gae'Mot? They played a really good set there...

Gae'Mot
24-03-2006, 11:56
Did you go see After Forever when they played in Hof ter Loo a few months ago, Gae'Mot? They played a really good set there...Haven't been there for quite a while:/
The only time I saw them live was at graspop (I think 2002).

Sgt John Keel
24-03-2006, 15:22
Have to recommend Collide and L'‚me Immortelle too, though they are somewhat different.

Anyway, just a week to Karmacode! :)

/Adrian

Yorkiebar
24-03-2006, 15:25
Nightwish are completely awesome. I've listened to some Lacuna Coil and Within Temptation, but haven't bought any of their albums so far.

anarchistica
27-03-2006, 01:16
Anyway, just a week to Karmacode! :)
Don't get your hopes up. It gave me a headache the first time i listened to it and some people -including me- have started to call the band "Lakorna Coil"...

neXus6
27-03-2006, 01:25
Nightwish can be pretty okay at times but at others there songs just arn't that good.
Lacuna Coil would be brilliant if they got rid of that guy that tries (badly) to also sing, he ruins a lot of the songs.
Lakorna Coil, I agree they've got some very Korn like base in Our Truth the only new song I've heard, I do like it and I particularly like that song cause you can pretty much never hear the male singer. :D
Within Temptation are pretty hit or miss depending on the song as well from what I've heard of them, I've liked some songs, not really been that bothered.

It's kind of a shame all the songs by these bands that I like I really really like, but as far as I've heard none of them have a whole album I like. :p