PDA

View Full Version : Destroy Cadia

Shibboleth
02-09-2007, 14:33
If I understand correctly the Cadian Gate is the only stable route out of the Eye of Terror, which is why that way is always chosen for Black Crusades, etc. It's thought that this is because of the Necron Pylons dotted all over Cadia and some of the surrounding Planets/Systems that somehow holds back the Warp... :eyebrows:

So, instead of having millions of IG troops, dozens of SM Chapters, Naval Fleets, etc. all guarding this route, why don't they just blow up Cadia, and destroy all the Pylons? :cool: That would seal the Eye off, so that Cadia is as safe as any other place around the other sides of the Eye.

Am I missing something?

Inquisitor Leet
02-09-2007, 14:39
I believe that they briefly touched on the subject in one of the Eisenhorn novels.

****SPOILER POSSIBILITY****

Pretty much a rogue Inquisitor was trying to destroy the pylons, the theory was that if the pylons were destroyed the eye of terror would close. But no one knew what would really happen. It could close, or the pylons could be the only thing keeping the eye of terror in check and if they were destroyed it could expand uncontrollably.

-Inquisitor Leet

ryng_sting
02-09-2007, 14:42
Inquisitor Quixos planned to build MORE pylons to supplement those on Cadia, claiming that they would shut the Eye forever. No one knows for sure what would happen if the pylons were to be destroyed. Not even Abaddon dared to destroy them, so I doubt the Imperium will.

Shibboleth
02-09-2007, 14:48
Ok, thanks. I guess it pays to read BL. ;)

Dalenator
02-09-2007, 16:23
Inquisitor Quixos was trying to create more pylons but then charge them up with psychic energy from a bunch of Alpha level psykers.

Savior Angel
02-09-2007, 16:27
I highly doubt they will destroy Cadia. One does not bear to think of what will happen. Maybe the EoT will be fully opened or it'll get smaller or close altogether.

Damien 1427
02-09-2007, 17:03
I'd say the Pylons keep the place in check. Perhaps they're what makes that area navigatable? So if you destroyed them, it'd make travel in and out practically a death sentence.

It makes sense, but it's too much of a gamble for the Imperium. The only ones who know what those damned things do is who built them, and I doubt they'll be willing to tell.

Nerak
02-09-2007, 17:20
even more importantly is that if Abaddon (or any other bad guy) would destroy Cadia then the "Cadian gate" would probably dissapear and then there would be no safe route for ships to travel out of or into the eye of terror. The chaos marines probably can't take that risk.

LordXaras
02-09-2007, 17:27
In a more Imperial manner of thought:
Destroying Cadia would collapse the structure and economy of the Segmentum Obscurus to 100%.
1) In the event of a sudden expansion of the Eye (which seems quite likely to me, judging from how the Pylons apparently operate), warp travel within a substantial part of the segmentum would become nigh-impossible, cutting off hundreds or even thousands of worlds from the Imperium.
2) I estimate that at least 50-60% of the Obscuran worlds live to supply the Cadian warmachine. This is not only tithes, but also private enterprises such as traders and entire planetary economic systems. This sudden economic collapse might lead to uprisings and anarchy on many worlds, meaning that military forces will have to be spread and effectively coordinated across a segmentum that is falling apart.
3) The segmentum Obscurus and EoT area in particular has a very high density of Space Marine homeworlds, which might all be lost if the eye was to rapidly expand.

The Guy
02-09-2007, 17:53
But look on the bright side..No more cadian 8th armies :D

The pestilent 1
02-09-2007, 17:56
On the other hand, The Cadian gate is by no means the only way out - Most reliable yes- you knock that out and the legions of chaos find other ways.
Suddenly one sector to be defended becomes every damn inch of space around a Spatial anomoly Tens of thousands of light years in Diameter...

Chilltouch
02-09-2007, 18:01
Without the pylons, the Eye of Terror might as well just expand.

LordXaras
02-09-2007, 19:35
On the other hand, The Cadian gate is by no means the only way out - Most reliable yes- you knock that out and the legions of chaos find other ways.
Suddenly one sector to be defended becomes every damn inch of space around a Spatial anomoly Tens of thousands of light years in Diameter...
Indeed. One of the strongest reasons to maintain the Cadian gate is that it is the easiest place to defend. The chaos fleets have the Gods of their side, meaning that they have a marginally easier time navigating the cascading unreality of the Eye, but they still prefer the Gate as mode of exiting the Eye.

The pestilent 1
02-09-2007, 21:47
Without the pylons, the Eye of Terror might as well just expand.

Judging my the Necrons building more of them in the Sentinal worlds it is a distinct possibility at that.

winter has ended
02-09-2007, 21:56
i thought it was well known that the necrons built them to stop the eye expanding???
with out them the eye would be a lot bigger which is why thewy were built
you can prove this using eye of terror story stuff, as they started to crack lots when abbadopn attacked due to the amount of chaos

templar1013
02-09-2007, 23:06
Um, correct me if Im wrong (I probably am) but werent the necrons asleep before the EoT was created?

One more thing, would it be possible for Abbadon to travel straight to Terra in the warp and bypass Cadia?

LordXaras
02-09-2007, 23:55
I am of the opinion that the Pylons were constructed during the War in Heaven (C'tan vs Old Ones) as a means to confine the Eldar and Old ones to their core worlds and restrict their ability to use the webway, but might also have been a foundation for the C'tan great plan to forever seal the warp from realspace. There were probably more worlds with Pylons within what is now the EoT, but they were destroyed (either by the Eldar during their Imperial Age, or at the birth of Slaanesh, unable to resist the amazing psychic shockwave if they were closer to the epicentre).

Baaltharus
03-09-2007, 00:51
Um, correct me if Im wrong (I probably am) but werent the necrons asleep before the EoT was created?

One more thing, would it be possible for Abbadon to travel straight to Terra in the warp and bypass Cadia?

Theortically, yes. In reality no. Fleets can still engage each other in Warp Space, it just has alot more risk involved, kinda like having a fight at sea in the middle of a huge storm with the water infested with all manner of predators. Not only this but the longer you stay in the warp the greater the chances of being smashed apart by warp storms. A trip from the eye to Terra would see either the whole fleet destroyed or a significant chunk of it left in ruin (probably the latter).

Not only this but a fleet making such a prolonged warp jump would end up being surrounded by several other Imperial fleets and blown to scrap metal.

Acolyte of Bli'l'ab
03-09-2007, 04:46
people seem to forget the Tomb Spyders. They always seem to be awake maintaining the Tomb complexes for their sleeping brethren. So my opinion would be that it was Spyders that built the pylons..and why not ? they can fix stuff, so why not keep some awake with orders to build stuff too ? I'm sure some Lords may of stayed awake too.

Shibboleth
03-09-2007, 09:46
i thought it was well known that the necrons built them to stop the eye expanding???
with out them the eye would be a lot bigger which is why thewy were built
you can prove this using eye of terror story stuff, as they started to crack lots when abbadopn attacked due to the amount of chaosI was assuming the Pylons only existed at the Cadian Gate, and that the edges of the Eye are just naturally too rough to navigate, like a warp sea crashing on the 'rocks' of realspace sort of thing. I didn't realise they actually surround the entire EoT to hold it back ...or do they?
Is there any confirmation of this?

If they do surround the entire Eye then what makes Cadia so special / calm?

The Guy
03-09-2007, 11:02
Theortically, yes. In reality no. Fleets can still engage each other in Warp Space, it just has alot more risk involved, kinda like having a fight at sea in the middle of a huge storm with the water infested with all manner of predators. Not only this but the longer you stay in the warp the greater the chances of being smashed apart by warp storms. A trip from the eye to Terra would see either the whole fleet destroyed or a significant chunk of it left in ruin (probably the latter).

Not only this but a fleet making such a prolonged warp jump would end up being surrounded by several other Imperial fleets and blown to scrap metal.

But surely the gods have some control over the warp? So they could allowed abadons fleet to get their relatively unscathed.

Voltaire
03-09-2007, 11:10
The thing about Cadia over other places is that the Warp extends and retracts in other places because of how volatile the whole place actually is. The difference with Cadia could be, that the Pylons preventing the expansion of the Warp mean that it is a fixed beacon, a lighthouse in the Warp if you will. When you set sail for Cadia you know exactly where it is going to be and exactly how long it is going to take you to get there. This is not true of any other point in the warp and surrounding space. You could pack for a week and not come out for a month.

Thats my theory anyway.

Baaltharus
03-09-2007, 13:58
But surely the gods have some control over the warp? So they could allowed abadons fleet to get their relatively unscathed.

No, they don't have control over it as the warp as it is a reflection of emotion many of which are in polar contrasts to the Gods of Chaos. It could be said that the Chaos Gods can manipulate the warp in many ways and if they pool their collective might this control can be quite significant but such hasn't been seen the Horus Heresy (to my knowledge).

Theres a warp storm/rift referred to as the Storm of the Emperors wrath as it was responsible for destroying a large traitor fleet. As such if the Chaos powers can manipulate the warp then it is not inconceivable that the Emperor could do the same.

blackcherry
03-09-2007, 14:56
the construction on the pylons i have no idea over, though if the necrons did construct it, there is a bit of evidence to suggest that the deciever may have created it, as in the necron codex it explains that he has been awake for an untold amount of time and has helpe create many of the imperoiums worst disasters, such as the gothic war, in an attempt to aid his own schemes. For all we know, he could have created the pylons, as though is is one of the weakest of the C'tan, I sti;; recon that it would be within his power.

LordXaras
03-09-2007, 15:24
I really don't see him prancing around erecting large obelisks on his own right in the centre of the Eldar Empire.

The pestilent 1
03-09-2007, 16:54

You seem to be under the impression that they care?
Surely their attitudes give you an idea.

"Khorne cares not from whence the blood floes"

Slaanesh overloads her minions with so much sensation that nothing can reach them anymore (Sure. They get frisky with it, but they feel nothing)

Tzeentch is probably the most Spawn happy.

Nurgle strikes his own peeps down with disease, and is the loving one amongst them.