PDA

View Full Version : 2000k Ogre Army list

KnightGriffon05
02-09-2007, 15:44
this is just my second army list with Ogres. I'm still a noob so dont flame me...please.

Army List:

Lords

 Tyrant (200) {Mista Fat}
o Luck Gnoblar (5)
o Heavy Armour (6)
o The Tenderiser (50)
o Cathayan Jet (30)
o Gnoblar Thiefstone (15)

 Butcher (130) {Tal Laham}
o Power Stone (25)
o 2 Tooth Gnoblars (10)
o Thiefstone (15)

 Butcher (130) {Tal Hashish}
o Bangstick (25)
o Thiefstone (15)
o 2 Tooth Gnoblars (10)

Core

 4 Bulls (140) | Tal laham
o Bellower (10)

 4 Bulls (140) | Tal hashish
o Bellower (10)

 3 Bulls (105)
o Bellower (10)

 4 Ironguts (192) | + Mista Fat
o Standard Bearer (20)
o Bull Standard (20)

 3 Ironguts (144)
o Bellower (10)

Special

 3 Leadbelchers (165)

 3 Yhetees (195)
o Greyback (20)

Rare

 2 Gorgers (150)

1997 points

Necronoxz
03-09-2007, 19:17
your troops are to small so try to make bocks from 5 or more ;)
realy if you come to a large group of knights or unit's with high str and T you realy go and get kicked ;)

Kadrium
04-09-2007, 18:37
your troops are to small so try to make bocks from 5 or more ;)
realy if you come to a large group of knights or unit's with high str and T you realy go and get kicked ;)

Don't listen to this. Don't field ogres in units larger than 3 or 4. Ogre units need to work together to set up flank charges with mulitple small units. If you throw a big block of ogres by itself against a big block of infantry, you lose to the static CR of your opponent. Rank bonuses and outnumber and standards put you in a 4-5 CR hole that is very difficult to crawl out of.

Two small units of ogres on a frontal and flank charge eliminate the rank bonus of your opponent, plus give you a flank bonus, and you start out combat on even footing with a very good chance of winning.

Don't bother with the Cathayan Jet. A wyrdstone necklace is much better. If you put your tyrant in a unit of 3 ironguts, he should rarely take any wounds from magic anyway.

Only one character in your army can carry gnoblar thiefstones, though that character may take more than one. Generally, they're not worth bothering with. Once your opponent figures out where your thiefstones are, they just blast the rest of your units with their magic, and the MR does you no good.

Power stones and tooth gnoblars are not really needed for gut magic. Since you have two butchers, you can only cast any given spell twice in a magic phase. Two dice is generally sufficient to cast on a 6+, so the powerstones are just overdoing it and giving you a higher chance of miscast - which is very harsh for ogre casters, more so than most armies.

Tooth gnoblars are just barely above totally useless. If you use 1 die to cast and roll a 1 or 2, you fail to cast regardless of modifiers, due to the minimum 3+ to cast rule. If you didn't roll a 1 or 2, you didn't need the tooth gnoblar.
If you tend to use 2 dice to cast, a 2 is a miscast, regardless of modifiers, so you again did not need the tooth gnoblar. Any other roll is a successful cast.

If you want the magic protection badly, instead of the thiefstones, just take dispel scrolls. A skullmantle is also a handy item on your 2nd butcher. All braingobbler panic checks, or panic due to casualties from his bonecrunchers, or break tests from combat's he is involved in (assuming you put him in a unit of ogres, which you should) are at -1 Ld.

At 2k, in a highly competative list, I try to squeeze in a 3rd butcher with a couple more dispel scrolls. If its a friendly list, stick with 2.

You can cut down on some of your bulls. Units of 3 are plenty. Bulls should be used as charge bait, flank chargers, and sometimes fodder. Keep them naked, with bellowers to help rally after charge baiting, and no more than 3 units tops.

Ironguts should outnumber your bulls by a unit or two, most likely, especially if you're also including other units like leadbelchers and yhetees that can serve as flankers and support. Just the standard bearers is enough upgrades for them.

Drop the bull standard. Don't spend points increasing your bull charge. A smart general will see it coming and either flee from it, or move up toward you close enough that you're too close to get it. Bull charge is a nice perk for ogres, it's great when it happens that you get it, but its not something you should count on or spend any points improving. Use the points for a standard on another unit of ironguts.

2 leadbelchers is a big enough unit, you don't really need a 3rd. The cannons are best used to provoke charges from cavalry. The leadbelchers can move 6 inches, and fire 12, giving them an effective striking range of about 18 inches. This means that cavalry can't simply ignore them and move around them, so your leadbelcher cannons are basically for goading people into charging them so they can flee and rally. 2 belchers is enough to deny a rank bonus on a flank attack, so two 55 point models is really more than enough points spent on them. Save the other points for ironguts, or some lookout gnoblars to help protect your characters.

You can use the two bulls you drop, plus the points saved from the leadbelcher, to buy two more ironguts. Take one out of the unit of 4, add the two you just bought and field 3 units of 3 of them w/standard and lookout.

Yhetees are a fickle unit. They don't generally work for me, but I won't go so far as to tell you not to take them. They have their uses. Suffice to say I consider them somewhat effective but fairly overpriced.

Do yourself a favor, and drop the greyback. All ogre champion upgrades are horribly overpriced for what they provide. 20 points and all you're adding is one single attack. No extra wounds, weapon skill, toughness, strength.. just 20 points for 1 attack.
If you were to buy two champ upgrades, you would have spent 40 points to get 2 attacks added to your army. A bull with extra hand weapon costs 39, and has 4 attacks and 3 wounds.

The two gorgers are a great choice.

The thing to avoid with ogre lists is spending silly points. Keep the unit/hero upgrades to a minimum and just field a lot of small units of bulls and ironguts, with a sprinkling of 2 man leadbelcher teams.

Ogre units must work in concert to win combats. One large block of ogres will get flanked or just overwhelmed by static CR due to rank bonuses. They'll end up running off and get run down by some weenie spearmen or the like. Lots of small units of ogres can support eachother with flank charges to deny rank bonuses, and have a much better chance at winning combats.

Even if you cant fit in a flank charge, I'd rather have 2 units of 3 ogres on a front charge than one unit of 5+. At least then you get two chances to pass a break test when you lose that combat. :P

fubukii
04-09-2007, 18:52
^ he speaks the the truth run ogres in small units, you get more deployment choices so you can see where your enemy will be, also more units = more chances to flank. THe only downside is they become slightly easier to panic, but oh well you have so many units who cares if you lose a few!

Necronoxz
04-09-2007, 19:53
^ he speaks the the truth run ogres in small units, you get more deployment choices so you can see where your enemy will be, also more units = more chances to flank. THe only downside is they become slightly easier to panic, but oh well you have so many units who cares if you lose a few!

my friend play's ogre's, my brother play's ogre's, My father play ogre's...

Realy if they play agains my VC, WE or HE and they play in small untit's They are screwed... If they play in lager unit's sometimes I get in problems... To manny and heavy attack's on my head ;) So thats why I say play them in lager unit's

Ogre's are verry easy to attack in the flank or rear... becouse they are big and they are slow... so the chance that a ogre player attack me in the flank or rear is verry little ;)

fubukii
04-09-2007, 21:03
Actually vs VC multiple small units of ogres is great they dont need fear to charge or flank you, hit on 3s wound on 2s. so When he gets 3 ironguts on your flank and front, thats 6 impact hits at str4, and 18 str 6 attacks (12hits like 10 wounds) so he will be at a combat rez of like 10+ while you start out at banner and maybe outnumber after he has attacked (so 2) Wes same deal the big unit will just get flanked and ran down, same with he.

The key with small units of ogres is not just charging recklessly but you can also use a small 3 man bull unit to redirect a infantry block allowing you to gain a flank with more ogre units. As for how the list would go a good sample list would be something like the following.

2000 Pts - Ogre Kingdoms Roster - Unnamed

Tyrant (1#, 306 Pts)
1 Tyrant @ 306 Pts
General; Ogre Club; Heavy Armor; Luck-Gnoblar (x1); Causes Fear
1 The Tenderiser
1 Wyrdstone Necklace
1 Longstrider

Butcher (1#, 180 Pts)
1 Butcher @ 180 Pts
Hand Weapon; Causes Fear
1 Hellheart
Butcher (1#, 180 Pts)
1 Butcher @ 180 Pts
Hand Weapon; Causes Fear
1 Dispel Scroll
1 Dispel Scroll

Bulls (3#, 139 Pts)
3 Bulls @ 139 Pts
Bellower Mus; Ogre Club; Ironfist; Light Armor; Causes Fear

Bulls (3#, 139 Pts)
3 Bulls @ 139 Pts
Bellower Mus; Ogre Club; Ironfist; Light Armor; Causes Fear

Ironguts (4#, 202 Pts)
4 Ironguts @ 202 Pts
Bellower Mus; Great Weapon; Heavy Armor; Causes Fear

Ironguts (3#, 144 Pts)
3 Ironguts @ 144 Pts
Great Weapon; Heavy Armor; Causes Fear

Ironguts (3#, 144 Pts)
3 Ironguts @ 144 Pts

Ironguts (3#, 144 Pts)
3 Ironguts @ 144 Pts

Ironguts (3#, 144 Pts)
3 Ironguts @ 144 Pts

Gorger (1#, 75 Pts)
1 Gorger @ 75 Pts
Causes Fear; Killing Blow; Unbreakable

Gorger (1#, 75 Pts)
1 Gorger @ 75 Pts
Causes Fear; Killing Blow; Unbreakable

Gnoblar Trappers (8#, 48 Pts)
8 Gnoblar Trappers @ 48 Pts
Hand Weapon; Sharp Stuff; Scouts; Skirmishers

Gnoblar Fighters (20#, 40 Pts)
20 Gnoblar Fighters @ 40 Pts
Hand Weapon; Sharp Stuff

Gnoblar Fighters (20#, 40 Pts)
20 Gnoblar Fighters @ 40 Pts
Hand Weapon; Sharp Stuff

Total Roster Cost: 2000

Now what u do is you deploy the 2 20 man gnoblar units first in both corners of your deployment edge at the rear of the table so they can contest/claim the corner, and plus you just put down 2 units so your enemy has to put 2 down as well, then you start deploying your ogres so that you can use your movement and multiple units to your advantage, alternative you can replace the gorgers with man eaters but the gorgers are great for killing warmachines if they come in.

Kadrium
04-09-2007, 23:00
Ogre's are verry easy to attack in the flank or rear...

Probably because everyone you know fields a small number of very large units. Nothing protects their flanks and there's a lot of open table space for you to move your flankers into. A large number of small units eats up a lot more lateral space and they protect eachothers flanks.

becouse they are big and they are slow...

Are you sure it was ogres you played against? Cause the Ogres that I play can march/charge 12 and I hardly call that slow.

so the chance that a ogre player attack me in the flank or rear is verry little ;)

Especially if they field a small number of big units. I suspect that the people you know who play ogres probably suck at it.

daGreatMaw
16-09-2007, 01:56
if its cool with the ppl u play with, maybe add a rhinox rider unit in place of a gorger? those things are hard! they tend to draw all the artillery fire but at T5 and 5 wounds the can take i few hits before the reach CC