PDA

View Full Version : Eldar Underrated Poll

RobbyJamal
02-09-2007, 21:40
I personally think that the Eldar are of the GamesWorkshop's greatest invention. But that is just me. The Eldar have been played in the shadows for too long, I think. But I want to know what you think. Reply with your thoughts and why you think them. I'm here all day.

lord_blackfang
02-09-2007, 22:20
Sorry, but I think they're just Elves in space. Long-lived, ancient, artistic race on the decline. Nothing new here, keep moving.

Randy
02-09-2007, 22:31
Eldar are really just space elves - they even look like them. Space elves with psychic powers. And the ability to screw over the whole universe once every few thousand millenia..

Oh and bitching about the only people keeping their mess in check, can't forget that :P

I am a fan of eldar fluff though personally -honest..

The_Outsider
02-09-2007, 22:39
I think the necron mini range is the best GW have ever done.

Thus me > you.

In B4 "NO U"

Bregalad
02-09-2007, 22:46
I am still undecided, if GW's ideas stolen from Tolkien (Space Elves, Space Orks, Ogryn, Space Dwarves), Alien (Tyranids), Terminator (Necrons), Macross (Tau), Starship Trooper (Imperial Guard), or Star Wars (Space Marines) are their best "inventions":rolleyes:

PMTN
02-09-2007, 22:48
Eldar are my first army, so they hold a place in my heart.

But they will always be Clowns in space

Thus me > you.

In B4 "NO U"

I also have to agree, and am waging a Necron vendetta against warseer to get the Mighty Star gods the respect they deserve.

LONG LIVE CRONS!

TheEndIsHere
02-09-2007, 22:55

Thus me > you.

In B4 "NO U"

I also have to agree, and am waging a Necron vendetta against warseer to get the Mighty Star gods the respect they deserve.

LONG LIVE CRONS!

I completly agree all the other armies except for Eldar/dark andnids look like they were grease fed to be REALLY fat look how wide a human and ork limbs look like.

But with eldar and Dark is they really are jsut crap so we don't give them ponits for being slim.

And tyranids are cool but get owned by necrons...

you guys are awesome... NECRONS OWN!!!

Short live necrons! (but we'll be back anyways so it counts as long live!)

D-End

lord_blackfang
02-09-2007, 22:55
Starship Trooper (Imperial Guard), or Star Wars (Space Marines)

Don't you have these two backwards? :p

Bregalad
02-09-2007, 23:27
Actually Starship Trooper and Star Wars were inspiration for both, Starship Trooper also for Tyranids (bugs). I wanted to keep the post short ;).
But have a look here for more detailed information:
http://ca.geocities.com/crazy40kguy/namesandhomages.html .

Starchild
03-09-2007, 00:34
Art students can appreciate that Eldar are more than just "Elves in space." Eldar are inspired by the art of the ancient Near East (Egypt, Sumer, Akkad, Babylon, Assyria, etc.) Jes Goodwin's cruise down the Nile in 1989 has a lot to do with that.

In any game system or gaming universe, it doesn't get much better than high-tech martial artists with a Greek/Egyptian flavour.

Off-Topic:

Actually Starship Trooper and Star Wars were inspiration for both, Starship Trooper also for Tyranids (bugs).Add to that a lot of inspiration from Dune-- The Emperor, Sardaukar (Space Marines), the Kwizatz Haderach (Farseers), etc. Also, Calidan (Caliban), Salusa Secundus (Baal Secundus).

Polonius
03-09-2007, 01:12
I love the eldar. I think teh Falcon is still among the best kits in 40k, the new aspects are incredible, especially the DA. The jetbikes have aged better than the other bikes from late 2nd edition, and the warlocks/seers are incredibly rich in detail.

The background is amazing, with multiple craftworlds all having culture and differing styles of warfare. The concept of spirit stones and the infinity circuit add a touch of class, that while probobly not original, really makes the eldar special.

P.S: I always point out, in any discussion of where GW mined their ideas from, that the Horus Heresy itself is cribbed from Paradise Lost, a little paperback from 400 years ago...

Devil-Tears
03-09-2007, 01:55
What is so cool about necrons anyway? Personally, they're pretty much tomb kings....in one color.....

carlisimo
03-09-2007, 02:44
Aren't they actually older than the Tomb Kings army? They're still obviously based on Egyptian undead either way, but they've been around since around 1997. And they can look great in other colors.

As for Eldar, they were my first army too, I'll always love them. Space Elves, yes, but they've always had a different feel than any of the Elven armies. The oriental influences in the older models had a lot to do with that, but even though they've moved away from that they're still unique, and awesome. Tons of great fluff, and some mysteries remaining. The galaxy would be a duller place without them.

Darkangeldentist
03-09-2007, 02:45
I like Eldar but don't see them as particularly unloved. Like so many 40K armies they deserve more attention but they aren't the least kindly looked upon by GW.

They have some very cool mini's and nice background. Good rules and plenty of scope for individual expansion. Much more than the Dark eldar have recieved and the Orks. (Though the latter will be rectified soon.)

boltjimmi
03-09-2007, 02:52
What is so cool about necrons anyway? Personally, they're pretty much tomb kings....in one color.....

Heresy! necrons are METAL tomb kings. with awesome guns.:p

Warp Zero
03-09-2007, 03:11
I like Eldar but don't see them as particularly unloved. Like so many 40K armies they deserve more attention but they aren't the least kindly looked upon by GW.

They have some very cool mini's and nice background. Good rules and plenty of scope for individual expansion. Much more than the Dark eldar have recieved and the Orks. (Though the latter will be rectified soon.)

As far as the game is concerned. Yeah, the Eldar are no longer in the fraternity of GW's neglected children. Fluffwise...or rather, novels featuring non-Imperials, I'd would be happy to see more variety out of the Black Library.

Unfortunately, the Eldar aren't neglected here either, its just that all the Eldar stuff is written by C.S. Goto and therefore, its similar to having nothing being written for Eldar fans. Overall, I'd like to see non C.S.Goto written Eldar novels, and some other novels covering other armies too.

I would love to read a Ork novel where the main characters and viewpoint is from the side of the Orks. It could be semi-humorous like the Cain novels. I mean, having the bad guys be main characters isn't a new thing to the Black Library. Storm of Iron comes to mind. The upcoming Dark Apostle.....

It was refreshing to see the Dark Eldar in "Brotherhood of the Snake". They were in "Warrior Brood" too I believe...but again, I don't count the C.S. Goto stuff. ;) Could use some more Tyranid stories too.

sebster
03-09-2007, 05:45
I am still undecided, if GW's ideas stolen from Tolkien (Space Elves, Space Orks, Ogryn, Space Dwarves), Alien (Tyranids), Terminator (Necrons), Macross (Tau), Starship Trooper (Imperial Guard), or Star Wars (Space Marines) are their best "inventions":rolleyes:

Your view is probably a little more dramatic than it needs to be. The various armies of 40k are clearly inspired by various sci-fi and fantasy works. But that isnít stealing, stealing occurs when you take an original idea and copy it directly, adding nothing new or failing to put it into a new context.

Many of the races and ideas in Tolienís LotR came from various European mythologies, but no-one accuses Tolkien of stealing those ideas. He put them into an original context, a unique fantasy world with a single narrative, and so Tolkienís work became an original creation.

Similarly, GW has taken ideas from other sources and placed them together in a unique context, both in terms of the 40k setting and in terms of a miniature game.

Bregalad
03-09-2007, 09:07
Unfortunately, the Eldar aren't neglected here either, its just that all the Eldar stuff is written by C.S. Goto and therefore, its similar to having nothing being written for Eldar fans. Overall, I'd like to see non C.S.Goto written Eldar novels, and some other novels covering other armies too.

There is a small Eldar occurrence in "Fulgrim" by Graham McNeill (author of the fantastic Wood Elf novel "Guardians of the Forest"). Sadly, it is another mindless Eldar bashing, where Eldrad flees doing nothing (he was "surprised" :rolleyes:) and the Avatar of Ulthwť is choked to death by a Primarch's hands (he uses his sword directly after holding the molten metal), very goto-like, very sad.

Iracundus
03-09-2007, 09:24
In terms of Codex background and army focus, the Eldar do better than many other xenos races in GW focus. In other fluff however, the Eldar suffer on two points. The "they're mysterious and alien so we can't explore them from their point of view" excuse that ends up leaving the Codex as the major source of Eldar background. The second point is how they're often used as the foil for the protagonists (usually some flavor of Space Marine +/- spikes) to show how useless subtlety, finesse, and technology is compared to their uber 1337 strength and macho power.

NeonWraith
03-09-2007, 10:13
As far as the game is concerned. Yeah, the Eldar are no longer in the fraternity of GW's neglected children.

I dunno...you can argue that pretty much everyone bar the Marines & the Guard are the red headed stepchild of the GW family...course, the Dark Eldar are the redheaded, barefoot stepchild :p

The_Patriot
03-09-2007, 10:41
I dunno...you can argue that pretty much everyone bar the Marines & the Guard are the red headed stepchild of the GW family...course, the Dark Eldar are the redheaded, barefoot stepchild :p

Sisters of Battle are the redheaded, barefoot, and naked stepchild that sleeps in the doghouse.

Sureshot05
03-09-2007, 10:44
One of the most beautiful armies in 40k. I always find it a pleasure to face off against these Xeno's. They're somwhere on the long list of things that I would love to collect in future, but lets finish the existing armies first (and if you believe I'll ever finish those then your as crazy as I am :D)

WLBjork
03-09-2007, 10:48
Aren't they actually older than the Tomb Kings army? They're still obviously based on Egyptian undead either way, but they've been around since around 1997. And they can look great in other colors

Depends on your interpretation of "Tomb Kings". It wasn't until 6th edition I believe that the old Undead army book was split into "Vampire Counts" and "Tomb Kings" but the two flavours have pretty much been in WHFB for a long time.

Captain Micha
04-09-2007, 12:21
As far as the game is concerned. Yeah, the Eldar are no longer in the fraternity of GW's neglected children. Fluffwise...or rather, novels featuring non-Imperials, I'd would be happy to see more variety out of the Black Library.

It was refreshing to see the Dark Eldar in "Brotherhood of the Snake". They were in "Warrior Brood" too I believe...but again, I don't count the C.S. Goto stuff. ;) Could use some more Tyranid stories too.

You mean those were books? Here I thought they were supposed to be toilet paper....

Ps if thats sob, what then are orks?

RedWolf
04-09-2007, 18:55
Elves are cool. Space is cool. Combine them both, and you’ll get a package of pure awesomeness.

I originally had a thing for the Space Marines and their relentless zeal to crush anything in the path of mankind and then some. But there was something about the Eldar that I liked even more. Perhaps it was because their design is very alien looking, yet with a hint of Native American and East Asian influence. When I was told they looked like Elves without their helmets and such, I was kind of shocked. In any case, I’m inspired to draw a comic about the Eldar in the near future ^_^ (thanks to the fan art I’ve seen online.)

I’ve also ordered a Prophecy of the Eldar (I think?) And I’m hoping it is good.

NeonWraith
04-09-2007, 19:44
Elves are cool. Space is cool. Combine them both, and youíll get a package of pure awesomeness.

Somewhere, in some distant, isolated, and quite probably dank part of the internets a lonely nerd just became extremely aroused...and he doesn't know why :p

But, yeah...the Eldar are pretty much pointy-eared wimps in space. With cone people issues.

And the SoB aren't that badly done to, 'cause they've been updated more recently than the Dark Eldar.

Rogue 7
04-09-2007, 19:52
You mean those were books? Here I thought they were supposed to be toilet paper....

Ps if thats sob, what then are orks?
Probably the drunken hillbilly cousin who no one really likes, but they're all too polite to tell him to leave. He sleeps in his pickup truck he drives over.

Arhalien
04-09-2007, 19:57
Off-Topic:

Add to that a lot of inspiration from Dune-- The Emperor, Sardaukar (Space Marines), the Kwizatz Haderach (Farseers), etc. Also, Calidan (Caliban), Salusa Secundus (Baal Secundus).

They even got the name Lasgun from there as well ;)

Sorry for going further off-topic; I won;t interrupt again.

catdubh
04-09-2007, 23:35
I play IG, I love facing Eldar, give me Eldar over Marines any day.

The models are excellent the fluff great, and two of the best painted armies I have ever seen have been Eldar.

The downside its a pity that there is only the one army now I liked it more with Five, and the Eldar FAQ, need to be out asap. Hawks and Clowns :wtf: Sorry just not playtested correctly :rolleyes:

yukisaiko
04-09-2007, 23:48
Sisters of Battle are the redheaded, barefoot, and naked stepchild that sleeps in the doghouse.

You called it dude... :mad:

RedWolf
05-09-2007, 01:09
Somewhere, in some distant, isolated, and quite probably dank part of the internets a lonely nerd just became extremely aroused...and he doesn't know why

-looks at pants, and scratches his head- :eyebrows:

Chaplain Ark
05-09-2007, 01:11
Sorry, but I think they're just Elves in space. Long-lived, ancient, artistic race on the decline. Nothing new here, keep moving.

And what, pray tell, are the Orks considered? please enlighten us all.

RedWolf
05-09-2007, 01:28
And what, pray tell, are the Orks considered? please enlighten us all.

Orcs in Space!!111

Devil-Tears
05-09-2007, 01:37
Well, I think that we can at least all agree that every race in 40k is "(insert fantasy race here) in space." (Except Tyranids, although there probably is something about them thats connected to lizard men and skaven)

sebster
05-09-2007, 02:21
Well, I think that we can at least all agree that every race in 40k is "(insert fantasy race here) in space." (Except Tyranids, although there probably is something about them thats connected to lizard men and skaven)

All the original races; orks, eldar and squats, are pretty direct ports across from fantasy, except Space Marines, who are basically just the power-armoured superhumans that are pretty common in sci-fi.

All the latter races have more in common with space marines in that sense. They’re based more on sci-fi archetypes… all devouring bugs from another galaxy, unkillable sentient robots, high tech flying gun suits.

Necrons can kind of be called tomb kings in space, but people looking to play a new army are going to be tempted more by the idea of ancient, soulless machines that look like the Terminator than the chance to play a race that’s just like mummies, but actually robots and in space.

shin'keiro
05-09-2007, 02:58
For me its their style, grace and skill on the battlefield, being able to move and fire with nearly all assault weapons, close combat (the best in 40k) and the fact that the fluff recognises them as desperately trying to survive, even resorting to piracy or lightening raids when other races encroach on their territory, personally i cant think of a better army. To answer the OP's question - yes i think they are under-rated, but thats the first mistake (and usually the last) of most of my opponents.

alex03
05-09-2007, 08:11
For me its the pleasent crunching sound they make under a power armoured boot....

Rioghan Murchadha
06-09-2007, 05:57

Not true at all.. they got a book.. Faith and Fire wasn't all that horrible.. the ending sort of blew, but it was certainly better than Goto's filth.

Speaking of which.. what is with this Iron fetish in space marine chapters? Iron Hands, Iron Warriors, Iron Snakes... There are more base metals out there than Iron you know... Besides which, in the 41st millenium, wouldn't they be using steel at the very least?