PDA

View Full Version : New to fantasy, chose Khemri

taphos
03-09-2007, 05:27
New to Fantasy/(and this forum).... Picked up the Tomb King's Battalion box the other day, started assembling... The question I pose to you comes in two parts...

1: What sort of list will offer me tactical flexibility whilst not being too steep of a learning curve for me to acquire.. or essentially, what kind of list works well for Tomb Kings... (Static Shooty, Assault Mounted, Mixed, Loads of Troops).

2: And also I would ask of you to give me insight into a particularly un-traditional theme for my army that I haven't found browsing the many forums.. I love the whole Egyptian theme, but I'd like to theme my army around a war host that travels the world reclaiming forts/artifacts (so basically having sand bases won't really help me)....
I'd like to do something more than the bases as I want to go 120% on the modeling of this army, I was thinking of my calvary having turban's or scarfs wrapped around there heads only revealing there eyes. Initially I got the idea of a tomb complex in a swamp somewhere, but not sure how I could pull that off... but that's all I've come up with thus far.... insights please.

03-09-2007, 06:10
first you sound llike your getting good ideas for conversions

a mix is best with tomb kings Archers are awsome (due to the akways hit on 4+) for the foot solders. Im no TK expert but that seems to be the best combine charges with chariots and archers to give ranks

Neknoh
03-09-2007, 06:48
5+, always hit on 5+

As for modelling ideas, how about a legion on an eternal march? That way, you can model stuff such as ancient clothing and scarfs covering them whilst they tirelessly march onwards towards new battles to be fought for the Kingdom

Highborn
03-09-2007, 07:18
You could really do any sort of base you want ... the question is getting them to look the part because people are used to seeing Tomb Kings on sand. It's like a wood elf force on lava bases ... you can do it, but unless you have something else in the model to tie it in, it's just going to look strange.

empireguard
03-09-2007, 07:46
I think you should do a damp jungle type base that way you could add some mould and fungi grow of some of the skellies. See in the dry heat of the desert the bones stay white and clean. Now they have been walking though the jungle their bones have started to rot and decay.

I think if you did this the army would look more at home with a non desert base.

Holy Crap! Manticores!
03-09-2007, 08:19
I do my Druchii on snow bases, even the Cold Ones. It stands out, as well as shows off whatever colors you use. (Note: We come from the land of Chill, so it's actually fluffy to do so.)

I'm all behind your converting enthusiasm, it sounds like some cool ideas. Speaking of cool, you may wish to "recruit" some cold-weather folk for snow bases. But this is my opinion.

Army composition, they don't have a lot of flexibility, but there honestly isn't a loser in the bunch. If you go with whatever models strike your fancy, you can't go wrong.

Tactically... read, re-read, and re-read the TK Magic section. Then read it again. Three of the Incantations actively enhance your units, and the token yet useful magic missile.

taphos
03-09-2007, 17:05
Speaking of cool, you may wish to "recruit" some cold-weather folk for snow bases. But this is my opinion.

I'm afraid, after reading this line over five or so times, I don't get it. :wtf:

So after assembling my chariots and horses last night (not the riders), I got to thinking of how they would get these things across mountains and such (thinking of the Endless March idea).. (probaly just avoid them, but nonetheless a thought to consider).
I do like the idea of fungus covered and such, but I'm a stout Death Guard player and I'd be a vacation to not be modeling fungus and decay, so I think at this moment a swamp theme will be on the drawing board but nothing more..
I guess at this point I'll just keep assembling the rest of the battalion and hope and idea sparks. Thanks for all the help so far by the way.. I guess I chose the wrong army for themes (!), should've gone with DE's :mad: ... I'll stick with these guys though, something obviously made me akin to them for dropping 95$ on the battalion.

Chiron
03-09-2007, 17:18
[shameless plug] I suggest you take a look at my project log in my sig, it might give you some ideas :) [/shameless plug]

Crube
03-09-2007, 17:23
Chariots etc over mountains - a couple of ways...

a) model pegs etc - they can be carried through passes and such...
b) take a bone giant- they can carry anything
c) this is Warhammer - your army has wizards (well priests anyway) you can do anything ;)

DoomedDiceThrower
03-09-2007, 17:26
So, you're thinking of an army marching through strange lands far from any own tomb complex(es?) ?
I think, something that could maybe tie the models thematically to the bases might be if you model some ruins of ancient Khemrian temples on the bases (a little bit like "Cities of Death" bases). Like, grown over by plants for a jungle theme, etc.

You might think about a crusade, to reclaim ancient "outpost" temples, which still have some ancient treasure inside. Those might lay in old Jungles, woods, swamps (as you mentioned; I like the idea).

03-09-2007, 17:27
sorry I didn't have my book with me thuoght it was 4+..like I said I am not an expert :)

taphos
03-09-2007, 17:47
So, you're thinking of an army marching through strange lands far from any own tomb complex(es?) ?
I think, something that could maybe tie the models thematically to the bases might be if you model some ruins of ancient Khemrian temples on the bases (a little bit like "Cities of Death" bases). Like, grown over by plants for a jungle theme, etc.

You might think about a crusade, to reclaim ancient "outpost" temples, which still have some ancient treasure inside. Those might lay in old Jungles, woods, swamps (as you mentioned; I like the idea).

I think if I do my idea of head scarves on the riders (and anyone else without Egyptian helmets, it might just work (with a little statue here and there on the base)... I'll keep the bones a near-perfect white (with a few areas on the model being a tad darker to represent wear and tear)... I think the scarves should be black, but I'm still undecided on the color of the shields/armor/metal etc.. I poked around CMON and saw nothing, so It may take a few test models to figure this out...

theunwantedbeing
03-09-2007, 17:50
A tomb complex in a swamp shouldnt be all that difficult to do really.
You can easily put turbans and such on your skeletons(greenstuff strips wrapped around the model).
Greenery and such are again easy to model with greenstuff onto your stuff.

I'de probably avoid chariots(seeing as most people will take one look at them and think "chariots in a forest?thats rediculous"...or words to that extent).

Everything else can use the same sort of idea.
Painting moss onto the bones of the skeletons is easy enough,and to get them looking all swampy you paint the bones fairly dark with some raised lighter area's.

Lots of foot troops are mounted things would be fine,all undead constructs are fine as well,as are tomb swarms...only things like the casket of souls and chariots would be problematic for you to justify for fluff reasons.

DoomedDiceThrower
03-09-2007, 19:41
Another thought I just had, though probably not so good, is that they actually leave a trail of sand behind them (like snails do slime trails). I picture forest or whatever bases with a smooth trail of sand in the middle, left magically behind the models. (Though it doesn't have to be declared magical, thinking of how my swimming pants never seem to stop losing sand from holidays that lie 4 years back...)

Holy Crap! Manticores!
03-09-2007, 19:51
I'm afraid, after reading this line over five or so times, I don't get it. :wtf:
The Undead tendency to ressurect the vanquished to fill their ranks. The kislev models have distinctive stuff which might look really cool on a TK chariot or horseman or even a banner.

Sorry for any confusion.

taphos
03-09-2007, 20:35
The Undead tendency to ressurect the vanquished to fill their ranks. The kislev models have distinctive stuff which might look really cool on a TK chariot or horseman or even a banner.

Sorry for any confusion.

Ah, of course... my bad for my ignorance!

@ DoomedDiceThrower: Yeah, i was thinking the sand in the chariots as an idea just as i opened to read the new responses. :D

A moment of clarity came, finally! (though I wasn't doing anything involving miniatures!)... Though she doesn't look too insane, for a 120pt's at my 2K+ limit I can really bring home the idea of swamp theme by fielding Khalida! (+2 pts gets poisoned attacks on some units!)
I am really set and geared towards this as now there are actually rules in place that will boost my theme! Mass archers and calvary seems like the bulk of my force, covered in vines and mold... chariots filled with sand with dark spots(?)...
Too bad it won't be a while (funds/time wise) till I can field a 2k+ point list, but hell now that i'm motivated with a theme i'm quite pleased.. oh man, i can only see it now... jungle swarm snakes on some bases.... insight and suggestions based on this idea please! :evilgrin:

I'de probably avoid chariots(seeing as most people will take one look at them and think "chariots in a forest?thats rediculous"...or words to that extent).

I think I can pull off some conversion to justify this, swamp ish (not so much forest)... but spiked treads? or with deep grooves in them, and maybe add some thing to the front of the chariot to keep it and the connector rod to horses from dipping too low?... We'll see, but I don't think the opponent will have any gripes about this army once its complete in all its conversion/theming glory.