PDA

View Full Version : "Goblin cavalry army"

John Wayne II
03-09-2007, 13:22
Hey people. For some time now I have had the crazy idea of making a 2000 point Goblin Wolf Rider army. The big idea is to have have ranked up units of Wolf Riders with shields supported by Chariots and Doom Divers. Apart from that I'm not sure where to take it. I've been thinking that 15 models per Wolf Rider unit is enough, anything more than that is probably too unwieldy but that's about it. I'm really torn on whether to go magic heavy or not, on one hand it's expensive but on the other hand it may give that crucial advantage that the army solely needs. Or I could just take a scroll caddy....

Any thoughts on how I could make this cray idea tactically viable?

Felworth
03-09-2007, 14:57
The biggest concern with an all mounted Gobbo army is... wait, scratch that...

Ok, the TWO biggest concerns with an all mounted Gobbo army is lack of leadership and putting Goblins in combat.

If you've every used a Goblin heavy army before then you know the miserable little blighters are quick to run at the first sign of trouble and seeing as their all mounted on wolves they can run away even faster. This'll be rough to contend with but thats what Warbosses (even Gobbo ones) and musicians are for. Upshot to all this is as fast as they run away they should rally and have the high movement to get back to the fighting.

As for the fighting itself... Goblins on wolves are still cruddy fighters but the wolves can make up for this to some degree. Mork bless mount attacks. May be worth a few units of Spider Riders or fast Wolf cavalry to hit enemy flanks when the main Wolf blocks charge in. Using the chariots to smack into the same target as the Wolfriders is a great idea although it will slow down the wolves abit having to wait for said chariots. Gobbo heroes tooled up for killing are inexpensive and pretty decent except for the low leadership.

Overall I think this would be a great army as it's hard to call Goblins overpowered and at least previous background info supports highly mobile Goblin raiding/caravan armies.

Lord Dan
03-09-2007, 17:25
Make sure you also have units of 5-6 riders running around without shields. Fast cav is essential to the success of this army. With a WS of 2, the wolf rider units can't really be expected to plow through many units of heavy infantry on wounds alone. Conversely, putting combat resolution on your side (by putting fast cav into their side) is a surefire way to get em' runnin'.

Take a BSB with the big red banner. This will not only allow you to reroll all break checks within 12 inches, but also allows goblins (your entire army) within 12 to reroll panic checks. It's saved the fate of my goblin battlearc (not so much a line with them...) on multiple occasions.

Magic heavy is somewhat overkill in my opinion. I've had fun with the occasional goblin shaman blowing himself up turn 3, however I don't find many of my opponents enjoy being burned with 11 powerdice by a swarm army. (How many people smile after playing a SAD army? Even when they beat it?) If you're trying to crush your opponent into a unhappy dust, go for it. Otherwise I'd go with a nice balance between Goblin fighters and shamans. If you play this army right, you won't need to be magic heavy.

DarkLord Of Naggaroth
03-09-2007, 18:08
I think it'd be more effective to have loads of spear chukkas instead of doomdivers.
and I'd take a one or two units with bows, they might be no good but they still get the job done, and the more variety you've got, the better. Otherwise, one weakness would bring down your whole army.
But I think a wold rider army would be top fun to play.

Holy Crap! Manticores!
03-09-2007, 19:12
I think it'd be more effective to have loads of spear chukkas instead of doomdivers.
and I'd take a one or two units with bows, they might be no good but they still get the job done, and the more variety you've got, the better. Otherwise, one weakness would bring down your whole army.
But I think a wold rider army would be top fun to play.Until someone like me drops a Manticore in the middle of his army.

Support troops, aside from warmachines, should include a unit or two of Boar Boyz. They're green, they're mean, and they're mounted. Ignoring Goblin panic will help keep the lines steady. If you go Savage Orcs, even the Manti-drop won't scare them off, preventing them from fleeing thru Wolf Riders and panicking them. Frenzy will create other issues, but with the new rules, you won't mind it so much when they do a compulsary charge on (pick a unit... any unit).

Again, I'm not saying you should totally abandon the concept, just adding a few units would add to your hitting power and staying power.

warlord hack'a
03-09-2007, 21:08
chariots are essntial to winning with this army: one gobbo wolfrider unit will bounce off the enemy, one wolfrider unit combined with a chariot charge will win combat by a little, one wolfrider unit and 2 chariot charges will completely mess up any unti they charge.
Let the chariots do the damage, the wolfboyz are there for static CR.
Also as mentioned earlier, flank charges will win your day as do tooled out characters.

Urgat
04-09-2007, 10:37
Until someone like me drops a Manticore in the middle of his army.

I've won quite a lot of battles against undeads (including terror causing wraiths, black coaches and everything). Sure, terror can be devastating, and yeah, fear is annoying, but they don't actually "kill" any gob, and there's one thing a goblin player can do about it:
ignore it.
Yeah, so what if 3 or 4 units won't charge or decide to flee? Others will still pass the Ld test, the fleeing units will raly (because an intelligent goblin -or anything else, in fact- player always takes musicians, and goblins with musicians raly as well as anybody else). And then, the numbers pay, and, against all odds, they get there, and, sometimes, they even win ( I get 50/50 against undeads with my gob army, believe it or not).
A manticore? Pah :p

Gorthor21
05-09-2007, 00:46
when i was messing around with orcs and goblins, i also thought of using a gobbo wolf rider army. the idea appealed to me because i like the mongels.

http://z3.invisionfree.com/Orc__Goblin_Warpath/index.php?showtopic=19261 Arfa on Da Warpath is a great wolf rider tactician and if youre considering starting a wolf army, hes the man to listen to

hope i helped in some way

Gorthor

Omegakai
05-09-2007, 20:31
I have this very army (Pics coming your way in a week after the gt)
The best themed list ive played in years. it bounces off some armies. but can be deadly against others

TheRaven
07-09-2007, 13:55
Interesting idea, I just didn't see it working.

Holy Crap! Manticores!
08-09-2007, 09:08
I've won quite a lot of battles against undeads (including terror causing wraiths, black coaches and everything). Sure, terror can be devastating, and yeah, fear is annoying, but they don't actually "kill" any gob, and there's one thing a goblin player can do about it:
ignore it.

Out of curiosity, does the list of undead terror causers include zombie dragons or winged nightmares? The Flying Terror drop is quite different from Black Caoches and Wraiths.

Urgat
08-09-2007, 09:59
No, but I'm also facing a bretonian army with an hypogryph, and I've battled for years against a chaos dragon (and a 5th edition one, not the current weakling thing, sir -yeah well ok this one I could never beat).
Anyway, you can't do anything about it (save for fanatic screens, but he won't get that with wolves), so there's no reason to dwell on it for hours, you just shoot at the thing and pray your gobs will rally if they break (after all, it will work only once).

T10
08-09-2007, 10:07
(How many people smile after playing a SAD army? Even when they beat it?)

I guess they kinda smile on those rare occasions, when they laugh manically into their opponent's face and throw dice around the room as part of their ritual victory dance.

-T10

HughbertofKhorne
24-09-2007, 12:19
How many units of wolf riders are you gonna take at 2000pts?
also, would it not be wiser to bump the unit sizes to 20? gives you a disposable rank to play with then. Okay it doesnt matter if 10 of them are wiped out in the first round, but such is life.

I mean their AS will be something like 4+ will it not? if given light armour and shields. its a half decent armour save against most races basic troop.

so I would think 20 per unit would be a safer option, even if it is just to keep you fairly viable for a second round in combat. shouldnt cost that much either.

also what about trolls and giants to add some heavy hitting power? okay they will be moving 3-6 inches slower a turn than wold riders, but when the wolfies run off, you've got something to hit back with while they (hopefully) rally and come back.

Omegakai
25-09-2007, 11:19
i normally run 3 units of 15 full command with shields and spears
and 3 units of 7 fast cav with bows (and maybe spears and bosses) otherwise just musicians.
then i run lots of chariots and all my heroes in chariots. having 8 chariots can scare people.
(i once got 46 impact hits from all 8 charging one unit from many sides, it was glorious )