PDA

View Full Version : Which army for Apocalypse?

Merceus
03-09-2007, 21:48
I know there's loads of threads like this scattered all over the place at the moment, and I was beginning to feel kinda left out... So I've decided to do another army for Apocalypse... Just for Apocalypse...

This means starting from scratch and not using the FoC, instead I'll take the things that suit my style and will hopefully form some kind of cohesive strategy that may or may not work...

Obviously this army won't be ready in time for Apocalypse, in fact I may not even start it until after Christmas... Not to mention I have 10,000pts of Chaos Marines to paint and a 1,000pts of Eldar to get on with...

But I really just want an army that looks really nice, so I'll be lavishing attention on it one model at a time... But one of the problems is, I can't decide what army to do...

I've taken the list of all the 40K armies and removed the ones I already have... I'd prefer one that I already have a codex for, but I don't mind buying a new codex, always gives me that tingly happy feeling...

So here's the list of armies I want to choose from...

Daemonhunters - No Codex
Dark Eldar - No Codex
Imperial Guard - Got Codex
Necrons - Got Codex
Orks - Got Codex
Tau Empire - No Codex
Witch Hunters - No Codex

So, what army is good for Apocalypse and has the ability to have each and every model lavished with loads of attention? Preferably something customisable but can still look as though its just out of the box... Don't really know how else to put that...

But hopefully this gives an idea for what I want... all responses welcome, cheers :D

Trilbydude@Dragon
03-09-2007, 22:50
I mean, come on! Daemonhuners all the way, there's so much scope! I'd love to see what you could do with a grand master!

Hulkster
03-09-2007, 23:03
imperial guard, just for the sheer amount of stuff they are getting

Damien 1427
03-09-2007, 23:05
Orks.

Do an Armoured Krumpany.

Feor
03-09-2007, 23:08
I also voted Orks, purly on the basis that your entire Vehicle Budget can be covered by a few sheets of Plasticard and whatever's in your bitz box, if you so desired.

Drogmir
04-09-2007, 01:20
Guard they really have the potential to show that FW stuff which makes up about 80% of their website

srgt. gak
04-09-2007, 02:05
Imperail guard because baneblades are cool and leman russes are cool.Having lots and lots of lemans and baneblades is really uber cool.Lets face it space marines and demonhunrters are tough but you can't go wrong with guard couse if you can't shoot the enemy to death you can swarm over him and trample him.

Dranthar
04-09-2007, 03:21
I voted Imperial Guard and Dark Eldar.

IG because they're getting a Baneblade, not to mention all that forgeworld goodness.

Dark Eldar because they're my favorite army, so by extension they must be yours too. :rolleyes:

Alx_152
04-09-2007, 07:13
I've voted IG + WH + DH. It's Apocalypse, Toss all armies of the empire together. You can even add SM to the mix.

Beast Rabban
04-09-2007, 08:29
C'mon!! Apocalypse is sooo about Guard Armour. Allie the with what ever takes your fancy. I should encourage anti empirium forces. I forsee alot of IG training games.

Razor Devil
04-09-2007, 08:39
I voted Necrons and Daemonhunters. Necrons because they're cool and very very easy to paint and it still looks good. Daemonhunters because of their cool Force-Weapons and because they look cool too. And for the Necrons when I say easy I mean really easy. It takes 20 seconds to basecoat a Necron and that's all you need to do, Undercoat then basecoat unless you do something fancy. (Although I can never think of something fancy to do.

And basically to basecoat just drybrush with a tank brush. For 20 seconds. :D

Shadowheart
04-09-2007, 09:22
Maybe it's just me, but Apocalypse and 'lavishing attention on every model' seem at odds with one another. Unless every model is a Titan or something.

Although I'm a big IG fan, I'm going to say Orks here. You could start bulking up on a green tide of infantry now and pick up the undoubtedly snazzy vehicles when they're released next year. Plus Orks are arguably the most customisable army in 40K, and they benefit from both the Baneblade and the Stompa (if it materialises).

Moress
04-09-2007, 09:55
I said Daemonhunters, It sounds like you got alot on your list to paint, so having a army with a low model count would be nice, especially in a game setting where the points are high. Also you can takeyour time painting them since their are so few. Also you can induct pretty much anything gaurd has, so Baneblade, bassies, exc...

Mojaco
04-09-2007, 10:03
Guard. Guard and orks as the number 1 apocalypse armies as these actually fight large battles on regular basis, and therefor "look right" when there's so many men on the table. Orks aren't the best to start with right now, so that leaves IG!

Orks is more original though, also benifits from the baneblade and have enough 'save' models to keep you going until their release.

Merceus
04-09-2007, 11:24
hmm... seems that we are swinging in favour of Guard at the moment, lol... If it keeps going this way I'll probably do Guard with a few Daemonhunters chucked in... But I'll leave the poll to pic up more votes and see how it goes...

Cheers :D

Wolflord Havoc
04-09-2007, 11:29
Imperial Guard all the way - you know it makes sense.

Though I am doing an entire Space Marine Battle company using a made up chapter using the color scheme of my avatar.

Imperial Dragon
04-09-2007, 11:35
im saying IG they do get really cool stuff (baneblade etc), if you had tyranid or chaos there i would say do them but cause you dont and IG seem like a cool army to do.

DA Company Master
04-09-2007, 11:59
I would think most people would be playing Apoc with what they already have. In fact the game has been designed so you can mix your armies and play as many races as you like.

If you were to ask me hyperthetically which ONE army I would choose if models weren't an issue, then I would take IG as the thought of fielding loads of tanks and SHTs and Titans just makes me all queesey inside. :D

Bunnahabhain
04-09-2007, 12:36
The Guard work best at a high points levels. You need about 3000+ pts to get a proper combined arms approach going with them. They will be rather common for the next little while though.

What we don't know yet is how other armies will react to the higher points levels, and lack of FOC. If you're having to stick to a FOC, it really limits some armies, but not the Guard, as you can spend so many points sensibly on infantry.

Semitaire
04-09-2007, 13:30
it may seem a little expensive at a glance but bear with me,
A grey knight terminator army with dread and thunderhawk support
maybe a few thunderhawk transporters with crusaders
expensive but very funny

failing that play epic instead

Wyatt
04-09-2007, 13:40
Daemonhunters with inducted Guard.

Basically, you send in your sixty-thousand strong Guard infantry force. (One of them has to kill something with that many :p).

Then, while their efforts are put against fighting the speed bumps, you bombard them with basilisks.

Afterwards, your Grey Knights finish the work.

(This saves the Inquisitors from having to excecute the Guard for seeing too much - with this plan, nobody lives but the GK :))

Captain Micha
04-09-2007, 14:04
we can use multiple armies in apoc? *Eying my Tau and Cron force and shakes head at the thought.. then again........*

Necron and Ig.... would show a crazed Star god devoted force quite well....
Guess I better get started on collecting my guard for this idea then..
*Gets the cultist like voice goin from dow*"FOR THE STAR GODS"

Merceus
04-09-2007, 14:10
hmm... out of the 3 codexes I have from the options, the only one I can't find is the Guard... what are the odds?

It'll show up soon... I think... I only used it the other day!!

Ddraiglais
05-09-2007, 04:53
I think your first consideration would be how large you are going with this. If it's really large, then I would go with IG or Orks. Other considerations are what warmachines you might want. Tau have huge aircraft. IG have superheavies. You could also ally with a titan legio. Orks have stompas, gargants, squiggoths, and battle fortresses. I think a lot of the fun of Apocalypse will be the huge units so IG and Orks fit real well again. Basically I see more options to add on to your army with IG and Orks. A lot of the other armies you have listed would be just buying more of the same units. I think that could get boring.

RainbowKittens
05-09-2007, 06:08
I'm really excited for the new ork codex and models!

Raven1
05-09-2007, 06:22
I voted for Tau. I think they are cool.

Xenocidal Maniac
05-09-2007, 06:44
It looks like IG is the overwhelming majority here, and that's what I voted for. Dunno why, but Guard just seems most appropriate for Apoc. Probably the whole horde thing they have going. Nids seem like they would be pretty cool, too.

starlight
05-09-2007, 06:45
For appropriateness for Apocalypse? IG or Orks. If Orks wait until the new Dex is out.
For low model count (to reward your time and attention)? Ordos or Tau Empire (suit heavy).
For unexpected scariness? Dark Eldar.
For ease of building in a hurry? Necrons.

Khornies & milk
05-09-2007, 07:18
IG Armoured Company w/ DH Allies

Command Tank
GM Hero & 7 GKT Retinue

Tank Ace
BC & 6 GKT Retinue

4 Leman Russes
2 x IST Squads (10 men) in Chimeras

1 Baneblade

2 Demolishers
1 Basilisk

4000 points
47 minis

Plenty of Pie Plate killiness, some Troops for objective taking,
GKT for c/c duties.

Not sure how effective it would be, but it would be pretty damn cool looking.

Merceus
05-09-2007, 18:50
hmm... looks like it could be an interesting list... but also not much going on with so few models... especially seeing as how its apocalypse... but I may give it a shot... Will have to wait and see...

SwordJon
05-09-2007, 19:00
Orks by a long shot. First of all, you'll have the green tide, which is awesome. Second, you can have just as much, if not more, armor on the table than guard players, and they're way cooler. You want those box of 10 leman russes? That's fine! Orks can use those. Even with the new codex they'll still be usable (just not as straight up Leman Russ battle tanks).

Plus? Looted Baneblade. Nothing is cooler than that. Who wouldn't want a looted baneblade backed up by battle wagons and hordes of buggies, while da green wave slams into the enemy lines? Oh yes. Oh yes.

Merceus
05-09-2007, 19:13
Gah!

GAh!

GAH!

GAH!!!

I was almost settled on Guard/Daemonhunter combo... but now you're making me think... How dare you! I'll have to wait and see what everyone else thinks...

starlight
05-09-2007, 19:16
The new Orkdex won't be out until Christmas with the new models *anyway* (although you *can* check out some sneekpeeks... ;)) so it's no bother to wait if you go Green. :D The Imperial forces are getting a mightly boost between now and then, which Da Ladz can take advantage of anyways.

Take your time and see how Apocalypse develops before throwing down your cash. :)

Merceus
05-09-2007, 19:40
T'was the plan to wait til Xmas before buying anyway, but if Orks are coming out then, even better... though I don't want to be looking like a Sheep by doing them as soon as they come out... Not that I ever do that (cept wit Nids n Chaos, but I collected them way before they got redone)...

I ramble a lot...

If you love a Redhead, set her free...if she follows you everywhere, pitches a tent in your front lawn and your new girlfriend disappears, you belong to her, get used to it .:evilgrin:

I wanna meet one of those... they're my fave's :D

starlight
05-09-2007, 19:57
I'm dating one.:D 5'10" shoulder length wavy red hair.:evilgrin:

DrDoom
05-09-2007, 22:15
Gargants. Gargants and more gargants.

Orks all the way.

Trilbydude@Dragon
05-09-2007, 23:15
ALSO, and here's something that hasn't been mentioned about the orkses, and that is... GOFF ROCKERS!!!!! Basically, you kno the looters? well, basically they can steal any unit's upgrades, correct? so... Orkses+Noise Marines=RAAAAAAWK!!!!!

IJW
05-09-2007, 23:18
Gargants. Gargants and more gargants.

Orks all the way.
Don't forget Battle Fortresses. :evilgrin: