PDA

View Full Version : Least Played Armies

Vedar
04-09-2007, 00:25
My playing group is getting a little fed up with the direction on 40K. 3 Chaos Marine players pretty much got hosed with the new Chaos codex. Eldar got dumbed down more with the last codex. Things continue to be overpowered, underpowered, broken or just stupid.

Why do I say all this? The grumbling is going that people might want to start playing fantasy. I wanted to start checking them out. I read the army descriptions stickyed but I'm afraid that is information overload.

I like to play the least played armies. What armies are the least played and why? What are the most played armies and why?

Baindread
04-09-2007, 00:38
Least played is different in different places.

But generally speaking I would believe the worst performing armies are played the least such as High Elves, Dark Elves and Ogre Kingdoms.

The same reason could be said about the most played armies. More powerful, more attractive. Those would be Chaos, Wood Elves, Bretonnia, Lizardmen, Skaven.

pcgamer72
04-09-2007, 04:56
I've actually noticed quite a drop in Lizardmen's popularity over the past year or so. They seem to be showing up in tourneys a bit less.

In general, I'd say that Ogre Kingdoms are probably the least played army. They are a bit weak compared to most other armies but they are definitely playable with some practice.

Chaplain Mortez
04-09-2007, 05:26
Dogs of War and Chaos Dwarves?

...and I'd say Dark Elves in my area. We have a few Ogre Kingdoms players--it's just that it can be a rough army to play.

P.S. Sorry to hear that about 40k in your area though.

Drogmir
04-09-2007, 05:48
Dogs of War and Chaos Dwarves?

...and I'd say Dark Elves in my area. We have a few Ogre Kingdoms players--it's just that it can be a rough army to play.

P.S. Sorry to hear that about 40k in your area though.

To tell you the truth he's over imaging here, things are far from "broken" but there are things to be desired.

In Fantasy everything is well balanced there really isn't a SM army that makes up 50% of everyone's army nor are there DE which make up 1% of the armies.

the1stpip
04-09-2007, 11:00
Popularity of armies varies on where you live.

I rarely see High and Dark Elf Armies, or Beasts or Ogres.

But I see a lot of Wood Elf, Dwarf and Empire Armies...

DarkLord Of Naggaroth
04-09-2007, 11:04
skaven might be a powerful army to play with, but I dont think many people actually collect skaven.

Stella Cadente
04-09-2007, 11:16
hmm well let me think

Empire (1 person)
Ogres (1 person)
High elves (0 people)
Beastmen (0 people)
Lizardmen (1 person)
Dwarves (1 person)
Dark Elves (0 people)
Tomb Kings (0 people)
Vampire counts (0 people)
Skaven (0 people)

the most popular is Chaos (5 people)

Holy Crap! Manticores!
04-09-2007, 13:25
I'd guess Dark Elves have fallen out of favor because most people can't figure out how to win with them, as they aren't overpowered, there's very little oppurtunity for cheese, and they won't get a new Army Book til mid-to-late '08 (based on latest rumors). However, with the army not being overpowered and cheesy, it is very satisfying to win with them.

Rider-Of-Kurnous
04-09-2007, 14:10
In my area there isn't really one most played or one least played

Wood elves 2
Dwarves 2
Lizardmen 2
Orcs and gobbos 2
Vampire counts 1

Atropos
04-09-2007, 19:57
Funny... I thought HE were very popular.

Aureo de Leon
04-09-2007, 23:39
It definitely depends on where you play at. I'm actually going to head to a local place where people play and see what's who's playing what. I'm also going to ask the owner of the shop.:)

Stella Cadente
05-09-2007, 04:08
Funny... I thought HE were very popular.

I don't think many want to play them because there rulebook is outdated and has some stupid rules (intrigue at court) and there soooo easy to beat, heck I still remember my cavalry bouncing off a unit of Dwarves, then being ran down, and then of course theres the models, terrible spearmen, rather bland archers, ugly Silver helms, so its just easier to avoid them

oh almost forgot
Brettonians (0 people)
Orcs (1 person, Night goblins)
Wood elves (-1players, yeah there that unpopular)

RipFlag
05-09-2007, 04:29
Well i would say that Chaos Dwarves are the rarest army because, well they do not have their own army book, and their rules are outdated and a bit dubious, also there is a real lack in models.

Ogres are not that prevalent because they are very new, hence they do not have a following and are not an easy army to play with. DE's may be unpopular, but Druchii.net is evidence enough that their are quite a few die hards still kicking. As Drogmir mentioned, there is no army, maybe except for CD's that only comprises of 1% of warhammer armies.

FlameKnight
05-09-2007, 07:01
Zombie pirates :D

Gerrok
05-09-2007, 07:48
If you go to the standard game night around here you'll notice a severe lack of high elves, dark elves, and ogres. People have these armies, but they've mothballed them until the new codex comes out (at which time they'll pull them out and tell everyone how much they love them and that they've played them since x edition).

Moral of the story: don't go out of your way to pick an army that other people don't play because you want to be unique. Pick the army that appeals to you, because sooner or later everyone will jump on the bandwagon.

With that said, in my area it's currently high elves, dark elves, and ogres.

Ward.
05-09-2007, 08:10
Dog's of war.

daemonkin
05-09-2007, 08:20
Quick summary from Belfast:
VC - 2
Ogres - 2
Empire - 2
Wood Elves - 0
High Elves - 1
Lizards - 2
Bret - 1
Chaos - 4+
Dwarfs - 1 with 2 armies slayers and normal
Dark Elves - 1
Skaven - 1
Tomb Kings - 1
Orcs - 1
DOW - 1

That is just the vets who I know have armies and play on a regular basis in store.

D.

Crube
05-09-2007, 08:46
Well, by army book sales (as of a year or so ago) that would be OK and TK...

But as has been said, it does vary from area to area... have a word around your gaming group and go from that...

W0lf
05-09-2007, 09:01
GW Hemel:

VC - 1
Ogres - 0
Empire - 1
Wood Elves - 2
High Elves - 0
Lizards - 2
Bret - 1
Chaos - 3 - 1 Tzeentch (me) 1 Nurgle and 1 slaanesh.
Beast of chaos - 1 (also plays the slaanesh chaos)
Dwarfs - 4
Dark Elves - 2
Skaven - 3
Tomb Kings - 3
Orcs - 2

Thats the vets. there may be a few noobs with each army and some people have more then one, however ive just included the 'most loved/played' army of each of the vets.

I think ogres are probably least played but that comes down to the fact that they are very boring to play with and against.

I play chaos but really like dark elves and dwarves, however im sticking to chaos as theres lots of dwarf players.

Rider-Of-Kurnous
05-09-2007, 16:40
Forgot my previose list was for COGS this is the people who I have seen in Meadowhall games workshop.

Lizardmen
Wood Elves
Chaos
Skaven

That is it I think.

Kulgur
05-09-2007, 18:30
GW Bedford I've only seen Orcs, VC and Dwarfs, lots more 40k then fantasy players

Highborn
06-09-2007, 13:16
VC - 2
Ogres - 1
Empire - 2
Wood Elves - 3
High Elves - 2
Lizards - 2
Bret - 2
Chaos - 2
Beast of chaos - 1
Dwarfs - 1
Dark Elves - 2
Skaven - 1
Tomb Kings - 1
Orcs - 1

The armies with no players around here are Dogs of War and Chaos Dwarfs.

night2501
06-09-2007, 14:40
well if it`s to choose an army, i recently started with ogres, and to tell you the true, they are really fun to play with, I don`t car emuch abput power, but the true is thatI don`t see them as underpowered, is just that they are not you tipical army

daemonkin
06-09-2007, 15:10
I think a nice army to start would be DOW. They are a little more expensive - being Mail Order only but I'm sure you can pick up alternatives from the other ranges - eg bull ogres, empire cannon and knights.

DOW gives you a great chance to paint different regiments in either unique or unifying colour schemes.

D.

Sovereign
06-09-2007, 18:17
My playing group is getting a little fed up with the direction on 40K. 3 Chaos Marine players pretty much got hosed with the new Chaos codex. Eldar got dumbed down more with the last codex. Things continue to be overpowered, underpowered, broken or just stupid.

Why do I say all this? The grumbling is going that people might want to start playing fantasy.
Hahaha. You think GW is better balanced or more consistent on the WFB side? Think again, my friend! Fantasy armies are much more unevenly matched against each other as a whole.

I would describe Fantasy armies as "balanced cheese". That is to say, at the top levels, each army is sickeningly cheesey and overpowered in their own special way. Similarly, most armies are grossly underpowered in some (minor?) aspect of thier list. And this brings a sort of balance between the armies, assuming that players bring comparable power levels to the table. The amount of powergaming and min/maxing in Fantasy is no less than what you would find in 40k, but there are more archetypes and Army Books, so "fixing" problems and rebalancing the game takes a *lot* longer.

If you're moving to Fantasy to get away from GW stupidity, you're going to be very unhappy down the road. You think losing LatD was bad? Just ask the Fantasy guys what happened to their Storm of Chaos armies...

I like to play the least played armies. What armies are the least played and why?
The least-played armies are easily Dogs of War and Chaos Dwarves - they haven't had any official support in ages. DoW at least got a full-fledged Army Book in WFB5, while CD only got a compilation of their WD articles. In WFB6, DoW got a WD list, but at least they got extensions as GW decided that getting players to buy more models as DoW was A Good Thing (tm). CD haven't seen Squat.

Sovereign
06-09-2007, 18:19
In Fantasy everything is well balanced there really isn't a SM army that makes up 50% of everyone's army nor are there DE which make up 1% of the armies.
*cough*Dogs of War*cough*

*cough*Chaos Dwarves*cough*

Irennicus
06-09-2007, 20:49
Honestly, DoW and CD are so old that they shouldn't even be mentioned.

By the way: There's a ton of TK and OK players around me. It's weird.

Bloodknight
06-09-2007, 20:57
There are more DoW players than one would think. ;). Certainly more than CD, mostly because they're the ideal collector's second army - you can just throw anything into a list.

studderigdave
06-09-2007, 20:57
the portal - Bethlehem PA

Skaven - 2
Lizardmen - 3
Ogres - 3
dark elves - 1
wood elves - 2 (1 tree spirit)
orcs - 1
beasts - 1
chaos - 2
brets - 1

i think we are missing a stunty and an empire player.

Omegakai
06-09-2007, 21:06
in our area. i can think of the following a few of these are people with more then one army.

Empire (2 person)
Ogres (3 person)
High elves (3 people)
Beastmen (1 people)
Lizardmen (2 person)
Dwarves (4 person)
Dark Elves (0 people)
Tomb Kings (3 people)
Vampire counts (4 people)
Skaven (2 people)
Chaos (5 people)
Brets (3 people)
Woodelves (2 people)
orcs (8 people)

i know there is more but thats all i can think of right now.

Holy Crap! Manticores!
06-09-2007, 22:20
If you're looking for a challenge, play Dark Elves. They're lightly armored, the army is T3 (except for the monsters), and you won't have a lot of troops on the table. It's a recipe for disaster waiting to be overcome.

the1stpip
06-09-2007, 22:44
A list of Gobstyks armies that are played regularly

Empire - 5
Dwarfs - 4
High Elves - 1
Wood Elves - 2
Bretonnians - 2
Lizards - 1
Chaos Mortal - 2
Chaos Beasts - 1 (me)
Skaven - 3
Vampires - 1
Tomb Kings - 2
Dark Elves - 1
Orcs - 0
Dogs of War - 1

There are Orc players, but they don't appeat very often.

I also know one person who owns a Chaod dwarf army, and one person who is collecting them.

Captain Cortez
07-09-2007, 06:54
In Northern part of Cali.

Empire - 4
Dwarfs - 3
High Elves - 2
Wood Elves - 3
Bretonnians - 2
Lizards - 2
Chaos Mortal - 5(3 Slannesh,1 Nurgle, Tzneetch)
Chaos Beasts -1
Skaven - 1 (me)
Vampires -2
Tomb Kings -1(me)
Dark Elves - 1
Orcs - 3
Dogs of War - 1
Ogres-2(my main army)

This is just the list at my local stores. But as for the local RT's. Most apperenced are Dwarfs, Chaos(Slannesh), Wood Elfs, High Elfs, and Beastman. Strangly their aren't to many Empire players.

As for Ogres. I play them, yes they take few tries to get used to (just like Tomb Kings) But once you find their nich, they have some extreme potential:skull::cheese:

Finnigan2004
07-09-2007, 14:15
If you're moving to Fantasy to get away from GW stupidity, you're going to be very unhappy down the road. You think losing LatD was bad? Just ask the Fantasy guys what happened to their Storm of Chaos armies...

Oh the pain-- hundreds of dollars and hundreds of hours converting and painting my two daemonic legions lists. My three forge world rhinox riders. AARGH!

In seriousness though, there are bumps in the road for fantasy, but despite claims otherwise it is a great system. If you are looking for a least played army, that is tough because there is more parity in fantasy than 40k. This means that it varies from area to area. Of the "main stream" armies (those with books), I would guess ogre kingdoms are not that commonly played. They can be fun, and if you decide to start another army later, they can act as mercenaries in it.

Khaeron Baoth
07-09-2007, 19:53
Summary from Turku, Finland

Empire: 2
High Elves: 2
Dark Elves: 3
Wood Elves: 3-4
Chaos: 4
Bretonnia: 2
Vampire Count: 2
Beastmen: 1
Ogre kingdoms: 1
Lizardmen:3

It seems, that here we have no clear favorite army

TeldurUK
07-09-2007, 20:41
In my area as it stands (off to uni in a couple of weeks tho, and I hear there is a Warhammer club thing there, which is awesome!)

High Elves- 3 (make that 4 when the new stuff comes out!)
Dark Elves- 2
Chaos Dwarves- 1 (and the guy who has them..loves them)
Wood Elves- 1
Orcs- 1
Dwarfs- 1
Ogre Kingdoms-1
Empire- 1
DoW Army- 1
Vampire Counts- 1
Skaven- 1 (although I believe that the person who had that army has retired his skaven force, and decided on Orcs instead)

Leaving no Bretonnian players (although they were nearly my very first army!), no Lizardmen players and no Tomb Kings.

Like I said though, hopefully it'll all change come Uni

Urgat
07-09-2007, 20:53
Oh the pain-- hundreds of dollars and hundreds of hours converting and painting my two daemonic legions lists. My three forge world rhinox riders. AARGH!

In seriousness though, there are bumps in the road for fantasy, but despite claims otherwise it is a great system. If you are looking for a least played army, that is tough because there is more parity in fantasy than 40k. This means that it varies from area to area. Of the "main stream" armies (those with books), I would guess ogre kingdoms are not that commonly played. They can be fun, and if you decide to start another army later, they can act as mercenaries in it.

Besides making an ogre army is both rather cheap and fast, save for gnobblars, you don't really feel the tediousness of painting large regiments, and it offers tons of conversion and theme opportunities. Difficult army to master though.

studderigdave
08-09-2007, 12:29
ogres are a special case, becuase with a lil bit of green stuff and some imgaination, you can techniqually make the entire army from bull boxes.

crouchingotter
08-09-2007, 13:22
I have never seen anyone field a Tomb Kings or a Lizardmen army. In all honesty they're both interesting with some very good models (especially Lizardmen). Both of those armies have Batallions (Battleforces) available and so getting hold of miniatures won't be as difficult as say Chaos Dwarfs or Dogs of War.

I guess it all depends one where you see yourself playing games. If you're forming a gaming group with your friends, then just pick an army that they aren't using or if it's at a GW store or other gaming venue, have a look and ask what people are playing with and then choose something different.

Alathir
08-09-2007, 15:10
Well my 'gaming group' is another three guys - who post on these boards I believe -and between us we can field every fantasy army (save for Chaos Dwarfs and Dogs of War...) so there is no least played army where I play.

crouchingotter
08-09-2007, 15:38
Well my 'gaming group' is another three guys - who post on these boards I believe -and between us we can field every fantasy army (save for Chaos Dwarfs and Dogs of War...) so there is no least played army where I play.

There you go then. You're damned whatever you choose unless you go for Chaos Dwarfs (who have no armybook or current range of miniatures) or Dogs of War (who are direct from GW or via eBay only).