PDA

View Full Version : 2000 Lizardmen

trripper
04-09-2007, 05:04
This is my first lizardmen list, but i was formerly BoC. However, an pretty much all minotaur army is way to expensive, it broke my heart :cries:. Ha ha jk... kinda :p Anyways, im looking for a hard hitting mainly Close Combat army with some ranged support, here's the list:

Character
Saurus Oldblood w/ GW maiming shield Carnosaur Itzl(riding) Tepok(+1DD) quetzl(+1 scaly skin)
=434
Saurus Scar-Veteran w/ GW Tepoc itzl coldone
=141
Skink priest (DS caddy) w/ tepoc 2x dispel scrolls
=135

Core

2x units of 20x Saurus Warriors w/ shield spear musician
=572
2x units of 16x Skink Skirmishers w/ Blowpipe
=192

Special

6x Saurus Cavalry w/ shield spear
=220
3x Terradons
= 105

Rare

3x Salamander Hunting Packs
=195

=1994
comments or tips?

Guyver OmegaX
04-09-2007, 07:48
I've just re-started Lizardmen after a long (about 8 year) break, and there's a lot of useful information around here about them. If you're just starting with them (and haven't done so already), I strongly recommend reading the Lizardmen Tactica article in the Tactics forum - very useful and gives useful ideas for units.

My first thought - so light on magic it makes angels cry. Not necessarily a bad thing, but I rarely see a 2k army without a decent magic user (2 level 2 mages is common where I play, which would lead to a large amount of splat on your part in their magic phase, with no return in your turn).

I would suggest dropping a unit of Saurus to make points for a Skink Mage (or two). The Diadem of Power and Cube of Darkness are useful items to take for them.

Also, why 16 Saurus in a unit?

Imperial Dragon
04-09-2007, 10:25
i agree with Guyver OmegaX you need magic no so much to splat the enemy but even make them DS caddies also your should make the sarus units 20 strong if your facing a army such as Wood Elves or empire etc who can bring alot of fire power having the extra man in the unit will help. with the few sarus guys you have droped maybe try and add a skink priest with DS *edit, one unit of skinks is'nt going to protect your warriors to great so maybe if you want drop the scout skinks to get missle fire into them and not your sarus's.

my two cents thats all

*EDIT: everything else is fine

kroq'gar
04-09-2007, 10:40
My army rarely field saurus foot. Core are skink skirmishers and scouts, special are krox and cav.

The tepocs are good, but use a lvl 1 skink with diadem (store two power, meaning he generates 3 dispel on his own). That plus your tepocs gives a respectable 7 dispel dice.

Cavalry work better in units of 6-7, as you cant cover any more frontage without.

your scar vet doesnt have much of a purpose. Being immune to phyc doesnt mean his unit is, and ignoring ward saves isnt any good against average soldiers. I mount mine on a cold one, whack him with 6 cold ones with the blessed standard, and give him scimitar of the sun. With tepoc he gives 6 attacks, with sotek he gives 7 st 5 attacks. For a hero, none can match it (few lords can). The blessed standard is one of the best in the game, march to a flank and activate for a charge. (you unit should dish out about 18 st 5 attacks plus coldones on the charge). I use this to remove even units of grail knights from the board.

Saurus foot, like chaos warriors, have some serious flaws in them. I prefer my army as a mobile strike force (and throw in a stegadon, it attracts that much firepower its worth it alone).

Been playing them for about 14 years and there still my favorite race (recently empire worming in there though)

gerrymander61
04-09-2007, 13:13
You do know that you only get rank bonus for ranks of 5, not 4, right?

The blade of realities is extremely situational, drop it. Mebbe make the scar-vet a JSoD, or put him in the unit of Cold One Knights, which, is too big. Again, with the '4 doesn't give rank bonus' comment. Drop to 6, 5 if you put the Scar-Veteran in it. I also don't really understand why you have Tzlacotl on him when he's not a JSoD or trying to go into a Tzlacotl unit.

Drop one unit of saurus and boost the other two up to 20. This way they'll live long enough to hurt things if playing against shooty armies.

other than that, listen to kroq'gar, he's got some nice suggestions (although I do like Saurus infantry, i say keep em)

forgottenlor
04-09-2007, 15:05
I agree about needing more magic. I would also if possible drop the great weapon on your general and buy a sword of might and a shield.

trripper
05-09-2007, 02:58
Alright, i upgraded this list above, modified some stuff. Anything wrong?
im wondering if i should go magic heavy, or stick with what i have.

Guyver OmegaX
05-09-2007, 07:13
It looks quite good to me now, not that different to the army list i'm working on really! :P

I don't think you 'should' go magic heavy - the Lizardmen army list is very flexable, and you can create some very balanced or unbalanced armies with it, all of which have strengths and weaknesses. As it stands, you have decent quick strike, short-medium range and CC options. The skinks, although not the best magic users ever, are certainly useful little blighters!

My main complaint is unused points! I work out the total cost to be 1957 (assuming your unit totals, etc, are correct), so that's 43 wasted points.

I'd be tempted to give one of the skink units the 'scout' ability - it doesn't have to be used, but at 1 point per model it's an option I always have with atleast one unit in case I want it when setting up (that'd be 12 points).
Upgrading the skink to a level 2 mage is something else I would suggest - an extra spell and power dice for 35 points is useful if you have space in the army.
Finally, I'd suggest adding a skink to each unit; 13 skinks in a unit may sound unlucky, but it's pretty useful - a unit of 12 will take a panic test after 3 deaths, and they'll often run! A 13-strong unit needs to take 4 wounds before a panic test, which can provide you an extra turn of shooting. That's another 7 points if you put him in the scout unit, giving you a total of 1498 points.

Obviously you can't do all of these, but there are some suggestions.

trripper
06-09-2007, 03:30
i added some more skinks

kroq'gar
06-09-2007, 09:27
why great weapon and maiming? Maiming is massively overpriced, you'd be better taking a magical weapon or a ward save.

also, split the skink units into 10's. give at least one jav & shield, because skinks move alot, making blowpipes pretty ineffective unless at short range. The 5+ armour in combat also helps them alot when taking on other light units.

Give your saurus characters light armour, combined with scaly etc they armour up to a very tought customer.

edit: Also, try proxy in the sarus foot before getting the models, you'llsee what i meanwhen their cav charges in.

Gabacho Mk.II
06-09-2007, 23:22
Given the list in the first post, I would suggest the following:
> rid of one unit of skinks and rid of salamaders
> replace with Stegadon and a smaller unit of skinks (generally, I dont believe that skink units work effectively when they are over 13 models... I mostly field them in units of 11 models)

Otherwise, you have a rather fast moving army, with two units of sauri to pin and hold enemy units before the bigger mosters (carnie and steggie) show up for lunchtime.

Cole...
07-09-2007, 03:38
Best setup for a Scar Vet. is Jaguar Totem, great weapon and the movement through terrain blessing plus a ward save if you want it.

TACTICS FOR THE DINOSAURS: http://www.warseer.com/forums/fantasy-tactics/5595-tactica-lizardmen.html