PDA

View Full Version : Chaos Help

The_Warsmith
04-09-2007, 15:08
i wanted to start a tzeentch themed hordes of chaos army and needed some help and suggestions, i wanted to start at around 1000pts and build it up so what would be best to take in a 1000pt chaos list? keeping in mind it's gotta be all tzeentch, i've already got some horrors but im not sure what is the best direction to go with the army.

thanks in advance for any help :D

Neknoh
04-09-2007, 20:40
First and foremost, welcome to chaos, second, I'll advice you have a look at both the Tactica and Help guides for Chaos on the Tactics forum, that way, you should probably get a good feel for it and where you want to take the list.

Do you have the Beasts of Chaos book? A Wargor and a Beastherd is very good to take as one of your three hero and one of your three Special choices, wouldn't cost too much, would add some punch and two levels of magic.

MarcoPollo
04-09-2007, 21:03
Screemers of Tzeetch are pretty important. And wargors of tzeetch from the beast book are one of my most favorite heros.

Chariots of tzeetch are good for generating powerdice. But sticking an exalted of tzeetch in a tzeetch chariot is an expensive endeavor.

Some other items that people like are:
1) Doombull of Tzeetch
2) Chaos lord of Tzeetch with Dragon
3) Minotaurs of Tzeetch (they cause fear).

Personally, I don't like all out tzeetch and prefer an undivided balance. Too many powerdice wrecks the spirit of the game for me (both for and against). But that is just me. I like to get the fighting on! Too much magic makes me weep.

Neknoh
04-09-2007, 21:19
So, I guess what me and Polo would suggest would be something like:

Exalted of Tzeentch, nothing fancy equipped, something basic
- ... ca. 200 points (at most)

Wargor of Tzeentch, equally non-fancy
- ... ca. 150 points

Marauder block, 20-25
- Lightarmour, Shields, Full Command... 165-200 points

Chariot of Tzeentch
- ... 140 points

Beastherd
- Full Command

Use rest of points for either small Horror Unit, or small Screamer Unit, or a Firewyrm or two

The_Warsmith
05-09-2007, 08:22
im not completly new to chaos but i just never knew which direction to go with an army there's just too much choice! so that helps thanks alot guys :D

@pollo im a vampire count at heart so i love magic and probably why im drawn to tzeentch :D

MarcoPollo
05-09-2007, 15:16
Tzeetch magic is pretty versatile, I find. One of the most versatile really. I can understand why you like it.

Here are a few of my favorite Tzeetch kits.

1) Wargor BSB of Tzeetch.
2) Wargor of Tzeetch (staff of Darkoth)
3) Wargor of Tzeetch (goretooth)

But I really only use about 4 levels of magic at 2k games. Just enough to make the phase interesting, but not too overpowering. I works really well.

Lord Tzeentch
06-09-2007, 14:19
Tzeentch is amazing! (Tho i would say that) In any size list you need to chose what your after, I mean do you want an army of mortals or beasts or abit of both? In 1k I overload on my heros i mean thats what Tzeentch cares about big...mean....fire....farting.....Champions!!

theunwantedbeing
06-09-2007, 14:37
Hmmm well at 1k tzeentch is fairly restrictive.
A champion of tzeentch can easily cost over 200points,that 1/5th your army done,and you havent even got any core stuff yet.

A unit of knights of tzeentch(not chosen) is another 200+ points.So that leaves you with about 550-600pts left.

A firewyrm of tzeentch is always fun,so your down to about 500 now.

You have horrors so no point wasting them,10 of them plus a couple of flamers is another 200pts.

So 300 points left,and you still need another core unit.
More knights means you have a hundred left.

3 screamers would round that out to a nice 1k(ish).

2 core,2 special,1 rare adn 1 character.
It's a good idea to give the character the spell familiar as that gives him 3 spells to go with his 6 available powerdice.
2 powerdice per spell,and if 1 spell is worthless you can throw 3 dice at the other 2 spells.
He can even be given a scroll.

Thats 1 way of making a tzeentch 1k army which is fairly okay.
2 knight units backed by a character,supported by some screamers and a fire breathing firewyrm will follow them.
Stick to one flank to concentrate your forces and you'll be fine.

The_Warsmith
06-09-2007, 15:01
thanks for that i've got a clearer idea of what to do now

W0lf
06-09-2007, 20:40
Tzeentch at 1k is hard.

I strictly play 2k and above.

1k is such a cheesefest that a balanced list gets destroyed.

A beastherd with wargor in is a solid investment for annoying/harrasing the enemy. Plus cheap(ish) Tzeentch characters are nice.

Mounted exalted with Halberd and shield comes in at 192 pts. Id always suggest at least one.

Other then that im kinda useless as i dont play under 2k.

Thou 4 minos, gws, la and marked is nice if you can.

Horrors are a wasted investment imho. I have 12, Purely for indigo fire.

manickze
07-09-2007, 07:51
Horrors are a wasted investment imho. I have 12, Purely for indigo fire.

Ha!!! I have 60 horrors...80 with rank filler;) coruscation is awesome.

W0lf
07-09-2007, 15:49
'Ha!!! I have 60 horrors...80 with rank filler coruscation is awesome.'

wikid. 60 horrors is 900 pts.

They are just night goblins with bound spells thrown in for ***** and giggles.

Instability means those 60 horrors die even faster in combat then goblins aswell, plus no fanatics.

Kerill
07-09-2007, 15:57
Pretty hardcore in a SOC daemon list though, obscenely powerful magic.

The_Warsmith
07-09-2007, 16:00
i chose 1k points as a steping stone to get started, i know its going to be restricted at that point limit but hey... im not gunna buy 2k point worth of troops in one go :p

i also need to build up experiance and want to get a feel for the army before i start playing big games

cheers for all your help :D

Timk1111
08-09-2007, 08:26
Ha!!! I have 60 horrors...80 with rank filler;) coruscation is awesome.

Horrors should be created with magic, not paid for IMO.

Warsmith, as a starting point, look at at 1 hero of tzeentch and 2 units with the mark of tzeentch. This gives you 2 spells and 6 powerdice to start with. Then build from there.

at 1k, i like to throw in a unit of beastmen 18-20 strong. In small games, these guys can prove to be godly as well as cheap as chips. Always full command.

I also like to fit in the Banner of Wrath somewhere. This will either waste the enemies dispel dice, or kill some enemies (both good).

Lastly, (regardless of which chaos god is used) Giants are another good choice, and tend to stop enemy Cavalry in their tracks, I find.

I am a little biased, however, as i run a Beastmen army of Tzeentch, so have the benefit of some really cheap core units, as well as ambushing to eliminate war machines, so i dont need screamers.

Good luck, and post your list when you have it. (Unless ive missed it somehow :eyebrows:)

Tim