PDA

View Full Version : Basing a Titan

Thoras
04-09-2007, 15:35
I'm about to start work on building my new Revanent Titan, but i have no idea on the best way to base it? How do people generally base titans? May sound like a stupid question but i'm not really sure where to start. Thanks in advance.

Bookwrak
04-09-2007, 15:51
They usually don't. A titan is already big and rather unwieldy. I'm basing my warhound, but that's because I think scenic bases are cool.

Thoras
04-09-2007, 16:03
They usually don't. A titan is already big and rather unwieldy. I'm basing my warhound, but that's because I think scenic bases are cool.

If you don't base it, how do you stand it up?

Culven
04-09-2007, 16:15
The titans I have seen stood on their own quite well. Besides, a base could make it quite difficult to fit the model on the table.

Bookwrak
04-09-2007, 16:29
If you don't base it, how do you stand it up?

That is why the Omnissiah inveted 'feet.':chrome:

Deamon-forge
04-09-2007, 16:31
What size are we talking about Epic or 40K size?

The_Outsider
04-09-2007, 16:36
40k-

Step 1) Assemble Titan

Step 2) Buy Ork/Tau/Eldar/DE battleforce

Step 3) Remove all pachaging from said battleforce

Step 4) Remove battleforce from spure leaving the parts ready for construction

Step 5) Jump on said plastic parts until the consistency of gravel is acheived

Step 6) Glue said gravel/plastic hybrid substance onto Titan base

Step 7) Adjust hybrid mixture to taste

stogzilla
04-09-2007, 20:11
the feet on my friend's titans are in mid-stride stance, one slightly forward, the other slightly back. Each has a foot that looks like the doors on a drop pod after they've fallen to the ground. This allows most titans to stand up well-balanced without the need of a base.

Thoras
04-09-2007, 21:26
That is why the Omnissiah inveted 'feet.':chrome:

... and there was me woundering what those things on the end of his legs were! I'm just suprised it stands up on its own.

Thoras
04-09-2007, 21:27
What size are we talking about Epic or 40K size?

40k size ,.

Archibald_TK
04-09-2007, 21:39
This is a titan painted by Blue Table Painting (http://www.bluetablepainting.com/view_gallery.php?galleryID=982)
It may give you some ideas on how to base it. I like the way they managed to give him a dynamic pose thanks to the additional support in the center of the base. It shall be quite interesting to tinker with that idea as your are building a Revenant and they are very fast moving Titans.

Feor
04-09-2007, 21:54
Isn't the Revenant one of the Eldar Titans, though? They don't exactly look as stable as the chunky Imperial ones do.

Your best bet might be to put a CD sized base under each foot, that way you don't have one massive base taking up 1/8th of the table, but you get more stability than the feet themselves would give.

Thoras
04-09-2007, 22:05
... and there was me woundering what those things on the end of his legs were! I'm just suprised it stands up on its own.

http://www.coolminiornot.com/117776

Been looking at that, and i was aiming for that kind of base

Lord Inquisitor
04-09-2007, 22:08
The revenant is definately going to need a base, especially if you go for a dynamic pose. Fortunately, they're not so big that you can't get away with an appropriately-sized round base on the table.

The Imperial warhound, on the other hand, is probably okay without a base.

RexTalon
04-09-2007, 23:27
The heavier the base on something that lithe the better. I'd go with a wooden base with the bottom hollowed out and filled with metal. You could drill nickel sized holes in the bottom and fill them... with stacks of nickels...

You could try to find an all metal base, but good luck.

Actually I'm an Imperial purist, so I hope your titan is crushed under the mighty foot of Man. :)

Demonrich
04-09-2007, 23:37
I jigsawed out a 7 inch diameter circle and then got a sander on the edges to give them a nice angle :) Looks about the right size to me, and won't fall over.

IronWarsmith91
05-09-2007, 00:34
Try masonite. For the Revenant, maybe 7" in diameter? I don't know the exact sizing. A masonite base will provide some stability, and if you feel ambitious, use some rare-earth magnets (http://www.amazingmagnets.com/index.asp?PageAction=VIEWCATS&Category=25595)
to attach your titan to the base to make it easier to transport. I use the trick on diorama pieces featuring walkers, although nothing on the scale of a titan.

Kymmerus
05-09-2007, 00:40
About the Most I've had experience with is a Barbed Hierodule that I've been working with... mind you they come with bases, but rare earth magnets hold his feet to it reasonably well...

Ailaros
05-09-2007, 01:17
The only problem with a big metal or wooden base is finding a way to make sure the titan stays attached to the base without having to put a drywall screw up into the titan's foot.

As for the finished product, I'd either do some serious rubble (like part of a building) or something that you wanted to put on a base, but it just wouldn't fit on there, or have a bunch of your favorite enemy race running away.

Feor
05-09-2007, 01:31
I am of the opinion that every Titan with a scenic base should be required to have either an Ork or a Khorne Berzerker trying to beat the thing's toe into submission by pure strength of arms. :)

shin'keiro
05-09-2007, 03:21
Heres what i did with mine.. it has one leg standing on half a chaos rhino... and as you can see it gives a real feeling of its size in comparison with the tiny rhino which it dwarfs. The other foot is standing on a gurder which has bent under it's weight.

http://img205.imageshack.us/img205/5670/84006441sx3.jpg

RexTalon
05-09-2007, 05:00
The only problem with a big metal or wooden base is finding a way to make sure the titan stays attached to the base without having to put a drywall screw up into the titan's foot.

There's something wrong with this? I have lag bolts holding on my titan's arms.

Calden
05-09-2007, 07:59
I have mine based on a cheap kitchen chopping board. There's a hefty screw going deep into one of the legs which holds it in position.

Thoras
05-09-2007, 08:22
Heres what i did with mine.. it has one leg standing on half a chaos rhino... and as you can see it gives a real feeling of its size in comparison with the tiny rhino which it dwarfs. The other foot is standing on a gurder which has bent under it's weight.

http://img205.imageshack.us/img205/5670/84006441sx3.jpg

Absolutely loving the base on that, what did you use as the main material for the base itself?

Darnok
05-09-2007, 09:02
While not being the optimum for the look, I found the most practical solution to be a tray with handles. Like this one:

http://aka.fotovista.com/dev/0/0/00022600/l_00022600.jpg

I do base my 40K scale Gargant on one like these. This way you have place for a scenic base, and can carry the beast around without the danger of damaging it when doing so. The rim of the tray can be modelled like broken walls, so it doesn't look that bad.

Thoras
05-09-2007, 09:12
While not being the optimum for the look, I found the most practical solution to be a tray with handles. Like this one:

Image was here

I do base my 40K scale Gargant on one like these. This way you have place for a scenic base, and can carry the beast around without the danger of damaging it when doing so. The rim of the tray can be modelled like broken walls, so it doesn't look that bad.

Smash the kettle, milk jug and sugar bowl up and use them as scenery? :)

shin'keiro
05-09-2007, 11:06
Absolutely loving the base on that, what did you use as the main material for the base itself?

Thanks - i used MDF cut out to 5" diamater.

Slaaneshi Slave
05-09-2007, 12:07
I use a 12" round cheese board (and you thought Dreadnoughts have big bases) with cork pieces glued to the base on my Reaver. See the link in my signature for WIP pictures of the base.

LawrencePhillips
05-09-2007, 12:52
On 40K Minis like hormaguants, I glue 2p or 1p coins to their bases. The same principle would work for a titan, you'd just need something heavier (or lots of coins).

Slaaneshi Slave
05-09-2007, 13:06
A cheese board is plenty heavy enough for a Titan, as resin is very light.