PDA

View Full Version : New Trek Series: Your ideas

Inquisitor Engel
28-08-2005, 17:20
Since I've arrived back at school, I've found a large amount of time during which Star Trek: The Next Generation or Deep Space Nine are on Spike TV for a good two hours each.

Having had the discussion about 'Enterprise' being cancelled, I was wondering - What would the next Trek series be? Obviously some changes are in order.

And here, we have some rules. ;)

Presume that it has a sizeable budget, both in terms of hiring a competent but mostly unknown cast, and in special effects.
Reasonable cast suggestions - Don't say that Christopher Walken would make a good captain, because he'd never do such a thing. TV cast-overs are acceptable, but movie stars generally are not.
It may take place at any point in the Trek timeline, including any point past the Enterprise E.
The ship MUST be a Federation ship. If it's an Enterprise, it must be NCC-1701(X) Any letter is appropriate with the exception of I, O and Q. (For the same reason as liscence plates) (Use http://www.st-intelligence.com/ship_database/dom/st_dom.php or http://www.lcarscom.net/fsd/starships.html as a reference for ship classes and sizes)
Bringing in characters from previous versions is allowed, but it must be feasable (No Nexus tricks either) and the characters must be alive, as well as the actors who play them.
And with that, I let you all loose. :)

My suggestionswill come in later today.

Live long, and prosper.

Warlord Gnashgrod
28-08-2005, 18:16
If they do another TV series any time soon. After having to cancel Enterprise(the irony was, they went into that last season knowing it was to be the last season, and it was the BEST. SEASON. EVER of Enterprise) they may decide to give TV a break. I've read a rumor that they might do another movie soon, though. I think it was going to be set between the end of Enterprise and the beginning of the Original series.

My hope is that it'll be about the war between Humanity's Starfleet and the Romulans.

Archaon
28-08-2005, 19:03
My view is you are doing the same mistakes which plague St Trek since Voyager (pure coincidence that at this point Berman took over full control :D ).

Star Trek is rooted so heavily in its own bible that it is almost impossible to tell good and gripping stories without kicking the bible out.

This attitude of "It has to have xyz or else it is not Trek" has stiffled it beyond salvation. True creativity can't be if you post borders around it..

Take a contemporary show.. Battlestar Galactica. We had a campy TV shows with a black/white scheme.. on one side the shining heroes and the other the even shinier Cylons. Basic hero stuff.

Now the new show.. Starbuck is a hardcore woman, the XO is an alcoholic, the President is becoming a religious nutcase, Adama has no clue how to solve all that.. i don't say that only shows with doom and gloom are good shows but BSG doesn't shy away from sacrificing a few holy cows for the sake of freshness. And what is more important.. they don't back away from f... with fans. Sure.. some went overboard and got angry that the show didn't pick up where it left in the 70s.. that Starbuck is a woman, Boomer too etc. They may have lost some viewers but to be honest those close minded people i and obviously the producers can live without them.

The current producers of Star Trek would rather cut of their legs than change the established formula for fear of alienating their viewer base but in a time of good SF and other genre shows Star Trek sticks out as uninteresting, sterile and plain simply boring.

Next Generation had luck because it came at the right time.. in the 80s and beginning 90s there was nothing similar, people were starved for Star Trek and it had an extremely good cast. The first 2 and a half seasons sucked bad but then it picked up and delivered some really amazing episodes.

Then came Deep Space Nine.. a different premise (at first no ship but a permanent base), also a very good cast but more importantly it differed enough from Next Generation to be in itself unique. It was risky at times and tried new stuff.. a big story arc, some clever humor (Next Gen had almost no humor at all) and some very cool episodes in the best Star Trek tradition.

Now the abomination called Voyager.. big potential totally gone to waste. You had a good premise.. a ship outside Federation border encountering new species everyday. Look what they made of it.. the Maquis get themselves absorbed mid first season until they were little Federation drones, space phenomenom of the week, stopping at every corner to research the newest dust particle, bland characters and actors.
Ratings start to slip and the solution? Introduce a hot blonde with boobs in a catsuit.
Ratings slip again? Next solution.. include the Borg, heavy special effects and much fighting
The end after 7 years? The worst.. big fight again, big explosions and Voyager in front of Earth. The End. :wtf:

Enterprise.. again a good premise for a show but squandered again. Bland characters and actors again, standard "fly from here to there and have adventures" stuff which was done better on previous shows and sometimes even just copying episodes from movies, other ST shows or novels..
It started out fine but nearing the end of season one they slipped, season 2 was abysmally boring and the solution?
Have a season long story arc with absolutely no basis in Star Trek canon with archetypical villains, more action and did i mention the hot brunette with big boobs and the catsuit?
Season 4 was acceptable if only made for the fans to tie up some stuff open in the whole universe (how did Klingons appear withoud ridges, the beginnings of the Federation etc..).
Oh yeah.. and Space Nazis.. :rolleyes: :wtf:

For me the only solution would be to throw out the Star Trek Bible, let Trek rest for a few years and closely watch other shows.. what works, what people like and dislike. Just because you have Star Trek doesn't mean you can do whatever you want and people will accept it because it is Trek.
If i were executive producer it make a show about Section 31.. the super secret service guys working in the background and standing outside Federation law and philosophy.
I'd show the dark side of Star Trek because wherever there is light there also has to be shadow. Show a group of operatives travelling around the galaxy doing mostly illegal and morally questionable stuff but making sure that the Federation is safe.
I don't need them torturing aliens or some similar gory stuff but people utterly convinced they have to get their hands dirty for others to stay clean. This show would stay away from those clean Starfleet officers on their shiny bridges.. the cast would lie, steal and distrust anyone and they would say "Go to hell Prime Directive" if it suited their goals.
Trick is to still portray them as likeable since they will do questionable deeds all the time.

That would have some great potential in my eyes but i fear nothing will ever change if Berman/Braga don't get the foot and are never allowed near ST again.

Sorry for the rant but this has been nagging me for quite some time..

Cpt. Drill
28-08-2005, 19:08
i recon they could do a wicked episode where they go back to the original cast and the captian (insert name) wakes up and is like wow... all these adventures have all been a dream... oooooooooohhh

that would be wicked!

The pestilent 1
28-08-2005, 19:42
the next trek series is set between wasisname from wauntem leap (such a crap series that i dont even remember his name :rolleyes: ) and Kirk.
ie: the federation : Romulan war.
or was that the film :confused:
well, one of the two is set there apparently.

Kargos Bloodspit
28-08-2005, 19:43
Why does it HAVE to be the enterprise? Surely it might be an idea to diversify?

The pestilent 1
28-08-2005, 19:48
as far as we know there was no enterprise during the fed :romulan war.
course as far as we knew there was no enterprise before Kirks so...
besides which, the Enterprise is the Federations flagship.
that, and Voyager was a little... bad, so we have a 50/50 split on non-prise series dint we :p

Inquisitor Engel
28-08-2005, 21:22
Okay, I've edited it so that it doesn't have to be the Enterprise, but if it is, it can't have a different designation.

The rest are fairly open. You can make it as dark and gloomy as you like. I'd be hesitant to include anything involving a Wells class (Timeship a la Voyager) would probably just much with things even more...

Anyway, knock yourselves out.

My personal recommendations -

Use the Enterprise E. It looks cool, and already has an established history, only despite Picard's popularity, Patrick Stewart has too many film commitments now to be of use in a TV series.

The solution? Promote Riker. Jonathan Frakes is one of the better actors in all of Star Trek , and the character of Riker has been offered promotion more than once (And was Captain for a short stint while Picard was Locutus of Borg). He's always decided to step down to Commander and be Number 1 on the Enterprise.

Picard retires (or finally gets promoted to bloody Admiral) and Frakes steps up. Data is dead, so we don't have to worry about Spiner writing Data-centric stories. The majority of the cast are relatively minor. Beverly Crusher was promoted in some of the fiction to Captain of a medical ship, and the only character anyone remembers is Geordi, and Kunta Kinte hasn't had much work lately. ;)

The enemy... Sci-Fi doesn't want exploratory "enemy of the week" episodes any more, and the success of series with constant enemies (Stargate's Goauld and BSG's Cylons) with occasional pace-breaker episodes in the middle is the way to go.

For Star Trek, this means setting it in a war. The Borg are obviously out, having been defeated centrally by Janeway and once before by Picard. (Although it's possible these occured at around the same time, given the time travel bit) But who... a traditional foe would make sense.

The Romulan Empire is a decent enough foe, but would require an extreme stylistic makeover before anything happens... (shoulder pads?)

The Dominion is decent enough, but too single minded and almost TOO oppressive and large and "doomy" for an extended series. A side-story perhaps, but not the focus. (That story's called Deep Space Nine after all!)

The Klingon Empire... now, we know that the Klingons are now chummy chummy with the Federation, but numerous episodes of TNG and DS9 have shown that there's still old blood in the Klingon Empire. If Worf becomes a member of the Council, and is a victim of a coup, things could be cool.

But those are ideas, and none of them particularly fleshed out. I don't think a new enemy is the answer (Nemesis proved that) but an old enemy with new leadership and drive might be the answer.

Then again, I might be entirely wrong. :)

Wraithbored
28-08-2005, 21:29
MY idea would be this: A Ship falls into a temporal/dimensional rift and is trapped inside it and every episode the cast is trying to get out of it. However what happens is they get involved into interesting facets of the past and future of the star trek universe, and also other dimensions like fluidic space, alternate relaities etc. The problem would be the special effects and of course the show's plot would be riddled by plothole torpedoes.

I haven't really thought much about the cast but it would be nice if the captain finnaly wasn't human and some nonhumanoid crewmembers might be nice as well!

The ship would be Intrepid class or smaller than that, no idea on the name or design. What do you think?

Son of Morkai
28-08-2005, 21:37
I'd like it to not be about a Federation ship at all. Yes, it is what makes Star Trek what it is. It is also boring as hell. Try something new for once. Oh no! The crew is in trouble! Better beam in every senior officer to save them! Bah! Cut that as well. You know why Federation ships end up in serious trouble every 24-48 hours? Because the captain never learned to deldgate. More plot and less "We're all going to die because of the space radiation of DOOM!"

Give us the Federation/Romulan war if you must, but from the point of view of the Romulans!

bertcom1
28-08-2005, 21:42
You know what I might like?

The Enterprise B or the Enterprise C, (if it has to be the Enterprise)

With the setting between the thawing of the cold war with the Klingons of the movies and the federation-klingon cooperation of the next generation, I think there could be room to have an interesting story where Starfleet has to rediscover itself and give itself a role in the changing political climate.

Conflict between the old guard of the senior officers and the new attitudes of the juniors.

Throw in personal grudges between the crewmembers instead of harmony, and even boring stories like routine merchant shipping inspections can become interesting to watch.

Have something showing the hypocrisy of the Federation with their Prime Directive. A culture sends its first ships out of its home system to the nearest suitable planets, only to find the UFP flag firmly planted there already. "Congratulations, you are now part of the galactic community. Unfortunately, all suitable worlds close to yours have already been claimed, your technology is immeasurably inferior to ours, so the only thing that you can feel proud of is your culture and ethnic foods, but our diversity of culture is greater, and our foods are of greater taste and diversity." And have the culture do something like collective depression, or a futile war utterly crushed by the Federation etc. "We thought we were alone in the galaxy, that we could claim the stars for our children, but we were wrong, the Federation got there first, now we have nothing and are doomed to be confined to our home for eternity"

Have people question their orders, and Federation policy.

More importantly, have major characters get lasting injuries, or even death.

And End the stupid thing of having all the senior officers always going on the Away Missions.

That sort of thing would be far more watchable.

Wraithbored
28-08-2005, 21:43
^Humm interesting concept! Really show WHY some races dislike the federation so much! If the federation trully did just good and well all round the galaxy wouldn't it be far larger and have many more allies? And perhaps some clarification how the Church and human religions died out, how money was abolished bassicaly how we don't screw up in the future!!

Wraithbored
28-08-2005, 21:51
Oh and one suggestion in THIS series NO MORE LOIXANA TROY!

Inquisitor Engel
28-08-2005, 21:57
The Enterprise B or the Enterprise C, (if it has to be the Enterprise)

My next suggestion was going to be B, because C was in service far too short. And I prefer the Excelsior class ships. ;)

B is interesting, the only problem would be that we have to recast a Captain Sulu really... but your points are all excellent ideas. ;)

bertcom1
28-08-2005, 22:09
My next suggestion was going to be B, because C was in service far too short. And I prefer the Excelsior class ships. ;)

B is interesting, the only problem would be that we have to recast a Captain Sulu really... but your points are all excellent ideas. ;)

I thought Captain Sulu had the Excelsior? Or is it a different Captain Sulu on Enterprise B, ie that helmswoman Sulu in that last movie with Kirk?

Enterprise B would be good, the Excelsiors are elegant ships, plus its around the right time to still have significant numbers of the classic movie-style Constitutions in service, perhaps making the occasional appearance.

Inquisitor Engel
28-08-2005, 22:39
I thought Captain Sulu had the Excelsior?

You are indeed correct, it's Chekov that features on the B, but he's still a Commander. The Captain is Harriman (Alan Ruck, Ferris' best friend on his Day Off. ;)) and according to the books, Demora Sulu does indeed become Captain.

But we can ignore that - Harriman can be whoever we want.

Archaon
28-08-2005, 22:49
Sorry to rant again but here it goes..

2 out of 3 other ideas (excluding mine) would be rehashing old things already done in the same universe.

Engel wants basically Next Generation meets Deep Space Nine and Wraithbore wants to redo Quantum Leap in the Star Trek universe.

Can't you come up with something original?

The other idea has some merit but Star Trek was also about dealing with contemporary issues in a SF setting.. the Cold War is long gone and is being replaced by the War on Terror.
How about a show set after the Dominion War where, as a recurring theme, some Changelings simply refuse to leave the Alpha Quadrant alone and set up terror bases in hidden locations? Just a quick thought...

I don't have the final solution how Trek can be "saved" but i also realize that something very original and groundbreaking (for Star Trek anyway) has to happen if it wants to reclaim the SF TV throne it held for so long and it surely won't happen with idea rehashing and too tame shows.

Inquisitor Engel
28-08-2005, 23:05
Engel wants basically Next Generation meets Deep Space Nine

Umm... If you bother to read my post, you'll notice that I use DS9 as a good reason NOT to include the Dominion as the primary enemy.

Using Riker and LaForge is for a reason - Connection. The majority of people who like Star Trek grew up with TNG, and have, for the most part, been disappointed with all the seasons since.

So why not keep something people know, as well as including credible actors in the role?

And I don't see you coming up with anything. ;)

Wraithbored
28-08-2005, 23:07
Can't you come up with something original? Hell if I could come up with something original I'd be on a set and not in this line of work that I am in! :p

Archaon
28-08-2005, 23:24
Umm... If you bother to read my post, you'll notice that I use DS9 as a good reason NOT to include the Dominion as the primary enemy.

Using Riker and LaForge is for a reason - Connection. The majority of people who like Star Trek grew up with TNG, and have, for the most part, been disappointed with all the seasons since.

So why not keep something people know, as well as including credible actors in the role?

And I don't see you coming up with anything. ;)

Substituting the Dominion for another military enemy doesn't make it better.. we had a big war arc and it was done well enough (for my taste).

I agree that Riker is a good enough actor but i want some fresh faces not some rehashed actor. Besides i think that Frakes is doing well enough in the director and producer department to pick up a weekly series again..
And why would the inclusion of already known actors make it a better show= Just because we know the characters?
Sorry.. i seem to want something different from a show. I don't want to to be warmly and comfortably embraced by a show with characters i know inside out. I want a show which grips me, spins me around and never lets me think to do something besides while it runs on the TV. Some shows now are doing that.. Star Trek failed at that for a long time.

And have you read my postings? I suggested two possible shows in my two postings in this thread, the section 31 idea being my favorite - could be even coupled together with the War on Terror proposal i had. Section 31 vs. terrorists. Might work.. might suck.. who knows.

Son of Morkai
28-08-2005, 23:24
Orginal?

The Captain is a total ******. He follows all the guidelines and rules, but bends and twists them so that, somehow, they justify the murder of thousands. He doesn't go on any missions himself, instead have others do the dirty work. This not only means he's lazy, but smart - he's setting up others to be the fall guys incase anything goes wrong. Some of the crew don't like this, and leak word to the Federation.

There is a mutiny from the "good" crew members. End episode with the heroes slightly winning when a big Federation vessel pulls up alongside. Next episode - the Feds beam aboard, help the bad guys stop the mutiny. No one is killed. Follow this with trials. I don't know the Federation punishment for mutany, but some of the good guys should die (hung, if possible). Survivors are sent to penal colonies. From there, things should get better. The plot should be solely about getting revenge. Perhaps one of the survivors was married/in love with on of those that was killed.

Inquisitor Engel
28-08-2005, 23:38
And have you read my postings? I suggested two possible shows in my two postings in this thread, the section 31 idea being my favorite - could be even coupled together with the War on Terror proposal i had. Section 31 vs. terrorists. Might work.. might suck.. who knows.

I'm not trying to please the hardcore fans, I'm trying to appeal to the masses. ;)

Wouldn't anything involving Section 31 be something like '24' to a large extent? Rooting out terrorists before something happens...

I just don't view it as Star Trek, which is a reason I think DS9 ended up being less well recieved by the general public, it didn't FEEL like Star Trek...

Archaon
28-08-2005, 23:49
Well.. the masses have spoken and taken a big dump on Enterprise (pardon my wording) and Enterprise was the most generic of the bunch. Real template storytelling and boring as hell.

Well.. 24 is hugely successfull but i too don't want a carbon copy Jack Bauer torturing a Changeling with a phaser on low intensity.

Star Trek: Section 31 should be a show about some hardass guys and girls living by the creed of "The End justifies the means". Basically a not so nice version of James Bond in space with themes like "Is it right to let an innocent man disapear if it saves the lives of others?" and about people who without hesitation would shoot to kill at a bad guys back.
It would obviously be a very mature show and thus won't happen in this form because ST is extreme mainstream but ine can dream.

It was just a quick thought up connection to my Section 31 idea.. My main gripe is the oh so clean and utopian Federation which, honestly, i'm sick of. It worked when i was young but being 30 in a few days i realize such people are not human. They don't have any real flaws and are perfect all the way.

I want edge, suspense and WTF? moments in showsand with these clean characters its almost impossible to achieve that.

I want realism too which is hard to do when the entire command staff will do hell and venture in a potential dangerous zone.. in a real military they have lower ranks to do that (but who cares for redshirts anyway :D ).

It doesn't have to be a counterterrorism unit.. i just want to see some real characters in the Star Trek universe. Smugglers, ex Maquis, people on the fringe of the Federation. You guessed it.. i want Firefly in the Star Trek universe :D

Seriously.. the show has to leave the gospel according to Roddenberry and Berman. It has to become surprising and innovative once again and for this you need fresh blood with untied hands.

Kohhna
28-08-2005, 23:51
And perhaps some clarification how the Church and human religions died out, how money was abolished bassicaly how we don't screw up in the future!!
New Serise: Star Trek, The Death Agony Of Capitalism.
Begins after the Bell Riots (see the DS9 where they go back in time), charts the decline of the capitalist system, through the glorious prolitarean revolution and finishes 7 serise with Jean-Luc Picard going back in time to strangle the last buisnessman with the guts of the last priest!

David Gerrold, Peter David and (controversially) China Meiville to head up the writing team. Peter Falk to star (if he's still alive), Gary Cole as the new captain (of something) and Micheal Ironside as a recurring guest star.

Well, I'd watch it.

Inquisitor Engel
29-08-2005, 00:00
My main gripe is the oh so clean and utopian Federation which, honestly, i'm sick of. It worked when i was young but being 30 in a few days i realize such people are not human.

I think Bertcom's idea for the Enterprise B holds a lot of weight, the main driving force behind the greatness of Battlestar Galactica is the moral ambiguity of many of the situations.

The Federation is indeed extremely hypocritical of itself, at least it became so at some point between Kirk and Picard.

It isolates worlds that are not yet "technologically ready" and as soon as they try reach Warp drive levels, they beam down and say "What's up, join our Federation or else no one's going to want to trade with you, form alliances, or even attempt to expand or colonize."

Then again, I want to see the old uniforms return. The red ones from the movies are the best. No leotard. :p

Archaon
29-08-2005, 00:05
I could also live with that.. everything but stereotypical space cloud of the month shows.

And one other thought.. please oh please tune down the technobabble. It became very irritating and is bad storytelling if all it takes to pull the ship free or defeat an enemy is some babble by the science or engineering officer. :rolleyes:

Kiro
29-08-2005, 00:24
Hmmm, is it even possible to do something? I mean, DS9 ended with peace between the Dominion and the Federation, and Voyager ended up with the Borg getting owned.
Who else is left to fight?
It's been suggested that aside from the Romulans, the Beta Quadrant hasn't been that explored, though personally do not see what can be done with this idea.

Oh, and if it ever came to a vote, I'd veto a B or C series any, and every time. We got enough of the past with Enterprise, and I have no great love for TOS or the early movies....

Emperor's Light
29-08-2005, 00:51
Well, if it's just gonna be another Star Trek show set on a starship (named Enterprise no less) then what's there to talk about? Been there done that. You'll just be rehashing four previous shows. We saw where re-hashing gets you. Enterprise got cancelled.

Say what you want about DS9 not being well received, it at least got 7 full seasons and critical acclaim. What did Enterprise get?

Personally I like the Section 31 idea.

Wiseman
29-08-2005, 04:42
id like to see someting completely different to what has been done, not a ship lost in the delta quadrant, not a space station, and not enterprise. Maybe a Klingon perspective would be good, or a Ferengi(however you spell it)

Wintermute
29-08-2005, 08:59
..snip..

The solution? Promote Riker. Jonathan Frakes is one of the better actors in all of Star Trek , and the character of Riker has been offered promotion more than once (And was Captain for a short stint while Picard was Locutus of Borg). He's always decided to step down to Commander and be Number 1 on the Enterprise.

Picard retires (or finally gets promoted to bloody Admiral) and Frakes steps up. Data is dead, so we don't have to worry about Spiner writing Data-centric stories. The majority of the cast are relatively minor. Beverly Crusher was promoted in some of the fiction to Captain of a medical ship, and the only character anyone remembers is Geordi, and Kunta Kinte hasn't had much work lately. ;)

..snip..

Promote Riker to what rank Admiral? He finally accepted command of the Titan at the end of the dreadful ST:Nemesis.

Crusher was shown as captain of the Pasteur in the ST:TNG episode All Good Things - an alternate future which doesn't come to fruition and IIRC La Forge was also shown in command of another alternate future episode of Voyager. Unfortunately Data could be bought back in the form of B4 from Nemesis - if he (Spiner) wasn't already signed up for another Berman produced sf show.

BTW there is one character who could carry a series you have neglected, Worf. However the writer/producer necessary to bring us such a show - who had a great deal of input into the better ST:TNG episodes featuring the Klingons and DS9 is otherwise engaged saving humanity from toasters ;)

I agree with the previous comments advocating the jettisoning of the Roddenbury/Berman ST Bible. This particular version of the future is dead and buried and is no longer relevant in the 21st century. It worked for ST:TOS, it partially worked for ST:TNG - a show which began to work late into its second season but began to fall apart during season five- it WAS thrown out for DS9 but reinstated for Voyager and Enterprise.

I would be very interested to see the proposal for a new Trek show put forward by JMS and Bryce Zabel a few months ago - but they are keeping very tight lipped about their pitch (BTW its not going ahead).

Sojourner
29-08-2005, 09:35
Put. Riker. In.

Every show needs a beefy head-kicker to oblige the mandatory fight scenes.

lord_blackfang
29-08-2005, 09:46
Here's my suggestion:

A show about the exploits of Marissa Amber Flores Picard - Jean-Luc's adopted daughter, princess of the planet Essex, Grand Admiral of all Kids' Crews.

If you don't know what I'm talking about, you're not a real Star Trek fan!

Wiseman
29-08-2005, 10:44
im not a real star trek fan:(

The pestilent 1
29-08-2005, 12:53
who can they fight?
8572!
the guys from space station 7 (was 7 wasnt it?) didnt convince they council that humanity is actually kinda okay afterall.
then they found a way to escape the nanoweapons.
cue a massive invasion fleet attacking the galaxy, the dominion fleeing likey wimps before the advance, whats left of the borg fleeing the galaxy altogether (they can probably find a way out of the galactic barrier right? theyd get Owned by the O ofcourse...) romulans and klingons fighting til the last.
and the entire galaxy eing expunged of all life.
okay, probably not, the federation will find a way to hold them back, atleast til the 29th century.
but a good old galactic invasion could be fun? maybe instead of 8472 the O breakthrough the galactic barrier and fight the Q.
which as we know has bad, nasty effects of the material universe.

but im rambling, i just want to see what the breen look like is all.

Kiro
29-08-2005, 13:09
Ee, we've seen what the Breen (http://www.m-nomura.com/st/images/breen.jpg) look like already. You mean without their armor?

Kargos Bloodspit
29-08-2005, 13:12
Ee, we've seen what the Breen (http://www.m-nomura.com/st/images/breen.jpg) look like already. You mean without their armor?

what , you mean they don't look like Princess Leia underneath..... :evilgrin:

Wiseman
29-08-2005, 13:26
:evilgrin::evilgrin:

Kiro
29-08-2005, 13:36
Lol, yes, they're pretty much an unabashed copy of Boushh from SW, aren't they?

Sojourner
29-08-2005, 13:49
Turning ST into a 40k-style world of nightmares and gods (Q Continuum) is the way to go IMO. Starfleet is a sanctuary but comes at a price - years at a time completely isolated from society in deep space, and everpresent danger of demigodly intervention or hostile alien species.

Kiro
29-08-2005, 14:09
So...like Voyager? :D

Warlord Gnashgrod
29-08-2005, 19:10
Well, I would love to see something that fleshes out the Romulans more.

The Romulans are one of the 3 great superpowers of the Alpha Quadrant(the other 2 are the Federation and the Klingon Empire) yet very little is known about them in general. At least very little compared to both the Federation and the Klingons. Heck, almost every other race has gotten more coverage than the Romulans(the Breen are one of the few exceptions to this)

Oh, and before you mention the film "Star Trek Nemesis" as giving us a lot of info on Romulans, technically it wasn't Romulans that were featured, but the offshoot race Remans. That really bugged me about the film. I heard it was supposed to feature the Romulans, but we got these Remans instead.

More stuff on the Romulans would be very nice.

I also like the idea of a Section 31 based Trek Series. Something darker like that would be quite refreshing.

Kiro
29-08-2005, 19:54
How would you propose to feature more Romulans? After the Dominion War it would all be samey-samey, and chalking a new conflict up to the Romulan's mercurial nature would sorta ruin things set up by DS9...

Tom
29-08-2005, 20:08
Ooh, I have an RPG that could work for this. I didn't come up with the idea, and since it hasn't happened yet (mid-term plans) it's still a bit raw.

Federation finally collapses into civil war and basically splits in two. First two seasons (2380, 2381) deal with the civil war and the breakup of the Federation into the UFP (the asic Federation, contains Earth, Vulcan, Betazed, Bolias etc.) and the FCU (Confederacy, with more system independance and greater autonomy for the various sections, containing Andoria, Trill, Nausicaa, and capital planet Dathaniel prime). Seasons 3, 4 and 5 deal with the Confederacy (Numerically small and inexperienced but well-led and technologically advanced) dealing with the Holy Venizath Empire (Religious nutters who attack in droves and are utter psychos) and reacting, resulting in the Confederacy and Federation reallying to take them on along the Andoria-Ythnærl front.

The episode system switches between three or four ships in a strict order:

CNS Invincible- Fleet Flagship of the Confederacy, basically a mobile starbase/command centre.

CNS Endeavour- Confederate 2nd Batallion Command Dreadnought

And a couple of Federation ones, but that's the other cell of the RPG. Very action-oriented (in the style of later DS9).

Kiro
29-08-2005, 21:11
Why would the Federation split in two :wtf:
Last time I looked, the Nausicaans weren't in the Federation....

ArtificerArmour
29-08-2005, 21:13
excelsior. the guy who plays sulu going nuts on his own ship with tuvok. i dont care for the rest of the cast roster.

the episodes in turn focus on either tuvok or sulu, and the finale of the first series will focus on them both being abandoned in a shuttlecraft.

the next series is just them two, floating in space, with nothing but a pack of cards and rusty tricorder.

then tuvok goes into pon far and attempts to mate with sulu...

Mad Doc Grotsnik
29-08-2005, 22:02
I'd like to see a jump FORWARD in the timeline to be honest.

I mean, look at the end of Voyager, with that groovy plating and nasty big arsed weapons etc...

Accelerate it a couple of hundred years, and cover the DEATH of the Federation. Could be cool.

But then I'm not really a Trekkie.

Kohhna
29-08-2005, 22:37
Yes yes, we've all seen those web-sites. Actually that could be the next Trek serise;

Star Trek: The Slash Generation
All the episodes would just be members of the bridge crew of the existing serise travelling through time shagging each other and generally acting completely out of character under a serise of unlikely circumstances.

Writing team: Hirschfeild, Gigerhoff and the rest of the Lexx production team.

Well, I'd watch it.

Kiro
29-08-2005, 23:49

YESSS!!!!
Brilliant idea! :p

Wiseman
30-08-2005, 00:15
exactly what they are looking for

Lexx
30-08-2005, 04:35
I'd like to go off on a totally new direction with a series called "Star Trek: F.I.L.E."

FILE would stand for 'federation intersystem law enforcement' and would be set on a 'law enforcement vessel' that is part of FILE and basically serves to deal with crime and other intersystem issues in the federation.

This series would deal with the federation from the inside and go into some detail about how their society works, how it evolved from ours, etc.

it would also deal with the issue of multiculturalism on a huge scale. Also there would be plenty of social commentary, along with some occasiuonal violent action against criminal groups.

The orions would be the main bad guys, and as a recurring character how about Harcourt Fenton Mudd the fifth?

It makes more sense for a police force to be dealing with crime issues and people like Mudd and Cyrano Jones than for a starfleet mainline cruiser.

The crew would be the older races from trek, NO NEW RACES!!! I might even go all the way and have a non human (andorian) captain.

grizzly ruin
30-08-2005, 05:09
If i were executive producer it make a show about Section 31.. the super secret service guys working in the background and standing outside Federation law and philosophy.

This is very similar to something I had thought would be an interesting premise.

I think a plot that followed a crew of pirates/smugglers would be really interesting.

And either all of the crew or some of the crew are federation spies/operatives.

I think having only some of the crew be operatives and the rest being a mix of outlaws (not just from the federation), aliens and outcasts could make for some interesting plots and character interaction.

The show could constantly be a test for the Federation operatives as they work beyond the comfort of the Federation and have their high ideals, morality, philosophy, loyalty, etc. put to the test.

I think either the captain or the 2nd in command should be a Federation Operative, but only one of them, as well as one or two more operatives filling XX position in the crew.

Combine this with one or more of some of the other suggestions mentioned so far, for example; sometime in the future after TNG, during a war or cold war.

There would be a lot less of the Lewis and Clark in space stuff, and none of the instant-fix it, all you can eat buffet of TNG, it would have room for both high morals and dirty dealings, could encompass a variety of Races (amongst the crew and in encounters), and would allow for both lower technology and rare/new/unique technology to show up in the show side by side.

Kiro
30-08-2005, 16:28
Nah, as much as I'd like to see a non-human captain, it's unlikely to happen, for the same reason a series won't be based on an alien species - we have no common ground for empathy. Of course, I realise that I could be wrong, I suppose back in the days of TOS, no one imagined there would be a Trek sequel with female, or black, captain....

Wintermute
30-08-2005, 17:49
I suppose back in the days of TOS, no one imagined there would be a Trek sequel with female, or black, captain....

Why not?

The original pilot, The Cage, featured a a very strong female character who was Enterprise's Executive Officer referred to as Number One. You forget that TNG is closer to Roddenberry's original concept than TOS is.

Kiro
30-08-2005, 18:23
Nooooo, I mean who would have thought about it? I'm not saying it was unlikely, just that it probably never occurred to anyone.

Gaz Taylor
30-08-2005, 23:30
I personly would like to see something based on the outcome of THIS (http://www.startrek.com/startrek/view/series/TNG/episode/68356.html) episode. ;)

Kaoslord
30-08-2005, 23:47
Why does it need to be a federation ship at all? There's a whole economy in the Startrek universe that can be explored. Why not a band of traders running a freighter and trying to scrape together a living?

Kiro
31-08-2005, 00:17
Because it might be boring? :confused:

Kohhna
31-08-2005, 00:48
Because it might be boring? :confused:
What, like firefly was boring? :wtf:

Kiro
31-08-2005, 01:21
I've never seen firefly....

Archaon
31-08-2005, 02:48
You better run godammit and pick up the DVD box or i'll Trek all over your a.. :evilgrin:

Ehm.. :o :angel:

Got carried away a little bit..

Anyway.. Firefly is (at least for me) the best contemporary SF show. Far superior to Trek, better than the Stargate Shows and a little lighter on the mood than Galactica.
Watch a show where there was no bible or fear of alienating a customer base and you'll see what good writers, good actors and fresh ideas can accomplish.

Kiro
31-08-2005, 03:00
*invites controvery*

If it's on, I'll watch it, but otherwise, I'm making an effort not to watch it, for the same reason I refuse to watch Donny Darko.

;)

Archaon
31-08-2005, 04:30
And the reason would be?

Wintermute
31-08-2005, 06:37
I've never seen firefly....

Your lucky.

It easily one of the worst SF shows ever made.

BTW have any you seen the news about the next Trek Film which is set two years after Enterprise, but is not ship based?

Lexx
31-08-2005, 06:50
I tried watching firefly because traveller fans said it was so much like traveller. I managed to suffer thru 3 eps before being driven away.

God, a western in space, right down to the twangy music.....

vforvenator
31-08-2005, 17:15
BTW have any you seen the news about the next Trek Film which is set two years after Enterprise, but is not ship based?Any links to hand, Master?

Kiro
31-08-2005, 17:26
And the reason would be?

Rabid fanboys and a wave of hype.

Kargos Bloodspit
31-08-2005, 17:44
Any links to hand, Master?

Only link on imdb that i can find pertaining to Star Trek and in the not too distant future:
http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0408305/

vforvenator
31-08-2005, 17:49
Thanks, great ones. :evilgrin:

Wintermute
31-08-2005, 17:52
Any links to hand, Master?

But of course. :D

Try Here (http://www.cinescape.com/0/editorial.asp?aff_id=0&this_cat=Movies&action=page&type_id=&cat_id=270338&obj_id=49531)