PDA

View Full Version : Daemonhunters or Witchhunters?

Wyatt
05-09-2007, 11:35
Well, I have a Daemonhunters army currently, but as it contains no actual Daemonhunters as of yet it could go either way.

(Basically, I just have Imperial Guard and an Inquisition-decorated Chimera and Baneblade (though it's a crappy custom-made one hardly worth calling a Baneblade)).

I was wondering what would be the best one to collect? In terms of playability and variety/detail of models.

DarthSte
05-09-2007, 11:48
I personally prefer Witchhunters - I think the gothic look of the Sisters of battle and the more excentric looking inquisitors are really cool. I have about 2K of them, but as yet they are completely untested in battle. I would honestly suggest it depends on what sort of armies you are mostly going to be playing against. MEQs I'd say Daemonhunters, with Grey Knights. Hordes I'd go with Witchhunters for all their flamers.

ctsteel
05-09-2007, 11:49
you can mix the two together as allies in the same list - so you get the ability to choose the parts you like best and include them in one force.
both armies have some similar models ie stormtroopers, assassins, transports and inquisitors/retinue (some slight variations in what is in each retinue but not much)

the daemonhunters only unique models really are the grey knight ones.
the witchhunters get the sisters, arcoflagellants, penitent engine, exorcist and immolator, seraphim, repentia, priests.

so if you want a wider model range for collecting/painting etc, the WH are more likely. Both ranges have beautifully detailed models though (general consensus I've seen in the past is they are overall some of the best GW ones out there)

It also comes down to how you want your army to play - what sort of fighting style do you prefer? which do you like the background of more? do you have any colour schemes in mind?

as I mentioned above, you can mix and match, so I'd suggest you start with an inquisitor and some retinue (as these can be used as either DH or WH), and you can ally them to your guard army.

Then pick up either a box of grey knights, and/or a box of sisters, and add them in, to get a feel for what they are like, and whether you like the look of them when painted and fielded.

From there you can get some common units like stormtroopers and assassins, as they exist in both.

Really though as mentioned the armies can be allied quite well with each other (i play DH with WH/IG allies mainly but I chop and change depending on my mood at the time). Having a variety of the models lets you play whatever list you feel like at the time (rogue DH with daemonhosts, grey knights, sister-heavy etc)

DarthSte
05-09-2007, 11:53
PS. I think having the guts to make a baneblade is a big deal, even if you don't think it is that great. I wouldn't know where to even start. So you have may respect just for the effort!

Wyatt
05-09-2007, 13:08
Both ranges have beautifully detailed models though (general consensus I've seen in the past is they are overall some of the best GW ones out there)

That's one of the main reasons why I decided to go for either WH or DH.

Hmm... Witchhunters do have very cool and detailed models. (I just looked at the miniatures gallery on the GW website, I never noticed the vast range of models before.)

But then again, DH have Grey Knights. But I always remember them looking better than they do - they look kinda... stupid. (Don't kill me, GK fans!)

DarthSte
05-09-2007, 13:15
I don't think the GKs look stupid. They are very clean looking. They look like pompous paladin knights who would sneer at you for being less than them. I just feel that they are cold and faceless, whereas the sisters are fiery and passionate. Do you want some T800s or some Sarah Conners?

xibo
05-09-2007, 14:12
I guess that depends mostly on whether you like flamers/melters or you prefer hammers and heavy bolters ( which are assault 3 rather than heavy 3 if you get close enough... ).

If you like to field lots of GK, the choice is set. If you want lots of SoBs or hive scum/cultists, then it's set too.
If you want 'just' loads of stormtroopers led by an inquisitor, you can use whatever codex has more of the wargear you want to equip your inquisitor lord with.

MorningLightMountain
05-09-2007, 15:16
(rogue DH with daemonhosts, grey knights, sister-heavy etc)

nononono. no.

Radical Inquisitors can't use Grey Knights. It's either Daemonhosts OR GKs. If you're keeping to the lists.

DarthSte
05-09-2007, 16:26
Also I don't think you can field sisters and grey knights in the same force, can you?

NallTWD
05-09-2007, 16:31
You can actually go both. I do!

You can normally only take a single ally, but the rule is suspended when it's from multiple branches of the Inquisition. Grey Knight Terminators and Seraphim make for some nasty tabletop mayhem.

ctsteel
05-09-2007, 22:53
nononono. no.

Radical Inquisitors can't use Grey Knights. It's either Daemonhosts OR GKs. If you're keeping to the lists.

not quite what I meant, the commas are ORs not ANDs to represent three totally separate examples, sorry if that was not clear

Kasonic
05-09-2007, 22:57
I actually own some Daemonhunters, and while I haven't been able to use them much, I was wondering what the opinion was on Daemonhosts. The one time I did play with them it was mixed; one nailed a Teleport roll and assaulted a big shooty squad of Necrons, then got the Ordnance blast next turn.

The other daemonhost Re-knit first turn and terrified my units twice(no successes thankfully) :(

They'd be so much better if they were T5. It's too bad, since I love the idea of a Radical Daemonhunters force, but they just don't seen worth it to me.

ctsteel
05-09-2007, 23:17
i have taken them when I want to have a fun and unpredictable style of play which is more about disrupting the enemy's plan, than overly implementing my own (though that is a plan in itself!)
they are handy for tying up scoring units to prevent objective taking, or can be used for character hunting as well potentially. they aren't scoring units so I use them as disruptions to the opponent while my own storm troopers/sisters etc move to the objectives, with less fire being aimed at them.

but they are random indeed - my use of them has seen the majority of times roll for reknit form, on the first turn when they deepstrike (yay, useful). however having your opponent wound one, and then saying 'well i guess that brings them down to three wounds' is always good for a laugh. and their strength is a hidden surprise in combat too.

Hand of Dume
06-09-2007, 03:28
i have a daemonhunters army and have been very successful with them. heavy on the terminators. you can't beat a strength 6 nemesis weapon. also being able to deepstrike even if the mission doesn't call for it. plus the purgation squads with psycannons (3 shots,strength 6, ap4, no invunerable saves).

jackveneno
06-09-2007, 04:28
i have an idea to use a whitchhunter force with imperial guard allies, but i have a question after reading this thread.
can i also place some GK terminators in there as well??

Korvos
06-09-2007, 06:10
Yes, you can.

You'd be allowed 0-1 HQ/Elite/FA and 0-2 Troops from the Daemonhunters list.

I'd reccomend Grey Knights/Daemonhunters. I think theres rumors of them getting updated with an Inquisition Codex around the time the Chaos Daemons Codex comes out, but I'm not sure on that. Whether they do or not, they're still very fun and have nice models. Just realize that if you go pure Grey Knights you'll have very small numbers.

Or you can go with a general Inquisition theme using IG, witchhunters, and daemonhunters. Space marines to go with your radical Inquisitors.

starlight
06-09-2007, 07:34
The next Inq/Ordos book will have all three main branches (Malleus, Hereticus, Xenos) in the same book. Since they share half of their selections (ISTs, Assassins, Orbital Strikes, vehicles, Allies rules, wargear, etc) the overall book wouldn't be *that* big. Apparently it's an 2009-10 thing. Not on the table yet, but there as an idea everyone wants to see.:)

Wyatt
06-09-2007, 07:47
Yes, you can.

You'd be allowed 0-1 HQ/Elite/FA and 0-2 Troops from the Daemonhunters list.

I'd reccomend Grey Knights/Daemonhunters. I think theres rumors of them getting updated with an Inquisition Codex around the time the Chaos Daemons Codex comes out, but I'm not sure on that. Whether they do or not, they're still very fun and have nice models. Just realize that if you go pure Grey Knights you'll have very small numbers.

Or you can go with a general Inquisition theme using IG, witchhunters, and daemonhunters. Space marines to go with your radical Inquisitors.

Would they still take up FOC slots?

For example if you were to have:

4 sister's squads
1 grey knights squad
1 infantry platoon

...would that could as 6 troops or just 4?

ctsteel
06-09-2007, 08:12
they still take up slots yes.
basically when you bring in allies they take up slots in your parent's FOC, but you *must* fulfill the 1HQ/2troops requirement, from your parent list. After that you can do what you want, within the limits of how many allies can be taken

DA Company Master
06-09-2007, 08:13
If money is a limiting factor, you will generally eat up all your points allocation with the GK/DH list quite quickly, meaning less of a strain on the old wallet.

I have such a list, and what they lack is AT punch. With their strongest shooty weapon being S6 your looking at Dreadies or Land Raiders to get any Lassies in your list (or allied IG, or Inq retinue, but they are limited to Plasma Cannon or MMelta).

My experience is that DH are very unforgiving, The GK's individual stats are very impressive, but due to high points cost you end up with a small number of scoring units, which can be an issue in itself for objective taking missions.

Also if you take dreadies as AT units, once they are gone any vehicle heavy army with AV12, or more, will pose a great threat. I tend to play my GKs with a std. LRaider for the TL Lassies and more staying power. But it needs supporting coz again, once that goes your up the greek....

Korvos
06-09-2007, 08:34
Yeah, Grey Knights require careful technique to play. I usually run with two dreadnoughts (TL lascannons) and a standard land raider in addition to meltabombs on the justicars.

But if you want some AT power you can also go with allied Imperial Guard (who aren't limited to plasma/melta).

Infantry platoons, sentinels. A leman russ can be used in an AT role. I wouldn't recomend Armored Fist unless you want a chimera to harass them or just don't want a full infantry platoon. Inq Stormtroopers tend to be a better mounted force.

Hand of Dume
06-09-2007, 13:24
if you're looking for something against heavies with a high armor value, give your brother/captain or justicar melta bombs. i equip my grand master with a chainfist too (along with his nemesis force weapon, extra attack too). use the orbital strike also. it may be limited to a piece of terrain, but with the deviation it can extend alot further away from that terrain piece. i also use dreads with the lascannons. in all, don't let the heavies intimidate you.