PDA

View Full Version : New daemonic army possible?

Kriegschmidt
05-09-2007, 10:57
Hello.

I am in a predicament. I play 40k regularly and have a couple of chaos armies (amongst other things). I have a reasonable collection of daemons. However, I really can't afford to spend any more money on models (trying to move house, buy new kitchen, etc.)

Basically, the question is: with what I already have, what else would I need in order to have a legal daemonic Warhammer army? If I would need to buy a load more models then I won't bother even buying "Hordes Of Chaos". But if I already have enough or would only need 1 or 2, then I'll consider buying "Hordes..." and having a game or two. Here's what I have in my collection:

Lord of Change (actually the Galrauch model but I prefer the model to the LoC one. In other words - either Galrauch or a LoC! :))
9 Horrors
10 Flamers
12 daemonettes
6 screamers
9 spawn
Giant Spawn (from Imperial Update 2007)
Giant Spined Chaos Beast (from Imperial Update 2007)

I don't know if the last two can be used in WHFB. Whilst I appreciate tactical/list-building advice, I would only play very rarely, so I'm only interested in having a legal list, not building a tactically sound one.

Any help you could provide would be greatly appreciated! :)

Kregschmidt.

DarthSte
05-09-2007, 11:57
Well I'd recommend you start off by buying a box of marauders and a box of chaos knights. And get a mounted nurgle lord...
I thought you were going to check out "hordes..." over your lunchbreak.

Kriegschmidt
05-09-2007, 12:01
Go away ;)

Neknoh
05-09-2007, 12:03
If you want to go for pure Daemons and use a Greater Daemon in 2000 points, you can unfortunately only stick to daemons of that god, so, at 2k with Tzeentch Daemons, it gets difficult, including some Beast elements would however be rather fitting and wouldn't detract all that much from the Daemonic theme of the army.

I'd go for something like:

Lord of Change

Level 2 Bray Shaman with something nifty

15 Horrors
- Flamers are optional

15 Horrors
- Flamers are, again, optional

4 Screamers

A Beastherd or maybe two

A unit of Tzeentch Minotaurs, maybe two units if points allow it

Four Firewyrms of Tzeentch

I am currently a bit too tired to have a look in my book, but I think that should ammount to arround 2k points, maybe slightly more, it would be a decent start for a Tzeentchian daemon army.

If you want to go pure Daemons, I suggest you see if you can pick up the Storm of Chaos book off of e-bay or from your local shop (if they still stock it), and do a Daemonic Legion army

DarthSte
05-09-2007, 12:10
If you want to go for pure Daemons and use a Greater Daemon in 2000 points, you can unfortunately only stick to daemons of that god, so, at 2k with Tzeentch Daemons, it gets difficult, including some Beast elements would however be rather fitting and wouldn't detract all that much from the Daemonic theme of the army.

If you want to go pure Daemons, I suggest you see if you can pick up the Storm of Chaos book off of e-bay or from your local shop (if they still stock it), and do a Daemonic Legion army

Kreiggie - I have the Storm of Chaos book, can discuss it with you tonight - when I have it to hand. As Neknoh says, you're going to struggle without buying new models by using the "Beasts.." or "Hordes.." but the Daemonic Legions list may be more adaptable for what you have. If you have a few games and you enjoy them - then you can think about adding a couple of units of mortals. If Mrs Kreiggie doesn't notice anyway.

Kriegschmidt
05-09-2007, 13:17
Well I managed to sneak a peak at the "Hordes Of Chaos" book at lunchtime and it seemed that if I get myself an "exalted daemon" I could take all my other daemons as core units (as long as I get 1 more horror) and my spawns in 2s as Rare choices.

Have I got this wrong?

Btw - I stress that I am not interested in buying new models, unless it's like "buy an exalted daemon and you have a legal army". I've pretty much stopped buying 40k models as I have so many; I'm not about to start on a WHFB army. The point of this thread is just to see if I can have the odd game with what I've got. But thanks for the advice :)

Neknoh
05-09-2007, 14:21
Get another blister of Horrors, and then it becomes "buy an Exalted Daemon and you're good to go", in fact, if going for Daemonic Legions, it gets even better, you can have your Exalted, you can then have a Herald of Tzeentch, model the new Horrors into a Command and then you'd have:

exalted Daemon
- level 2 caster and nifty gifts

Daemonic Herald
- Battle Standard Bearer, mark of Tzeentch, something nifty

12 Horrors
- Full Command

12 Daemonettes

1 Flamer Unit

1 Screamer unit

You wouldn't be able to use the Spawn though (although, put wings on one and you don't even have to buy the Exalted Daemon... I think that that would actually be kinda unique)

happy_doctor
05-09-2007, 14:49
Ina daemonic legion, you coul;d field your spawn as daemonic cavarly..If you're interested in fielding a viable (tactically speaking) army, then consider the following:
-buy 4 horror blisters (you could get them cheap off e-bay)

-use the dragon as a greater demon of tzeentch and the spawn as changebringers (they are suitably mutated, if you ask me...)

so, you have:
-greater demon of tzeentch
-11 horrors with command group
-10 horrors with command group
-5 screamers of tzeentch
-6 flamers of tzeentch
-2x4 changebringers(=spawn)

a nice,competitive army all in all

Little Aaad
05-09-2007, 15:07
I like this army
I think it may struggle in some areas.