PDA

View Full Version : What to people think when playing against the new Chaos Codex?

Vedar
05-09-2007, 16:10
From what I've seen the new Chaos codex didn't really get weaker, just different.

I'm just wondering what will be called cheese this time around?

2 Deamon Princes?
Lash?
Cults?
Or is it cheese free?

Thoughts?

The_Outsider
05-09-2007, 16:13
Lash + vindicators = lol cover and lol units.

Sons of Russ
05-09-2007, 16:25
I'm thinking I'll bring bring a Vindicare and Callidus assassin if I see a two lash army....:p

Other than the lash though, I welcome the new 'dex as a huge improvement over the former and may even try it out for my loyalist heresy era legion.

Gerrok
05-09-2007, 16:32
I don't know what's going to end up being the big cheese list, but I'm pretty sure you're going to see a lot of thousand sons and plague marine armies for the first 6-8 weeks. I also expect to see the occasional 30 terminator army (with obliterators backing them up).

I do like that they tried to take the focus off the one uberlord and put it back onto the troops. I do expect to see a lot of named characters popping up in armies though, especially the death guard guy (typhus?), similiar to how half the eldar armies I faced after the eldar released all had karandras.

But the first question asked is what do I think when I play against the new chaos codex? I think that my daemonhunters are all overcost, especially my grey knights.

lordalchemy
05-09-2007, 16:42
I think its a lot of fun. Its very balanced but like we saw with the Eldar codex before it, cries of Cheese will eventually be heard. How about Tsons with an Aspa champ who has Warp time? Or an infiltrating Chosen squad with 4 power fists... and of course the lash.

Hand of Dume
05-09-2007, 16:53
I think the vindicators will be a great addition, plus the fact that dreads are now an elite, which will free up some heavy choices for me ( i like those walkers!).

Grimshawl
05-09-2007, 16:58
I think I'll be seeing alot of the same cookie cutter chaos army across the board most likely. I expect to see the lash 75% of the time. I expect it is "The Cheese " of this codex.

Madfool2
05-09-2007, 17:03
I enjoy playing against chaos, I've not lost against them yet.

Colonial Rifle
05-09-2007, 17:41
The LoS is classic Gav - would have been ok if the target unit had a ld check against it, but that would have been too logical!

Cults are pretty expensive, but do make the back CSM obsolete.

Are we sure this isn't 3rd Ed Codex: Eldar?

max the dog
05-09-2007, 20:43
I haven't played the new chaos yet but I've heard plenty of complaining. The old chaos was fun to play against so I hope they didn't screw it up.

Bloodknight
05-09-2007, 20:51
The LoS is classic Gav - would have been ok if the target unit had a ld check against it, but that would have been too logical!

I think then it would have been worthless, as it would not work most of the time (seeing that most units are LD8+). How do you assign points to stuff that almost never does anything?

My thoughts: I played two games against the new codex last weekend with my Guard and won both. The funny thing is: the units that wreaked havoc in my lines the most were the lesser daemons (I shot most of the other stuff). ;). The list seemed solid, though.

I am going to play a few games with the codex in a few weeks when I get my hands back on my DeathGuard back at uni. I am quite confident that it's possible to win without lashes or DPs.

DrDoom
05-09-2007, 21:00
I think you're not going to see many dreanoughts. The other elite choices are just better.

Tulun
05-09-2007, 22:22
I'm just glad my main 2 armies (nids and Eldar) have anti-psychic capabilities. You'll be seeing more Shadow in the Warp and Warding I think :)

I know I have never gone without Warding, and I've completely boned enemy psykers I've played against.

scarvet
05-09-2007, 23:21
I think then it would have been worthless, as it would not work most of the time (seeing that most units are LD8+). How do you assign points to stuff that almost never does anything?

My thoughts: I played two games against the new codex last weekend with my Guard and won both. The funny thing is: the units that wreaked havoc in my lines the most were the lesser daemons (I shot most of the other stuff). ;). The list seemed solid, though.

I am going to play a few games with the codex in a few weeks when I get my hands back on my DeathGuard back at uni. I am quite confident that it's possible to win without lashes or DPs.

May be a Ld modifier? i.e. Like FotD -2 flat, or WH power that compare and subtract, or even like mind war. But no....those maths are too hard for little jimmy that can't buy his own hobby tools.

ehlijen
05-09-2007, 23:40
The main point I learned to appreciate after my first game against this list:
Daemon princes and their 3+ saves are great! Finally lasguns and autocannon have a realistic chance to hurt them :D

Lashing on princes is overrated. With wings they can achieve almost the same tactical movement capabilities and if you stay far enough away to not get hit by a stray vindicator shell (they do scatter sometimes), you can't assault and have wasted the majority of the princes abilities for the turn. Lashing is much better on a sorcerer who actually stands back to utilise the range.

njfed
06-09-2007, 00:00
I like the Chaos MC list:

2 demon lords
1 greater demon
dreads
Oblits
Defilers
Oh, and some troops.

Mmmm, cheese!