PDA

View Full Version : My all close combat Goliaths

Jerak
05-09-2007, 19:03
ok so i thought i would go down a differant route with my new gang and ban all ranged weapons. Just wanna know what you guys think about this list or the concept of it.

leader
2 Chainswords 170

ganger
2 swords 70

ganger
2 swords 70

ganger
2 swords 70

ganger
masive axe 60

ganger
masive axe 60

ganger
massive axe 60

ganger
2 axes 70

ganger
2 axes 70

ganger
2 axes 70

juve
2 daggers 30

juve
2 daggers 30

juve
2 daggers 30

juve
2 daggers 30

juve
2 daggers 30

thanx for looking

Jerak

Weagmacht
05-09-2007, 20:32
The theme could be really interesting, but I think some background is in order. Why only melee weapons and no ranged weapons? I'm not saying you shouldn't give it a shot, but it seems like you're making things really challenging when you play this gang and I wondered if there is a developed reason for it?

Also, are you using the HWL for the Goliaths? If so, I think your swords are in fact Massive Swords - two handed weapons. Same goes for all of your axes. You wouldn't be able to take two of them per ganger.

Also, you might regret the lack of guns if you are playing out a Gunfight and get shot to pieces trying to block the hail of gunfire with swords, clubs, and axes. ;)

At least consider giving your leader and two or three of your gangers a rifle of some sort to provide covering fire, otherwise you'll probably see a lot of your gang lying facedown in the dirt.

You'd definitely want to pray for some decent territory rolls - Tunnels and Vents could make these guys a real threat, I would think.

Eazy-O
05-09-2007, 22:14
Hm. Without a lot of terrain, this would be suicide. Especially since you don't have any covering fire to help you reach close combat.

But, to be honest, i haven't tried or even seen anything similar yet. So... Yeah.

Why don't you give it a whirl and see what happens? :)

Lord Humongous
09-09-2007, 23:28
In a one-off game, with a lot of terrain, it could work.

In a campaign, not so much. Goliaths just don't have the skill set to make it work. You more or less NEED agility and / or stealth upgrades to keep pace with your opponents ever-improving shooting ability. You COULD do a gang like that, but you really want to be playing Scavies or Ratskins if you do, or maybe Escher or Cawdor. Plus, going without guns (and also going without HtH setups) is a waste in any campaign setting. Half of your skill advances with be BS advances (and half WS). You want to use those to best effect. That holds true even (or especially) for the above mentioned gangs.

Plus, you really don't need all those HtH fighters to win in HtH. Get the double swords on your best (and fastest moving) hth fighters, and you'll have more than enough HtH power to rip the enemy up when you make it in close.

My HtH intensive Goliath gang started off something like this (my costs may be off :

Leader- chainsword, sword, bolt pistol - 180
Ganger- sword, auto pistol - 80
Ganger- shotgun, manstopper - 75
Ganger- shotgun, manstopper - 75
Ganger- autogun - 70
Ganger- autogun - 70
Heavy- flamer, boltpistol, sword
Heavy- flamer, boltpistol, sword
Ratskin Scout (usually has leap or sprint and a shotgun)

Autoguns try to pin exposed enemies while you advance, shuguns take out more serious threats as you close, and pistols provide great back up for when you can't charge. Its very fast-growing gang because it earns good income (lots of gangers to work territory). The weapon setups are also very versatile- you won't get stuck with useless gear in your stash when you go to upgrade, and anything you do pick up, you can put to good use immediately.

Catferret
10-09-2007, 02:50
No Juves Lord Humungous? I would have thought they would work well in a CC gang. Start with pistol/knife and only 1 less WS.

They are good at soaking up Overwatch fire for the rest of the guys. Charge with them first and the opponent loses his shot against anybody else. He either shoots the Juve and gets charged by the Gangers, or he doesn't fire at all because he gets locked in combat.

Lord Humongous
12-09-2007, 02:39
I'm not personally fond of juves, especially in starting gangs. I'd rather spend the extra 25 creds and get somebody who can fight well and collect income right from the first fight. A big gang of such guys is VERY intimidating.

Forcing priority shooting means you have to be easy to hit- which means you might go down and put you that much closer a bottle test. I'd rather have good fighters and keep them in cover (or even hiding) than bad ones out in the open. And in a HtH / short range shooting gang, leadership is a pretty important stat- you will be withing 2" of team mates very often. Broken fighters are bad news.

I'm sure other people do better (lots of folks LOVE juves) but my juves do nothing but suck up money. I'll get them as the gang expands, mostly because I usually have a settlement, but they never make me happy.

Lord Humongous
12-09-2007, 02:45
I'm not personally fond of juves, especially in starting gangs. I'd rather spend the extra 25 creds and get somebody who can fight well and collect income right from the first fight. A big gang of such guys is VERY intimidating.

Forcing priority shooting means you have to be easy to hit- which means you might go down and put you that much closer a bottle test. I'd rather have good fighters and keep them in cover (or even hiding) than bad ones out in the open. And in a HtH / short range shooting gang, leadership is a pretty important stat- you will be withing 2" of team mates very often. Broken fighters are bad news.

I'm sure other people do better (lots of folks LOVE juves) but my juves do nothing but suck up money. I'll get them as the gang expands, mostly because I usually have a settlement, but they never make me happy.

Jerak
12-09-2007, 19:08
hmmm it seems that this idea may not work ah well im gonna try it any way as its gonna be a laugh. im gonna change the gang to cawdor so that my juves can get combat skills. if i find that alot of my guys get Bs upgrades then i may throw in a few grenades.

Jerak

Tomothy
13-09-2007, 02:51
You might want to consider escher as an option for agility, i think cawdor gangers get it though so it's up to you, comes down to whether you prefer stealth or ferocity as the "maybe i'll take it" skill group. Agility is definitely going to be a must with this gang to pick up sprinters and leapers so you can close with the enemy fast.

Also switching around the weapons, unless they're already modelled, to get a sword and a str 4 weapon on as many people as possible. Also your juves are pretty scarcely equipped. You've still got 80 creds left and while more swords is rather boring they're the only weapon thats really available to you.