PDA

View Full Version : North american Lions, elephants, and cheetahs wild and free?

White Tiger
28-08-2005, 19:29
Wow...
I'm not quite sure what to think.
It seems that there are plans to relese african wildlife onto North America's great plains to both restore America's past biodiversity, and save many of these species
from Extinction.

Here's an article in this subject:
http://slate.msn.com/id/2124714/?nav=navoa

Many of the animals being selected once roamed north america but died out during the effects of the Iceage and overhunting by early humans.

It is likely that their return to the wild won't affect native species who once lived alongside these animals anyway.
However I have to wonder what people living near these areas would think?

What do you guys think?

tzeentchgiant
28-08-2005, 19:49
Very cool although it sounds like a joke, i would love to see it happen.

TG

Adlan
28-08-2005, 20:04
well i think cattle farmers arn't gonna be happy.
But then, how cool would it be to have a lion pelt.

White Tiger
28-08-2005, 22:44
At least reintroduceing the cheetha to hunt pronghorn would be cool.

Verergoca
28-08-2005, 23:08
Would be interesting, there is however the danger that these african animals carry potentially lethal vira/bacteria on them to which the american wildlife isnt resistant...

Could go the other way, and kill some of the unwanted exotes in America, like the zebra-mussel (IIRC)...

New Cult King
29-08-2005, 01:58
Introducing foreign animals into an ecosystem which hasn't supported them for the last several thousand/million years is such a very, very bad idea.

Look at what happened in Australia when cane toads were introduced to control the high numbers of certain bugs which were decimating the sugar cane fields... oh, hang on, the bugs sit at the TOPS of the stalks, and cane toads can't reach them! Now cane toads are a major pest.

Not to mention the rednecks who'll be "goin' out to get me a dead lion head for mah trailer wall!"

If this is legit, it will end in tragedy...

*shudder*

Beefstick
29-08-2005, 02:25
Thing is, it probably is a bad idea. However, I can't really see where, as most of those things live essentially wild on preserves out there anyway. There is certainly a limited interaction with larger mammals, but the rest of the ecosystem has a very open exposure to them with minimal impact. I hope that something like that would work, because I want lions and cheetahs out there killing the occasional hillbilly, but I think that some sort of unforseen adverse effect is inevitable. :(

New Cult King
29-08-2005, 02:39
"Rewilding"—bringing elephants, cheetahs, and lions out of captivity to run free in parts of North America—could help save these megafauna from global extinction.

The problem lies in letting them run free, rather than keeping them in massive reserves... If they were fenced in, even on huge tracts of land, that would minimise the impact, but even so, America's ecosystem hasn't had to cope with these kinds of animals in millenia.

LordPomposity
29-08-2005, 02:49
Look at what happened in Australia when cane toads were introduced to control the high numbers of certain bugs which were decimating the sugar cane fields... oh, hang on, the bugs sit at the TOPS of the stalks, and cane toads can't reach them! Now cane toads are a major pest.

Yep, plenty of animal introduction stories in Australia.

Such as how some idiot bringing in rabbits to shoot at resulted in virus-bombing the entire continent in a (failed) attempt to get rid of them a few decades down the road.

m1s1n
29-08-2005, 03:05
Okay--I live in Montana--which is considered to be part of the great plains, and I'm gonna have to say "No freaking way!" on this one. I already have to worry about getting mauled by a grizzly, assailed by an elk, trampled by bison, and pronged by a deer. I say no to more potentially dangerous wildlife. Let things be--nature will manage itself without our help.

Wiseman
29-08-2005, 04:04
i guess releasing lions in america could have some benefits, some idiots are bound to die along the way

White Tiger
29-08-2005, 17:16
Introducing foreign animals into an ecosystem which hasn't supported them for the last several thousand/million years is such a very, very bad idea.

Not to mention the rednecks who'll be "goin' out to get me a dead lion head for mah trailer wall!"

If this is legit, it will end in tragedy...

*shudder*

Well you have to remember that these animals (Unlike the cane toad) did once roam this land.
The enviroment really hasn't changed since that time, so it could still support the animals.

The problem is the human factor.
Although most areas targeted for this re introduction are remote from inhabited areas, theres bound to be problems with ranchers and poachers.

tzeentchgiant
29-08-2005, 17:20
I don't think the environment could support them adequatly, really things have changed in the past two thousand years, I just don't think it would work without an amazing amount of human input.

Still it would be cool, even if excedingly unlikely and unrealistic.

TG

Wez
29-08-2005, 17:33
Well you have to remember that these animals (Unlike the cane toad) did once roam this land.
The enviroment really hasn't changed since that time, so it could still support the animals.
Call me crazy, but the environment has some rather subtle new features such as million strong cities, arable farms stretching for hundreds of thousands of acres and a few more million acres of ranch-land. ;) Then the biological aspect of selective breeding, which makes many animals big foodsacks unable to escape predators would make it comically easy for predators to eat. Also, when big beasts meet humans, a few humans die and then the big beasts just get obliterated.

Gah, messing with environments like that is such a bad idea. If they really cared about the wildlife, they'd help preserve the African reserves, which can easily be salvaged with a bit more pressure on certain governments and organisations.

-Wez

Freak Ona Leash
29-08-2005, 17:49
I can see it now..Johhny:."Mommy, mommy! I want to go pet the kitty with big teef!"
Mommy:*Too busy being drunken hillbilly whore to care.*
We never saw little Johhny after that...

Wiseman
29-08-2005, 23:31
so thats where johnny has got to.

this has to be the single most stupidest thing america will have done. no wait, this will add to the list of stupid things america has done....

New Cult King
30-08-2005, 01:41
Even at the end of the article, the author reluctantly admits to an unforeseen impact on the local flora/fauna.

That whole article is an embarrassment, especially written by somebody so apparently qualified.

It reads like "OMFG11!!1! Cool big lions and stuff in America would be, like, totally awesome and stuff!!11! It could be done, and even though there could be massive problems, who cares? It's totally C00L!11!!"

tzeentchgiant
30-08-2005, 11:51
most stupidest

That almost nullified your point.

TG

Wiseman
30-08-2005, 11:59
almost but not quite;)