PDA

View Full Version : Possible flaw in IG fluff?

The Guy
05-09-2007, 20:11
Right I was reading the doctrines list for cadians when something hit me. It says "Its population are all destined for a military life; the birth rate and death rate are synonymous" Very well. Reading further down at the bottom of the list of their doctrines you get..conscript platoons. Now if all cadians are recruited into the military, then where do the conscripts come from? This is probably a stupid question but I would like to know the answer :D

sqigglett
05-09-2007, 20:15
conscripts are just normal guardsmen who are new to the army and are not experianced.

Bookwrak
05-09-2007, 20:16
Cadia is a completly militarized planet, but not everyone is serving 24/7. Someone has to shuffle papers, run the kindergarten classes, work the slop line in the cafeteria. However, sometimes when numbers are needed at a moment's notice, these people will be given a lasgun and pushed into active service, hence, conscript squads.

The Guy
05-09-2007, 20:20
Ohhh ok sorry I just thought that the cadians all went throught rigorous training everyday or something :rolleyes: as they are the uber soldiers of the imperium

VanHel
05-09-2007, 20:23
I thought that the conscripts in this instance were supposed to be the Whiteshield youth armies.

The pestilent 1
05-09-2007, 21:09
I thought that the conscripts in this instance were supposed to be the Whiteshield youth armies.

They are.
Atleast Codex: Eye of Terror says they are.

Gen.Steiner
05-09-2007, 21:27
The Cadian 'Conscript' Platoons are, as has been mentioned above, the Youth Army.

To put that in a recognisably 20th Century context, they're the Army Cadet Force, the Hitlerjugend, the Fedayeen Saddam, and the Lower IV Form ... all rolled into one great big expendable live-fire training unit. ;)

Note, however, that the greater flaw in Guard fluff is in the realm of numbers, logistics, chains of command, and the nitty-gritty day-to-day of being an army.

LordXaras
05-09-2007, 21:27
Yes, Cadia is completely militarized, but not everyone is trained to the point of being fit to fight as equals to the famed Cadian Shock Troops. I see "Conscripts" of Cadian armies to be young soldiers (10-18) who are pressed into action alongside Shock Troop regiments despite not being 100% trained.

Gen.Steiner
05-09-2007, 21:35
As the Hitlerjugend and Bund Deutsche Madchen showed, it's unwise to underestimate kids with anti-tank weapons.

The Youth Army may be 'conscripts' and they may not be as experienced, but they can, will, and do fight like lions.

And if their performance is even remotely like those of the Guard Conscript Platoons I've fielded and seen used, that's some really deadly 12 year olds right there I tell you. ;)

Damien 1427
05-09-2007, 21:41
And if their performance is even remotely like those of the Guard Conscript Platoons I've fielded and seen used, that's some really deadly 12 year olds right there I tell you. ;)

You should see the kids on the estates in my town. I wouldn't take a troop of SAS in those places after dark.

Gen.Steiner
05-09-2007, 21:42
Exactly.

Take them, add military training and discipline, give them a weapon, point in the direction of the enemy. Go home for tea, biscuits, and medals all round. :D