PDA

View Full Version : Historical Farsight

Amornar
06-09-2007, 00:04
Just a thought I had earlier while reading a thread about Commander Farsight and I realized that his fluff has a small parallel to Julius Caesar. Both became outstanding and very popular generals for their "empire". They both conquerored and won large amounts of land for their "empire".

Then they both got a little too popular and became a treat to the current ruling caste, the senate and aristocracy for Caesar and the ethereal for Farsight. They were then both turned on and labeled traitors and the remaining generals were sent to hunt these individuals and their armies down.

Now as everyone knows Caesar bested the senate and took power for himself and was eventually assassinated. Currently we seem to be at the point in Tau fluff of the war between Farsight and the ethereal controlled empire.

Does anyone else agree with me on this as possibly being intentunal as we all know GW loves to throw in historical events/lands/races/names etc. into the game or is this just a coincidence?

Nals
06-09-2007, 01:59
yea i deff see the similarities between the two, hopefully GW will create more history for farsight but seeing how his story has progressed so far it would be a sick add on if he took power of the tau empire or something of that sort.

LexxBomb
06-09-2007, 02:55
I agree 100% particularly with shadowsun publicly destroying the statue of Farsight

Khaine's Messenger
06-09-2007, 03:16
Then they both got a little too popular and became a treat to the current ruling caste, the senate and aristocracy for Caesar and the ethereal for Farsight.

This is where things become complicated. As far as I can tell from Farsight's background, he never became "too popular" for the Ethereals to stomach...on the contrary, he's more of a lost campaigner, a great general who chased the Empire's foes beyond the horizon and just never came back. That's not exactly the same as Caesar, to my mind. A more accurate comparison might be some of the more famous commanders/privateers of the Age of Sail that went rogue in the far corners of the Earth, away from the prying eyes of the "Crown." Further, I don't think Farsight has any Imperial or even political ambitions with respect to the Empire proper, so I'm not sure how it could fit in.

But...could be.

Does anyone else agree with me on this as possibly being intentunal as we all know GW loves to throw in historical events/lands/races/names etc. into the game or is this just a coincidence?

Since I do not see any possibility whatsoever for Farsight to effectively pull off what Caesar did...eh.

khorne808
06-09-2007, 03:17
well the game "fire warrior" was based on him
so you can get a hint of his past then
even if the game was bad

LexxBomb
06-09-2007, 03:31
mis conception. Kais in the game is actually only related to farsight through family bloodlines. think of his as a father or uncle.
but if you want to go down that conspiracy line Im more then willing to follow down the rabbit hole

Khaine's Messenger
06-09-2007, 03:48
They're not even from the same planet, and the only blood relative we know of the video game character is a dead commander (who died fighting Tyranids). So I have no idea where people get this idea....

Tarquinn
06-09-2007, 07:30
They're not even from the same planet, and the only blood relative we know of the video game character is a dead commander (who died fighting Tyranids). So I have no idea where people get this idea....

They share the name 'Kais'. But that means nothing, as apparantly that name is so common, that it is the Tau equivalent of John. :p

Crazy Tom
06-09-2007, 18:06
'Kais' means 'skilled', so I imagine there's a fair few Tau carrying that particular chunk of letters around with them.

Amornar
07-09-2007, 03:36
Alright so all the 'Kais" talk aside, anyone else care to agree or disagree with the parallel?

Bregalad
07-09-2007, 08:20
Well, only a really vague parallel, so ... I don't think so.

Caesar was trying (and finally succeeding) to destroy democracy in the Roman Empire. Farsight was doing massacres contradicting Tau philosophy and was finally sacked. Both were/are anti-democratic brutal commanders, one was partly successful, the other not.

Lord Cook
07-09-2007, 19:27
Caesar was trying (and finally succeeding) to destroy democracy in the Roman Empire.

While I agree that Caesar sought personal power, he generally did so within the constraints of the law, and with the consent of the people. Remember that the senate voted him Dictator for life, while the plebian masses (the general public) were by and large wholeheartedly behind Caesar. He didn't destroy democracy, he used it to gain control of the Republic. It was his legal skill and enormous fame and popularity that won him the Dictatorship more than martial force. Even when he fought against senate forces under the leadership of Pompey, it was Caesar who had the support of the people. He needed martial force to destroy his rivals (such as Antony), but they themselves were no more the legal leaders of the senate than he was. By the time Caesar was assassinated, the Roman Republic was still not an empire.

I fail to see more than a passing resemblance to Farsight. Farsight has no hope of challenging the mainstream Tau Empire directly, and IIRC has never attempted to use his reputation to seize political power. Plenty of leaders have used their skill to expand a nation/empire's borders, that doesn't make them the same.

LexxBomb
12-09-2007, 12:58
for some reason farsight reminds me of the 'bad' guy in apocalypse now