PDA

View Full Version : Name me some tunes!

Kiro
28-08-2005, 20:45
I've recently fallen in love with choral music. I can't remember where I got it from, but I happened upon Adagio For Strings and I almost cried :cries:
Cliched, I know, but hey, different strokes for different folks....
Anyway, I took me all of five minutes to realise I'm no expert in the area, but I need to add some more of this music to my collection.
I've been trying to track down the intro music for Halo 1 & 2 (with the cliches again...) but I can't seem to find the title tracks. I also managed to get a hold of Requiem in D Minor but I need more!
Anybody want to make any recommendations?
What do you think about this type of music?

Bmaxwell
28-08-2005, 21:12
If you like Orcahest music pick up the requiem for a dream soundtrack entire soundtrack is a string quartet. very good stuff right there.

Kiro
28-08-2005, 21:16
Ah, but is there a choir in it?

Bmaxwell
28-08-2005, 21:32
i don't think so sorry! :(

Kiro
28-08-2005, 21:42
Grrr!!!
Oh well, thanks anyway Bmaxwell, I'll check it out, but I'm mainly after something choral...

Xhalax
28-08-2005, 22:06
Adagio For Strings is by Barber (if it's the same one I'm thinking of) and it features in the film Platoon and it's an amazing piece, I love it and it nearly always brings tears to my eyes too.

Choral music, I can't really advise you on. I'm more into classical than anything else.
But I would say have a look at the Pier Gynt suite as there are some fantastic pieces (such as Morning and In the Hall of the Mountain King) in there....again more classical than choral...but still worth a look.

Kiro
28-08-2005, 22:32
Phew, thanks Xhalax, I thought I was alone ;)

Xhalax
28-08-2005, 22:39
Nope.

Platoon is one of the few films...thanks to it's brilliant soundtrack that show my up for the girlie girl that i actually am. But it is a beautiful piece that I adore.

CELS
28-08-2005, 22:55
Check out a dude called Karl Jenkins. After he went solo, he did two albums with some good choral music. Especially check out his album 'The Armed Man: A Mass For Peace'. Very appropriate for 40k too.

Nope, you're not alone. I love choral music, and I'm totally dependent on it when getting into a good 40k mood, for writing/reading fiction, etc.

Xhalax
28-08-2005, 23:23
The Traitor General soundtrack has some good choral tracks with fit in very well to 40K. Not sure how well it fits into the story in Traitor General, coz I'm only up to Necropolis...but it's a very good soundtrack. Although not all that easy to get hold of.

Minister
28-08-2005, 23:52
I would recomend the Red Army Choir, they're rather good. Particularly the Russian Navy Hymn and Battle Hymn of the Republic (which I believe they did for a visiting US dignitary).

Also, off of the top of my head:
The Best is Yet to Come - Rika Murankaka - Metal Gear Solid soundtrack
Much of the Lord of the Rings soundtrack
Much of the Gladiator soundtrack

Outside of the choiral side, if we're going for merley a similar style, I would hunt for the Classical Chillout album, as it is rather good.

Kohhna
28-08-2005, 23:58
Might not be the sort of thing you are after, but you could check out Sadness By Enigma. Its sort of monk chorus. Sadness part 2 is set to a sort of funky dance soundtrack. I quite like them.

Kiro
29-08-2005, 00:01
Thanks for the replies guys (and gals!). Kohhna, that's a brilliant suggestion, I love me chanting monks, I do!

Kiro
29-08-2005, 00:25
Hey!
Why does Sadness use an M-people sounding backbeat!? It sounded good at first, but then I heard that awful tune start in.

karl Jenkins, just checked out Palladio. Nice to put a name to that tune. Finally!

Nazerth
29-08-2005, 04:31
If you're looking for something a bit different, might want to try Light at the End of the Tunnel Syndrome by Star Salzman. It mixes orchestal, choir and electronic elements to come up with something interesting.

You can get it here (http://www.starblast.org), just go to the music section and do a search.

Xhalax
30-08-2005, 10:32
I'm not sure what teh piece is called...but another very good choral piece that's in a film is the main theme music from Excallibur (also featured in the Old Spice ads in the UK too).

I'll try and find out the pieces name to narrow down the search if you're interested.

hairyman
30-08-2005, 10:37
I'm not sure what teh piece is called...but another very good choral piece that's in a film is the main theme music from Excallibur (also featured in the Old Spice ads in the UK too).

Carmina Burana by Karl Orff. The whole thing is pretty good.

Xhalax
30-08-2005, 10:38
Ooooooh thanks there hairyman.

My older sibling has it on his playlist...but it's just under Excalibur so I wasn't sure of the name of it. But i do love it, I was listening to it last night, almost full blast, which is the only way to listen to it (like In the Hall of the Mountain King).
Classic!

hairyman
30-08-2005, 10:40
I've got it at home, it & Mozart are great for doing the washing up to ;) .

Xhalax
30-08-2005, 10:42
I shall have to try that sometime since I'm still on my classical music kick at present.

CELS
30-08-2005, 11:24
Also, check out Markell's Voices. Excellent choir for chanting monk-lovers