PDA

View Full Version : Inconsistencies with the new Alpha Legion

The Warmaster
06-09-2007, 12:28
Howdy, everyone. Yesterday, I picked up my copy of WD 333 from the store near my school, and had a flick through it (I had been awaiting the issue for some time, as I am a CSM player). Upon close observation of the CSM colour schemes, I happened to notice that the Alpha Legion model provided was painted with blue-green, scaly armour trimmed in brass - overall, more subdued than the old 3rd Edition blue-green and silver, yet also much better.

This caused me to raise an eyebrow, however, as I've had a look at the new Codex (although I currently don't own it), and noticed that the AL example model in there was wearing an awful, broken-up colour scheme of blue and green (by broken-up, I mean like the current Red Corsairs colour scheme - although the broken-up effect on the RC actually looks good). Now, I was just wondering if anyone knows any reason for this extremely quick change of colours (I'm personally betting that they realized how awful the one in the CSM Codex is, and decided to paint up a better one), as such changes usually happen with each new Codex, and not a month after the Codex is released.

- N.

Keichi246
06-09-2007, 12:41
It could also be a simple "campaign" color scheme. Plenty of armies (even Space Marines) have been known to modify their color schemes to slightly better match their environemnt. Considering the "legendary" reputation that the Alpha Legion has for working behind enemy lines, they may have changed their paint scheme just to mess with Imperial heads...

It's not like the Alpha Legion has the "Honor thy colors" trait after all. :D

DaPiranha
06-09-2007, 12:52
There is also a discrepancy on another scheme, it's a black scheme with green flames which is attributed to one chapter in the codex and a different one in the white dwarf. I forget the names though

The_Outsider
06-09-2007, 13:18
Look at the current Ultramarines, far darker blue with gold trim and basically more fitting in withthe gothic feel of 40k.

Same with the new chaos codex colours, they have toned down the legions look so they don't look so much "rawwwr I am red rawwr" to more of "You shall drown in a lake of your own blood".

The Warmaster
07-09-2007, 07:02
There is also a discrepancy on another scheme, it's a black scheme with green flames which is attributed to one chapter in the codex and a different one in the white dwarf. I forget the names though

That would be Apocalypse Company (WD) and the Bleak Brotherhood (Codex: CSM). No explanations there. Most likely selected the wrong image file when laying out the article.

- N.

The Warmaster
07-09-2007, 07:05
Look at the current Ultramarines, far darker blue with gold trim and basically more fitting in withthe gothic feel of 40k.

Same with the new chaos codex colours, they have toned down the legions look so they don't look so much "rawwwr I am red rawwr" to more of "You shall drown in a lake of your own blood".

Emperor's Children would be an example of this "toning down" process - the pink sections on their armour now look like raw flesh, which I feel looks better, and suits the Chaos theme more. It also seems to reflect how the original Noise Marines adorned their armour with flayed hides in "Fulgrim".

- N.

vice
07-09-2007, 09:49
So which colours should the Alpha Legion have? Due to their fluff and the cultist conversion possibilities they were the only chaos army I was considering.

leonmallett
07-09-2007, 10:26
I'd argue that having turned to chaos, rigid unirormity has been abandoned for variations of the theme, which seems evidenced by the various units seen for the Alpha legion and other Chaos Space Marine forces. Thus the scale pattern motif appears on some, the blue and green predominant colours are there in various combinations, some have steel-looking trim, others bronze - they are chaos after all, not a rigidly defined Imperial marine force.

The Warmaster
07-09-2007, 10:27
So which colours should the Alpha Legion have? Due to their fluff and the cultist conversion possibilities they were the only chaos army I was considering.

Well, you can paint them any way you wish, really - I've actually seen a Relictors army painted yellow before. As for the Alpha Legion, they have changed a few times over the years - originally, they were dark blue with silver trim (3rd Edition CSM Codex #1). This was then changed slightly to incorporate green highlights into the blue (3rd Edition CSM Codex #2). Then the colours changed to a broken-up blue and green, with some scaly designs on a few blue sections (current CSM Codex), and then, within the course of a few months, to a blue-green scaly design with brass trim (White Dwarf #333 - this could just be a new variant scheme, though, like the Black Legion Marine with a huge Chaos star painted on his body in the new Codex). The sky's the limit with 40K - you don't have to paint them in the same colours that 'Eavy Metal uses.

As for cultists, these are no longer available for AL (until the new Alpha Legion list comes out in whichever Imperial Armour book it is).

- N.

vice
07-09-2007, 12:33
Hmm...confusing...Thanks for that!

Brother Loki
07-09-2007, 15:08
The AL frequently repaint their armour, or wear stolen armour to misdirect enemies or infiltrate Imperial forces. You can paint them however you like.

Skyth
07-09-2007, 15:19
What it is is actually GW's response to the 'you ruined my army' idea. See, obviously your army wasn't actually Alpha Legion since it isn't painted in Alpha Legion colors...

UncleCrazy
07-09-2007, 17:14
2nd ed AL were Blue and Silver. With colored drawing in the center of the book Blue and Silver with green scales on the shoulder and legs.

Edit: Note at the bottom left "Invent Unusual Colour Schems" with and AL above in Green armor. Hope this helps.