PDA

View Full Version : Ideal Unit size of Saurus Warriors

themandudeperson
06-09-2007, 23:53
I'm planning on starting a new army and I'm trying to come up with lists for all the different armies I'm stuck deciding between. Can anyone tell me what the ideal unit size of saurus warriors is? I'm thinking 15, but that is probably high.. I'm a skaven player so I tend to think of larger numbers for my units..

Gabacho Mk.II
07-09-2007, 00:16
For 7th ed, the best unit size is 20.

Having only gamed half a dozen battles with 2 units of 20 Saurus, I am fairly happy with the amount of damage (missile, magic) that this unit size can take before entering combat. However, unit sizes of 12 or 15 models just did not cut it for me.

Just an opinion. :)

themandudeperson
07-09-2007, 00:32
That many, eh? well.. there goes those chameleon skinks I was drooling over... I want to use the Sacred Spawning Of Quetzl so my army has extra armor saves almost all over, but at this rate I may have to drop a unit, downgrade my slann or just go with plain old lizardmen.

Xavier
07-09-2007, 00:54
I personally use 15 with full command, but tend to run a Slann build and count on magically enhancing their prowess.

Then again, the MSU approach can work quite well with them, lots of units of 10, with no command, they can certainly deal the damage.

It's really just a matter of preference and playing style.

Kerill
07-09-2007, 06:10
I would say it depends on the rest of the army. A fighty army with mostly saurus characters would be fine with smaller units and MSU style, but if you have a 2nd generation slann you want something big nasty and well-nigh unbreakable to keep him safe- so at least 20 (or run him on his own if you can handle it).

Decide what you want the unit to do then you can decide on the size.

ORKY ARD BOYZ
07-09-2007, 11:02
MSU? Doesn't that only work with ogres or elves? Lizardmen saurus have a movement value of 4 so they can't really pick their fights, which is really the whole point of MSU, or did I miss something.

Xavier
07-09-2007, 13:30
MSU is about having lots of small very hard hitting units, which you can use to flee/bait chargers and set up advantageous combats.

It works best with elves, no question, but Lizardmen can do the damage to make it viable and have the leadership to pull it off, no question about that.

sephiroth87
07-09-2007, 17:29
I use a unit of 15 in my southlands list. They're basically there to help out the kroxigors and hold the jaguar scar vet until he charges out.

MarcoPollo
08-09-2007, 02:39
14 with hw, shield, and a scar Vet, or 16 with a slann Mage.

Basically 2 ranks with a scar vet or 3 ranks with a slann Mage.

I never use Temple guard with a slann. Just too many points/restrictions to make it pay off.

themandudeperson
09-09-2007, 00:10
If it makes any difference, I plan to use a 2nd generation slann + a spell caddy to put the magic phase on lockdown. I also want to have one or two units of chameleon skinks to harass warmachine crews and archers. It's either that or the terradons, which I don't care for.

Malorian
09-09-2007, 05:31
I like units of 20 mainlt because then they are as strong as possible as far as static CR is, plus I find their biggest problem is fleeing to fear causing units. So I like keeping them big.

logan054
09-09-2007, 10:49
Sadly due to the lack of ws I think you really have to use these in units of 20 (unless armed with spears perhaps), chaos warriors can work well in units of 15, saurus not so much.

studderigdave
09-09-2007, 14:05
20 is a good number for saurus blocks, in large games i usually have 2 units of 20 with full commands and 16 temple guard with the slann. i hear alot of bashing on the TG, but stubborn has saved my ass alot of times, so the TG stay.

Prophet of Quetzl
09-09-2007, 17:00
Sadly due to the lack of ws I think you really have to use these in units of 20...

Care to explain what WS has to do with the unit size?